nklr failing to strip off yahoo trailers - dar.

DSN_KLR650
motolists

wanted: stock muffler and exhaust header

Post by motolists » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:35 pm

Wanted: Stock muffler and exhaust header, in good condition with no tweety sounds, for a KLR650A11. If you have and are interested in selling, please email me. While trying to do the muffler cleaning, two of the plug bolts broke their heads off (they were rusted into place). Also my header is getting rusty again, and the wire brushing and painting job last winter didn't last very long. Figured I would try posting to the list to see if anyone had a stock exhaust they would like to sell. Thanks, --Terry

Zachariah Mully

Post by Zachariah Mully » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:02 pm

motolists wrote:
> Wanted: Stock muffler and exhaust header, in good condition with no > tweety sounds, for a KLR650A11. > > If you have and are interested in selling, please email me. > > While trying to do the muffler cleaning, two of the plug bolts broke > their heads off (they were rusted into place). Also my header is > getting rusty again, and the wire brushing and painting job last > winter didn't last very long. Figured I would try posting to the list > to see if anyone had a stock exhaust they would like to sell.
The header and muffler are stainless steel I believe, though of a variety that does rust I guess. Is everything functioning properly? I've never pulled those bolts and never plan to, if the bolt shanks are rusted into the exhaust, leave them be, they don't do anything anyhow. It sounds like you're concerned about the cosmetic appearance of your KLR, if that's the case, why did you buy the bike in the first place? ;) Z DC A5X A12X

Terry Schmidt

Post by Terry Schmidt » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:27 pm

> The header and muffler are stainless steel I believe, though of a variety > that does rust I guess. Is everything functioning properly? I've never > pulled those bolts and never plan to, if the bolt shanks are rusted into > the exhaust, leave them be, they don't do anything anyhow. It sounds like > you're concerned about the cosmetic appearance of your KLR, if that's the > case, why did you buy the bike in the first place? ;)
Does the muffler not require any cleaning as stated in the service manual?? Since the plug bolts snapped off they can't be removed easily now, and rather than getting them have them drilled out, I thought I would see if anyone has a stock one lying around after upgrading to an aftermarket exhaust. I'm not concerned about the cosmetics of the exhaust, but more about the it rusting more, eventually causing holes in the exhaust. --Terry

bigfatgreenbike

Post by bigfatgreenbike » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:36 pm

motolists@... wrote:
>>The header and muffler are stainless steel I believe, though of a variety >>that does rust I guess. >>
I heard of this issue before I bought my KLR. I replaced the bolts with stainless, and used antiseize. I performed the "spark arrestor cleaning" a couple times then didn't bother. It has no effect on tweety, performance, or anything. Nothing came out.
>Does the muffler not require any cleaning as stated in the service manual?? >
I think the bolts are there to support the letter of the USFS regulations, and not practically necessary.
>Since the plug bolts snapped off they can't be removed easily now, and >rather than getting them have them drilled out, I thought I would see if >anyone has a stock one lying around after upgrading to an aftermarket >exhaust. >
The holes are now very effectively plugged, I would leave it alone. "Stainless" is an ideal, not a practical reality. The "stainless" KLR exhaust will surface rust, but I think the exhaust will last the lifetime of several motors, even with all-season use. -- Devon Brooklyn, NY A15-Z '01 KLR650 '81 SR500 cafe racer "The truth's not too popular these days....." Arnold Schwarzenneger, in The Running Man

Riley

Post by Riley » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:06 pm

Cleaning does zip. Tweety will probably show up anyway, and can be fixed in 5 minutes. It will never rust through. Some people have removed all the paint and it looks kinda cool. Then you could steel wool any rust off. Riley A15 Montreal
----- Original Message ----- From: "Terry Schmidt" To: "Zachariah Mully" Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2004 5:27 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] wanted: stock muffler and exhaust header > > The header and muffler are stainless steel I believe, though of a variety > > that does rust I guess. Is everything functioning properly? I've never > > pulled those bolts and never plan to, if the bolt shanks are rusted into > > the exhaust, leave them be, they don't do anything anyhow. It sounds like > > you're concerned about the cosmetic appearance of your KLR, if that's the > > case, why did you buy the bike in the first place? ;) > > Does the muffler not require any cleaning as stated in the service manual?? > Since the plug bolts snapped off they can't be removed easily now, and > rather than getting them have them drilled out, I thought I would see if > anyone has a stock one lying around after upgrading to an aftermarket > exhaust. > > I'm not concerned about the cosmetics of the exhaust, but more about the it > rusting more, eventually causing holes in the exhaust. > > --Terry > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > >

swampyankee45

Post by swampyankee45 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:21 am

OK I'll bite, How do you fix the tweedy sound in 5 minutes? Some day I will need to know this, I haven't heard from Tweedy yet. Thanks, Andy
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Riley" wrote: > Cleaning does zip. Tweety will probably show up anyway, and can be fixed in > 5 minutes. It will never rust through. Some people have removed all the > paint and it looks kinda cool. Then you could steel wool any rust off. > > > > Riley > A15 > Montreal > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Terry Schmidt" > To: "Zachariah Mully" > Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2004 5:27 PM > Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] wanted: stock muffler and exhaust header > > > > > The header and muffler are stainless steel I believe, though of a > variety > > > that does rust I guess. Is everything functioning properly? I've never > > > pulled those bolts and never plan to, if the bolt shanks are rusted into > > > the exhaust, leave them be, they don't do anything anyhow. It sounds > like > > > you're concerned about the cosmetic appearance of your KLR, if that's > the > > > case, why did you buy the bike in the first place? ;) > > > > Does the muffler not require any cleaning as stated in the service > manual?? > > Since the plug bolts snapped off they can't be removed easily now, and > > rather than getting them have them drilled out, I thought I would see if > > anyone has a stock one lying around after upgrading to an aftermarket > > exhaust. > > > > I'm not concerned about the cosmetics of the exhaust, but more about the > it > > rusting more, eventually causing holes in the exhaust. > > > > --Terry > > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > > > > >

Mike Torst

nklr failing to strip off yahoo trailers - dar.

Post by Mike Torst » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:54 pm

> -----Original Message----- > From: Walt [mailto:a14@...] > Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2004 5:49 PM > To: Mike Torst > Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] NKLR failing to strip off yahoo trailers - Dar. > > > Ok, I am still working it - I prune, and then I forget to do so. No > excuses, > > I simply forget that this host presents trailers, unlike most that I am > > subscribe to. > > > > Mike Torst > > Las Vegas > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > > > > I'll give ya another tip. If you send your post in plain text > instead of HTML the following [Non-text portions of this > message have been removed] will not show on your posts. > > Walt
---- reply Does this look like it should? Mike Torst Las Vegas