heated gloves

DSN_KLR650
ron criswell

water pump seal

Post by ron criswell » Sun May 07, 2000 10:58 am

I appear to have a leaky water pump seal. I'm a little paranoid about doing the job meself but I have successfully adjusted the valves meself. Any thoughts? Guidance on doing it out there? Procedure? Ron Criswell

camonett

water pump seal

Post by camonett » Fri Sep 01, 2000 5:18 pm

My brand new KLR650 leaked engine oil from the get-go out the water pump drain hole. I took it back to be fixed under warranty a week and a half ago. The dealer says the repair part is "on backorder" and doesn't know when it will be in. I am about to go get the bike tomorrow, find the part, and do the repair myself. I guess my question to my fellow riders is is this normal for dealer repairs? They don't seem very cooperative. What has been your experience with Kawasaki warranty service? Thanks, Carl

Dan Bittner

water pump seal

Post by Dan Bittner » Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:28 pm

New A16 with 2687 miles. Antifreeze [ actually doesn't look, feel or smell like antifreeze, blue stuff, looks more like windshield washer fluid, dealer fill ] leaking out of pump weep hole. Not very confidence inspiring at that mileage. For those of you who have replaced the seal, does the whole side cover have to come off as the manual states or can it be removed / installed after removing just the impeller ? Thanks, Dan Bittner Sacramento, Ca. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

scottobme@aol.com

water pump seal

Post by scottobme@aol.com » Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:41 pm

In a message dated 6/11/02 7:30:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ltrcman@... writes:
> New A16 with 2687 miles. Antifreeze [ actually doesn't look, feel or smell > like antifreeze, blue stuff, looks more like windshield washer fluid, > dealer fill ] leaking out of pump weep hole. Not very confidence inspiring > at that mileage. For those of you who have replaced the seal, does the > whole side cover have to come off as the manual states or can it be removed > / installed after removing just the impeller ? > > Thanks, > Dan Bittner > Sacramento, Ca. >
Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty. My A15 started leaking at 550 miles. Scott Redondo Beach, CA A15 http://www.socal-dualsport.com [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

zootpatutie

water pump seal

Post by zootpatutie » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:21 am

FYI water pump weep can be repaired through the pump housing. Caution to the smallish flange on the back of the impeller (cracks, chips), replacing the mechanical seal requires removing the spring cup (wedge/mutilate). Might as well replace the oil seal while your there as routine maintenance (well perhaps on higher mileage bikes). Pay attention to torque and impeller removal directions in the manual. Todd A9

f7066_2

water pump seal

Post by f7066_2 » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:31 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Dan Bittner" wrote:
> New A16 with 2687 miles. Antifreeze [ actually doesn't look, feel
or smell like antifreeze, blue stuff, looks more like windshield washer fluid, dealer fill ] leaking out of pump weep hole. Not very confidence inspiring at that mileage. For those of you who have replaced the seal, does the whole side cover have to come off as the manual states or can it be removed / installed after removing just the impeller ?
> > Thanks, > Dan Bittner > Sacramento, Ca. > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Dan: My A15 leaked on the way home from the shop when I picked it up! For what its worth, I found the overflow hose to be kinked at the top of the reservoir (I think) where the hose turns a corner to go to the back of the bike. Even after unkinking, it still leaked (I guess the damage had been done) and I had the seal replaced under warranty by our local shop, and has been bone dry since. Dave/Kamloops BC

klrz4ever

water pump seal

Post by klrz4ever » Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:07 pm

The original owner of my A11 went through two or three seals when the bike was young before someone got the idea to completely flush the cooling system. There was some factory crud in there that kept fouling the new seals. Haven't had a problem since I've owned the bike, now close to 19k miles. __Arden Kysely

mnron2002

water pump seal

Post by mnron2002 » Wed Jun 12, 2002 9:42 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "klrz4ever" wrote:
> The original owner of my A11 went through two or three seals when
the
> bike was young before someone got the idea to completely flush the > cooling system. There was some factory crud in there that kept > fouling the new seals. Haven't had a problem since I've owned the > bike, now close to 19k miles. > > __Arden Kysely
Arden, Funny you should mention that. I had a seal fail on my '93. I have about 1800 miles on my '02 and I plan to flush the coolant before my next trip. (a week from tomorrow, woo hoo!!) I think that an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure... or however that goes... MNRon

Allan Patton

water pump seal

Post by Allan Patton » Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:35 pm

I thought I had seen a procedure for replacing the water pump seal. Maybe not. I have searched my bookmarks and can't find a procedure for it. Is there one? Did find a diagram of the pump. Also, the seal at Dual Star. http://www.dragan-milinkovic.com/klr650/diagrams/water_pump.html http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Brand/Kawasaki/klr%20650%20water%20pump%20seal.htm Questions for anyone who has replaced the seal before. How did you know it was time to replace it? Did it start to drip, or did it let go all at once? How do you remove the old seal? What is the proper way to install the new seal? All these questions are unnecessary if someone can direct me to a procedure. I'm not a mechanic, but I did replace the doohickey and adjust the valves using the procedures here. Thanks, Allan A14 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Devon Jarvis

water pump seal

Post by Devon Jarvis » Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:40 pm

My water pump has been dripping for a little while now, slowly increasing. I've been gradually adding coolant to keep up with it, but it's almost time to just replace the seal. Anyone who has replaced the water pump seals, I would also like to hear your advice. I will take photos when I change mine. Devon A15 Allan Patton wrote:
> > I thought I had seen a procedure for replacing the water pump seal. Maybe not. I have searched my bookmarks and can't find a procedure for it. Is there one? > > Did find a diagram of the pump. Also, the seal at Dual Star. > > http://www.dragan-milinkovic.com/klr650/diagrams/water_pump.html > > http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Brand/Kawasaki/klr%20650%20water%20pump%20seal.htm > > Questions for anyone who has replaced the seal before. How did you know it was time to replace it? Did it start to drip, or did it let go all at once? How do you remove the old seal? What is the proper way to install the new seal? > > All these questions are unnecessary if someone can direct me to a procedure. I'm not a mechanic, but I did replace the doohickey and adjust the valves using the procedures here. > > Thanks, > > Allan A14 >