nklr non-cog: diy paper yamaha motorcycles

DSN_KLR650
Mike T

cobra sparky usfs approved and the laser duro pro - update

Post by Mike T » Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:34 pm

Ok, the Cobra Sparky is mounted -I am currently testing the integrity of this 'solution' over the next few weeks. Note- NO modifications to either the Duro or the Sparky, the 2.5" clamp-on model, directive is intact, just as it should be. Also, it is easily (SO far) returnable to a pre-Sparky configuration, and visa versa, so far, without as much as discoloration of the exhaust stinger of the Laser Duro. I'll post back after I am satisfied that this solution will easily work for everyone that has the Duro and wants to keep the forestry service happy. I will run the bike by local Forestry personnel for the 'thumbs up' before I am done assessing the project. Verbally, they said that what, and how, I am doing it will be AOK. Personally, I want the USFS arrestor mounted when I am off-road, regardless of the government's approval. Mike T A16 Las Vegas [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

bigfatgreenbike

Post by bigfatgreenbike » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:12 pm

z89101@... wrote:
>Personally, I want the USFS arrestor mounted when I am off-road, regardless >of the government's approval. > > > >
For those occasions when just one spark arrestor isn't enough? The pro-duro actually has a spark arrestor, apparently Laser just didn't bother to get it USFS approved. Too bad. I think a lot of people might buy one if they didn't have to worry about getting ticketed or booted from a D/S ride. -- Devon Brooklyn, NY A15-Z '01 KLR650 '81 SR500 cafe racer "The truth's not too popular these days....." Arnold Schwarzenneger, in The Running Man

Stuart Mumford

Post by Stuart Mumford » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:39 pm

> -----Original Message-----
z89101@... wrote:
>Personally, I want the USFS arrestor mounted when I am off-road, regardless >of the government's approval. >
For those occasions when just one spark arrestor isn't enough? The pro-duro actually has a spark arrestor, apparently Laser just didn't bother to get it USFS approved. Too bad. I think a lot of people might buy one if they didn't have to worry about getting ticketed or booted from a D/S ride. ---------------------------------------------------- FWIW, I have participated in a lot of organized D/S rides that involved checking for spark arrestors (out here in the land of the flammable forest), and the inspectors just ram a rod up your exhaust. Then they make you go get your bike. KIDDING! The inspection consists of a steel rod inserted into your motorcycle muffler, that's all. It doesn't make economic sense for the folks at Jama/Laser to spend a wad of dough to get a USFS stamp of approval on their product. How many of them do you think they sell in the US, and what's teh profit margin. Get out your calculator and think about that for a minute. CA Stu A13 A14 PS I picked up a 2000 KLR (with a tailbag and a spare battery and a spare air filter) today for $2000. PPS That didn't include fork spring bearings. PPPS It had 114.5 miles on the clock when I rode it home... _____ CA __ STU _____ _ |_ _|__ / _|_ _ |_ _| |__ _ _ _ __ ___ _ __ ___ _ __ | |/ _ \| |_| | | | | | | '_ \| | | | '_ ` _ \| '_ \ / _ \ '__| | | (_) | _| |_| | | | | | | | |_| | | | | | | |_) | __/ | |_|\___/|_| \__,_| |_| |_| |_|\__,_|_| |_| |_| .__/ \___|_| |_|

Russell Scott

Post by Russell Scott » Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:48 pm

Stu, you threatening little old ladies if they don't hand over their KLR on the cheap again. R <- Does Mrs. Stu want to join the list, or is this just a backup? -----Original Message----- From: Stuart Mumford [mailto:s2mumford@...] Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 10:38 PM PS I picked up a 2000 KLR (with a tailbag and a spare battery and a spare air filter) today for $2000. PPS That didn't include fork spring bearings. PPPS It had 114.5 miles on the clock when I rode it home...

Mike T

Post by Mike T » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:56 pm

Gee, I was informed that the cost was NOT high. It is not the EPA test. Just how much are these non-US based builders factoring in when they build their product and offer them through US distributors? I heard of a financial cost lower than one months mortgage, but perhaps I was mislead. Facts on cost. The Laser Pro Duro spark arrestor has big holes cut into a convex metal disk, welded into the mufflers 'stinger'; not a screen like the Cobra Stinger, or other US solutions. Note - I will not make a dime out of this debacle. When my fix is workable, and approved by local USFS auditors, I will make sure that all parties are up to speed (in our little DS world, for sure). Those that sell the Laser Pro Duro can use my results, without compensation, to market the package. I will never see a DIME. Mike T A16 Las Vegas PS - still need a stock KLR to be in/ come to Las Vegas for dyno testing - with a good chain. Mike T A16 Las Vegas -----Original Message----- From: Stuart Mumford [mailto:s2mumford@...] Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 7:38 PM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] RE: Cobra Sparky USFS approved and the Laser Duro Pro - update
> -----Original Message-----
z89101@... wrote:
>Personally, I want the USFS arrestor mounted when I am off-road, regardless >of the government's approval. >
For those occasions when just one spark arrestor isn't enough? The pro-duro actually has a spark arrestor, apparently Laser just didn't bother to get it USFS approved. Too bad. I think a lot of people might buy one if they didn't have to worry about getting ticketed or booted from a D/S ride. ---------------------------------------------------- FWIW, I have participated in a lot of organized D/S rides that involved checking for spark arrestors (out here in the land of the flammable forest), and the inspectors just ram a rod up your exhaust. Then they make you go get your bike. KIDDING! The inspection consists of a steel rod inserted into your motorcycle muffler, that's all. It doesn't make economic sense for the folks at Jama/Laser to spend a wad of dough to get a USFS stamp of approval on their product. How many of them do you think they sell in the US, and what's teh profit margin. Get out your calculator and think about that for a minute. CA Stu A13 A14 PS I picked up a 2000 KLR (with a tailbag and a spare battery and a spare air filter) today for $2000. PPS That didn't include fork spring bearings. PPPS It had 114.5 miles on the clock when I rode it home... _____ CA __ STU _____ _ |_ _|__ / _|_ _ |_ _| |__ _ _ _ __ ___ _ __ ___ _ __ | |/ _ \| |_| | | | | | | '_ \| | | | '_ ` _ \| '_ \ / _ \ '__| | | (_) | _| |_| | | | | | | | |_| | | | | | | |_) | __/ | |_|\___/|_| \__,_| |_| |_| |_|\__,_|_| |_| |_| .__/ \___|_| |_| List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . Yahoo! Groups Links To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_klr650/ To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Mike T

Post by Mike T » Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:31 pm

Russell, you do not know me, or I you. So my response to the flagrant display of "I hooked a big one"? Like catching herpes in a condom-excluded house of pleasure. Mike T A16 Las Vegas -----Original Message----- From: Russell Scott [mailto:russell@...] Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 4:49 PM To: KListeRs Subject: RE: [DSN_klr650] RE: Cobra Sparky USFS approved and the Laser Duro Pro - update Stu, you threatening little old ladies if they don't hand over their KLR on the cheap again. R www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . Yahoo! Groups Links To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DSN_klr650/ To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Stuart Mumford

Post by Stuart Mumford » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:18 am

> -----Original Message----- > Gee, I was informed that the cost was NOT high. It is not the EPA > test. Just > how much are these non-US based builders factoring in when they > build their > product and offer them through US distributors? I heard of a > financial cost > lower than one months mortgage, but perhaps I was mislead. > > > Facts on cost. > > The Laser Pro Duro spark arrestor has big holes cut into a convex metal > disk, welded into the mufflers 'stinger'; not a screen like the Cobra > Stinger, or other US solutions. > > > Note - I will not make a dime out of this debacle. When my fix is > workable, > and approved by local USFS auditors, I will make sure that all parties are > up to speed (in our little DS world, for sure). > > Those that sell the Laser Pro Duro can use my results, without > compensation, > to market the package. I will never see a DIME. > > > Mike T > A16 > Las Vegas
Well shit, having my bike tested and passed several times by the AMA officials, forest service, and BLM personnel in what is arguably the area of the country most prone to forest fires isn't good enough for you? It's good enough for me, and them. I humbly suggest you contact Laser/Jama at JAMA Engineering B.V. Boonsweg 85 3274 LH Heinenoord The Netherlands http://www.laser-jama.nl to see if they approve? Seems kinda presumptuous to do anything like that without their consent and approval...
> PS - still need a stock KLR to be in/ come to Las Vegas for dyno testing - > with a good chain.
Why not test yours? I mean it's brand spankin' new, isn't it? Thanks CA Stu

Fred Hink

Post by Fred Hink » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:23 am

I know it's hard to believe that the whole world doesn't revolve around the good ol USA. I have been in contact with Jama many times about the USFS spark arrestor issue and they are just not interested. As far as I know, I am the only source for the Laser Pro Duro for the KLR in North America. The KLR slice of the Laser Pie is pretty small and I doubt that what ever you have to tell Jama is going to make much of a difference. I wish you the best. I did run a Laser Pro Duro over to the local USFS office and got the word from the guy that does the checking of spark arrestors. He told me that if he were to check this exhaust in "the field" that he would pass it. So I guess you can make as big a deal about the no USFS stamp as you want to. The Laser Pro Duro is still the finest exhaust for the KLR on the market today. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/cmc.html
----- Original Message ----- From: "bigfatgreenbike" To: "KLR650 group" DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 7:57 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Cobra Sparky USFS approved and the Laser Duro Pro - update > > > z89101@... wrote: > > >Personally, I want the USFS arrestor mounted when I am off-road, regardless > >of the government's approval. > > > > > > > > > For those occasions when just one spark arrestor isn't enough? > > The pro-duro actually has a spark arrestor, apparently Laser just didn't > bother to get it USFS approved. > > Too bad. I think a lot of people might buy one if they didn't have to > worry about getting ticketed or booted from a D/S ride. > > -- > Devon

k.saltzer@comcast.net

Post by k.saltzer@comcast.net » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:01 am

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hink" wrote:
> I know it's hard to believe that the whole world doesn't revolve
around the
> good ol USA. I have been in contact with Jama many times about the
USFS
> spark arrestor issue and they are just not interested. As far as I
know, I
> am the only source for the Laser Pro Duro for the KLR in North
America. The
> KLR slice of the Laser Pie is pretty small and I doubt that what
ever you
> have to tell Jama is going to make much of a difference. I wish
you the
> best. > > I did run a Laser Pro Duro over to the local USFS office and got
the word
> from the guy that does the checking of spark arrestors. He told me
that if
> he were to check this exhaust in "the field" that he would pass
it. So I
> guess you can make as big a deal about the no USFS stamp as you
want to.
> The Laser Pro Duro is still the finest exhaust for the KLR on the
market
Which one did you take over to the local office Fred? The street, or off road version? MrMoose A8 (Barbie and Ken special) with 14,000 miles on my Laser Pro Duro and still loving every minute of it.

Fred Hink

Post by Fred Hink » Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:09 am

It was the quiet model. The louder model has the same screen at the turn down tip like the quiet model has. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com http://www.angelfire.com/ut/moab/cmc.html
----- Original Message ----- From: To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 3:01 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Cobra Sparky USFS approved and the Laser Duro Pro - update > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Hink" wrote: > > I did run a Laser Pro Duro over to the local USFS office and got > the word > > from the guy that does the checking of spark arrestors. He told me > that if > > he were to check this exhaust in "the field" that he would pass > it. > > Which one did you take over to the local office Fred? The street, or > off road version? > > MrMoose > A8 (Barbie and Ken special) with 14,000 miles on my Laser Pro Duro > and still loving every minute of it.