nklr fyi don't rely solely on you gps.

DSN_KLR650
Craig Morris

experimental archive search

Post by Craig Morris » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:43 pm

I have set up an experimental search engine with indexed archives of this list. It is based on some software I wrote to allow me to index my own Linux and Windows machines, but as it is browser based it can be coerced into a publicly searchable form. It is alpha software running on a slow server, so reliability may be suspect. To use it, you will need Internet Explorer 6 or better yet a Mozilla or Opera 7 browser (Netscape 7 will probably work as well). You may have to disable any pop up blocker for the site to allow the search dialogs to appear. The site is at: http://dsnklr.redtree.com When the site appears, click on the search button (menu bar at top of window) and fill in the search dialog. There is some help available from the Help menu. This software has seen little testing, so in some respects I am recruiting suckers, er volunteers, to try it out. :-) Some things to note: By default only lines with the target words are shown in the contents pane. The View/Outline menu toggle can be used to get the full message (keyboard short cut ';' [semicolon]) To cut down the size of the results, the default is the first 50 matches, but that can be changed to anything in the search dialog. You can also click on the little arrows at the top of the results columns to change sort order or use the date fields (format 2004-1- 31) to limit the searches. See the help for more details. Many thanks to Doug Herr, Dirk Beer and Gavin Macfarlane for making the historical (1998 to present) messages available. -- Craig Morris - craig@... Fernie, BC, Canada

Michael Koch

Post by Michael Koch » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:11 pm

I tried it and think it is a tremendous improvement on the Yahoo provided archive search. I'd like to see the same thing in a few other groups I'm in. Excellent work! Sell it to Yahoo.
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Craig Morris wrote: > I have set up an experimental search engine with indexed archives of > this list. It is based on some software I wrote to allow me to index my > own Linux and Windows machines, but as it is browser based it can be > coerced into a publicly searchable form. It is alpha software running > on a slow server, so reliability may be suspect. To use it, you will > need Internet Explorer 6 or better yet a Mozilla or Opera 7 browser > (Netscape 7 will probably work as well). You may have to disable any > pop up blocker for the site to allow the search dialogs to appear. > > The site is at: > > http://dsnklr.redtree.com > > When the site appears, click on the search button (menu bar at top of > window) and fill in the search dialog. There is some help available from > the Help menu. > > This software has seen little testing, so in some respects I am > recruiting suckers, er volunteers, to try it out. :-) > > Some things to note: > > By default only lines with the target words are shown in the contents > pane. The View/Outline menu toggle can be used to get the full message > (keyboard short cut ';' [semicolon]) > > To cut down the size of the results, the default is the first 50 > matches, but that can be changed to anything in the search dialog. You > can also click on the little arrows at the top of the results columns to > change sort order or use the date fields (format 2004-1- 31) to limit > the searches. See the help for more details. > > Many thanks to Doug Herr, Dirk Beer and Gavin Macfarlane for making the > historical (1998 to present) messages available. > > -- > Craig Morris - craig@r... > Fernie, BC, Canada

Craig Morris

Post by Craig Morris » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:01 pm

Michael Koch wrote:
>I tried it and think it is a tremendous improvement on the Yahoo >provided archive search. I'd like to see the same thing in a few >other groups I'm in. Excellent work! Sell it to Yahoo. > >
Thanks Michael, but I suspect there will be some buffing yet to do before it works reliably. One mysterious error has already cropped up. :-( As to Yahoo, I imagine they are quite capable of providing an excellent search capability. Why they choose not to escapes me. -- Craig Morris - craig@... Fernie, BC, Canada

Michael T

Post by Michael T » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:41 pm

Excellent product! - Oh, for the folks that get 501 erros and such, Java may be the issue. Simple solution - go ahead and download Mozilla Firefox 1.0, reboot, and go. It corrects some of the Java engine anomalies that exist between various versions and IE 6-sp2 will run just fine (Jave enabled, of course) Or, use the excellent Mozilla browser - No, it doesn't mess up IE Explorer operations, at least with any of the systems I work with. Thanks to Craig, and the rest of team, for bringing a much needed tool to this motley group of adventures! Michael T A16 lasvegasrider -----Original Message----- From: Craig Morris [mailto:craig@...] Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 10:43 AM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Experimental Archive search I have set up an experimental search engine with indexed archives of this list. It is based on some software I wrote to allow me to index my own Linux and Windows machines, but as it is browser based it can be coerced into a publicly searchable form. It is alpha software running on a slow server, so reliability may be suspect. To use it, you will need Internet Explorer 6 or better yet a Mozilla or Opera 7 browser (Netscape 7 will probably work as well). You may have to disable any pop up blocker for the site to allow the search dialogs to appear. The site is at: http://dsnklr.redtree.com When the site appears, click on the search button (menu bar at top of window) and fill in the search dialog. There is some help available from the Help menu. This software has seen little testing, so in some respects I am recruiting suckers, er volunteers, to try it out. :-) Some things to note: By default only lines with the target words are shown in the contents pane. The View/Outline menu toggle can be used to get the full message (keyboard short cut ';' [semicolon]) To cut down the size of the results, the default is the first 50 matches, but that can be changed to anything in the search dialog. You can also click on the little arrows at the top of the results columns to change sort order or use the date fields (format 2004-1- 31) to limit the searches. See the help for more details. Many thanks to Doug Herr, Dirk Beer and Gavin Macfarlane for making the historical (1998 to present) messages available. -- Craig Morris - craig@... Fernie, BC, Canada

