oil leak or oil sucker?

DSN_KLR650
dooden

wowsers them is thick tubes..

Post by dooden » Sat May 15, 2004 12:49 pm

Ordered me one of Fred's HD 17" tubes.. Snakebite proof ? This thing looks like it could stop small arms fire !!! Did'nt open the Moose brand front tube yet, but if its half as thick I will be happy Tires I ordered locally showed up a day late, but the tube from Fred showed up a day early.. happens to be the same day for each, hows that for timing ? ;-) So looks like tommorrow is bike on the lift day for me. Wish me luck with the swingarm lube. Dooden A15 Green Ape

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat May 15, 2004 2:33 pm

Saturday, May 15, 2004, 1:46:48 PM, Dooden wrote: D> Wish me luck with the swingarm lube. May the torch be with you... :) ------------------------------------------ jim - A12 - somewhere in central NC

dooden

Post by dooden » Sat May 15, 2004 4:22 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Jim wrote:
> Saturday, May 15, 2004, 1:46:48 PM, Dooden wrote: > > D> Wish me luck with the swingarm lube. > > May the torch be with you... :) >
Actually hoping the torch stays on the shelve. ;-) Dooden A15 Green Ape

takes2serious

Post by takes2serious » Sat May 15, 2004 9:30 pm

Dooden, can you tell who the manufacturer of that tube is? Just curious.
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Dooden" wrote: > Ordered me one of Fred's HD 17" tubes.. Snakebite proof ? > > This thing looks like it could stop small arms fire !!! > > Did'nt open the Moose brand front tube yet, but if its half as thick > I will be happy > > Tires I ordered locally showed up a day late, but the tube from Fred > showed up a day early.. happens to be the same day for each, hows > that for timing ? ;-) > > So looks like tommorrow is bike on the lift day for me. > > Wish me luck with the swingarm lube. > > Dooden > A15 Green Ape

Mike Torst

Post by Mike Torst » Sun May 16, 2004 3:40 am

The THICK tube (Bridgestone) or the moderate upgrade tube (Moose)? Just had to chime in - This thread on HD tubes - it comes up ever the more... Mike Torst Las Vegas A16
> -----Original Message----- > From: takes2serious [mailto:rshultz@...] > Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 7:31 PM > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Wowsers them is THICK tubes.. > > Dooden, can you tell who the manufacturer of that tube is? > Just curious. > > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Dooden" wrote: > > Ordered me one of Fred's HD 17" tubes.. Snakebite proof ? > > > > This thing looks like it could stop small arms fire !!! > > > > Did'nt open the Moose brand front tube yet, but if its half as > thick > > I will be happy > > > > Tires I ordered locally showed up a day late, but the tube from > Fred > > showed up a day early.. happens to be the same day for each, hows > > that for timing ? ;-) > > > > So looks like tommorrow is bike on the lift day for me. > > > > Wish me luck with the swingarm lube. > > > > Dooden > > A15 Green Ape > > >

dooden

Post by dooden » Sun May 16, 2004 7:59 am

The tube I got from Fred called Fred's Heavy Duty is a Fly Racing IV 4mm Tube. The front I got the Moose HD, guessing its maybe 3mm ? Really did'nt see it marked. Not bad only had "2" holes in the Moose on the first air up... Pinched that MuthaF@#ker good installing it... Arrrrgh.. well at least I have a nice patch kit for packing now. Was using some homemade aluminum bars/spoon kinda wannabes and being way too wide for the job, I used a screwdriver to assist the tire sliding off the bar and bit it good on a folded spot it appears, both holes were covered by a 1"x1" patch on the inner side (towards rim). Garage kept (mostly) 2001 I had to use a mallet and long 3/8" socket extension to remove the front axle it was assembled dry and was icky of course, so steel wooled it clean and smeared it with grease upon assembly. That was last night, so today I get to play with the rear and remove swingarm and such for assumed needed grease. I looked and looked on the front Kenda K-270 for a directional arrow and could not find one, since the tread looks the same from both directions I just stuck it back on. Removed the wheel weight that was on there, did the hold and spin thing a couple times and it seemed heavy like 90 degrees from the valve stem so figured just put it on and ride it can balance later if it feels lumpy. Switching to my 14t front sprocket (stamp marks face out right ?) to go with the rear 45t, so excessive speed should not play a factor. Now that rear K-270 looks like a mean tire, the front im still kinda iffy on, looks like running it soft offroad might be required. Well boys its time to go out and remove some knuckle skin I recon. Dooden out... A15 Green Ape (Getting NEW shoes !!!)
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "takes2serious" wrote: > Dooden, can you tell who the manufacturer of that tube is? > Just curious. > > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Dooden" wrote: > > Ordered me one of Fred's HD 17" tubes.. Snakebite proof ? > > > > This thing looks like it could stop small arms fire !!! > > > > Did'nt open the Moose brand front tube yet, but if its half as > thick > > I will be happy > > > > Tires I ordered locally showed up a day late, but the tube from > Fred > > showed up a day early.. happens to be the same day for each, hows > > that for timing ? ;-) > > > > So looks like tommorrow is bike on the lift day for me. > > > > Wish me luck with the swingarm lube. > > > > Dooden > > A15 Green Ape

