mvh labrador expedition update?

DSN_KLR650
Mike Frey

wobble at 65mph

Post by Mike Frey » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:26 pm

Today, for the first time, I rode my KLR on the freeway. I was behind an 18 wheeler, boxed in by traffic. The buffeting was strong enough to make the front oscillate - so I got off the next exit and took an alternate route. It also didn't help that my jacket was halfway unzipped and flapping. Has anyone else experienced similar conditions? Mike - w/100,000 miles (approx) A18 - w/600 miles

CA Stu

wobble at 65mph

Post by CA Stu » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:40 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Frey wrote:
> Today, for the first time, I rode my KLR on the freeway. I was
behind an
> 18 wheeler, boxed in by traffic. The buffeting was strong enough to
make
> the front oscillate - so I got off the next exit and took an alternate > route. > > It also didn't help that my jacket was halfway unzipped and flapping. > > Has anyone else experienced similar conditions? > > Mike - w/100,000 miles (approx) > A18 - w/600 miles
Hey Mike, I'm assuming with 600 miles you still ahve the stock tires? I'm assuming with 100k miles, your tire is mounted correctly and isn't flat, too... Several people have had this weave/wobble thing happen, including me. I don't know if it's in the FAQ, but it should be! (Hint hint). My fix for it was to put the bike on a stand, loosen all the front end hardware (fork pinch bolts and axle), realign the forks and make sure everything was even and square, then retorque everything to spec. The front end is solid on both my KLRs, one with a K9 fork brace, one without. Try trueing up everything in the front end and I bet it helps. My guess is that my forks weren't exactly even and were putting a bind on something. Thanks CA Stu A13 A14

Mike Frey

wobble at 65mph

Post by Mike Frey » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:56 pm

Yes, stock everything. Tire inflation is at factory recommendations. I'll take it back to the Kawasaki shop and ask them to look at it. They are good and I trust them. I used to work there, a long time ago. I should note that, at 85 mph on a smooth, empty road, the bike tracks straight and true. CA Stu wrote:
>--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Frey wrote: > > >>Today, for the first time, I rode my KLR on the freeway. I was >> >> >behind an > > >>18 wheeler, boxed in by traffic. The buffeting was strong enough to >> >> >make > > >>the front oscillate - so I got off the next exit and took an alternate >>route. >> >>It also didn't help that my jacket was halfway unzipped and flapping. >> >>Has anyone else experienced similar conditions? >> >>Mike - w/100,000 miles (approx) >>A18 - w/600 miles >> >> > >Hey Mike, I'm assuming with 600 miles you still ahve the stock tires? >I'm assuming with 100k miles, your tire is mounted correctly and isn't >flat, too... > >Several people have had this weave/wobble thing happen, including me. >I don't know if it's in the FAQ, but it should be! (Hint hint). > >My fix for it was to put the bike on a stand, loosen all the front end >hardware (fork pinch bolts and axle), realign the forks and make sure >everything was even and square, then retorque everything to spec. The >front end is solid on both my KLRs, one with a K9 fork brace, one without. >Try trueing up everything in the front end and I bet it helps. > >My guess is that my forks weren't exactly even and were putting a bind >on something. > > >Thanks >CA Stu >A13 >A14 > > > >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >

Devon

wobble at 65mph

Post by Devon » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:13 pm

mike21b@... wrote:
>Today, for the first time, I rode my KLR on the freeway. I was behind an >18 wheeler, boxed in by traffic. The buffeting was strong enough to make >the front oscillate - so I got off the next exit and took an alternate >route. > >It also didn't help that my jacket was halfway unzipped and flapping. > >Has anyone else experienced similar conditions? >
Sure, when I'm right behind an 18 wheeler with my jacket unzipped. My KLR will wiggle around a bit, but it won't build into a tankslapper. Mostly I just ignore it, or hit the gas and pull ahead into the clear. If you get the chance to do any offroad riding, especially in sand, freeway wobbles won't bother you anymore. Growing up on streetbikes, the "not completely connected to the surface I'm riding on" took a while to get used to. I've been boxed in occasionally, but if I think it's actually a dangerous situation I'll simply slow down. Besides, those 18 wheelers blow tires every once in a while, and if the tread flings it could take your head off. Best to give them lots of room. Devon Devon

