pics of pete's pelican case racks.

DSN_KLR650
R. Kaub

racks

Post by R. Kaub » Wed May 17, 2000 10:08 am

While I'm sure that everybody who makes racks for the KLR (except Givi) does a great job, I have personal experience with Tim Bernard's "NW" racks. They install easily and look and work great. I found the price reasonable, too. I highly recommend them and anything else that Tim does. Thanks. Bob Kaub

Conrad & Martha Weiser

racks

Post by Conrad & Martha Weiser » Fri Jul 07, 2000 7:29 pm

Greetings All, Who is Tim that is mentioned in regards to racks for KLR, and how do I contact him for info or specs. Who else besides Givi offers racks for the KLR? I just bought a used bike and need to outfit it to haul my gear. Thanks in advance. Conrad

Tom Roper

racks

Post by Tom Roper » Mon Feb 18, 2002 4:29 pm

Saw a reference a few days ago to Mac-D racks. Where do I find these? TIA Tom Roper '98 Concours '02 KLR 650 Mo.

decathlon_5061n

racks

Post by decathlon_5061n » Mon Feb 18, 2002 5:45 pm

Here's the web site for Mac-D http://members.dencity.com/mac-d/
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Tom Roper" wrote: > Saw a reference a few days ago to Mac-D racks. Where do I find these? TIA > Tom Roper > '98 Concours > '02 KLR 650 > Mo.

Douglas Dick

racks

Post by Douglas Dick » Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:38 am

Here is the link to the website for you. Note that prices are in Canadian $ Motorcycle Accessory Concepts & Design -----Original Message----- From: Tom Roper [mailto:sroper@...] Sent: February 18, 2002 4:30 PM To: KLR 650 list Subject: [DSN_klr650] racks Saw a reference a few days ago to Mac-D racks. Where do I find these? TIA Tom Roper '98 Concours '02 KLR 650 Mo.

btlynx

racks

Post by btlynx » Mon May 27, 2002 6:49 pm

dual-star make a rack too but you have to ask about it its about 180 $ less than both the su and nw racks

Gord Mounce

racks

Post by Gord Mounce » Mon May 27, 2002 9:02 pm

Really? Does anyone have a picture of it? I'm looking for a rack that I can mount Givi cases to. I wonder why they don't show it on their site. gord
> dual-star make a rack too but you have to ask about it its about 180 > $ less than both the su and nw racks >

pete88chester

pics of pete's pelican case racks.

Post by pete88chester » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:16 pm

I've put pictures of the racks I made for my Pelican 1520 cases in the Photo section under "Pete's Pelican Case Racks". The first pic shows the racks installed on the bike. You will notice I removed the stock Kawi tail rack & made my own. I did this to make a stronger mounting point for my racks. The racks are made from 3/4" OD, 1/16" wall tubing. They have 4 attaching points & are very ridged. There is no need for a cross brace across the back of the bike to support the cases from bending in. I have supported my full 200-pound weight on the installed case & there was little flexing. The second picture shows the left case with the mounting brackets in place. The brackets are made from 1 1/2" angle iron & welded on pins made from the plain shanks of bolts. The pins are 1 1/8" long & are covered with rubber tubing (used fuel line). You will notice that the tubing is longer than the pins on the bottom & top front bracket. This makes it easier to slide the case into place on the rack. You slip the longest lower tube partially in first, next line up & slip in the top front & finally line up the back pin & push the case all the way back so the pad lock holes line up on the rear top mount. Pad locked in place it is not coming off. The third pic is of the left rack off the bike & shows how the case fits on the rack. The fourth pic shows the right rear top mount with the pad lock in place. The rear top mount slides into a 1 1/4" piece of 3/4" tubing welded to the upper rack tube that also has the locking tab welded to it. The fifth pic of the left case top bracket shows how it slides into the front of the of the upper rack tube. I put protective pieces made from 1" x 1/8" angle iron on the front top & bottom mount points on the racks to protect the tubing from getting bent in case of a crash with the cases off. I don't have a good pic of the bike with the cases, back box, etc. all in place. I'll try to get one some time after my operation Wednesday. Hope my description here isn't too confusing. I wrote it up kind of quick like. Pete Chester A16