barlow trail report - photo's - 6 klr's

DSN_KLR650
Will Oberg

whistling gas tank

Post by Will Oberg » Thu Aug 17, 2000 7:45 pm

My A15's tank vent whistles when the fuel gets below 1/4 tank or so. It stops whistling when I open the cap. Does this mean my vent tube is blocked somewhere? Or is this normal? Thanks in advance Will in Cincy PS Is there any way of removing those God-awful decals on the silver tank? Looks like they're clear-coated to me. Any ideas?

Tom Zangla

whistling gas tank

Post by Tom Zangla » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:54 pm

When I shut off my new 2005 KLR 650 the gas tanks whistles. If I press down and leave up on the gas tank cap I can change the pitch of the whistle. If I open the gas tank cap the whistling stops... Anybody else have a whistlling gas tank? Tom Zangla

Guy B. Young II

whistling gas tank

Post by Guy B. Young II » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:00 pm

Yup. Simply learn to live with it, and enjoy the ride. Guy A16, which whistles every now and again. -----Original Message----- From: Tom Zangla Sent: Aug 7, 2005 9:54 PM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Whistling Gas Tank When I shut off my new 2005 KLR 650 the gas tanks whistles. If I press down and leave up on the gas tank cap I can change the pitch of the whistle. If I open the gas tank cap the whistling stops... Anybody else have a whistlling gas tank? Tom Zangla Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Yahoo! Groups Links

Gary

whistling gas tank

Post by Gary » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:16 pm

Something is up with y'alls tanks.I have never heard mine make any noise at all. Regards,Gary

saverinm

whistling gas tank

Post by saverinm » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:26 pm

Mine does as well... Especially when filling above 4 gallons and doing hard trail riding on a hot day.. Mike.... --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Guy B. Young II" wrote:
> Yup. > > Simply learn to live with it, and enjoy the ride. > > Guy > A16, which whistles every now and again. > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Tom Zangla > Sent: Aug 7, 2005 9:54 PM > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Whistling Gas Tank > > When I shut off my new 2005 KLR 650 the gas tanks whistles. > If I press down and leave up on the gas tank cap I can change the > pitch > of > the whistle. If I open the gas tank cap the whistling stops... > Anybody else have a whistlling gas tank? > Tom Zangla > > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at:
http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html
> List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

Trail-Flyer

barlow trail report - photo's - 6 klr's

Post by Trail-Flyer » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:04 pm

Leaving Salem, Oregon at 6:30am I thought I had plenty of time to get to the start of the Barlow Trail by 8:30am .. well I never took into account all the slow traffic and arrived 1 minute late :) .. after un-loading my bike I met up with a whole bunch of people I have never met before except for Joolie. And they were all riding KLR's, so they couldn't be all bad right. I'm probably gonna get some of these wrong, but there was Tom, Dave, Ron, Mrs Ron :) Gary, Joolie and myself. Seeing that I was the only one with a roll chart holder I had to lead the way ... Sweeeeet, no dust for me :) .. traffic was basically non-exsistent so we had the trail to ourselves. We were in no rush, so we just potted along enjoying the cool morning air until the heat of the eastern side of the mountain. After a quick break at the 9.8 mile marker point I must have been in my own world as I didn't notice anyone else behind me. I waited a while but still no sign of anyone else. Hmmm that's strange as I know they were a minute ago. I turn around and found everyone feverishly working on Gary's bike. He has a center stand (bad idea on KLR's in my opinion as they always seem to strip the bolts)Yep you guessed it, he had a stripped foot-peg bolt. After using 3 million zip-ties he was ready to continue. After that little bit of excitment we just coasted our way along the trail before reaching the pavement section that takes into Wamic for lunch. As we arrived at the restaraunt we noticed there were only 3 bikes in our group of 6 .. DOH!!! ... For some reason Joolies bike had given up the Holy Ghost, and wouldn't start. I gather from the convo once they arrived that they had to bump start the bike (we think it was a blown fuse). After food in a nice air conditioned room we headed back outside and Joolie decided to take pavement back rather than risk her bike breaking down again on the trail. It was here I realized everyone likes Joolie alot more than they like me, as one by one they all decided to take pavement back :( Never one to pass up some extra riding of B-Trail, I said my good- byes and took the trail back .. BIG MISTAKE ... at 5.3 miles on the roll chart the road is CLOSED (Heads up for anyone going out that way)... Uh ?? What ??? Hmmm... No big deal I thought, I'll just try and retrace the route I came in on. Well by now my speedometer is off and I'm kinda not going the right way, some of you may call this lost, but not I :) Following the slightly wrong way route I put on an extra 6.6 miles and nothing is looking familar. I turn around and took a gravel road which I thought (hoped) would get me back on track. That was a great road and one everyone should ride, sadly I have no idea which rd it was. Well scurrying around like a squirrel at a chest-nut buffet I manage to get myself back on HWY 48 and head towards Wamic ... which might sound all good and well, but that was the opposite direction of where I needed to go. Once again I pulled into Rock Creek Res and looked for away around the closed road. No joy, so I got back on HWY 48 and went north-west for a ways before noticing the dirt road we had joined 48 on early ... Euphoria !!!! ... I now know where I'm going. Following the road I look up ahead and see some barracades "Road Closed" ... sob .. I go to the end and notice it's the other end of Rock Creek Res. I pull out my roll chart and jump up and down on it in the hopes it can feel pain and I can releve some of the tension I'm feeling. Quickly realizing I need this useless piece of paper to get me back to my truck which is a gazillion miles away. I pick it up and start fumbling through it looking for a sign, any sign!. Then I notice the words "Gate Cr Ditch" .. oh wait! .. I just passed that no more than a mile or two away. I once again turn my bike around and go back the way I came until I reached the turn off for Gate Cr Ditch ... well goose bumps just ran over me as I read my slightly ruffled chart and saw this point was also a RESET mark ... There is a God!. I reset my odemeter and headed back up the trail, looking for any chip-munks I could find to see if they like the feel of a Dunlop 606 .. joking of course! :) About an hour and 45 minutes later I was back at my truck and on my way home. Yeahaaaaaa :) Photo's here: http://dive.smugmug.com/ Thanks for the ride pep's Dave Salem. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oregon_DSR