wind riding nklr - non pc success

DSN_KLR650
Barnaby Robson

nklr ridin' in mad gusty winds

Post by Barnaby Robson » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:29 pm

So .. I rode home tonight over the Bay Bridge and by Jeebus it was windy ... gusting at 40 mph .. It scared me pretty thoroughly as my wheel was taken from under me several times and for a while I couldn't change lanes because I was so leaned over just trying to stay straight !! Cripes .. the whole time I just tried to speed up and get it over with and get the hell away from the trucks ... Is that the safest thing to do or should you go slow in that instance ? Thanks for any tips barnaby. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Eric L. Green

Post by Eric L. Green » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:00 am

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Barnaby Robson wrote:
> So .. I rode home tonight over the Bay Bridge and > by Jeebus it was windy ... gusting at 40 mph .. > It scared me pretty thoroughly as my wheel was > taken from under me several times and for a while > I couldn't change lanes because I was so leaned over > just trying to stay straight !!
One of the interesting things about the Clearview +11 windshield that I added to my KLR for my long trip up the coast over the Thanksgiving holiday is that it appears to make my KLR *much* more stable in crosswinds. I'm not sure how that can be, usually windshields make a bike *more* sensitive to crosswinds, but with the Clearview I know I'm in a crosswind, and my bike is leaned over into the crosswind, but it doesn't feel like I'm about to be blown off the road. Even heavy gusts like on the Golden Gate Bridge or the Bay Bridge just make my bike lean over momentarily and dance sideways a few inches but nowhere near dangerously. Note that this is not a recommendation for the Clearview windshield, BTW. It is, at best, a merely adequate product. It did keep the worst of the rain and road grime off of me in my trip to Washington State (two straight days of riding in the rain, oh joy!), and was certainly better than nothing under those conditions, but I'm not convinced that it's the best that you can do for touring on a KLR. But I guess what I'm saying is that part of the problem could have been the wind blowing on *you*, and perhaps a slightly taller windshield would help. Worth trying? I dunno, how often do you go over the Bay Bridge in gusty weather? How often do you ride the KLR in the rain? Etc. BTW, how are your new springs doing for you? My front forks are getting pretty darned soggy (especially with my new IMS tank filled with 7 gallons of gas!), and I'm thinking of springing for new springs, when I have a little money after the Christmas holiday (sigh! Why do holidays have suck your bank account dry?!). -E

Mike Torst

Post by Mike Torst » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:23 am

Affirmed as to the odd benefit of the Clearview 11+. Stability at WOT- even when drafting semi-trailers. Mike Torst A16 aka lasvegasrider -----Original Message----- From: Eric L. Green [mailto:ericnospam@...] Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 10:01 PM To: Barnaby Robson Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] NKLR Ridin' in Mad Gusty Winds
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Barnaby Robson wrote: > So .. I rode home tonight over the Bay Bridge and > by Jeebus it was windy ... gusting at 40 mph .. > It scared me pretty thoroughly as my wheel was > taken from under me several times and for a while > I couldn't change lanes because I was so leaned over > just trying to stay straight !! One of the interesting things about the Clearview +11 windshield that I added to my KLR for my long trip up the coast over the Thanksgiving holiday is that it appears to make my KLR *much* more stable in crosswinds. I'm not sure how that can be, usually windshields make a bike *more* sensitive to crosswinds, but with the Clearview I know I'm in a crosswind, and my bike is leaned over into the crosswind, but it doesn't feel like I'm about to be blown off the road. Even heavy gusts like on the Golden Gate Bridge or the Bay Bridge just make my bike lean over momentarily and dance sideways a few inches but nowhere near dangerously. Note that this is not a recommendation for the Clearview windshield, BTW. It is, at best, a merely adequate product. It did keep the worst of the rain and road grime off of me in my trip to Washington State (two straight days of riding in the rain, oh joy!), and was certainly better than nothing under those conditions, but I'm not convinced that it's the best that you can do for touring on a KLR. But I guess what I'm saying is that part of the problem could have been the wind blowing on *you*, and perhaps a slightly taller windshield would help. Worth trying? I dunno, how often do you go over the Bay Bridge in gusty weather? How often do you ride the KLR in the rain? Etc. BTW, how are your new springs doing for you? My front forks are getting pretty darned soggy (especially with my new IMS tank filled with 7 gallons of gas!), and I'm thinking of springing for new springs, when I have a little money after the Christmas holiday (sigh! Why do holidays have suck your bank account dry?!). -E List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Yahoo! Groups Links

kdxkawboy@aol.com

Post by kdxkawboy@aol.com » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:41 am