Craig Morris

Post by Craig Morris » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:06 pm

Thanks Michael. There is some problem occurring though that I have not seen before and I suspect it has to do with multiple users etc. The server is multi threaded and of course does lots of file operations, so something somewhere is probably not being cleared, locked or whatever correctly. The error manifests itself with a message saying object Index does not have an attribute _index and at that point it seems I have to restart the server. I will of course be trying to isolate this, but please be patient if you encounter this or other errors folks. BTW the suggestion to switch to a Mozilla browser (I am partial to Firefox myself) is an excellent one quite apart from this. However this application does not use Java at all, just Javascript, which despite the name has nothing to do with Java. Still I had to jump through hoops to get IE6 to work with this because it blatantly does not follow standards. Craig Michael T wrote:
>Excellent product! - Oh, for the folks that get 501 erros and such, Java may >be the issue. Simple solution - go ahead and download Mozilla Firefox 1.0, >reboot, and go. It corrects some of the Java engine anomalies that exist >between various versions and IE 6-sp2 will run just fine (Jave enabled, of >course) Or, use the excellent Mozilla browser - No, it doesn't mess up IE >Explorer operations, at least with any of the systems I work with. > >Thanks to Craig, and the rest of team, for bringing a much needed tool to >this motley group of adventures! > >Michael T >A16 >lasvegasrider > >-----Original Message----- >From: Craig Morris [mailto:craig@...] >Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 10:43 AM >To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_klr650] Experimental Archive search > > >I have set up an experimental search engine with indexed archives of >this list. It is based on some software I wrote to allow me to index my >own Linux and Windows machines, but as it is browser based it can be >coerced into a publicly searchable form. It is alpha software running >on a slow server, so reliability may be suspect. To use it, you will >need Internet Explorer 6 or better yet a Mozilla or Opera 7 browser >(Netscape 7 will probably work as well). You may have to disable any >pop up blocker for the site to allow the search dialogs to appear. > >The site is at: > >http://dsnklr.redtree.com > >When the site appears, click on the search button (menu bar at top of >window) and fill in the search dialog. There is some help available from >the Help menu. > >This software has seen little testing, so in some respects I am >recruiting suckers, er volunteers, to try it out. :-) > >Some things to note: > >By default only lines with the target words are shown in the contents >pane. The View/Outline menu toggle can be used to get the full message >(keyboard short cut ';' [semicolon]) > >To cut down the size of the results, the default is the first 50 >matches, but that can be changed to anything in the search dialog. You >can also click on the little arrows at the top of the results columns to >change sort order or use the date fields (format 2004-1- 31) to limit >the searches. See the help for more details. > >Many thanks to Doug Herr, Dirk Beer and Gavin Macfarlane for making the >historical (1998 to present) messages available. > > >
-- Craig Morris - craig@... Fernie, BC, Canada

CA Stu

nklr fyi don't rely solely on you gps.

Post by CA Stu » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:11 pm

My Emap has the ability to load a detailed map into the unit's memory, and the tracks or "breadcrumbs" are stored locally, so the tracks I have already traveled would be unaffected. If I neede to turn around and retrace my steps, I would have to manually move the cursor, but apart from no longer having a realtime scrolling map on my screen, the backtracking function would be unaffected. Be just like using a paper map with a highlighted route on it. Thanks CA Stu
> -----Original Message----- > From: Pat (M) [mailto:flintriver13@y...] > Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 10:56 AM > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: NKLR FYI Don't rely solely on you GPS. > > > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" wrote: > > > > Imagine the back half of a long day in the wilds, in the dark and > > socked in by the clouds picking your route slowly down back toward > > civilization using your GPS to backtrack the maze of trail junctions > > when all of the sudden...... > > > > >
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id=2004121521290001739682&dt=
> 20041215212900&w=APO&coview=> > > > > --Jim > > A-15 > > = = = = reply = = = = > > Timely post. If you rely only on GPS with no DR or map backup, it > could make for an interesting ride out. > > http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6720387/ > > Pat M > A14