accessories for sale

DSN_KLR650
Pete Johnsen

wind screens

Post by Pete Johnsen » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:00 pm

You have got to be kidding me! I have removed the pathetic windscreen from my KLR and WHAT a difference!!! Gosh, how could anywone ride with that god forsaken thing on??? How do the folks with 11" plus screens do it? I can't even imagine the violent handling that must ensue. I ride in the eastern sierras, and the winds that blow here are to be respected (15 to 35 mph ALWAYS). Side winds are a given, head winds are blessed, pushing winds are praised. What are the reports from those who use "larger" wind screens whilst touring? Do you have arms the size of a beast or are you just numb? I am a modest rider, standing at nearly 5'10". My inseem is 31" and the rest is torso. Any replys?? Pete

bigfatgreenbike

wind screens

Post by bigfatgreenbike » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:10 pm

kd6mpo@... wrote:
>What are the reports from those who use "larger" wind screens whilst >touring? Do you have arms the size of a beast or are you just numb? > >I am a modest rider, standing at nearly 5'10". My inseem is 31" and >the rest is torso. > >Any replys?? >
Yes, I didn't like the stock screen or the +4 I tried. I eventually took off the stock fairing altogether, and recently fitted a bar-mounted slipstreamer CF40. This actually works pretty well for keeping the wind off you on an extended freeway ride, and reduces fatigue. Keeps you a little drier in the rain too. I don't bother fitting it if I'm riding under an hour or so. The quick release really works, well, quickly. Bogdan (long time list member who has been AWOL lately) was using a CF-30 with the stock fairing, and was very happy with the results. Devon

aboyandhisdawg

wind screens

Post by aboyandhisdawg » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:19 pm

my A1 came without a screen, tried it on the highway and couldn't stand getting blasted in the torso, was very tiring.... however no screen was fine around town. have a +11 screen on it now, seems better on the highway, but it's a pain to mount so it's not gonna come off any tme soon. either with or without the tall screen it doesn't have the road manners of it's predecessor, a Katana 600.
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Johnsen" wrote: > You have got to be kidding me! I have removed the pathetic > windscreen from my KLR and WHAT a difference!!! Gosh, how could > anywone ride with that god forsaken thing on??? > > How do the folks with 11" plus screens do it? I can't even imagine > the violent handling that must ensue. > > I ride in the eastern sierras, and the winds that blow here are to be > respected (15 to 35 mph ALWAYS). Side winds are a given, head winds > are blessed, pushing winds are praised. > > What are the reports from those who use "larger" wind screens whilst > touring? Do you have arms the size of a beast or are you just numb? > > I am a modest rider, standing at nearly 5'10". My inseem is 31" and > the rest is torso. > > Any replys?? > > Pete

xt535

wind screens

Post by xt535 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:21 pm

I'm ~5'11" w/32" inseam, and found the stock windscreen to put the bulk of windblast right at the base of my helmet. After several hours of riding I would have a sore neck. I mounted a +9 this spring, and it puts the turbulence near the top of my helmet. The bike is rock steady even at 80+mph, but I have a low fender, too. Eric Stevens Mechanicsburg, Pa --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Johnsen" wrote:
> You have got to be kidding me! I have removed the pathetic > windscreen from my KLR and WHAT a difference!!! Gosh, how could > anywone ride with that god forsaken thing on??? > > How do the folks with 11" plus screens do it? I can't even
imagine
> the violent handling that must ensue. > > I ride in the eastern sierras, and the winds that blow here are to
be
> respected (15 to 35 mph ALWAYS). Side winds are a given, head
winds
> are blessed, pushing winds are praised. > > What are the reports from those who use "larger" wind screens
whilst
> touring? Do you have arms the size of a beast or are you just
numb?
> > I am a modest rider, standing at nearly 5'10". My inseem is 31"
and
> the rest is torso. > > Any replys?? > > Pete