In a message dated 2004-12-06 9:30:06 PM Pacific Standard Time, klr650_01@... writes:
> > So .. I rode home tonight over the Bay Bridge and > by Jeebus it was windy ... gusting at 40 mph .. > It scared me pretty thoroughly as my wheel was > taken from under me several times and for a while > I couldn't change lanes because I was so leaned over > just trying to stay straight !! > > Cripes .. the whole time I just tried to speed up > and get it over with and get the hell away from the > trucks ... > > Is that the safest thing to do or should you go slow > in that instance ? > > Thanks for any tips > > barnaby. > >
More than anything it is something you get used to, like learning to drive a VBug across the Bay Bridge back in the 60s. For most folks the first couple of experiences leave you feeling like you had to battle just to keep the bike upright. After it happens a few more times, and you get used to it, you start to wonder what the big deal was. Now if you want a real thrill try riding US395 from the Oregon boarder down to SoCal, there are high wind warnings nearly every where and the wind blows most everywhere. One of the worst is riding by the Mammoth airport. I can't remember the last day I went by there that the windsocks weren't standing straight out. And then there's the Washoe valley were the wind has been known to blow over eighteen wheelers. Pat G'ville, Nv [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

matteeanne@yahoo.com

Post by matteeanne@yahoo.com » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:25 am

Another factor is your size, the bigger you are the harder it is to move you. Two great thrill rides here in Washington are the Narrows Bridge (the bridge built before it was blown down by the winds here 1/4 mile chasm, 400' up) and the hood canal floating bridge. If you get this one in a storm, you get winds like you cant imagine, plus actual ocean waves splashing up on you! A must try! Oh, did I mention the steel grated deck? Or the Logging trucks with double trailers? And litterally no shoulder? Yeehaw! Right though, first thousand miles on your KLR your going to think, "Man that wind is blowing hard", but then you realize while you can really feel the wind, it really does not move your wheels that much, just the top end of the bike. Wait till your on a two lane and a semi comes the opposite direction at 70mph, combined with your 70mph, divided by whatever crosswind you have going. "Hence the term adventure cycling. One guy who posted a site about his trips to ALaska told of a cross wind in the plains countries, Nebraska I think, that forced him over two lanes in one gust. I cannot fathom anything but a tornadoe doing this. Go slow if thats what it takes to be safe though. SCrew the guys behind you... A couple other KLR new rider issues that disolve, Monkey butt, and of course the "Is the motor supposed to sound like that? What the hell is that noise? And if your a serious dirt demon, dont get the raised windsheild, or at very least be ready to remove it for dirt adventures. --- kdxkawboy@... wrote:
> > In a message dated 2004-12-06 9:30:06 PM Pacific > Standard Time, > klr650_01@... writes: > > > > > So .. I rode home tonight over the Bay Bridge and > > by Jeebus it was windy ... gusting at 40 mph .. > > It scared me pretty thoroughly as my wheel was > > taken from under me several times and for a while > > I couldn't change lanes because I was so leaned > over > > just trying to stay straight !! > > > > Cripes .. the whole time I just tried to speed up > > and get it over with and get the hell away from > the > > trucks ... > > > > Is that the safest thing to do or should you go > slow > > in that instance ? > > > > Thanks for any tips > > > > barnaby. > > > > > > More than anything it is something you get used to, > like learning to drive a > VBug across the Bay Bridge back in the 60s. For most > folks the first couple of > experiences leave you feeling like you had to battle > just to keep the bike > upright. After it happens a few more times, and you > get used to it, you start to > wonder what the big deal was. > > Now if you want a real thrill try riding US395 from > the Oregon boarder down > to SoCal, there are high wind warnings nearly every > where and the wind blows > most everywhere. One of the worst is riding by the > Mammoth airport. I can't > remember the last day I went by there that the > windsocks weren't standing straight > out. And then there's the Washoe valley were the > wind has been known to blow > over eighteen wheelers. > > Pat > G'ville, Nv > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been > removed] > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at > www.dualsportnews.com > List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: > www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > > >
__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Meet the all-new My Yahoo! - Try it today! http://my.yahoo.com

Judson D. Jones

Post by Judson D. Jones » Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:40 am

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, wrote:
> One guy who posted a site about his trips to ALaska > told of a cross wind in the plains countries, Nebraska > I think, that forced him over two lanes in one gust. I > cannot fathom anything but a tornadoe doing this.
I've experienced straight line gusts in South Dakota that moved me one lane. A buddy in the same storm was blown over while sitting stationary on his R1100S.

Conall

Post by Conall » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:44 am

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Judson D. Jones" wrote:
> > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, wrote: > > > One guy who posted a site about his trips to ALaska > > told of a cross wind in the plains countries, Nebraska > > I think, that forced him over two lanes in one gust. I > > cannot fathom anything but a tornadoe doing this. > > I've experienced straight line gusts in South Dakota that moved me
one lane.
> A buddy in the same storm was blown over while sitting stationary
on his
> R1100S.
I've seen a lot of BMWs get blown over ( in the wind) that were parked and put up on a centerstand. That is one advantage to the side stand, your bike will rock back and forth in the wind, where as a bike on the center stand will just topple over. Conall