CA Stu

wobble at 65mph

Post by CA Stu » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:14 pm

Well Mike, in light of your "85 mph straight and true" experience, I'd have to reconsider, and guess either wind buffeting or road surface to be the source of your wander/weave. If the remainder of your biking miles were on streetbikes that are heavier, lower machines, the KLR is like riding a friggin' boat sail down the road compared to them. They catch the wind most efficiently, ya know ;-) Good Luck CA Stu
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Frey wrote: > Yes, stock everything. Tire inflation is at factory recommendations. > > I'll take it back to the Kawasaki shop and ask them to look at it. They > are good and I trust them. I used to work there, a long time ago. > > I should note that, at 85 mph on a smooth, empty road, the bike tracks > straight and true. > > CA Stu wrote: > > >--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Frey wrote: > > > > > >>Today, for the first time, I rode my KLR on the freeway. I was > >> > >> > >behind an > > > > > >>18 wheeler, boxed in by traffic. The buffeting was strong enough to > >> > >> > >make > > > > > >>the front oscillate - so I got off the next exit and took an alternate > >>route. > >> > >>It also didn't help that my jacket was halfway unzipped and flapping. > >> > >>Has anyone else experienced similar conditions? > >> > >>Mike - w/100,000 miles (approx) > >>A18 - w/600 miles > >> > >> > > > >Hey Mike, I'm assuming with 600 miles you still ahve the stock tires? > >I'm assuming with 100k miles, your tire is mounted correctly and isn't > >flat, too... > > > >Several people have had this weave/wobble thing happen, including me. > >I don't know if it's in the FAQ, but it should be! (Hint hint). > > > >My fix for it was to put the bike on a stand, loosen all the front end > >hardware (fork pinch bolts and axle), realign the forks and make sure > >everything was even and square, then retorque everything to spec. The > >front end is solid on both my KLRs, one with a K9 fork brace, one without. > >Try trueing up everything in the front end and I bet it helps. > > > >My guess is that my forks weren't exactly even and were putting a bind > >on something. > > > > > >Thanks > >CA Stu > >A13 > >A14 > > > > > > > >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > >Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Joseph Jones

wobble at 65mph

Post by Joseph Jones » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:05 pm

If you were following an 18 wheeler you could have been in the "drag" where the wind from the truck will pull you along. That has caused me to wobble even in my truck. It wouldn't have anything to do with speed but the distance behind the truck. Joe A18 --- Mike Frey wrote:
> Yes, stock everything. Tire inflation is at factory > recommendations. > > I'll take it back to the Kawasaki shop and ask them > to look at it. They > are good and I trust them. I used to work there, a > long time ago. > > I should note that, at 85 mph on a smooth, empty > road, the bike tracks > straight and true. > > CA Stu wrote: > > >--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Frey > wrote: > > > > > >>Today, for the first time, I rode my KLR on the > freeway. I was > >> > >> > >behind an > > > > > >>18 wheeler, boxed in by traffic. The buffeting was > strong enough to > >> > >> > >make > > > > > >>the front oscillate - so I got off the next exit > and took an alternate > >>route. > >> > >>It also didn't help that my jacket was halfway > unzipped and flapping. > >> > >>Has anyone else experienced similar conditions? > >> > >>Mike - w/100,000 miles (approx) > >>A18 - w/600 miles > >> > >> > > > >Hey Mike, I'm assuming with 600 miles you still > ahve the stock tires? > >I'm assuming with 100k miles, your tire is mounted > correctly and isn't > >flat, too... > > > >Several people have had this weave/wobble thing > happen, including me. > >I don't know if it's in the FAQ, but it should be! > (Hint hint). > > > >My fix for it was to put the bike on a stand, > loosen all the front end > >hardware (fork pinch bolts and axle), realign the > forks and make sure > >everything was even and square, then retorque > everything to spec. The > >front end is solid on both my KLRs, one with a K9 > fork brace, one without. > >Try trueing up everything in the front end and I > bet it helps. > > > >My guess is that my forks weren't exactly even and > were putting a bind > >on something. > > > > > >Thanks > >CA Stu > >A13 > >A14 > > > > > > > >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at > www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris > Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > >Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at > www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris > Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > >
__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail Address AutoComplete - You start. We finish. http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Mike Frey

wobble at 65mph

Post by Mike Frey » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:21 pm

Oh you guys are tough on me! See comments and conclusion at end...
>>erich wrote: >>Crappy stock tires.
The bike sticks pretty good in the paved twisties! --------------------------------------------------------
>> CA Stu wrote: >> If the remainder of your biking miles were >> on streetbikes that are heavier, lower machines, >> the KLR is like riding a friggin' boat sail >> down the road compared to them. They catch >> the wind most efficiently, ya know ;-)
Most of my street miles were on heavier bikes but my 1973 F9 Bighorn (350) never did that, and I did some crazy things on that bike! Of course, I was only 17 back then too... ------------------------------------------
>> Devon wrote: >> Sure, when I'm right behind an 18 wheeler with my jacket >> unzipped.
Well, that's the 2nd reason that I took the next exit! My zipper WAS halfway up and it auto-unzipped! -------------------------------------------------------- Conclusion: I knew I was in a dangerous situation. I got onto the freeway behind said truck, but was quickly blocked. I have plenty of dirt riding experience, more than street, although most of my miles were accumulated on the street. I don't really care much for steady freeway riding. The KLR suits me just fine, that's why it gets more time than my ZRX. ZRX = A Toy (a big fast one) KLR = Swiss Army Knife

