carbon on piston

DSN_KLR650
aboyandhisdawg

nklr: msf requirements?

Post by aboyandhisdawg » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:17 pm

a friend of mine is scheduled to take the MSF course (long waiting list here in Vegas) the course requirements say "goggles or face shield, required, no glasses" or words to that effect. so, my question is, are Z87.1 rated saftey glasses considered appropriate for the class, or do they need to be "goggles". sure looks like apropriate saftey glasses would offer more protection than typical MX goggles, which AFAIK do not meet the Z87.1 spec. there is no contact info provided for the instructors... so no way to ask ahead of time. fixer KLR A1 Lost Wages, NV

PauL M. Bober

Post by PauL M. Bober » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:30 pm

Uhm ... I am an MSF Instructor in AZ. We prefer that you use face shields, goggles, or motorcycle riding glasses. If the safety glasses meet your instructors option of protecting your eyes from wind born frontal debris, shatter resistance and lateral wind .. i.e. blow by that makes your eyes water .. you should be OK. Just in case .. ya got a couple of days till the class ... avoid a big hassle .. go shopping for motorcycle gear. PauL M. Bober -----Original Message----- From: aboyandhisdawg [mailto:a_boy_and_his_dog@...] Sent: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 5:18 PM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] NKLR: MSF requirements? a friend of mine is scheduled to take the MSF course (long waiting list here in Vegas) the course requirements say "goggles or face shield, required, no glasses" or words to that effect. so, my question is, are Z87.1 rated saftey glasses considered appropriate for the class, or do they need to be "goggles". sure looks like apropriate saftey glasses would offer more protection than typical MX goggles, which AFAIK do not meet the Z87.1 spec. there is no contact info provided for the instructors... so no way to ask ahead of time. fixer KLR A1 Lost Wages, NV List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . Yahoo! Groups Links

Randy Phillips

Post by Randy Phillips » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:41 pm

When I took the MSF "STAR" course in Idaho they required: Helmet , Eye Protection, Boots , Gloves, Pants, Jacket . They were flexible on allowing any eye protection, including sunglasses. Great course - highly recommended, especially if you are a new rider. I would recommend that a new rider "practices" prior to taking this course for a motorcycle endorsement. I think approx 1/3 of the class failed the riding test. Of course, you can retest at a later date. Actually, you will pass the riding test if you can do these with proficiency. http://www.sde.state.id.us/stars/guide/Default.htm Hope that helps!! Randy A17 - Idaho [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Chris

Post by Chris » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:01 pm

In NJ, Rider-Ed supplies helmets with visors, it's a non-issue. A lot of courses do as well. Just check with your local one to be sure.
On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 12:17:34AM -0000, aboyandhisdawg wrote: > a friend of mine is scheduled to take the MSF course (long waiting list here in > Vegas) the course requirements say "goggles or face shield, required, no > glasses" or words to that effect. > > so, my question is, are Z87.1 rated saftey glasses considered appropriate for > the class, or do they need to be "goggles". > > sure looks like apropriate saftey glasses would offer more protection than > typical MX goggles, which AFAIK do not meet the Z87.1 spec. > > there is no contact info provided for the instructors... so no way to ask ahead > of time. > > fixer > KLR A1 > Lost Wages, NV > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > -- ___ ______ _____ __ ________ ___ / _ |< < / == / ___/__ / /_ /_ __/ / __ ____ _ ___ /__ \ / __ |/ // / ****/ (_ / _ \/ __/ / / / _ \/ // / ' \/ _ \ /__/ /_/ |_/_//_/ == \___/\___/\__/ /_/ /_//_/\_,_/_/_/_/ .__/ (_) 8600 miles*Russel Lines*Supertrapp Race* /_/ http://www.kingsqueak.org/klr650/

kdxkawboy@aol.com

Post by kdxkawboy@aol.com » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:35 pm

In a message dated 2004-06-01 5:49:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time, a_boy_and_his_dog@... writes:
> > a friend of mine is scheduled to take the MSF course (long waiting list here > in > Vegas) the course requirements say "goggles or face shield, required, no > glasses" or words to that effect. > > so, my question is, are Z87.1 rated saftey glasses considered appropriate > for > the class, or do they need to be "goggles". > > sure looks like apropriate saftey glasses would offer more protection than > typical MX goggles, which AFAIK do not meet the Z87.1 spec. > > there is no contact info provided for the instructors... so no way to ask > ahead > of time. > > fixer > KLR A1 > Lost Wages, NV > > >
Being a newly certified MSF Rider Coach I can speak with authority on the dress requirements for the range. While we preach proper gear for the street we make allowances for the range. Glasses are good enough for the range, as is a long sleeve shirt even if it is a t-shirt and jeans. Boots just need to cover the ankle bone. At the Friday night session the instructors will go over the required gear for riding on the range. If you have any questions go ahead and email me, I'll take the time to look up the official answer n my teaching material. Pat G'ville, Nv [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

aboyandhisdawg

Post by aboyandhisdawg » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:17 pm

i wish she could practice, but she's 4' 11/75" and can't drive my KLR! she does however fit the Rebel 250 and Savage 650 that IIRC they use for the local clases. fixer Lost Wages, NV
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Phillips" wrote: > When I took the MSF "STAR" course in Idaho they > required: Helmet , Eye Protection, > Boots , Gloves, Pants, Jacket . > They were flexible on allowing any eye protection, including > sunglasses. Great course - highly recommended, especially > if you are a new rider. > > I would recommend that a new rider "practices" prior to > taking this course for a motorcycle endorsement. I think > approx 1/3 of the class failed the riding test. Of course, > you can retest at a later date. > > Actually, you will pass the riding test if you can do these > with proficiency. http://www.sde.state.id.us/stars/guide/Default.htm > > Hope that helps!! > > Randy > A17 - Idaho > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

