the hipercharger - rerun but still fun

DSN_KLR650
lehmanhill

big guys, long rides, and seats (esp. corbin)

Post by lehmanhill » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:46 pm

OK, I need some information on seats. I'm hoping some of you big guys in the weight poll have the flat Corbin seat and can tell me about comfort on long rides. I just returned from a 2000 mile jaunt around Wisconsin, the Lake Superior area of Minnesota, and Michigan. Although two track and twisty sections weren't much of a problem because I was off of or moving around on the seat, but the longer highway sections were killer on the butt. I could go about an hour the first ride of the day. After that, 20 or 30 minutes, and I start to want to get off. It doesn't help that I', 6'5", 230 lbs, and have a bony butt. Any input? I have to do something. It's just a question of whether the Corbin seat is the right answer.

John Biccum

Post by John Biccum » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:34 pm

I'm 6'3" 240 (270 in riding gear) and the flat Corbin has offered excellent comfort for me. I have ridden several 450 mile plus days on it with no butt pain. It feels almost too firm when you first sit on it but then as the miles roll by you realize that your butt is NOT hurting. If you live in an area where the seat will get rained on I suggest that you avoid the "carbon fiber look" vinyl as it will cause the seat foam to absorb water. Living in Seattle I chose plain vinyl and have had no issues with water absorbtion. But a buddy with the faux carbon fiber reports that weeks after the seat had last seen rain he is still getting the butt of his riding pants wet from sitting on the seat. The fitment of my seat is terrible. The two (OEM) bolts that secure the seat to the frame are a major hassle to get into place since the hole locations in the Corbin seat are off location from where they should be. I had hoped that the problem would go away as the seat "wore in" but that has not happened. I have anti-seize on the bolts and need it as I have to slightly cross-thread the bolts into place while exerting maximum downforce on the seat to get the bolt holes close to where they belong. Even after lots of practice and more than 8,000 mile of use it still takes me about 3-5 minutes of cursing Corbin's workmanship and struggling to get the seat on whereas installing the factory seat takes maybe 30 seconds. Corbins return policy is terrible. A fair paraphrase might be "You buy it, you own it, whatever we choose to ship." I got my seat from Fred at Arrowhead, he had them in stock.
----- Original Message ----- From: "lehmanhill" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 8:40 Subject: [DSN_klr650] Big Guys, Long Rides, and Seats (esp. Corbin) > OK, I need some information on seats. I'm hoping some of you big > guys in the weight poll have the flat Corbin seat and can tell me > about comfort on long rides. I just returned from a 2000 mile jaunt > around Wisconsin, the Lake Superior area of Minnesota, and Michigan. > Although two track and twisty sections weren't much of a problem > because I was off of or moving around on the seat, but the longer > highway sections were killer on the butt. I could go about an hour > the first ride of the day. After that, 20 or 30 minutes, and I start > to want to get off. It doesn't help that I', 6'5", 230 lbs, and have > a bony butt. > > Any input? I have to do something. It's just a question of whether > the Corbin seat is the right answer. > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > >

Don Dotson

Post by Don Dotson » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:49 pm

--- lehmanhill wrote:
> OK, I need some information on seats. > Any input?
Yeah, day-long is where my butt is. Just did a 3K mile jaunt to Glacier, BC, and the San Juan Islands. Did a couple 14 hour days. The butt never was a problem. I am 6'1" @250 pounds. Ge the day-long saddle! don in UTah ===== __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Mike Torst

Post by Mike Torst » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:52 pm

I am 6'2" and 225 pounds, and so far my Meyer seat is great. Also the Russell seat is great as well. I use a dished corbin off road - VERY firm foam. I don't know if the flat corbin uses softer foam. Mike Torst Las Vegas -----Original Message----- From: lehmanhill [mailto:jacbrown@...] Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 8:40 AM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Big Guys, Long Rides, and Seats (esp. Corbin) OK, I need some information on seats. I'm hoping some of you big guys in the weight poll have the flat Corbin seat and can tell me about comfort on long rides. I just returned from a 2000 mile jaunt around Wisconsin, the Lake Superior area of Minnesota, and Michigan. Although two track and twisty sections weren't much of a problem because I was off of or moving around on the seat, but the longer highway sections were killer on the butt. I could go about an hour the first ride of the day. After that, 20 or 30 minutes, and I start to want to get off. It doesn't help that I', 6'5", 230 lbs, and have a bony butt. Any input? I have to do something. It's just a question of whether the Corbin seat is the right answer.

