new 04 klr and braided brake lines question ??

DSN_KLR650
surfphoto1998

klr 4 sale

Post by surfphoto1998 » Tue Feb 05, 2002 11:14 am

2001 KLR in excellent condition. 5,500 miles, fully stock. Factory tuned and valves checked..asking 4,500 or best offer.. thanks Walker@...

Walker

klr 4 sale

Post by Walker » Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:19 pm

2001 KLR with 6000 miles, excellent condition, with maintenance record. Valves currently are In L 5.0 In R 7.0 Out R 8.0 Out L 8.0 All stock except for a Big C "Shark Fin" That's a rear disk brake protector! asking 4500.00 WALKER HTTP://WWW.SURFPHOTO.COM HTTP://WWW.BILLABONGODYSSEY.COM HTTP://WWW.FOSTERSPROSURFINGTOUR.COM -----Original Message----- From: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com [mailto:DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com] Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 10:19 AM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Digest Number 2853 Checkout Dual Sport News at http://www.dualsportnews.com Be part of the Adventure! Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com ------------------------------------------------------------------------ There are 25 messages in this issue. Topics in this digest: 1. Get Over It... From: Jim Hyman 2. Re: NKLR life update From: "Mark McCoy" 3. Re: Speaking of Magazines nklr From: InWoods13@... 4. Re: KLR Stuff For Sale From: "lucynethel1998" 5. Re: Doohicky weakness From: "mnron2002" 6. Re: Speaking of Magazines / nklr From: "hens_p" 7. melting plastic? From: "patod02703" 8. crack in new rear distanzia From: "wilbur_lakeland_fl" 9. 700 mile tour on my a16 From: "mark_anthony123" 10. Re: crack in new rear distanzia From: "Mark St.Hilaire, Sr" 11. Re: melting plastic? From: "monahanwb" 12. Re: melting plastic? From: "mnron2002" 13. NKLR list sponsorship From: Chris Krok 14. Re: melting plastic? From: Devon Jarvis 15. Re: crack in new rear distanzia From: "Mark St.Hilaire, Sr" 16. Re: Honda Elsinore 250 NKLR From: "Darrel & Deanna" 17. Re: melting plastic? From: patod02703@... 18. Re: Re: melting plastic? From: RM 19. Re: melting plastic? (DualStar doesn't solve problem) From: "mnron2002" 20. Kenda Challengers...mileage report! From: "millerized_2000" 21. Re: melting plastic? simple fix From: "millerized_2000" 22. Trip report (or) Pookie puked her guts out on I-80 From: "millerized_2000" 23. Re: Trip report (or) Pookie puked her guts out on I-80 From: imperial-4776@... 24. used klr From: Debi Haverfield 25. Re: used klr From: RM ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 1 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 02:25:56 -0700 From: Jim Hyman Subject: Get Over It... For those who are intolerant of others that: - don't measure up to your standards, get over it... - don't have your level of common sense, get over it... - can't anticipate problems as well as you, get over it... - can't think things through as well as you, get over it... - aren't blessed with your mechanical abilities, get over it... - don't take responsibility for their problems, get over it... - can't readily adapt to things, get over it... - don't know if or when they're being a moron, get over it... - complain about products that have flaws, get over it... - discuss their m/c problems, get over it... - like bigger map windows than you do, get over it... - have tank bags that aren't adjustable, get over it... - don't zip things the way that you do, get over it... - try to help others avoid problems, get over it... Apparently, tolerance is as rare as common courtesy and common sense, it's not a perfect world, get over it... ... and quit sniveling & help make it better... That's how I see it. Professor ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 2 Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 06:41:24 -0400 From: "Mark McCoy" Subject: Re: NKLR life update Glad to hear you have landed on your feet from the job changes. My only advice would be careful and not try to rush when giving a SO an appreciation of your hobbies : ----- Original Message ----- From: "riffraff814" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2002 3:31 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] NKLR life update > Hey all, > > Sarah here... Just wanted to give you all an update on my life. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 3 Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 06:47:28 EDT From: InWoods13@... Subject: Re: Speaking of Magazines nklr In a message dated 6/29/02 11:00:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time, imperial-4776@... writes: > The AMA just sent me a copy of that one, good stuff, looks promising. It doesn't have that feel of being "my" mag, as the DualSport News does, though. -Scott A14 "thunderdog" Sorrento, Fl ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 4 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 12:40:08 -0000 From: "lucynethel1998" Subject: Re: KLR Stuff For Sale --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "lucynethel1998" wrote: > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "lucynethel1998" wrote: > > Virtually new: Tim's Highway Pegs, also his Pannier racks (i > think > > that's what he calls them?) that I never even attached anything > to. > > Best offer. > > http://members.cox.net/oldtimer2/for_sale.htm > > Will put them on a page called "For Sale". I live in the North > San > > Diego California. Thanks, Mike > > Pictures up to view at:http://members.cox.net/oldtimer2/for_sale.htm ----The GPS is sold. I have been informed my racks are probably the Northwest Luggage racks. This in fact is on my receipt I dug out. My page won't show the best pictures so please e mail me for GOOD quality pictures from ALL angles! Price is $100.00 for racks & $50.00 for pegs, buyer pays shipping. It seems the US Post Office is possibly the cheapest shipping? I have never sold this way before so clue me if wrong? Thanks, Mike ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 5 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 13:19:09 -0000 From: "mnron2002" Subject: Re: Doohicky weakness --- In DSN_klr650@y..., Devon Jarvis wrote: > I'm glad people are finding the doohickey page useful. After double- checking > mine (and filing the slot out a little, per Jake's instructions) and helping > Walter replace his stock doohickey, I have a couple minor updates to the > page that I haven't gotten to yet. > > When you reinstall the rotor and starter ring gear, because of the thrust > washer in between them you can't install them as an assembly- the woodruff > key hangs up on the washer if the washer slips down. The easiest thing is to > install the ring gear and washer, stick the woodruff key in place with > bearing grease, then place the rotor onto the ring gear while you gentle > rotate the gear so the one-way clutch slides onto the shaft on the ring > gear. > > The second thing will be mentioning the wandering tolerances at KHI over the > years, on the doohickey arc-slot radius. > > Devon > Hey Devon, any idea when you'll update the pages? I have it bookmarked as I plan to change mine in the very near future (Jake and I are working on some "test plans"). I noticed that it stops without any hints on reassembly, even though I can figure it out. I've heard of some issues with the woodruff key not sitting into place, so I knew to watch for that. Anyway, I want to say thanks, and I'll check back to see if there are any updates. MNRon ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 6 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 13:29:49 -0000 From: "hens_p" Subject: Re: Speaking of Magazines / nklr Sorry, Ed. I think I had the computer in 'idiot mode' when I hit the send button. --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "klxmoto" wrote: > If you're talking about me, I haven't deleted a single email from > this list. > > Ed > List Administrator ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 7 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 14:40:30 -0000 From: "patod02703" Subject: melting plastic? Put my new to me $30 Kawi saddlebags on, which is good, but, now the side panel on the exhaust ( sorry, I mean muffler!) side gets might hot. Can someone out there tell me not to worry, my plastic won't melt? If not,any ideas on how to prevent this short of giving KHI $60 for a piece of black painted bent wire rod? On the other hand, maybe I should go into the pizza delivery business! ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 8 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 14:47:15 -0000 From: "wilbur_lakeland_fl" Subject: crack in new rear distanzia I mounted my new distanzias few weeks ago and today noticed a deep crack running from front to back on one of the larger knobbies that runs from center of tire to far edge of tire. Has anyone else seen this ? Did supplier replace tire ? Got from swmototires online. Have only been running on street/sand with new tires 400 miles. Would like some feedback on any similar situations with distanzias before contacting swmototires. thanks ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 9 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 14:55:36 -0000 From: "mark_anthony123" Subject: 700 mile tour on my a16 just got back from touring the southern maine coastline from Hartford. did a shim job at 450 miles then left for trip. On the way back I was doing 85mph for a good stretch - 5500 rpm. No mishaps except that it fell over on a path in the woods and broke the left hand guard. Slight panic when I couldnt lift the dam thing up. Tried putting my back to the bike and lifing with legs to no avail. I got it up by facing the bike and grabing the rear handle and the end of the handlebar for leverage. The bike raises a lot of attention in downtown areas. Middle agers stop to look at the bike and the gear with a gleam. The sport bikers tend to want to race by you on the roads to prove that they are faster. Some harley riders wave, others purposely ignore you. What a great bike for touring the curvey roads of the coastline and thru the woods of new hampshire. My only gripe is that I think first gear should be lower. Mark. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 10 Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:57:15 -0400 From: "Mark St.Hilaire, Sr" Subject: Re: crack in new rear distanzia > I mounted my new distanzias few weeks ago and today noticed a deep > crack running from front to back on one of the larger knobbies that > runs from center of tire to far edge of tire. > > Has anyone else seen this ? Did supplier replace tire ? Got from > swmototires online. No, but I haven't looked. I've got about 1500 miles in mine, and will head out to the garage shortly to check the tires. I WILL let you know if mine have any kind of defects such as this - or *anything* out of the ordinary. Mark = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = "There's too much talk and not enough walk" - Petra: Beyond Belief = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Mark St.Hilaire, Sr HomePage: http://home.adelphia.net/~msaint/index.html KLR650 Motorcycle Pages: http://klr6500.tripod.com/ My Adelphia Email can be "iffy." If you don't get a response, please try: KLR6500@... ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 11 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 15:24:11 -0000 From: "monahanwb" Subject: Re: melting plastic? --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "patod02703" wrote: Can someone out there tell me not to worry, my plastic won't > melt? If not,any ideas on how to prevent this short of giving KHI $60 > for a piece of black painted bent wire rod? Don't worry. The sidecover will melt. Then the bags will melt next, especially after a long open throttle run, Unless you move the bags forward and don't run the strap under the grab handles, but just over the seat. ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 12 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 15:27:28 -0000 From: "mnron2002" Subject: Re: melting plastic? --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "patod02703" wrote: > Put my new to me $30 Kawi saddlebags on, which is good, but, now the > side panel on the exhaust ( sorry, I mean muffler!) side gets might > hot. Can someone out there tell me not to worry, my plastic won't > melt? If not,any ideas on how to prevent this short of giving KHI $60 > for a piece of black painted bent wire rod? > On the other hand, maybe I should go into the pizza delivery business! Can't tell you not to worry, because I melted my side-panel on a trip a couple of weeks ago. I added the Dual-Star shield, but still got too hot. I plan to go to hard bags next year, AND I've killed my budget for this year and can't add Tim's (Happy Trail) racks yet, so I'm going to build myself something to hold the right bag away from the panel. I've got a couple of friends looking for some scrap metal that I can add that will look something like Kawi's, only better. I think the bottom line is that if you're going to use soft bags, you have to add something to keep them away from the panel. Good luck!! MNRon ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 13 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 09:01:11 -0700 From: Chris Krok Subject: NKLR list sponsorship > I think DSN_klr650 started as a DSN sponsored list way back when > before we had Yahoo Groups or One List. > > Gino Back in the eGroups days, and when internet companies realized that they couldn't actually stay in business by offering everything for free, they began offering two options: Get adverts with the postings, or pay a monthly fee and not get the ads. DSN picked up the tab for ad-free posting. Now that it's under Yahoo!, there is only one option: Free list, with ads. Krokko Oh, and for all the guys up in the GWN, happy Canada Day! -- Dr. J. Christopher Krok John Lucas Adaptive Wind Tunnel Caltech MS 205-45, Pasadena, CA 91125 ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 14 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 12:01:35 -0400 From: Devon Jarvis Subject: Re: melting plastic? The sidecover absolutely will melt. The alternatives to the KHI part are much better but more than $60, except for the Dual-star stainless part. Devon patod02703 wrote: > > Put my new to me $30 Kawi saddlebags on, which is good, but, now the > side panel on the exhaust ( sorry, I mean muffler!) side gets might > hot. Can someone out there tell me not to worry, my plastic won't > melt? If not,any ideas on how to prevent this short of giving KHI $60 > for a piece of black painted bent wire rod? > On the other hand, maybe I should go into the pizza delivery business! > ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 15 Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:06:06 -0400 From: "Mark St.Hilaire, Sr" Subject: Re: crack in new rear distanzia > thanks mark Actually, No, thank YOU! I would have never thought to check the tires for this kind of thing. They weren't cheap, and I assumed there wouldn't be issues such as this... I just checked both front and rear, and as I said there is about 1500 miles on them. Both are fine, and wearing, (or more appropriately, NOT wearing), as I hoped for when I bought them. There are a couple things that may be relevant: - I can't do trail riding anymore, so these tires haven't seen anything other than some dirt / logging roads, and mostly pavement. - I called Avon, and asked what I should run for air pressure in those tires. They asked me the tire "model numbers", (AM-43 and 44), the size, the bike, the average weight of riders / gear, and for what type of riding they would be used. They suggested 34psi in front, and 36-38psi rear for my setup. I do mostly pavement and some dirt roads, the *most* weight with me, my wife and gear would be around 350 - and mostly around 300 for just me and my wife. If you're much different than that, you might want to call them for the optimal pressures... I hope that helps. (I got my tires from the local dealer because I didn't want to fool around with mounting, so I just brought them the wheels when the tires came in.) Mark = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = "There's too much talk and not enough walk" - Petra: Beyond Belief = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Mark St.Hilaire, Sr HomePage: http://home.adelphia.net/~msaint/index.html KLR650 Motorcycle Pages: http://klr6500.tripod.com/ My Adelphia Email can be "iffy." If you don't get a response, please try: KLR6500@... ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 16 Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:12:34 -0700 From: "Darrel & Deanna" Subject: Re: Honda Elsinore 250 NKLR Stu - Try the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club page at http://www.vjmc.org/index.htm Darrel ************* One of these beauties has "fell into my lap" for the sum of $100. It runs, and it's 95% complete. Little stuff missing, i.e. rear fender, the petcock leaks, etc. Owner is moving, has nowhere to store it. I plan to clean it up a bit and sell it. I don't think he knows much about bikes, but he knows I'm interested in them... Must be the CMC 2002 T-shirt... Anyone have any good ideas on where to get NOS parts for this machine? Thanks Stu Mumford ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 17 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 12:16:00 -0400 From: patod02703@... Subject: Re: melting plastic? Okay, thanks for the info. I did see the Dual Star item, I think its $48 or so and I'm sure its worth it,its just hard to spend $50 more on a $30 pair of bags! ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 18 Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:20:36 -0500 (CDT) From: RM Subject: Re: Re: melting plastic? On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, monahanwb wrote: >Don't worry. The sidecover will melt. Then the bags will melt next, >especially after a long open throttle run, Unless you move the bags >forward and don't run the strap under the grab handles, but just over >the seat. OR... You can install a rack (like my Happy Trails rack) using longer bolts with shims under the rack. 3/4" of airspace under the rack will solve the problem. RM ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 19 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 16:20:44 -0000 From: "mnron2002" Subject: Re: melting plastic? (DualStar doesn't solve problem) --- In DSN_klr650@y..., patod02703@a... wrote: > Okay, thanks for the info. I did see the Dual Star item, I think its $48 or so and I'm sure its worth it,its just hard to spend $50 more on a $30 pair of bags! I have the Dual Star item, and I still melted my plastic, even though I was (I thought) careful. Does it help? sure Does it need help? YES. Keep in mind that the DS part doesn't go near the plastic.... Of course, just my $.02 worth... (but with some experience...) MNRon ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 20 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 16:33:32 -0000 From: "millerized_2000" Subject: Kenda Challengers...mileage report! You're in for a suprise!! You'll get about 6500mi out of a rear (I just did) and I've got a bunch of tread left on the front. That's 6500 miles, with just over 1K on the outsides of the tires (doing mountain passes in Colorado) Loaded with self (165lbs) luggage (about 70lbs) and full of fluids. These tires are amazing for the price, will take a KLR over to the peg on the left side and almost on the right. With the right rider, you can keep up with the big boys, even pass them in the corners. You'll just get pasted as soon as there's a straight stretch. More to come on my trip, just have to figure out where to find a new