CA Stu

Post by CA Stu » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:24 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "aboyandhisdawg" wrote:
> i wish she could practice, but she's 4' 11/75"
SNIP I need bikini pics before I can correctly answer this question. ;-) CA Stu

aboyandhisdawg

Post by aboyandhisdawg » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:29 pm

Afaik, they don't supply helmets here. i've taken her shopping for helmets, and she's claustrophibic in a normal full face helmet, including the Arai XD. the HJC CS X2 sems to fit her best, and she need an XS... however, she has trouble struggling with working MX goggles on and off in the face opening, and making them stay on the brow of the helmet below the peak. for the class and around town, i'm suggesting pair of inexpensive wrap around saftey glasses available at Home Depot,etc. these are Z87.1 rating and don't have much distortion of phereperial vision, and sit close to her face... no problems anticipated with stuff blowing in from the sides, etc. for goggles, i forget whet they are called, but i'm reccomending the "knobs" that stick to the side of the helmet and allow the straps to be quickly fastented/removed from the knobs instead of workig the strap around the helmet. i just got the Cycle Gear catalog, and they have a coupon for 15% off any helmet, good only on June 12th... so she'll probably order the helmet then and pick goggles when it arrives. CG didn't have the HJC last time we were there. the HJC Symax also fits her, but she's still not completely comfortable with it when closed, but more comfortable with that than any other full face road helmet. fixer Lost Wages, NV
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Chris wrote: > In NJ, Rider-Ed supplies helmets with visors, it's a non-issue. A lot of > courses do as well. Just check with your local one to be sure. > > On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 12:17:34AM -0000, aboyandhisdawg wrote: > > a friend of mine is scheduled to take the MSF course (long waiting list here in > > Vegas) the course requirements say "goggles or face shield, required, no > > glasses" or words to that effect. > > > > so, my question is, are Z87.1 rated saftey glasses considered appropriate for > > the class, or do they need to be "goggles". > > > > sure looks like apropriate saftey glasses would offer more protection than > > typical MX goggles, which AFAIK do not meet the Z87.1 spec. > > > > there is no contact info provided for the instructors... so no way to ask ahead > > of time. > > > > fixer > > KLR A1 > > Lost Wages, NV > > > > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > > -- > ___ ______ _____ __ ________ ___ > / _ |< < / == / ___/__ / /_ /_ __/ / __ ____ _ ___ /__ \ > / __ |/ // / ****/ (_ / _ \/ __/ / / / _ \/ // / ' \/ _ \ /__/ > /_/ |_/_//_/ == \___/\___/\__/ /_/ /_//_/\_,_/_/_/_/ .__/ (_) > 8600 miles*Russel Lines*Supertrapp Race* /_/ > http://www.kingsqueak.org/klr650/

aboyandhisdawg

Post by aboyandhisdawg » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:42 pm

Pat- i'm just curious about the use of the Z87.1 rated saftey glasses, with ide protection, as opposed to "cheap sun glasses" or presciption glasses. don't want my friend to show up with the "wrong" gear and be told she can't ride. she's already purchased one pair of MX gloves and one pair of textile street gloves... since her "garfield" gardening gloves didn't seem up to the task. at just under 5' stuff that fits her is hard to find. she has two pairs of hiking boots, and everything else covered... at least as far as the class requirements go, but the "gogles, not glasses" requirement seems overly simplistic. thanks- fixer Lost Wages, NV
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, kdxkawboy@a... wrote: > In a message dated 2004-06-01 5:49:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time, > a_boy_and_his_dog@h... writes: > > > > > a friend of mine is scheduled to take the MSF course (long waiting list here > > in > > Vegas) the course requirements say "goggles or face shield, required, no > > glasses" or words to that effect. > > > > so, my question is, are Z87.1 rated saftey glasses considered appropriate > > for > > the class, or do they need to be "goggles". > > > > sure looks like apropriate saftey glasses would offer more protection than > > typical MX goggles, which AFAIK do not meet the Z87.1 spec. > > > > there is no contact info provided for the instructors... so no way to ask > > ahead > > of time. > > > > fixer > > KLR A1 > > Lost Wages, NV > > > > > > > > Being a newly certified MSF Rider Coach I can speak with authority on the > dress requirements for the range. While we preach proper gear for the street we > make allowances for the range. Glasses are good enough for the range, as is a > long sleeve shirt even if it is a t-shirt and jeans. Boots just need to cover > the ankle bone. At the Friday night session the instructors will go over the > required gear for riding on the range. > > If you have any questions go ahead and email me, I'll take the time to look > up the official answer n my teaching material. > > Pat > G'ville, Nv > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

aboyandhisdawg

Post by aboyandhisdawg » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:48 pm

Stu- sorry, you don't want 'em! she's a little teapot, short and stout! needs a 2XL, xtra short jacket... if you have any suggestions. oh, yeah... did i mention she gets motion sick?
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "CA Stu" wrote: > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "aboyandhisdawg" > wrote: > > i wish she could practice, but she's 4' 11/75" > SNIP > > I need bikini pics before I can correctly answer this question. > > ;-) > > CA Stu