oxtar infinity now sidi discovery

DSN_KLR650
R. Kaub

kings tires

Post by R. Kaub » Wed Jul 12, 2000 9:14 am

I must admit to liking the looks of the Kings dual sport tires shown on their website. The prices are attractive, too. Somebody was running a pair or going to soon. How are they doing? Are they hard to get? Thanks. Bob Kaub

Eric

kings tires

Post by Eric » Tue Jul 24, 2001 9:57 pm

Is anyone running Kings tires on thier KLR and if so what do you think of them? Eric When you chatch them, THUMP them!

Brad Davis

kings tires

Post by Brad Davis » Wed Jul 25, 2001 6:27 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Eric" wrote:
> Is anyone running Kings tires on thier KLR and if so what do you > think of them?
Yes, I have the Kings K967 tires on the front and back. The rear looks like it will last 4500 to 5000 miles and the front has heavy cupping because I tend to use the front brake a lot. I though it would last 11000 miles or more but because of the cupping I will have to change it at 6000 to 7000 miles. The Kings handled fine for me and I don't have any quality issues with them. I just bought a Kenda Challenger for the rear to see if I can get more mileage out of a street tire. If I like it I'll buy one for the front too. Chapparal seems to have the best prices for tires. Brad

lmbakota@telusplanet.net

kings tires

Post by lmbakota@telusplanet.net » Thu Aug 30, 2001 10:38 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience about/with Kings Tires brand, apparently made in Taiwan? Canadian distributor Motovan is offering those tires marked as "premium tires" for less than half of the equivalent brand names like Bridgestone, Dunlop or Continental. I am specifically interested in the KT-967 model which is one of those 80% street, 20% dirt road tires with a very impresive thread. I am always suspicious about cheap tires but I used to use an unexpensive Kenda Challenger on one of my previous street bikes, which turned out to be a very good and durable tire. Lumir

Brad Davis

kings tires

Post by Brad Davis » Fri Aug 31, 2001 7:05 am

Lumir, I am almost ready to replace the k967 tires I have on my bike. I have been happy with my rear tire and I think I'll get 5k miles or more out of it. The front tire I am not as pleased with but part of the problem may be my riding style. I use the front brake heavily (so it seems) and I have SEVERE cupping of the front tread. The tread is worn in the way you would expect from heavy braking (i.e. the tread knobs are worn very unevenly). Anyway, it is so bad I will change the front tire along with the rear. It's funny because I have bought a set of Kenda Challengers to put on the KLR just like you said you have done in the past. Chaparral Motorsports has geat prices on Kenda tires by the way. I think the Kings are made in China and not Taiwan by the way. A King 967 rear and Kenda k270 front might be a good combination. Brad

Brad Davis

kings tires

Post by Brad Davis » Fri Aug 31, 2001 10:52 am

> Brad, > did you actually have the Challengers installed on > your KLR? If yes, > what size it was, do they make the 130/80-17 tire? I > used to use > these tires on the Yamaha Maxim XJ1100 and they > would last up to > 15,000 kms. Thinking about it, I never go off road > with my bike, I > ride 90% street and 10% gravel/dirt roads which > could be still OK for > the Challengers. > Regards, > Lumir
Lumir, I have a 130/90-17 Challenger which others on the list have installed without a problem. The front tire I don't have yet but will shortly. It will be a 90/100-21, also slightly taller. I think someone said the rear Challenger interfered with the chain guard a slight amount but that they moved the guard a tiny bit and all was fine. The larger diameter front should help with the speedometer reading being on the fast side and I want my KLR to be taller too. Brad __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with Yahoo! Messenger http://im.yahoo.com

mpotvin01

kings tires

Post by mpotvin01 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:12 pm

Hi Everbody, Spring is here in Canada... well sort of. I was looking at the stock skins and they were looking kinda thin 8500 km or 5200 miles to our US of A brethern. My local Kawi dealer suggested a Tire that I have not heard of -Kings Tire model KT967. Has anyone used these before? I was very happy with the stockers because I spend 90% of the time on tarmac and love the street manners of the stock tires. Any advise would greatly appreciated. Cheers, Mike in Canada (Halifax) A15

bob kaub

kings tires

Post by bob kaub » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:44 pm

Mike: I put one on two summers ago. I got the 5:10 x 17 and found it to be too big. It fit on the bike but just barely cleared everything. It was kinda grumbly on pavement. Worked well on dry dirt and gravel roads. It is a very sturdy tire. I took it off after several thousand miles. It looks brand new. You can have it for the postage. Thanks.

kdxkawboy@aol.com

kings tires

Post by kdxkawboy@aol.com » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:02 pm

In a message dated 2003-04-16 5:13:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time, mpotvin01@... writes:
> > Hi Everbody, > > Spring is here in Canada... well sort of. I was looking at the stock > skins and they were looking kinda thin 8500 km or 5200 miles to our > US of A brethern. My local Kawi dealer suggested a Tire that I have > not heard of -Kings Tire model KT967. Has anyone used these before? > I was very happy with the stockers because I spend 90% of the time on > tarmac and love the street manners of the stock tires. Any advise > would greatly appreciated. > > > Cheers, Mike in Canada (Halifax) A15 > >
Mike, It was about four years ago that I first heard of King Tires. Unless they've changed, they were a Taiwanese company basically making cloned tires, a la Cheng Shin. The opinions I've heard say for an inexpensive tire they are decent enough but nothing to rave about. Pat G'ville, Nv [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

mpotvin01

kings tires

Post by mpotvin01 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:52 am

Hey all, First, a big hearty thank you for all the advise. I think I will order a set of Dunlops D604's. They are pricey ( 400 bucks Canada money)but I don't want to chance and funny handling. I ride pretty hard on the street. Second, Mule I am not sure why I get good milage outta the stock tires. I have not hit wear marker yet, I figure I could go another 1000-1500 miles. The only thing that I figure is it's cold here most of the time and my rides are usually not that long 6-7 miles to work but they are longer on the weekends :) Thanks again. Cheers, Michael