motor. MIllerized dead A15 ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 21 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 16:39:19 -0000 From: "millerized_2000" Subject: Re: melting plastic? simple fix Simple fix, relativly low cost. Had the same problem on my recent trip. Smelled plastic burning. It had heated up the bodywork hot enough that it had melted the ziplock inside my tourmasters. My Fix:! small rock between the little bumper that keeps the plastic away from the muffler. With the bags on or off, it's still there after over 6700 miles since I found the singed plastic. Might work for you. Pressure from the bags keep it in, bags still rest on the plastic. millerized dead A15 --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "patod02703" wrote: > Put my new to me $30 Kawi saddlebags on, which is good, but, now the > side panel on the exhaust ( sorry, I mean muffler!) side gets might > hot. Can someone out there tell me not to worry, my plastic won't > melt? If not,any ideas on how to prevent this short of giving KHI $60 > for a piece of black painted bent wire rod? > On the other hand, maybe I should go into the pizza delivery business! ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 22 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 16:56:59 -0000 From: "millerized_2000" Subject: Trip report (or) Pookie puked her guts out on I-80 Forget the trip. total riding miles was approx 7300 miles in about 20 days. Then, on the way back from my trip, after stopping on the SD/IA border to see a friend, on I-80 eastbound at exit 46 she puked her guts out all over the highway. Coming into SD on Tuesday, the clip and side plate of my master link popped out. I put the master link on from the inside to make it easier to see if the clip and plate fall out. Well after hearing a ticking sound, I found that the link was just about out the back side. I put on a new one, and back on the road. Little did I know that the first time that the clip hit the engice case, it threw out the sprocket just enough to set up a very tiny wobble. The tiny wobble at high rpm's eventually wears out the oil seal, that eventually seizes the motor. No indication from the guages, the water temperature meter was reading just about where it was during the 100 degree 35mph side winds Kansas adventure a week or so before.( air coming across the radiator, not through it, but still enough to just raise the temp a bit) There was no indication in engine performance, no unusual vibration, no visual signs of trouble. The bike dripped oil, but I had been running the scottoiler at a bit higher level since I had to change chains in Rapid City (12,000 miles on stock chain and I think I could get another 2K if I needed too) At 75mph, the pressure around the oil seal was enough to blow out the oil, with 2-3 hours between gas stops and no indication until it happened, I'm out of a bike. It will now run, but the bearings are shot as it sounds like a coffee can of bearings being shaken. I got a truck ride from Atlantic, Iowa to Inwood, WV. (Thanks Mom & Dad!) Anyone have a spare motor? to sell. Anyone ever price a new motor? as a replacement? If not, any one want to buy a Durabak covered rattletrap of a 2001 KLR? How about Ebay parts! Anyway, that was my trip. Yeah, I did see some nice places and met some nice people, but the bike died and that was the end. millerized A15 (Pookie is Dead, Long Live the KLR!) ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 23 Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:04:50 -0700 (PDT) From: imperial-4776@... Subject: Re: Trip report (or) Pookie puked her guts out on I-80 That sucks !!!, I hope you either find another motor, or you get enough money from parting out whats left of your bike, to get another scoot. Dave ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 24 Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 11:12:24 -0700 From: Debi Haverfield Subject: used klr I will soon be buying my first klr. I am considering a 2001 with 8500 miles on it. Is that a lot of miles for a klr, or can I expect to still get many miles and years out of it? ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 25 Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:19:17 -0500 (CDT) From: RM Subject: Re: used klr On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Debi Haverfield wrote: >I will soon be buying my first klr. I am considering a 2001 with 8500 >miles on it. Is that a lot of miles for a klr, or can I expect to still >get many miles and years out of it? Buying from a dealer or from a private party? Private party is better as you can interview the owner and place his or her maintenance habits under close scrutiny. As for the KLR, an abused and unmaintained bike with 8500 miles will have one foot in the grave. A gently ridden and carefully maintained bike will have many years of service left. RM http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/