Conall

Post by Conall » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:06 am

I noticed that having a big bulky hard case on the rear rack of the KLR really catches the wind and will adversely affect your steering and basically scare the crap out of you. Hanging a set of tank panniers on the front of the bike will help plant the front end and stabilize the bike in heavy winds. Places I've been almost blown off the rd include the stretch between the Marina and Monterey on HWY 1, in CA, some of the bridges crossing the North Bay (Carquinez and Benicia bridge) and the scariest place is the rd betwwen Fairfield area and Benicia, I think it's an extension of 680. What I do is loosen my grip on the handlebars, countersteer and hang my knee out at a 90 degree angle into the the direction of where the wind is coming from. Another words, if the wind is blowing hard from your right side hang your knee out on the right side of the bike. Kind of like a outrigger. Conall --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Barnaby Robson" wrote:
> So .. I rode home tonight over the Bay Bridge and > by Jeebus it was windy ... gusting at 40 mph .. > It scared me pretty thoroughly as my wheel was > taken from under me several times and for a while > I couldn't change lanes because I was so leaned over > just trying to stay straight !! > > Cripes .. the whole time I just tried to speed up > and get it over with and get the hell away from the > trucks ... > > Is that the safest thing to do or should you go slow > in that instance ?

Lujo Bauer

Post by Lujo Bauer » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:26 pm

I'm not a big fan of the outrigger theory. Gripping the bike tightly with my knees works much better for me. Perhaps sticking your knee out presents a more balanced target to the wind or something similar, but grasping the bike tightly with your legs allows much better control, quicker response, etc, which is why it's taught as the right way to ride off road. A caveat to this strategy could be that when I experience windy conditions, it's almost invariably strong gusts that concern me, and not steady pressure. Otherwise, I agree with several of the previous posts: no death grip on handlebars if it can be avoided (I've ridden in weather where it could not), as little sail area as possible (I was amazed to discover how much tight sleeves help), and faster is better (within reason). Cheers, -Lujo Conall wrote:
> > I noticed that having a big bulky hard case on the rear rack of the > KLR really catches the wind and will adversely affect your steering > and basically scare the crap out of you. Hanging a set of tank > panniers on the front of the bike will help plant the front end and > stabilize the bike in heavy winds. > Places I've been almost blown off the rd include the stretch between > the Marina and Monterey on HWY 1, in CA, some of the bridges crossing > the North Bay (Carquinez and Benicia bridge) and the scariest place > is the rd betwwen Fairfield area and Benicia, I think it's an > extension of 680. > > What I do is loosen my grip on the handlebars, countersteer and hang > my knee out at a 90 degree angle into the the direction of where the > wind is coming from. Another words, if the wind is blowing hard from > your right side hang your knee out on the right side of the bike. > Kind of like a outrigger. > > Conall > > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Barnaby Robson" > wrote: > >>So .. I rode home tonight over the Bay Bridge and >>by Jeebus it was windy ... gusting at 40 mph .. >>It scared me pretty thoroughly as my wheel was >>taken from under me several times and for a while >>I couldn't change lanes because I was so leaned over >>just trying to stay straight !! >> >>Cripes .. the whole time I just tried to speed up >>and get it over with and get the hell away from the >>trucks ... >> >>Is that the safest thing to do or should you go slow >>in that instance ?
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Conall

Post by Conall » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:45 pm

I agree, gusty winds are hard to predict and the outrigger mode doesn't really help. As long as people know the different techniques, and try them out, then decide for themselves what works best. I know Hwy 1 around Monterey usually has pretty steady winds, and it worked for me. But maybe it's psychological, gives me more confidence, so I ride better as a result. I learned that knee in the wind technique here on this list, someone mentioned it was a oldtimer race technique, so I like to pass on the knowledge to others. Conall
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Lujo Bauer wrote: > I'm not a big fan of the outrigger theory. Gripping the bike tightly > with my knees works much better for me. Perhaps sticking your knee out > presents a more balanced target to the wind or something similar, but > grasping the bike tightly with your legs allows much better control, > quicker response, etc, which is why it's taught as the right way to ride > off road. A caveat to this strategy could be that when I experience > windy conditions, it's almost invariably strong gusts that concern me, > and not steady pressure. > > Otherwise, I agree with several of the previous posts: no death grip on > handlebars if it can be avoided (I've ridden in weather where it could > not), as little sail area as possible (I was amazed to discover how much > tight sleeves help), and faster is better (within reason). > > Cheers, > > -Lujo > > > Conall wrote: > > > > I noticed that having a big bulky hard case on the rear rack of the > > KLR really catches the wind and will adversely affect your steering > > and basically scare the crap out of you. Hanging a set of tank > > panniers on the front of the bike will help plant the front end and > > stabilize the bike in heavy winds. > > Places I've been almost blown off the rd include the stretch between > > the Marina and Monterey on HWY 1, in CA, some of the bridges crossing > > the North Bay (Carquinez and Benicia bridge) and the scariest place > > is the rd betwwen Fairfield area and Benicia, I think it's an > > extension of 680. > > > > What I do is loosen my grip on the handlebars, countersteer and hang > > my knee out at a 90 degree angle into the the direction of where the > > wind is coming from. Another words, if the wind is blowing hard from > > your right side hang your knee out on the right side of the bike. > > Kind of like a outrigger. > > > > Conall > >