nklr mexican railway doable

DSN_KLR650
jamackinlay

meter assembly bulbs

Post by jamackinlay » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:44 am

Hi, I checked the KLR FAQ and couldn't find what type of bulbs are the ones for "Turn" and "Neutral" in the meter assy. The KLR FAQ says that the bullbs in the meter assy are the 158 (or 194), but those are the ones for "Hi Beam" and meter gauges lights. Intotal, the meter assembly has four 158 bulbs (part #92069-1007) plus 2 other --smaller- ones for "Turn" and "Neutral" (part#92069- 1068). Anubody knows what bulb model are these last two ones? Thanks, Jose

Lujo Bauer

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Lujo Bauer » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:36 am

I thought they were all the same. The bulbs in mine all look identical, and swapping LEDs and random instrument-cluster bulbs back and forth didn't reveal otherwise. I think 168 and 194 are compatible but more common designations. -Lujo jamackinlay wrote:
> > Hi, > I checked the KLR FAQ and couldn't find what type of bulbs are the > ones for "Turn" and "Neutral" in the meter assy. > > The KLR FAQ says that the bullbs in the meter assy are the 158 (or > 194), but those are the ones for "Hi Beam" and meter gauges lights. > > Intotal, the meter assembly has four 158 bulbs (part #92069-1007) > plus 2 other --smaller- ones for "Turn" and "Neutral" (part#92069- > 1068). > Anubody knows what bulb model are these last two ones? > > Thanks, > Jose
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Keith Saltzer

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Keith Saltzer » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:54 am

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Lujo Bauer wrote:
> I thought they were all the same. The bulbs in mine all look
identical,
> and swapping LEDs and random instrument-cluster bulbs back and
forth
> didn't reveal otherwise. I think 168 and 194 are compatible but
more
> common designations. > > -Lujo
Ohhhhhhhh yea. That's the other thing I have been meaning to do. Change out the bulbs to LED's.............where do I get them? MrMoose A8 (Barbie and Ken special)

Lujo Bauer

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Lujo Bauer » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:14 pm

> Ohhhhhhhh yea. That's the other thing I have been meaning to do. > Change out the bulbs to LED's.............where do I get them?
You could try eBay. If you're happy with the results, let me know what bulbs you used. All the LEDs I tried were too dim. LEDs have improved noticeably in that regard over the past year or two, though, so I wouldn't be suprised if you found something that worked well. -Lujo [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Guy B. Young II

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Guy B. Young II » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:17 pm

Keith, I hope you find better LEDs than I did. The three (3) that illuminate the gauges don't work worth a poop! I pulled them out and stuck the incadescents back in. Fortunately, they were freebies from a vendor so no big loss. The others work great, and are colored to match the function. Guy -----Original Message----- From: Keith Saltzer Sent: Jan 3, 2005 12:53 PM To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Meter Assembly bulbs
--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Lujo Bauer wrote: > I thought they were all the same. The bulbs in mine all look identical, > and swapping LEDs and random instrument-cluster bulbs back and forth > didn't reveal otherwise. I think 168 and 194 are compatible but more > common designations. > > -Lujo Ohhhhhhhh yea. That's the other thing I have been meaning to do. Change out the bulbs to LED's.............where do I get them? MrMoose A8 (Barbie and Ken special) List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Yahoo! Groups Links

Lujo Bauer

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Lujo Bauer » Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:21 pm

This reminds me: if I were to look for LEDs now, I'd ignore all the single-LED super-ultra-incredibly-brightest ones and go straight for the 194s that have a bunch of LEDs on them. -Lujo Guy B. Young II wrote:
> Keith, > > I hope you find better LEDs than I did. The three (3) that illuminate the gauges don't work worth a poop! I pulled them out and stuck the incadescents back in. > > Fortunately, they were freebies from a vendor so no big loss. The others work great, and are colored to match the function. > > Guy > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Keith Saltzer > Sent: Jan 3, 2005 12:53 PM > To: DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Meter Assembly bulbs > > > > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Lujo Bauer wrote: > >>I thought they were all the same. The bulbs in mine all look > > identical, > >>and swapping LEDs and random instrument-cluster bulbs back and > > forth > >>didn't reveal otherwise. I think 168 and 194 are compatible but > > more > >>common designations. >> >>-Lujo > > > Ohhhhhhhh yea. That's the other thing I have been meaning to do. > Change out the bulbs to LED's.............where do I get them? > > MrMoose > A8 (Barbie and Ken special)
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Lujo Bauer

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Lujo Bauer » Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:13 pm