dooden

Post by dooden » Sun May 16, 2004 8:21 am

I got the Moose HD for the front, and Fred's HD for the rear (Fly Racing IV model). The OEM tube feels about as thick as a condom compaired to the Moose HD and the Fred's HD rear just appears huge compaired. Dooden A15 Green Ape --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Torst" wrote:
> The THICK tube (Bridgestone) or the moderate upgrade tube (Moose)? > > Just had to chime in - This thread on HD tubes - it comes up ever the > more... > > > Mike Torst > Las Vegas > A16 > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: takes2serious [mailto:rshultz@s...] > > Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 7:31 PM > > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Wowsers them is THICK tubes.. > > > > Dooden, can you tell who the manufacturer of that tube is? > > Just curious. > > > > > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Dooden" wrote: > > > Ordered me one of Fred's HD 17" tubes.. Snakebite proof ? > > > > > > This thing looks like it could stop small arms fire !!! > > > > > > Did'nt open the Moose brand front tube yet, but if its half as > > thick > > > I will be happy > > > > > > Tires I ordered locally showed up a day late, but the tube from > > Fred > > > showed up a day early.. happens to be the same day for each, hows > > > that for timing ? ;-) > > > > > > So looks like tommorrow is bike on the lift day for me. > > > > > > Wish me luck with the swingarm lube. > > > > > > Dooden > > > A15 Green Ape > > > > > >

takes2serious

Post by takes2serious » Sun May 16, 2004 9:57 am

I bought the Fly H.D. tube for my rear also as it appeared to be the only heavy duty 17" tube available. I bought the Bridgestone UHD tube for the front (Kenda 270's). Haven't mounted them yet. I would love to hear how you like those tubes. Some have expressed concerns about the UHD up front in terms of steering quickness. Randy
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Dooden" wrote: > I got the Moose HD for the front, and Fred's HD for the rear > (Fly Racing IV model). > > The OEM tube feels about as thick as a condom compaired to the Moose > HD and the Fred's HD rear just appears huge compaired. > > Dooden > A15 Green Ape > > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Torst" > wrote: > > The THICK tube (Bridgestone) or the moderate upgrade tube (Moose)? > > > > Just had to chime in - This thread on HD tubes - it comes up ever the > > more... > > > > > > Mike Torst > > Las Vegas > > A16 > > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > > From: takes2serious [mailto:rshultz@s...] > > > Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 7:31 PM > > > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > > > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Wowsers them is THICK tubes.. > > > > > > Dooden, can you tell who the manufacturer of that tube is? > > > Just curious. > > > > > > > > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Dooden" wrote: > > > > Ordered me one of Fred's HD 17" tubes.. Snakebite proof ? > > > > > > > > This thing looks like it could stop small arms fire !!! > > > > > > > > Did'nt open the Moose brand front tube yet, but if its half as > > > thick > > > > I will be happy > > > > > > > > Tires I ordered locally showed up a day late, but the tube from > > > Fred > > > > showed up a day early.. happens to be the same day for each, hows > > > > that for timing ? ;-) > > > > > > > > So looks like tommorrow is bike on the lift day for me. > > > > > > > > Wish me luck with the swingarm lube. > > > > > > > > Dooden > > > > A15 Green Ape > > > > > > > > >

Mark St.Hilaire, Sr

Post by Mark St.Hilaire, Sr » Sun May 16, 2004 11:12 am

> I bought the Fly H.D. tube for my rear also as it appeared to > be the only heavy duty 17" tube available. I bought the > Bridgestone UHD tube for the front (Kenda 270's). Haven't > mounted them yet. > > I would love to hear how you like those tubes. Some have > expressed concerns about the UHD up front in terms of > steering quickness.
I used the Bridgestone UHD tubes (front & back) with new set of Metzler Tourance tires, and have found the setup to be incredible. I think it was Dooden that recently said he thought that the tubes could stop small arms fire, and I'm not sure that it's far from the truth. (Grinning) I'm less worried about ANOTHER puncture on the Interstate than I would be with lesser tubes. The tire's performance is better than it was with the Distanzia's that I last had on the bike, (Moose HD tube in front, and a Metzler HD tube in the rear.) These Tourance's are fantastically sticky on pavement, and the steering is just as quick, or quicker. The tubes have had no negative effect whatsoever. Mark --------------------------------------- KLR650 Motorcycle Website: http://klr6500.tripod.com/

The Mule

Post by The Mule » Sun May 16, 2004 9:46 pm

So how'd that swingarm look? Get it off OK? Steve The Mule A17
> > So looks like tommorrow is bike on the lift day for me. > > Wish me luck with the swingarm lube. > > Dooden