buying rotella-t was notchy shifting nklr

DSN_KLR650
ulacam

high water and engine problems

Post by ulacam » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:51 pm

I recently stalled-out my KLR650 in high water nearly three feet in depth. We were in Copper Canyon Mexico and the road north through the town of Batopilas was closed due to construction. We had to cross the river four times to get back to the bridge. I did not have the t-mod modification on my bike. My friend, also on a KLR, but with the t-mod, crossed the river each time without problem. Anyhow, about 10 miles after the last river crossing, my KLR started to bog down / stall out periodically. It also lacked power and accleration, particularly at higher RPMs. After a few hunderd miles, and a new tank of gas, the problem seemed to fix itself, mostly. Now back in the states a few weeks, my bike still seems a little funny. It seems to lack a little power still (though this may be my imagination). Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be???

Eric L. Green

Post by Eric L. Green » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:11 pm

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, ulacam wrote:
> Now back in the states a few weeks, my bike still seems a little > funny. It seems to lack a little power still (though this may be > my imagination). > > Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be???
You may have sucked some mud up into your vent pipe and this is affecting your bike's ability to suck gas into the float bowl. Remove your vent pipe and flush it out with clean water, and do the t-mod while you're at it. -E

klr6501995

Post by klr6501995 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:42 pm

speaking of vent tubes... While cleaning ; blowing air or aerosol lube through a hose that has sat for over a day or longerl might not clean it even though you "proved" it. In Fla a hose can be cacooned by some insect. It can act like one way valve. Running a brazing rod or something through the hose can remove the cacoon. Got fooled once by a cacoon while trouble shooting a bike. --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Eric L. Green" wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, ulacam wrote: > > Now back in the states a few weeks, my bike still seems a little > > funny. It seems to lack a little power still (though this
may be
> > my imagination). > > > > Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be??? > > You may have sucked some mud up into your vent pipe and this is
affecting
> your bike's ability to suck gas into the float bowl. Remove your
vent pipe
> and flush it out with clean water, and do the t-mod while you're at
it.
> > -E

scott quillen

buying rotella-t was notchy shifting nklr

Post by scott quillen » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:21 pm

I filled mine with Rotella T 15W-40 - bought by the gallon at YES...WALMART! Not gonna argue the Walmart thing either... Cheers, Scott --- klr6501995 wrote:
> ditto on not giving wal-mart my money. > > Any car chain store has rotella. on a separate shelf > from the quarts > and cases. > > FWIW I am probably going to go 20w50 on the next oil > change. > > > > > > I've heard the "Rotella T!" refrain around here so > often, I finally > went > > to the internets to try and find where I could buy > some. Everyone > says > > wal-mart... but even if there were one near me, > they're not getting > any of > > my money (please don't argue the point on-list. > i'm sure anyone who > cares > > has heard their fill of it). > > > > Damn. Nearest distributor is 11 miles away. And > it's 11 miles of LA > and > > The Valley, so you can bet that's no 11 minute > drive. > > > > Too bad. I hate buying oil by the quart (how often > do I need -1- > quart?), > > and the selection of larger containers oil always > seems very > limited at > > auto-zone et al. > > > > erik > > > > > Archive Quicksearch at: >
http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html
> List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: > www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > DSN_KLR650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > >
__________________________________ Discover Yahoo! Get on-the-go sports scores, stock quotes, news and more. Check it out! http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html