copper canyon mexico dual sport ride with horizons unlimited an

DSN_KLR650
Mike Hilfiger

fire roads

Post by Mike Hilfiger » Mon Apr 22, 2002 10:28 pm

what is a fire road? and what exactly is this automatic clutch thing?Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

kcuf_oohay_666

fire roads

Post by kcuf_oohay_666 » Mon Apr 22, 2002 11:37 pm

A fire road???? Thats a (usually dirt) road in the forest or wilderness made so fire trucks can get in to put out forest fires. There are probably 1000's of miles of fire trails here in California. I don't know what an automatic clutch is unless you mean the clutch on the compression release but thats not a real clutch I think it's more like a centrifical advance. P.S. are you related to Tommy?
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Mike Hilfiger" wrote: > what is a fire road? and what exactly is this automatic clutch thing?

dooden

fire roads

Post by dooden » Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:30 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "kcuf_oohay_666" wrote:
> A fire road???? Thats a (usually dirt) road in the forest or > wilderness made so fire trucks can get in to put out forest fires.
That might be called a "county road" in some parts I suspose. Duden Maybe I dont have the concept of a fire road either.

kcuf_oohay_666

fire roads

Post by kcuf_oohay_666 » Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:42 am

fire roads are also called logging roads. for removing trees for wood. the legal term for both fire and logging roads is "unimproved road" or dirt road.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "dooden" wrote: > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "kcuf_oohay_666" wrote: > > A fire road???? Thats a (usually dirt) road in the forest or > > wilderness made so fire trucks can get in to put out forest fires. > > > > That might be called a "county road" in some parts I suspose. > > Duden > > Maybe I dont have the concept of a fire road either.

monahanwb

fire roads

Post by monahanwb » Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:57 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "kcuf_oohay_666" wrote:
> fire roads are also called logging roads. for removing trees for > wood. the legal term for both fire and logging roads is "unimproved > road" or dirt road. >
Here in Northern California we have a defunct logging industry (but the roads remain) and lots of National Forest land where FS (forest service) roads go everywhere over the NF land. Additionally, we have "fire roads" which are roads cut by a Cat to enable fire equipment to reach remote areas. "Fire roads" will generally have water bars cut diagonally across them to lessen erosion. Logging roads are of generall two types - "skid roads" which are trails cut by small Cats (D2 or sim) and which are used to drag ("skid") logs usually downhill to a "deck" or landing where the logs are (were) loaded on a truck. From the landing to the main paved roads are larger graded dirt roads....usually called "Haul Roads". If there is active logging in the area it is dangerous indeed to ride a motorcycle rapidly down a haul road. Log trucks do not stop, and the drivers think it's great to smash vehicles that don't belong on the log roads into little bits of budweiser cans. I find the best riding for the KLR is consistently the FS roads, which are graded most of the time, and there are literally thousands of miles of them, plus they actually go somewhere.

Zensurweb Admin

fire roads

Post by Zensurweb Admin » Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:05 pm

Perhaps we could have a Norcal trip where you could lead a ride on some of the better ones ? Sort of a ride for those of us that arent ready for the technical stuff. Mark KLR650A13 ZX6RJ1 -----Original Message----- From: monahanwb [mailto:monahanwb@...] Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 9:57 AM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: fire roads
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "kcuf_oohay_666" wrote: > fire roads are also called logging roads. for removing trees for > wood. the legal term for both fire and logging roads is "unimproved > road" or dirt road. > Here in Northern California we have a defunct logging industry (but the roads remain) and lots of National Forest land where FS (forest service) roads go everywhere over the NF land. Additionally, we have "fire roads" which are roads cut by a Cat to enable fire equipment to reach remote areas. "Fire roads" will generally have water bars cut diagonally across them to lessen erosion. Logging roads are of generall two types - "skid roads" which are trails cut by small Cats (D2 or sim) and which are used to drag ("skid") logs usually downhill to a "deck" or landing where the logs are (were) loaded on a truck. From the landing to the main paved roads are larger graded dirt roads....usually called "Haul Roads". If there is active logging in the area it is dangerous indeed to ride a motorcycle rapidly down a haul road. Log trucks do not stop, and the drivers think it's great to smash vehicles that don't belong on the log roads into little bits of budweiser cans. I find the best riding for the KLR is consistently the FS roads, which are graded most of the time, and there are literally thousands of miles of them, plus they actually go somewhere. Checkout Dual Sport News at http://www.dualsportnews.com Be part of the Adventure! Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @... address at http://mail.yahoo.com

monahanwb

fire roads

Post by monahanwb » Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:20 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "zensurweb admin" wrote:
> Perhaps we could have a Norcal trip where you could lead a ride on
some of
> the better ones ? Sort of a ride for those of us that arent ready
for the
> technical stuff.
No problem, I will lead a route that will be fun and actually go somewhere...like from Upper Lake to Stonyford, that's a good one. But I will not try to organize the ride, I've tried several times and no one can ever commit, just a lot of "well I wish I could go, but my wife says I have to mow the lawn and lube the Vegematic", so I will leave the organization up to someone else. Thanks.

dooden

fire roads

Post by dooden » Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:26 pm

Aye.... I know what a logging road is... Duden
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "kcuf_oohay_666" wrote: > fire roads are also called logging roads. for removing trees for > wood. the legal term for both fire and logging roads is "unimproved > road" or dirt road. > > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "dooden" wrote: > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "kcuf_oohay_666" wrote: > > > A fire road???? Thats a (usually dirt) road in the forest or > > > wilderness made so fire trucks can get in to put out forest > fires. > > > > > > > > That might be called a "county road" in some parts I suspose. > > > > Duden > > > > Maybe I dont have the concept of a fire road either.

Mike Torst

copper canyon mexico dual sport ride with horizons unlimited an

Post by Mike Torst » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:52 am

I am 99% sure I'll make it - a thread is running on advrider.com which outlines it. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48567 The thread has the info - I too am looking forward to the trip and meeting world travel experts, and since I'll be riding with veteran Mexico riders, several of whom speak Spanish, I expect nothing but great riding. Mike Torst Las Vegas -----Original Message----- From: pete88chester [mailto:ppchester@...] Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2004 10:03 AM To: mike torst Subject: Re: Copper Canyon Mexico Dual Sport ride with Horizons Unlimited and Adventure Riders in mid October Mike: Are you going to the Copper Canyon meeting? I have thought about it. It sounds like it would be a great adventure & a chance to meet knowledgable people in the adventure touring world. Have you ever traveled into Mexico? Pete Chester, Kingman, AZ --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "mike torst" wrote:
> Anyone going to the Horizons Unlimited bash in Creel, Mexico
(Copper Canyon)
> on October 15-17? > > In real terms the time line referenced is for the weekend events - > additional riding in the canyon before the meeting is anticipated,
so figure
> October 13-17, n/i getting there and back. > > Anyway, info can be found via these links - > > > > > Mike Torst > Las Vegas > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]