Jim

wind screens

Post by Jim » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:22 pm

Friday, June 18, 2004, 10:00:52 PM, Pete wrote: PJ> What are the reports from those who use "larger" wind screens whilst PJ> touring? Do you have arms the size of a beast or are you just numb? Just took my Clearview off last month for the warm weather. Forgot how windy and noisy it was without it - but it's also much cooler :) I put the stock one back on but have been thinking about going naked for awhile to see how it works after seeing so many positive things here. I think millerized (?) was going to try to hack down the stock one as well... ------------------------------------------ jim - A12 - somewhere in central NC

dooden

wind screens

Post by dooden » Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:47 am

I also removed mine, much better. Another lister donated a old one for an experiment. I cut it about 2" high and sanded it then applied some rubberized undercoating (cheapo millerized looking stuff), I mostly just wanted to stiffen the fairing a little. I snapped a couple pics last night will post in a bit. Even kept the top section of the shield with the recurve on it, considering mounting it also, after I get some ride time in. Dooden A15 Green Ape
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Johnsen" wrote: > You have got to be kidding me! I have removed the pathetic > windscreen from my KLR and WHAT a difference!!! Gosh, how could > anywone ride with that god forsaken thing on??? > > How do the folks with 11" plus screens do it? I can't even imagine > the violent handling that must ensue. > > I ride in the eastern sierras, and the winds that blow here are to be > respected (15 to 35 mph ALWAYS). Side winds are a given, head winds > are blessed, pushing winds are praised. > > What are the reports from those who use "larger" wind screens whilst > touring? Do you have arms the size of a beast or are you just numb? > > I am a modest rider, standing at nearly 5'10". My inseem is 31" and > the rest is torso. > > Any replys?? > > Pete

Mike Frey

wind screens

Post by Mike Frey » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:46 am

Dang, PA recently repealed it's helmet laws, but in NC, it's clothing optional! ;-)
> I put the stock one back on but have been thinking about going naked > for awhile to see how it works after seeing so many positive things > here.

Paul

wind screens

Post by Paul » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:22 am

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Pete Johnsen" wrote:
> You have got to be kidding me! I have removed the pathetic > windscreen from my KLR and WHAT a difference!!! Gosh, how could > anywone ride with that god forsaken thing on??? > > How do the folks with 11" plus screens do it? I can't even
imagine
> the violent handling that must ensue. > > I ride in the eastern sierras, and the winds that blow here are to
be
> respected (15 to 35 mph ALWAYS). Side winds are a given, head
winds
> are blessed, pushing winds are praised. > > What are the reports from those who use "larger" wind screens
whilst
> touring? Do you have arms the size of a beast or are you just
numb?
> > I am a modest rider, standing at nearly 5'10". My inseem is 31"
and
> the rest is torso. > > Any replys?? > > Pete
I recently removed the stock windscreen (turbulence generator) from my A16 and the ride is a lot more quiet with no buffeting at all. I think it looks better too. I think you'd need a rediculous tall wind screen to actually keep the wind off and that would likely have a real bad effect on handeling. Not to mention you'd look like a complete 'tard with a windscreen that big on a KLR. Just my opinion. Paul A16 Rio Linda CA

Mark St.Hilaire, Sr

wind screens

Post by Mark St.Hilaire, Sr » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:09 am

> real bad effect on handeling. Not to mention you'd look like a > complete 'tard with a windscreen that big on a KLR. Just my opinion.
This is such a diverse group of riders. A bunch of "regular" guys like me who do IT, machine shop work and other stuff, Chris Krok with a PhD in something (aerodynamics?), Jonathan who's the president of a health and fitness center, Dr. Pete D who I assume is a medical doctor but am not really sure, Scott who is an attorney, Zach who's in Washington D.C. and a number of others. I believe that Bogdan is an English professor, so it's interesting to see that you too, Paul, must be an English major. I put on a Clearview 11+ this spring and now wouldn't be without it. I've already said that it wouldn't be good for off-roading because of that outward bend at the top that causes distortion, but that's academic because my knees and shoulders are too bad to off-road anyway. Second only to the Corbin no-dip saddle, it's the best thing that I've done to improve long distance riding comfort. And, for the record, I'll challenge anyone in Iron Butt riding. (Just give me advance warning so that I can be sure to have a large supply of Stacker 2 on hand! (Grin)) I'm 6 feet tall and this Clearview 11+ puts the air flow just over the top of my head. There is NO flapping around of the shield and NO negative effect on handling. In fact, the effects of the wind turbulence and buffeting caused by trucks has been greatly lessened by this Clearview - which is almost double the thickness of the taller Kawasaki shield. Last but not least, bugs and other road crap now hits the windshield and not me. Mark http://klr6500.tripod.com/ Firefox - Browse Faster and Safer http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Roger

wind screens

Post by Roger » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:19 pm

i find the stock windscreen useful for holding the Wolfman Alfa Glove Box in place. pretty cool little pouch. great for smokes/cell/keys and little stuff and junk(ok beaver) Roger A18 NoT pink yet
--- On Sat 06/19, Dooden < dooden@... > wrote: From: Dooden [mailto: dooden@...] To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 09:46:01 -0000 Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: wind screens _______________________________________________