loud exhausts

DSN_KLR650
Pat Schmid

nklr: interesting observation

Post by Pat Schmid » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:31 am

I was at a rest stop on Washington SR 14. There was a group of HD riders on their Sturgis pilgramige. They're getting ready to pull back out when one of their members shouts Ah, SH*T!! His carb overflow was spewing gas and then the float valve finally seated. One of his friends comented, when we gewt home, go to the dealer and ask for part#1234, its the factory fix for this problem. The thing that amazes me about HD bikes, based on the many casual conversations I've overheard, is how many factory mods must be applied to a stock bike to make it right. BTW, latest scuttlebut in the industry is that HD sales have fallen off about 6%. Pat G'ville, NV

JRC

Post by JRC » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:41 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Schmid" wrote:
> I was at a rest stop on Washington SR 14. There was a group of HD > riders on their Sturgis pilgramige. They're getting ready to pull back > out when one of their members shouts Ah, SH*T!! His carb overflow was > spewing gas and then the float valve finally seated. One of his > friends comented, when we gewt home, go to the dealer and ask for > part#1234, its the factory fix for this problem. >
Interesting comment. However, depending on the model of Harley, that could be the same carb we have on the KLR.

scott quillen

Post by scott quillen » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:26 am

Pat, I guess all the problems with my 94 FXSTC were repaired before I bought it back in 2002 with 8900 miles on the clock. I haven't had a single mechanical failure in 6500 miles...just a shorted tail light wire and faulty left rear turn signal lamp. Other than those, it's performed flawlessly. Guess I should count my blessings ;^) Scott --- Pat Schmid wrote:
> I was at a rest stop on Washington SR 14. There was > a group of HD > riders on their Sturgis pilgramige. They're getting > ready to pull back > out when one of their members shouts Ah, SH*T!! His > carb overflow was > spewing gas and then the float valve finally seated. > One of his > friends comented, when we gewt home, go to the > dealer and ask for > part#1234, its the factory fix for this problem. > > The thing that amazes me about HD bikes, based on > the many casual > conversations I've overheard, is how many factory > mods must be applied > to a stock bike to make it right. BTW, latest > scuttlebut in the > industry is that HD sales have fallen off about 6%. > > Pat > G'ville, NV > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: >
http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html
> List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > DSN_KLR650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > >
____________________________________________________ Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Rick McCauley

Post by Rick McCauley » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:32 am

Yah, but the KLR's get the good ones, not the ones that are out of spec. :-) Rick A17 JRC wrote:
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Schmid" wrote: > I was at a rest stop on Washington SR 14. There was a group of HD > riders on their Sturgis pilgramige. They're getting ready to pull back > out when one of their members shouts Ah, SH*T!! His carb overflow was > spewing gas and then the float valve finally seated. One of his > friends comented, when we gewt home, go to the dealer and ask for > part#1234, its the factory fix for this problem. > Interesting comment. However, depending on the model of Harley, that could be the same carb we have on the KLR. Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Yahoo! Groups Links --------------------------------- Yahoo! Mail Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

scott quillen

Post by scott quillen » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:35 am

That's hilarious!!! Scott --- Rick McCauley wrote:
> Yah, but the KLR's get the good ones, not the ones > that are out of spec. :-) > > Rick A17 > > JRC wrote: > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Schmid" > wrote: > > I was at a rest stop on Washington SR 14. There > was a group of HD > > riders on their Sturgis pilgramige. They're > getting ready to pull back > > out when one of their members shouts Ah, SH*T!! > His carb overflow was > > spewing gas and then the float valve finally > seated. One of his > > friends comented, when we gewt home, go to the > dealer and ask for > > part#1234, its the factory fix for this problem. > > > > Interesting comment. However, depending on the model > of Harley, that > could be the same carb we have on the KLR. > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: >
> List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > --------------------------------- > Yahoo! Mail > Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the > tour > > [Non-text portions of this message have been > removed] > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: >
> List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > DSN_KLR650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > >
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

Eric L. Green

Post by Eric L. Green » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:37 am

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Pat Schmid wrote:
> The thing that amazes me about HD bikes, based on the many casual > conversations I've overheard, is how many factory mods must be applied > to a stock bike to make it right.
As vs. the sterling build quality of the KLR 650, which comes from the dealer as the epitomy of build quality. :-) -E

Todd Larson

Post by Todd Larson » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:46 am

--- Pat Schmid wrote:
> The thing that amazes me about HD bikes, based on > the many casual > conversations I've overheard, is how many factory > mods must be applied > to a stock bike to make it right. > Pat > G'ville, NV
-You mean, like the KLR with fasteners that fall out and stupid doohickey? __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

Rick McCauley

Post by Rick McCauley » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:02 am

Hey hey; Careful there. you're getting mighty close to home, with those remarks. Rick A17 Todd Larson wrote: -You mean, like the KLR with fasteners that fall out and stupid doohickey? __________________________________________________ --------------------------------- Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Todd Larson

Post by Todd Larson » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:13 am

I guess I needed a smiley face after that. My bad. ;) (Better yet, a winking smiley face.) Todd A17 --- Rick McCauley wrote:
> Hey hey; Careful there. you're getting mighty close > to home, with those remarks. > > Rick A17 > > Todd Larson wrote: > > -You mean, like the KLR with fasteners that fall out > and stupid doohickey?
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

dooden

Post by dooden » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:26 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Eric L. Green" wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Pat Schmid wrote: > > The thing that amazes me about HD bikes, based on the many casual > > conversations I've overheard, is how many factory mods must be applied > > to a stock bike to make it right. > > As vs. the sterling build quality of the KLR 650, which comes from the > dealer as the epitomy of build quality. > > :-) > > -E
You forgot the "at 1/4 to 1/6 the cost" at the end Want to get your KLR noticed ? Do a "Rumble Ride" with about 300 Harley's in parade format... Everybody I know that watched the ride go by noticed me for sure. Kids held there hands over there ears for the HD's and pointed and shouted "look at that bike dad" when I went by. Even wiped off some dust off the rear of the seat for my wife. Dooden A15 Green Ape