nklr: maps/mapping

DSN_KLR650
new2klr

nklr aluminum bag sealing

Post by new2klr » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:39 pm

I got a set of aluminum pannier boxes that aren't sealed (from oxidation). Anybody know any good ways to prevent them from oxidizing and turning everything I put in them black? Having them anodized or powder coated is a bit pricey and I'd rather not paint them. I've heard turtle wax will work if you keep reapplying it. Also, anybody ever anodize something themselves, and if so, how involved is it? (you guys have done all sorts of cool stuff to your bikes, somebody has had to have anodized something, right?!) Thanks Eric in Philly

John Biccum

Post by John Biccum » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:50 pm

Clear shellac is what they used on Airstream trailers. Some of them as still shiny after 30 years. It makes sense it would work...the black is aluminum oxide. You can not get oxidization without air.
----- Original Message ----- From: "new2klr" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 18:39 Subject: [DSN_klr650] NKLR Aluminum Bag Sealing >I got a set of aluminum pannier boxes that aren't sealed (from > oxidation). Anybody know any good ways to prevent them from > oxidizing and turning everything I put in them black? Having them > anodized or powder coated is a bit pricey and I'd rather not paint > them. I've heard turtle wax will work if you keep reapplying it. > > Also, anybody ever anodize something themselves, and if so, how > involved is it? (you guys have done all sorts of cool stuff to your > bikes, somebody has had to have anodized something, right?!) > > Thanks > > Eric in Philly > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > >

Zachariah Mully

Post by Zachariah Mully » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:50 pm

new2klr wrote:
> I got a set of aluminum pannier boxes that aren't sealed (from > oxidation). Anybody know any good ways to prevent them from > oxidizing and turning everything I put in them black? Having them > anodized or powder coated is a bit pricey and I'd rather not paint > them. I've heard turtle wax will work if you keep reapplying it. > > Also, anybody ever anodize something themselves, and if so, how > involved is it? (you guys have done all sorts of cool stuff to your > bikes, somebody has had to have anodized something, right?!)
Get some paint-on truck bed liner. Walmart carries it, though you might have better results from something proven like the coating Millerized used, DuraBak. Z DC A5X A12X

bigfatgreenbike

Post by bigfatgreenbike » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:09 pm

new2klr@... wrote:
>I got a set of aluminum pannier boxes that aren't sealed (from >oxidation). Anybody know any good ways to prevent them from >oxidizing and turning everything I put in them black? Having them >anodized or powder coated is a bit pricey and I'd rather not paint >them. I've heard turtle wax will work if you keep reapplying it. > >Also, anybody ever anodize something themselves, and if so, how >involved is it? (you guys have done all sorts of cool stuff to your >bikes, somebody has had to have anodized something, right?!) > >Thanks >
I've seen an anodizing plant (had a shock body anodized). No, you can't try that at home. Considering that whatever coating you use will need to hold up to the same vibration and rubbing, I second Zack's truck bed liner suggestion. -- Devon Brooklyn, NY A15-Z '01 KLR650 '81 SR500 cafe racer "The truth's not too popular these days....." Arnold Schwarzenneger, in The Running Man

Greg Roberts

Post by Greg Roberts » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:09 pm

> Also, anybody ever anodize something themselves, and if so, how > involved is it? (you guys have done all sorts of cool stuff to your > bikes, somebody has had to have anodized something, right?!) > > Thanks > > Eric in Philly
There is a good "how to" on anodizing at: http://www.floribamariders.com/anodize.htm Greg Roberts

Lujo Bauer

Post by Lujo Bauer » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:02 pm

I think a good solution for aluminum panniers is to line them with cheap, thin, industrial carpeting of some sort. When I had my Zega boxes I did that with one of them and was very happy with it. I had painted the inside of the other, but that was more trouble and didn't work as well. Carpeting really works great, and I'll use it if/when I get aluminum panniers again. -Lujo new2klr wrote:
> I got a set of aluminum pannier boxes that aren't sealed (from > oxidation). Anybody know any good ways to prevent them from > oxidizing and turning everything I put in them black? Having them > anodized or powder coated is a bit pricey and I'd rather not paint > them. I've heard turtle wax will work if you keep reapplying it. > > Also, anybody ever anodize something themselves, and if so, how > involved is it? (you guys have done all sorts of cool stuff to your > bikes, somebody has had to have anodized something, right?!) > > Thanks > > Eric in Philly >
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mike Torst

Post by Mike Torst » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:27 am

Have you consider using a trash bag as a liner? I have used the trash bags that are for my office trash cans. I 'double-bag' 'em and then fill the panniers up and then fold the tops of the bags over the contents. Mike Torst Las Vegas
> -----Original Message----- > From: new2klr [mailto:new2klr@...] > Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 6:40 PM > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] NKLR Aluminum Bag Sealing > > I got a set of aluminum pannier boxes that aren't sealed (from > oxidation). Anybody know any good ways to prevent them from > oxidizing and turning everything I put in them black? Having them > anodized or powder coated is a bit pricey and I'd rather not paint > them. I've heard turtle wax will work if you keep reapplying it. > > Also, anybody ever anodize something themselves, and if so, how > involved is it? (you guys have done all sorts of cool stuff to your > bikes, somebody has had to have anodized something, right?!) > > Thanks > > Eric in Philly >

butch278@webtv.net

Post by butch278@webtv.net » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:57 am

Try a sarch for ron newman anodizing It will bring up other sites as well to explain the process. Butch A 16

Paul Dent

Post by Paul Dent » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:33 am

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Lujo Bauer wrote:
> I think a good solution for aluminum panniers is to line them with > cheap, thin, industrial carpeting of some sort. > new2klr wrote: > > > I got a set of aluminum pannier boxes that aren't sealed (from > > oxidation). Anybody know any good ways to prevent them from > > oxidizing and turning everything I put in them black?
I used a sort of non-slip textured rubberized sheet that I got at Tap Plastics. But my box is horizontal, not vertical, so non-slip might not be an issue for you. Paul

Lujo Bauer

Post by Lujo Bauer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:38 am

> I used a sort of non-slip textured rubberized sheet that I got at Tap > Plastics. But my box is horizontal, not vertical, so non-slip might > not be an issue for you.
That sounds like an excellent alternative. It's probably easier to clean and dry that than carpeting (though I actually never had a problem with carpeting, either). -Lujo [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]