what to take to rally.

DSN_KLR650
Michael T

dunlop d606s and realistic mileage expectations

Post by Michael T » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:28 am

Well, it decision time on how I will manage my tire usage next month in Baja. I have a 400 mile asphault trip to Calexico, a 75/25 (dirt /street mix) in baja for 1,500 miles and a return trip to Vegas for another 400 miles. Plan one - mount the D606s in Vegas, air em up to about 36lbs on the street and about 24+psi in the rocky dirt of Baja . Oh, and keep my asphault speeds down to 65mph. Plan two - bring the D606s w/ me to Calexico and mount them there so I can use my existing tires and travel at a more reasonable 85-90mph heading down from Vegas. Leave the current tires in Calexico, ride Baja, and remount the current tires when I get back acrosss the border for the return trip to Vegas Plan one is easier, for sure, but if these D606s wear to quickly on the highway it will leave me lacking traction in baja. Michael T A16 lasvegasrider [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:50 am

Mike, I understand your concerns, I hate putting on a fresh set of knobs then loading up the bike and riding the freeways with them, not good. Face it though you are on a DS bike and forget about it, I doubt 400 miles will make a significant difference in the tires performance in Baja. You could load the bike on a trailer but again DS bike right? Now after getting home I'll be willing to bet the tires are toast but then who cares. I'd want to avoid any major change out on a trip like that unless you have to road it over 1000 miles to get there. I say slap on the 606s and ride like the wildman you are. I remember guys riding from WA on 606s to EST2 and their tread looked pretty good when they arrived. --Jim A-15
> Well, it decision time on how I will manage my tire usage next month in > Baja. I have a 400 mile asphault trip to Calexico, a 75/25 (dirt /street > mix) in baja for 1,500 miles and a return trip to Vegas for another 400 > miles. > > Plan one - mount the D606s in Vegas, air em up to about 36lbs on the
street
> and about 24+psi in the rocky dirt of Baja . Oh, and keep my
asphault speeds
> down to 65mph. > > > Plan two - bring the D606s w/ me to Calexico and mount them there so
I can
> use my existing tires and travel at a more reasonable 85-90mph
heading down
> from Vegas. Leave the current tires in Calexico, ride Baja, and
remount the
> current tires when I get back acrosss the border for the return trip to > Vegas > > > Plan one is easier, for sure, but if these D606s wear to quickly on the > highway it will leave me lacking traction in baja. > > > > > > Michael T > A16 > lasvegasrider > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Krgrife@aol.com

Post by Krgrife@aol.com » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:15 am

In a message dated 2/17/2005 8:59:35 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, mah78@... writes: Well, it decision time on how I will manage my tire usage next month in
> Baja. I have a 400 mile asphault trip to Calexico, a 75/25 (dirt /street > mix) in baja for 1,500 miles and a return trip to Vegas for another 400 > miles.
Mike, I'm in pretty much the same situation, I live 300 miles north of the border and ride to Baja 3-4 times a year. I used to use Kendas and now use the Kings KT966 which are probably comparable to the 606 in wear life. My Baja destination is usually the Mulege to Loreto area and the trips usually total around 3000 miles of total riding. I find that when I'm ready to head back north I have about half my tread left and the tires still have enough tread for street riding when I get home. The 606 has a pretty good rep for wearing well so I don't think you would have any problem. BTW, it is good to know that Ricardo at the Rice and Beans Hotel/Restaurant in San Ignacio has a stash of take off tires and tubes for emergency use that came off Baja 1000 racers. Kurt [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Keith Saltzer

Post by Keith Saltzer » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:26 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Michael T" wrote:
> Well, it decision time on how I will manage my tire usage next
month in
> Baja. I have a 400 mile asphault trip to Calexico, a 75/25
(dirt /street
> mix) in baja for 1,500 miles and a return trip to Vegas for another
> miles.
Mike, stop trippin man. It's only 400 miles. I've had a couple of sets of 606's, (4 rears) and they do very well. When I had to do some highway on them, I aired them all the way up to 36. The'll do best at that psi on the highway. Keep your speed down too. 65-70 indicated will be fine as long as you don't have a strong head wind. Jake went from Milford Utah, to Pittsburg Pa, to Chicago, and back to Utah, (5000 miles) and then got another 5000 out of his 606's! But he only rides at 55-60 mph, never does wheelies, and leaves red lights and stop signs with the throttle just barely cracked open. When I'm around my neck-o-the-woods, and still on the street, I air down to mid to high twenty's. Then off road I go as low as 12 front 14 rear. Those things have some tough sidewalls. MrMoose A8 (Barbie and Ken special)

