vendor spam! big cee engineering

DSN_KLR650
underground2012

advance?

Post by underground2012 » Fri May 27, 2005 2:04 pm

Hi guys, been subscribed for a while and have enjoyed all the entertaining conversations. Very enlightening, and has solidified my enthusiasm for my 92 KLR A6. I picked it up for $510.00 on eBay because the NC title needs to be researched and transferred. Sold as "off road only". 10,300 miles on the clock, but had a broken speedo cable, so don't know if that is accurate. When I got it besides being beaten to sh*t by being dumped many times in the field, the bike would not go over 5k RPM without spitting and sputtering and backing down to 4k or so. Since then, have done a full carb job (minus drilling out the plug and resetting the idle screw or actually "measuring" the float, since it wasn't leaking gas, and ran fine up to 5k. Now the carb is crystal clean and a few parts replaced inside that were junk. Cleaned out the Orange Juice in the brake system, changed the oil to 2.5L of ROTELLA T!! (Thanks Ryan) but did not take the clutch cover off to clean the screen (next time I will with a new magnetic Dual Sport oil pan bolt). Flushed the cooling system and now am running just Water Wetter and distilled water down here in the Miami heat (91 degrees or better every day). Since I got it for so cheap I plan on doing the recommended mods on the Cam "doohickey", as well as the subframe and such other weak points as the rear brake bracket and fuse holder, etc. My question is that now that the bike has been given the full once over with new fluids everywhere and a cleaned and repaired carb, now the bike does the same thing at 4K RPM, backs off and misfires, etc. Standing to the right rear of the bike about 6 ft back at idle, I get pelted with little "airballs" on the right shoulder, left thigh, forehead, etc. Basically stray exhaust impulses. As such I haven't even been able to put 200-300 miles on it yet because I don't want to get stuck out there, or damage something that is ready to fail "catastrophically" if I were to attempt it. The bike is a strong runner, before up to 5k with no miss, and now to 4k with no miss, but it can't pass that barrier. I am relatively new to figuring this stuff out, so a couple stupid questions: 1.) Where should I look for the Advance on this bike? When found, what are the proper settings for it. 2.) Can the timing chain have slipped a tooth or two to cause this as well? Please describe or reference a website with the proper procedure to adjust these things. We have a timing light, etc, but I am somewhat concered about opening the left side of the bike since I don't know if we will have the tools to do the job. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Kirk A6

underground2012

advance?

Post by underground2012 » Fri May 27, 2005 2:08 pm

Oh, have not done the forks yet either. Where is the best online distributor of 10w fork oil? Also put Motul 5.1 in the brake system... Thanks again, Kirk A6

Chris Krok

vendor spam! big cee engineering

Post by Chris Krok » Fri May 27, 2005 2:13 pm

Hi, folks... Big Cee Engineering here again, reminding you to check out http://www.bigcee.com for KLR accessories: Shark fins, dashboards, subframe upgrades, and an assortment of other hardware. I've also got a couple of black-anodized dashboards on Ebay right now, which were test articles for anodizing. They've got some blemishes (described on Ebay), but are functionally sound, and still going for less than the price of a new, plain dashboard. The auctions are: Item #4551717210 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4551717210&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT Item #4552196753 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4552196753&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT Thanks for your time, have a great weekend, and a great time at Moab next weekend if you get to go! Krokko -- Dr. J. Christopher Krok Explosion Dynamics Laboratory John Lucas Adaptive Wind Tunnel Caltech MS 205-45, Pasadena, CA 91125

underground2012

advance?

Post by underground2012 » Fri May 27, 2005 2:15 pm

See, I can't even post everything at once! Dumbass. Another question I have is where do the "breather hoses" get routed out of the carb? One of the plastic fittings was broken, so I got a new one, and it is ready for a hose on it, but don't know where each one is supposed to go. I have two on the carb. Please specify right and left side, etc. Again thanks to all! Kirk A6

Zachariah Mully

advance?

Post by Zachariah Mully » Fri May 27, 2005 2:16 pm

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 19:04 +0000, underground2012 wrote:
> 1.) Where should I look for the Advance on this bike? When found, > what are the proper settings for it. > 2.) Can the timing chain have slipped a tooth or two to cause this > as well? Please describe or reference a website with the proper > procedure to adjust these things. We have a timing light, etc, but > I am somewhat concered about opening the left side of the bike since > I don't know if we will have the tools to do the job.
Yes, it is possible that the timing is off. The marks on the cams should parallel the head and point forward at TDC. You don't need any special tools. Pull the valve cover and pull the timing plug on the lhs case. Put the engine at TDC and see where the cams point. If they are off, pull the camchain tensioner out, adjust the chain on the cams, and button it back up. Z DC A5X A12X

Wolfy

advance?

Post by Wolfy » Fri May 27, 2005 2:18 pm

I don't think the timing chain slipped, but you may need to re-shim. The Clearance on the valves may be off. Sadly I do not know of any good sites for doing the valves but I'm sure someone here does. Plus you need the chart in the manual that gives the size shim you would need (unless someone has it scanned online). I had the timing chain skip a tooth on my KLR600 and it didn't run well at all. I had to make a manual tension adjuster (my auto one died) -----Original Message----- From: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of underground2012 Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 3:04 PM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Advance? Hi guys, been subscribed for a while and have enjoyed all the entertaining conversations. Very enlightening, and has solidified my enthusiasm for my 92 KLR A6.