Inspired by a reply from Guy (did you mean to cc the list as well?), I decided it might be useful if I were more specific about my experience with using LEDs for instrument-panel lighting. I used single-LED replacement units for the turn signal, high beam, and neutral lights. These looked nice in the shade, but in direct sunlight or shifting light they were harder to see than the original bulbs. During a sunny day, for example, I had a hard time seeing whether my high beam indicator was on. I used multiple-LED replacement bulbs for lighting the tach and speedo. I believe the ones I used had either two or four LEDs each. Lighting was much worse than stock. Only parts of the instruments were illuminated, and I couldn't see the speedo needle well in the darkness unless it was somewhere on the left (say, below 35 mph). I experimented with both (so called) diffuse LED bulbs and ordinary ones. I couldn't see any difference in how they performed when installed in the instrument panel. Don't get me wrong -- it's not that one *can't* light an instrument panel with LEDs (in fact, I still have most of them in there); it's just that they provide noticeably poorer illumination that incandescent bulbs. And of course, this only applies to the LEDs I found two years ago. If someone succeeds in finding LED bulbs that work well in the KLR's instrument panel, I'd love to know about it. Cheers, -Lujo [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

dumbazz_650

meter assembly bulbs

Post by dumbazz_650 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:03 pm

--- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Saltzer" wrote:
> > --- In DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com, Lujo Bauer wrote: > > I thought they were all the same. The bulbs in mine all look > identical, > > and swapping LEDs and random instrument-cluster bulbs back and > forth > > didn't reveal otherwise. I think 168 and 194 are compatible but > more > > common designations. > > > > -Lujo > > Ohhhhhhhh yea. That's the other thing I have been meaning to do. > Change out the bulbs to LED's.............where do I get them? > > MrMoose > A8 (Barbie and Ken special)
Tammy has them listed on her site. Note that the turn indicator is special in that it passes current both directions, so I suspect there is no subst yet for the incandescant version. MarkB

Guy B. Young II

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Guy B. Young II » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:14 pm

Hey!, It's my b'day. I know not what I do. :-) Your review tells exactly what I experienced. FWIW - I also installed a set in my Concours, with the same results. All the ones that provide backlighting for the instruments have come out and incadescents put back in. Guy -----Original Message----- From: Lujo Bauer Sent: Jan 3, 2005 2:13 PM To: KLR 650 LIST dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Meter Assembly bulbs Inspired by a reply from Guy (did you mean to cc the list as well?), I decided it might be useful if I were more specific about my experience with using LEDs for instrument-panel lighting. I used single-LED replacement units for the turn signal, high beam, and neutral lights. These looked nice in the shade, but in direct sunlight or shifting light they were harder to see than the original bulbs. During a sunny day, for example, I had a hard time seeing whether my high beam indicator was on. I used multiple-LED replacement bulbs for lighting the tach and speedo. I believe the ones I used had either two or four LEDs each. Lighting was much worse than stock. Only parts of the instruments were illuminated, and I couldn't see the speedo needle well in the darkness unless it was somewhere on the left (say, below 35 mph). I experimented with both (so called) diffuse LED bulbs and ordinary ones. I couldn't see any difference in how they performed when installed in the instrument panel. Don't get me wrong -- it's not that one *can't* light an instrument panel with LEDs (in fact, I still have most of them in there); it's just that they provide noticeably poorer illumination that incandescent bulbs. And of course, this only applies to the LEDs I found two years ago. If someone succeeds in finding LED bulbs that work well in the KLR's instrument panel, I'd love to know about it. Cheers, -Lujo [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Yahoo! Groups Links

Michael T

meter assembly bulbs

Post by Michael T » Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:05 pm

Hey guys. I too tried LED bulbs last year in the instrument cluster. In a word - disappointing. I put the stock bulbs back in (Oh what use guys will do to free up a bit of wattage). :-) I to look forward to a supplier who sells LEDs that are at least equal to stock incandecent illumination performance. Michael T A16 lasvegasrider -----Original Message----- From: Lujo Bauer [mailto:lbauer@...] Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 11:14 AM To: KLR 650 LIST Subject: Re: [DSN_KLR650] Re: Meter Assembly bulbs Inspired by a reply from Guy (did you mean to cc the list as well?), I decided it might be useful if I were more specific about my experience with using LEDs for instrument-panel lighting. I used single-LED replacement units for the turn signal, high beam, and neutral lights. These looked nice in the shade, but in direct sunlight or shifting light they were harder to see than the original bulbs. During a sunny day, for example, I had a hard time seeing whether my high beam indicator was on. I used multiple-LED replacement bulbs for lighting the tach and speedo. I believe the ones I used had either two or four LEDs each. Lighting was much worse than stock. Only parts of the instruments were illuminated, and I couldn't see the speedo needle well in the darkness unless it was somewhere on the left (say, below 35 mph). I experimented with both (so called) diffuse LED bulbs and ordinary ones. I couldn't see any difference in how they performed when installed in the instrument panel. Don't get me wrong -- it's not that one *can't* light an instrument panel with LEDs (in fact, I still have most of them in there); it's just that they provide noticeably poorer illumination that incandescent bulbs. And of course, this only applies to the LEDs I found two years ago. If someone succeeds in finding LED bulbs that work well in the KLR's instrument panel, I'd love to know about it. Cheers, -Lujo [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] List sponsored by Dual Sport News at: www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Yahoo! Groups Links