Michael T

Post by Michael T » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:05 pm

Thanks Keith. I have received several affirmations similar to yours regarding the air pressure, max speed, and gentle asphalt usage to extend the life of the 606, including not being agressive in the corners, gentle accelerating, soft braking, and moderation in head winds. It all makes sense. Geez, 65-70mph - Might as well just mount my 14t sprocket rather than using the 16t for the ride down, get my Ipod loaded up and put a pillow on my tangbag so I can catch some Zzzzz's on the way down to Calexico. :-) Michael T A16 lasvegasrider -----Original Message----- From: Keith Saltzer [mailto:k.saltzer@...] Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 9:25 AM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Dunlop D606s and realistic mileage expectations --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Michael T" wrote:
> Well, it decision time on how I will manage my tire usage next
month in
> Baja. I have a 400 mile asphault trip to Calexico, a 75/25
(dirt /street
> mix) in baja for 1,500 miles and a return trip to Vegas for another
> miles.
Mike, stop trippin man. It's only 400 miles. I've had a couple of sets of 606's, (4 rears) and they do very well. When I had to do some highway on them, I aired them all the way up to 36. The'll do best at that psi on the highway. Keep your speed down too. 65-70 indicated will be fine as long as you don't have a strong head wind. Jake went from Milford Utah, to Pittsburg Pa, to Chicago, and back to Utah, (5000 miles) and then got another 5000 out of his 606's! But he only rides at 55-60 mph, never does wheelies, and leaves red lights and stop signs with the throttle just barely cracked open. When I'm around my neck-o-the-woods, and still on the street, I air down to mid to high twenty's. Then off road I go as low as 12 front 14 rear. Those things have some tough sidewalls. MrMoose A8 (Barbie and Ken special) Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Yahoo! Groups Links

Keith Saltzer

Post by Keith Saltzer » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:51 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Michael T" wrote:
> Thanks Keith. I have received several affirmations similar to yours > regarding the air pressure, max speed, and gentle asphalt usage to
extend
> the life of the 606, including not being agressive in the corners,
gentle
> accelerating, soft braking, and moderation in head winds. It all
makes
> sense.
Well, as far as corners go, I like to always hit those with as much speed as I want to, or can. I like to keep the tire profile as close to new as I can. You KNOW that the center is going to go away no matter what you do on the road. So when I hit the turns, and I'm leaned over, I don't care about scrubbing down the sides a bit to match the center tread depth more. Besides, it's a blast to slide the back around on sharp turn take offs, or U-turns when the 606's are new. The sides are very slick then. And later on you can still slide it fairly easily with lots of throttle. Looks cool and feels cool if you can turn right or left onto a street while having the back end pitched out a ways. Get's lots of looks too. MrMoose A8 (Barbie and Ken special)

Peter Meilstrup

Post by Peter Meilstrup » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:33 pm

Kurt, how do the Kings 966 compare to the Kenda 270?
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:14:59 EST, Krgrife@... wrote: > > > In a message dated 2/17/2005 8:59:35 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, > mah78@... writes: > > Well, it decision time on how I will manage my tire usage next month in > > Baja. I have a 400 mile asphault trip to Calexico, a 75/25 (dirt /street > > mix) in baja for 1,500 miles and a return trip to Vegas for another 400 > > miles. > > Mike, > I'm in pretty much the same situation, I live 300 miles north of the border > and ride to Baja 3-4 times a year. I used to use Kendas and now use the > Kings KT966 which are probably comparable to the 606 in wear life. My Baja > destination is usually the Mulege to Loreto area and the trips usually total > around 3000 miles of total riding. I find that when I'm ready to head back north > I have about half my tread left and the tires still have enough tread for > street riding when I get home. The 606 has a pretty good rep for wearing well > so I don't think you would have any problem. BTW, it is good to know that > Ricardo at the Rice and Beans Hotel/Restaurant in San Ignacio has a stash of > take off tires and tubes for emergency use that came off Baja 1000 racers. > Kurt > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > >

Michael T

Post by Michael T » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:49 pm

Go points Keith. I'll play with them once I get them scruffed up in the gravel west of my house. Michael T A16 lasvegasrider -----Original Message----- From: Keith Saltzer [mailto:k.saltzer@...] Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:52 AM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Dunlop D606s and realistic mileage expectations --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Michael T" wrote:
> Thanks Keith. I have received several affirmations similar to yours > regarding the air pressure, max speed, and gentle asphalt usage to
extend
> the life of the 606, including not being agressive in the corners,
gentle
> accelerating, soft braking, and moderation in head winds. It all
makes
> sense.
Well, as far as corners go, I like to always hit those with as much speed as I want to, or can. I like to keep the tire profile as close to new as I can. You KNOW that the center is going to go away no matter what you do on the road. So when I hit the turns, and I'm leaned over, I don't care about scrubbing down the sides a bit to match the center tread depth more. Besides, it's a blast to slide the back around on sharp turn take offs, or U-turns when the 606's are new. The sides are very slick then. And later on you can still slide it fairly easily with lots of throttle. Looks cool and feels cool if you can turn right or left onto a street while having the back end pitched out a ways. Get's lots of looks too. MrMoose A8 (Barbie and Ken special) Archive Quicksearch at: http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/klr650_data_search.html List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Yahoo! Groups Links

Krgrife@aol.com

Post by Krgrife@aol.com » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:47 pm

In a message dated 2/17/2005 11:40:52 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, peter.meilstrup@... writes: Kurt, how do the Kings 966 compare to the Kenda 270? They handle better on pavement and I like the front better in anything loose. My last two rear K270's had problems with the center knobs chunking away. The Kings have performed well and I think they are very good for the money. I'm on my third set. I was forced once,because of my own stupidity, to ride 25 miles on a flat rear but it held up and after it was repaired I rode it the 1000 miles back home. I am not an especially aggressive rider but put on lots of off pavement miles. Kurt [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Pat (M)

Post by Pat (M) » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:31 pm

Top-posted with gusto! Hey Mike, I agree with Jim, go with Plan 1; mount 'em and just use 'em. You're going there to have fun and not to practice ISDT tire changes. I use similar air settings - works good, and (ahem) rims still round. FWIW, I am just changed out the front and almost ready for the rear MT-21 that was new at ESR, and I used it all winter. I'm finishing 'em with about 1100 miles of demanding inside the park riding the week I spent in Death Valley this January. I guess I got almost 3800 miles from the rear (consistent with 1st one) and almost 7000 out of the front. Other KLR's I ride with use 606's and get about 500-1000 more miles out of the rear than I do but weight, type/style of riding all are variable factors. About 40-50% of my riding was off road. Both MT-21's & 606's are pretty confidence-inspiring when leaned over on DRY pavement, but DO respect the wet!!! Good luck, enjoy and be sure to share yer pics & stories.. Pat M, WA
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" wrote: > > Mike, > I understand your concerns, I hate putting on a fresh set of knobs > then loading up the bike and riding the freeways with them, not good. > Face it though you are on a DS bike and forget about it, I doubt 400 > miles will make a significant difference in the tires performance in > Baja. You could load the bike on a trailer but again DS bike right? > Now after getting home I'll be willing to bet the tires are toast but > then who cares. I'd want to avoid any major change out on a trip like > that unless you have to road it over 1000 miles to get there. I say > slap on the 606s and ride like the wildman you are. I remember guys > riding from WA on 606s to EST2 and their tread looked pretty good when > they arrived. > --Jim > A-15 > > > > Well, it decision time on how I will manage my tire usage next month in > > Baja. I have a 400 mile asphault trip to Calexico, a 75/25 (dirt /street > > mix) in baja for 1,500 miles and a return trip to Vegas for another 400 > > miles. > > > > Plan one - mount the D606s in Vegas, air em up to about 36lbs on the > street > > and about 24+psi in the rocky dirt of Baja . Oh, and keep my > asphault speeds > > down to 65mph. > > > > > > Plan two - bring the D606s w/ me to Calexico and mount them there so > I can > > use my existing tires and travel at a more reasonable 85-90mph > heading down > > from Vegas. Leave the current tires in Calexico, ride Baja, and > remount the > > current tires when I get back acrosss the border for the return trip to > > Vegas > > > > > > Plan one is easier, for sure, but if these D606s wear to quickly on the > > highway it will leave me lacking traction in baja. > > > > > > > > > > > > Michael T > > A16 > > lasvegasrider > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]