contest: name that klr part mfg

DSN_KLR650
yamadog4

tank/engine guard

Post by yamadog4 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:12 pm

Well after my first down in the dirt yesterday with my klr .... I guess I was lucky, going to get away with just fan blades! I'm now coming to the reality these big boys go down hard when they go down! I'm now going to get a set of engine /tank guards but wonder which ones to get. I see they run $269 at happy trails and $198 at mash online. I know happy trails in known for their quality but does anyone have experience or opinons on the mash products or any other manufacturers I don't know about. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! Greg

Dave Watkins

tank/engine guard

Post by Dave Watkins » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:29 pm

From The Great White North, My thoughts eh..... From what I've seen mash products seem to be knock offs of the various products designed and made by most of the manufactures and suppliers that have supported this list from day one. While they are cheaper in most cases I will never buy anything from them that is offered by one of "OUR" suppliers. For me, it's a no brainer, given that IMHO it seems that mash has just copied the work of others and is attempting to capitalize on that work and effort. I've yet to see anyone from mash on this list offer assistance to anyone needing it where Fred, Jake, Krokko, Mike, Tim, etc have offered much of their time and expertise to us. I know that they are also making some money from our purchases but I for one feel that I owe them the courtesy of doing business with them after all they do for me. Cheers, Dave Watkins -----Original Message----- From: yamadog4 [mailto:gdettmann@...] Sent: August 30, 2004 12:12 PM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Tank/Engine Guard Well after my first down in the dirt yesterday with my klr .... I guess I was lucky, going to get away with just fan blades! I'm now coming to the reality these big boys go down hard when they go down! I'm now going to get a set of engine /tank guards but wonder which ones to get. I see they run $269 at happy trails and $198 at mash online. I know happy trails in known for their quality but does anyone have experience or opinons on the mash products or any other manufacturers I don't know about. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! Greg List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . Yahoo! Groups Links

Paul

tank/engine guard

Post by Paul » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:02 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "yamadog4" wrote:
> > Well after my first down in the dirt yesterday with my klr .... I > guess I was lucky, going to get away with just fan blades! I'm
now
> coming to the reality these big boys go down hard when they go
down!
> I'm now going to get a set of engine /tank guards but wonder which > ones to get. I see they run $269 at happy trails and $198 at mash > online. I know happy trails in known for their quality but does > anyone have experience or opinons on the mash products or any
other
> manufacturers I don't know about. Looking forward to hearing your > thoughts! > > Greg
Well I can tell you from first hand experience that the Happy Trails PD Nerfs have kept me from walking home after multiple slam downs in the rocks. Combine that with their excellent customer service (They'll actually talk to you and walk you through any project or just trade stories) and I would have a real hard time shopping anywhere else. Paul A16

dumbazz650

tank/engine guard

Post by dumbazz650 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:43 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "yamadog4" wrote:
> > Well after my first down in the dirt yesterday with my klr .... I > guess I was lucky, going to get away with just fan blades! I'm now > coming to the reality these big boys go down hard when they go
down!
> I'm now going to get a set of engine /tank guards but wonder which > ones to get. I see they run $269 at happy trails and $198 at mash > online. I know happy trails in known for their quality but does > anyone have experience or opinons on the mash products or any other > manufacturers I don't know about. Looking forward to hearing your > thoughts! > > Greg
Think of it as either short-term selfish, or long-term selfish. Mash is (IMHO) just copying a product and selling it cheaper. And that's okay in a capitalist society. Better short term return. Tim (HT), on the other hand, has been doing this thing for years, making and improving on his product line and catering to a bunch of DS/Adventure riders. He'll most likely still be here next year, still taking care of our needs. That's more like community. And his PD- Nerfs did a great job of protecting my bike in a 70mph high-side. I'll choose long-term selfish, easily worth the difference for me. MarkB

bigfatgreenbike@netscape.net

contest: name that klr part mfg

Post by bigfatgreenbike@netscape.net » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:18 pm

"Conall" wrote:
> >Could you guys take a look at these lo-resolution photos and tell me >what kind ( who makes) the aluminum bars and secondly, who makes the >plastic wind protectors? Moose maybe? the KLR came from Maine. > > >http://www.angelfire.com/co/klr650/handguard.html >http://www.angelfire.com/co/klr650/handguard2.html >
Looks like Enduro Engineering. Either way, the easiest way I found to loosen the bar end clamps, is to loosen the bolt a few threads, so the head sticks out 1/8" or so, then tap the bolt head with a hammer. This should disengage the wedge inside the bar end clamp and let you pull the assembly out without leaving anything behind inside. You don't need to unthread the bolt completely. Devon -- Brooklyn '01 A15-Z KLR650 '81 SR500 __________________________________________________________________ Switch to Netscape Internet Service. As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register Netscape. Just the Net You Need. New! Netscape Toolbar for Internet Explorer Search from anywhere on the Web and block those annoying pop-ups. Download now at http://channels.netscape.com/ns/search/install.jsp