Devon

wobble at 65mph

Post by Devon » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:36 pm

mike21b@... wrote:
>Oh you guys are tough on me! See comments and conclusion at end... > >
There are a lot of smartasses on this list, it's one of the things that keep it interesting. Occasionally a new lister will misunderstand this.
> >Conclusion: I knew I was in a dangerous situation. I got onto the >freeway behind said truck, but was quickly blocked. >
Sounds like pulling off was the smart thing.
>I have plenty of >dirt riding experience, more than street, although most of my miles were >accumulated on the street. >
I had about 50,000mi of street bikes before I ever rode a motorcycle offroad. My street riding improved a lot because of the dirt experience.
> I don't really care much for steady freeway >riding. The KLR suits me just fine, that's why it gets more time than my >ZRX. >
I try to avoid the freeway, unless it's the only way to get out to the trails with enough time to do some riding. Devon

Mike Frey

wobble at 65mph

Post by Mike Frey » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:43 pm

We're all wise asses to some degree, my comments were mostly tongue in cheek. No harm, no foul. I belong to several other email lists. Gotta have thick skin sometimes! You ought to see the Taurus SHO group. The Stealth / 3000GT list allows no flames whatsoever, no OT's, nothin but tech talk. It's boring. I'll start a more tame thread next...... ;-) Devon wrote:
>mike21b@... wrote: > > > >>Oh you guys are tough on me! See comments and conclusion at end... >> >> >> >> >There are a lot of smartasses on this list, it's one of the things that >keep it interesting. Occasionally a new lister will misunderstand this. > > > >>Conclusion: I knew I was in a dangerous situation. I got onto the >>freeway behind said truck, but was quickly blocked. >> >> >> >Sounds like pulling off was the smart thing. > > > >>I have plenty of >>dirt riding experience, more than street, although most of my miles were >>accumulated on the street. >> >> >> >I had about 50,000mi of street bikes before I ever rode a motorcycle >offroad. My street riding improved a lot because of the dirt experience. > > > >>I don't really care much for steady freeway >>riding. The KLR suits me just fine, that's why it gets more time than my >>ZRX. >> >> >> >I try to avoid the freeway, unless it's the only way to get out to the >trails with enough time to do some riding. > >Devon > > > > >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html >Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > >

Judson D. Jones

wobble at 65mph

Post by Judson D. Jones » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:21 pm

I dont think I have ever ridden a bike that didn't move around in the turbulence of a semi's wake.
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Frey wrote: > Yes, stock everything. Tire inflation is at factory recommendations. > > I'll take it back to the Kawasaki shop and ask them to look at it. They > are good and I trust them. I used to work there, a long time ago. > > I should note that, at 85 mph on a smooth, empty road, the bike tracks > straight and true. > > CA Stu wrote: > > >--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Mike Frey wrote: > > > > > >>Today, for the first time, I rode my KLR on the freeway. I was > >> > >> > >behind an > > > > > >>18 wheeler, boxed in by traffic. The buffeting was strong enough to > >> > >> > >make > > > > > >>the front oscillate - so I got off the next exit and took an alternate > >>route. > >> > >>It also didn't help that my jacket was halfway unzipped and flapping. > >> > >>Has anyone else experienced similar conditions? > >> > >>Mike - w/100,000 miles (approx) > >>A18 - w/600 miles > >> > >> > > > >Hey Mike, I'm assuming with 600 miles you still ahve the stock tires? > >I'm assuming with 100k miles, your tire is mounted correctly and isn't > >flat, too... > > > >Several people have had this weave/wobble thing happen, including me. > >I don't know if it's in the FAQ, but it should be! (Hint hint). > > > >My fix for it was to put the bike on a stand, loosen all the front end > >hardware (fork pinch bolts and axle), realign the forks and make sure > >everything was even and square, then retorque everything to spec. The > >front end is solid on both my KLRs, one with a K9 fork brace, one without. > >Try trueing up everything in the front end and I bet it helps. > > > >My guess is that my forks weren't exactly even and were putting a bind > >on something. > > > > > >Thanks > >CA Stu > >A13 > >A14 > > > > > > > >List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > >Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > >DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > > >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >