go anywhere bike

DSN_KLR650
Glen

wire screen removal

Post by Glen » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:51 am

What is the best way to remove the wire screen from the airbox?? I have removed the majority of the screen now there is just the little wires that are around the outside. The airbox is still in the bike. I don't want to have to remove the airbox from the bike but if I have to then I guess I will. Anyone removed all of the screen from the airbox with the airbox still in the bike?? And if you have please fill me in on how you did it besides the obvious plucking every last wire out with bent needle nose pliers. I would rather not do that, I am sure someone out there has been able to think of some other than that so please make my life easier. I have the carb removed, and jet kit installed and the l-cutout is done. Glenski-lazy when it comes to tedious things A14

thad_carey

wire screen removal

Post by thad_carey » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:58 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Glen" wrote:
> What is the best way to remove the wire screen from the airbox?? I > have removed the majority of the screen now there is just the
little
> wires that are around the outside. The airbox is still in the
bike.
> I don't want to have to remove the airbox from the bike but if I
have
> to then I guess I will. Anyone removed all of the screen from the > airbox with the airbox still in the bike?? And if you have please > fill me in on how you did it besides the obvious plucking every
last
> wire out with bent needle nose pliers. I would rather not do that,
I
> am sure someone out there has been able to think of some other than > that so please make my life easier. I have the carb removed, and
jet
> kit installed and the l-cutout is done. > > Glenski-lazy when it comes to tedious things > A14
Yeah, Glen, it is a pain, but I don't know any really decent way of getting all the wire out without the box out of the bike. And the needle nose plier routine, or similar tool, is about the best way to get it. I even used a gasket scraper after all the big pieces were pulled out. This allowed me to separate any short still exposed wires. Without the box out of the bike, I'd be awfully leary of any wire pieces "hiding" in a nook or cranny. I even washed mine out with soap and water and a high pressure garden hose nozzle. Good luck with it. It's not really that bad to disconnect the rear subframe. Thad Carey A15 (GI Joe at Barbie's)

kdxkawboy@aol.com

wire screen removal

Post by kdxkawboy@aol.com » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:02 pm

In a message dated 2004-01-22 11:34:28 AM Pacific Standard Time, glenski_31@... writes:
> > What is the best way to remove the wire screen from the airbox?? I > have removed the majority of the screen now there is just the little > wires that are around the outside. The airbox is still in the bike. > I don't want to have to remove the airbox from the bike but if I have > to then I guess I will. Anyone removed all of the screen from the > airbox with the airbox still in the bike?? And if you have please > fill me in on how you did it besides the obvious plucking every last > wire out with bent needle nose pliers. I would rather not do that, I > am sure someone out there has been able to think of some other than > that so please make my life easier. I have the carb removed, and jet > kit installed and the l-cutout is done. > >
This is the kawboy's technique - 1) Get an xacto knife and three or four blades. 2) Using the edge of the passage down to the carb intake as a guide for the flat of the xacto knife, push the tip of the knife into a gap. The edge of the knife will be sharp enough cut through. 3) Continuing to use the passage as a guide, use the xacto knife to cut the screen at the point it comes out of the plastic. 4) When the blade gets dull, change it. 5) Use small wire snippers to clean up any unsightly stubble. Takes all of about five or six minutes to get the screen out this way. Pat G'ville, Nv [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

thad_carey

wire screen removal

Post by thad_carey » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:17 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, kdxkawboy@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 2004-01-22 11:34:28 AM Pacific Standard Time, > glenski_31@h... writes: > > > > > What is the best way to remove the wire screen from the airbox??
I
> > have removed the majority of the screen now there is just the
little
> > wires that are around the outside. The airbox is still in the
bike.
> > I don't want to have to remove the airbox from the bike but if I
have
> > to then I guess I will. Anyone removed all of the screen from
the
> > airbox with the airbox still in the bike?? And if you have
please
> > fill me in on how you did it besides the obvious plucking every
last
> > wire out with bent needle nose pliers. I would rather not do
that, I
> > am sure someone out there has been able to think of some other
than
> > that so please make my life easier. I have the carb removed, and
jet
> > kit installed and the l-cutout is done. > > > > > > This is the kawboy's technique - > > 1) Get an xacto knife and three or four blades. > 2) Using the edge of the passage down to the carb intake as a guide
for the
> flat of the xacto knife, push the tip of the knife into a gap. The
edge of the
> knife will be sharp enough cut through. > 3) Continuing to use the passage as a guide, use the xacto knife to
cut the
> screen at the point it comes out of the plastic. > 4) When the blade gets dull, change it. > 5) Use small wire snippers to clean up any unsightly stubble. > > Takes all of about five or six minutes to get the screen out this
way.
> > Pat > G'ville, Nv > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Dang, Pat...you should've been a brain surgeon with such precise procedures...LOL! The exacto knife deal is a good idea. Thad Carey A15 (GI Joe at Barbie's)