Howard Morris

Post by Howard Morris » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:43 pm

John Biccum wrote: I'm 6'3" 240 (270 in riding gear) and the flat Corbin has offered excellent comfort for me. I have ridden several 450 mile plus days on it with no butt pain. It feels almost too firm when you first sit on it but then as the miles roll by you realize that your butt is NOT hurting. If you live in an area where the seat will get rained on I suggest that you avoid the "carbon fiber look" vinyl as it will cause the seat foam to absorb water. Living in Seattle I chose plain vinyl and have had no issues with water absorbtion. But a buddy with the faux carbon fiber reports that weeks after the seat had last seen rain he is still getting the butt of his riding pants wet from sitting on the seat. The fitment of my seat is terrible. The two (OEM) bolts that secure the seat to the frame are a major hassle to get into place since the hole locations in the Corbin seat are off location from where they should be. I had hoped that the problem would go away as the seat "wore in" but that has not happened. I have anti-seize on the bolts and need it as I have to slightly cross-thread the bolts into place while exerting maximum downforce on the seat to get the bolt holes close to where they belong. Even after lots of practice and more than 8,000 mile of use it still takes me about 3-5 minutes of cursing Corbin's workmanship and struggling to get the seat on whereas installing the factory seat takes maybe 30 seconds. Corbins return policy is terrible. A fair paraphrase might be "You buy it, you own it, whatever we choose to ship." I got my seat from Fred at Arrowhead, he had them in stock. Yea same with mine. Put it on the bike then start pushin and grunten. Maybe I'll oval out the hole a little. Other than that I really like the flat seat. Howard A-18
----- Original Message ----- From: "lehmanhill" To: Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 8:40 Subject: [DSN_klr650] Big Guys, Long Rides, and Seats (esp. Corbin) > OK, I need some information on seats. I'm hoping some of you big > guys in the weight poll have the flat Corbin seat and can tell me > about comfort on long rides. I just returned from a 2000 mile jaunt > around Wisconsin, the Lake Superior area of Minnesota, and Michigan. > Although two track and twisty sections weren't much of a problem > because I was off of or moving around on the seat, but the longer > highway sections were killer on the butt. I could go about an hour > the first ride of the day. After that, 20 or 30 minutes, and I start > to want to get off. It doesn't help that I', 6'5", 230 lbs, and have > a bony butt. > > Any input? I have to do something. It's just a question of whether > the Corbin seat is the right answer. > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . Yahoo! Groups Links --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail Address AutoComplete - You start. We finish. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

DPBiker

Post by DPBiker » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:24 am

I am following this thread closely because I want a different seat also. What kind of discomfort do you guys experience with the stock seat? I get a very sore tail bone, to the point that I have to stretch after 100 miles of highway, before I can even move away from the bike. It gets kind of embarrassing sometimes. And after 300miles in a day, I am shot. Even the recovery take a couple of days. I'm sure it has something to do with my age(48), but jeez, I oughta be able to sit all day, hadn't I? I'm thinking that whatever seat I chose, will have to have some kind of relief in the middle, so that your weight sits on your butt cheeks and not on your tailbone. Any thoughts on this, or comments about which seat might be the best for me or any experiences of the same kind, I would appreciate hearing about. I don't have the $$'s to try 3 or 4 seats. Brent
>Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:34:04 -0700 > From: "John Biccum" >Subject: Re: Big Guys, Long Rides, and Seats (esp. Corbin) >I'm 6'3" 240 (270 in riding gear) and the flat Corbin has offered excellent
comfort for me. I have ridden several 450 mile plus days on it with no butt pain. It feels almost too firm when you first sit on it but then as the miles roll by you realize that your butt is NOT hurting. If you live in an area where the seat will get rained on I suggest that you avoid the "carbon fiber look" vinyl as it will cause the seat foam to absorb water. Living in Seattle I chose plain vinyl and have had no issues with water absorbtion. But a buddy with the faux carbon fiber reports that weeks after the seat had last seen rain he is still getting the butt of his riding pants wet from sitting on the seat. The fitment of my seat is terrible. The two (OEM) bolts that secure the seat to the frame are a major hassle to get into place since the hole locations in the Corbin seat are off location from where they should be. I had hoped that the problem would go away as the seat "wore in" but that has not happened. I have anti-seize on the bolts and need it as I have to slightly cross-thread the bolts into place while exerting maximum downforce on the seat to get the bolt holes close to where they belong. Even after lots of practice and more than 8,000 mile of use it still takes me about 3-5 minutes of cursing Corbin's workmanship and struggling to get the seat on whereas installing the factory seat takes maybe 30 seconds. Corbins return policy is terrible. A fair paraphrase might be "You buy it, you own it, whatever we choose to ship." I got my seat from Fred at Arrowhead, he had them in stock.
----- Original Message ----- From: "lehmanhill" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 8:40 Subject: [DSN_klr650] Big Guys, Long Rides, and Seats (esp. Corbin) > OK, I need some information on seats. I'm hoping some of you big > guys in the weight poll have the flat Corbin seat and can tell me > about comfort on long rides. I just returned from a 2000 mile jaunt > around Wisconsin, the Lake Superior area of Minnesota, and Michigan. > Although two track and twisty sections weren't much of a problem > because I was off of or moving around on the seat, but the longer > highway sections were killer on the butt. I could go about an hour > the first ride of the day. After that, 20 or 30 minutes, and I start > to want to get off. It doesn't help that I', 6'5", 230 lbs, and have > a bony butt. > > Any input? I have to do something. It's just a question of whether > the Corbin seat is the right answer. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

robert bowman

Post by robert bowman » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:44 am