Lee Dickinson

wire screen removal

Post by Lee Dickinson » Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:49 am

Maybe I'm clueless, but why is everyone removing this screen? Lee / Colbert, GA

dooden

wire screen removal

Post by dooden » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:31 am

Cause it might restrict air flow ? Because its there ? Maybe they like gunk being sucked into the engine ? Seriously I will have to see some really heavy research that shows it to be of benefit to remove myself. Worse case I see it as something that keeps the airflow uniformed and not hi/low pressure on the top/bottom/sides as it enters the carb. Well has anybody retro fit a "Hurricane" (?) thing that "As seen on TV" shows all this new found HP in motorhomes, buses, cars, trucks ect (Small fixed blade turbine looking this that spins the air) Dooden A15 Green Ape
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Dickinson" wrote: > Maybe I'm clueless, but why is everyone removing this screen? > > Lee / Colbert, GA

rsanders30117

wire screen removal

Post by rsanders30117 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:40 am

Whoa! I for one haven't removed the air cleaner screen & don't plan to. Removal the screen reduces airflow restriction & might increase the engine's potential horsepower. This however, has the potential for making the factory set lean mixture even worse. I've finally got my Y2K KLR650 running just fine by installing a Dyno- jet stage 1, moving the needle up one notch & backing the idle mixture screw out a bit. Doing this, I increased the fuel flow to correctly match the airflow. By this, I mean I have eliminated the last bit of lean surging & have adequate power for my meandering. If your bike is stock, it is probably running lean. So the correct thing to do is increase the fuel flow rather than the possibly make the problem worse by increasing the airflow. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Dickinson" wrote:
> Maybe I'm clueless, but why is everyone removing this screen? > > Lee / Colbert, GA

Judson D. Jones

wire screen removal

Post by Judson D. Jones » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:42 am

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Dooden" wrote:
> > Well has anybody retro fit a "Hurricane" (?) thing that "As seen
on
> TV" shows all this new found HP in motorhomes, buses, cars,
trucks ect
> (Small fixed blade turbine looking this that spins the air)
Snake oil. Remember the "Swarup"?

Lujo Bauer

wire screen removal

Post by Lujo Bauer » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:39 am

To allow the engine to breathe better (in the hope that that might add power). In reality, most people *don't* do this mod, but they're too tired to argue with everyone who claims it's the best thing since sliced bread. -Lujo Lee Dickinson wrote:
> Maybe I'm clueless, but why is everyone removing this screen? > > Lee / Colbert, GA

thad_carey

wire screen removal

Post by thad_carey » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:10 am

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Lee Dickinson" wrote:
Well, Lee, it may be that those of us doing it are clueless, but the reason is to remove a significant airflow restriction issue. From some recent dyno numbers (and I presume they're correct), there are not any great horsepower numbers to be gained from ANY modifications to a KLR650--at least with the usual exhaust, airbox mods, air filter, and jetting issues. The fellow running the dyno numbers stated that he felt there was a significant increase in certain rpm ranges and conditions but I believe that was in the perspective of a increase ratio vs. raw horsepower number increases. The funny thing about all of this debate about KLR performance mods is the fact that those that have done them have noticed and gained a "pleasant" snap out of their bike after doing some or all of the mods. And from those dyno numbers there apparently is enough to "feel" in your own personal a$$ dyno, but not any blazing, tire smoking 10 second 1/4 mile times to be had. I would suggest that anyone who has done the mods should do a few roll-ons or drag races with their stock KLR riding buddies. Barring some mechanical problems with the bikes, you'll see slight improvement in the modified version. I've done similar mods to every 4-stroke road or off road motorcycle I've ever owned. You really notice how small increases like these help you in those last second "grunts" to get over or up an obstacle on the trail and other situtaions like that. A KLR is no horsepower beast, so that little extra torque and punch on a gnarly Utah jeep trail can occassionally make the difference. If nothing else, it's kind of fun to slightly, even albeit slowly, pull away from your riding buddy's stock KLR with a big grin on your face as you look back at him. In that event, I am indeed clueless. An interesting observation on this forum about many of these "KLR Horsepower", "Fuel to the Fire", and "Airbox Mods" threads has been how some fairly passionate debate has insued. I think some KLR folk who don't believe in doing these mods almost feel compelled to "diss" those who have done so. Then likewise some of us who have done the mods feel compelled to "defend" the reason for doing the mods. In reality the whole issue has just shown how diverse the perpectives of people in general tend to be, even in a specific group of specific motorcycle owners like ours. So, Lee, you'll just have to wade through the pros and cons and even all the passionate opinions to make your best guess on what, if anything, you should do to your bike. If you're not already a chronic tinkerer with any of your personal pieces of equipment that you own, then possibly you're not a candidate for wasting time considering or doing any of these mods. I've heard that a stock KLR is pretty fun to ride just as is--LOL! Thad Carey A15 (Barbie looking for elusive KLR power)