On Sunday 25 July 2004 22:12, Mike Torst wrote:
> I use a dished corbin off road - VERY firm foam. I don't know if the flat > corbin uses softer foam.
The DR650 saddle, which is flat, is very firm. I did about 220 miles Saturday, which isn't much, and concluded it isn't broken in yet. I did the same run last year with the OEM saddle, and don't recall it being any worse. 6' 1" 210 lbs.

robert bowman

Post by robert bowman » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:00 am

On Monday 26 July 2004 03:35, Brent wrote:
> What kind of discomfort do you guys experience with the stock seat? I get > a very sore tail bone, to the point that I have to stretch after 100 miles > of highway, before I can even move away from the bike. It gets kind of > embarrassing sometimes. And after 300miles in a day, I am shot. Even the > recovery take a couple of days. I'm sure it has something to do with my > age(48), but jeez, I oughta be able to sit all day, hadn't I?
Both the stock and Corbin saddles get me in the ischial tuberosities, also known as the 'sit bones'. At 56, I've had a lot of sitting practice. You can't compare the miles, but as far as hours, I've put as much time in on a very narrow MTB saddle without as much lasting discomfort in that area. The Mustang saddle on my Sportster is very comfortable for as long as I want to go. It's not pretty, but it offers a lot more support. It looks a bit like the DayLongs, which makes me think that's the way to go.

lehmanhill

Post by lehmanhill » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:19 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, robert bowman wrote:
> On Monday 26 July 2004 03:35, Brent wrote: > > What kind of discomfort do you guys experience with the stock
seat? I get
> > a very sore tail bone, to the point that I have to stretch after
100 miles
> > of highway, before I can even move away from the bike. It gets
kind of
> > embarrassing sometimes. And after 300miles in a day, I am shot.
Even the
> > recovery take a couple of days. I'm sure it has something to do
with my
> > age(48), but jeez, I oughta be able to sit all day, hadn't I? > > Both the stock and Corbin saddles get me in the ischial
tuberosities, also
> known as the 'sit bones'. At 56, I've had a lot of sitting
practice.
> > You can't compare the miles, but as far as hours, I've put as much
time in on
> a very narrow MTB saddle without as much lasting discomfort in that
area. The
> Mustang saddle on my Sportster is very comfortable for as long as I
want to
> go. It's not pretty, but it offers a lot more support. It looks a
bit like
> the DayLongs, which makes me think that's the way to go.
Thanks all for the good input. I'll have to dig into the Russell, Corbin, Meyer choices, but its good to know that there is room for improvement.

Howard Morris

Post by Howard Morris » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:33 pm

lehmanhill wrote:--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, robert bowman wrote:
> On Monday 26 July 2004 03:35, Brent wrote: > > What kind of discomfort do you guys experience with the stock
seat? I get
> > a very sore tail bone, to the point that I have to stretch after
100 miles
> > of highway, before I can even move away from the bike. It gets
kind of
> > embarrassing sometimes. And after 300miles in a day, I am shot.
Even the
> > recovery take a couple of days. I'm sure it has something to do
with my
> > age(48), but jeez, I oughta be able to sit all day, hadn't I? > > Both the stock and Corbin saddles get me in the ischial
tuberosities, also
> known as the 'sit bones'. At 56, I've had a lot of sitting
practice.
> > You can't compare the miles, but as far as hours, I've put as much
time in on
> a very narrow MTB saddle without as much lasting discomfort in that
area. The
> Mustang saddle on my Sportster is very comfortable for as long as I
want to
> go. It's not pretty, but it offers a lot more support. It looks a
bit like
> the DayLongs, which makes me think that's the way to go.
Thanks all for the good input. I'll have to dig into the Russell, Corbin, Meyer choices, but its good to know that there is room for improvement. I was the same way. Agony on the tail bone. I bought the Corbin flat and it is different. It is firm and very flat. It moves the pressure out to both butt cheeks instead of the tailbone. The Corbin is better than the stock on trips but is a little awkward in the dirt. Howard A-18 List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . Yahoo! Groups Links --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail Address AutoComplete - You start. We finish. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]