nklr risks and wandering

DSN_KLR650
jeff

klr seat height

Post by jeff » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:27 pm

Would a person at 5'7" have a real problem riding a KLR650? -Jeff Hughes [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Arden Kysely

klr seat height

Post by Arden Kysely » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:42 pm

Depends on leg length more than height. I'm a little over 5'8" with a 31" inseam and I don't have a problem. It also depends on how much foot contact you require with the ground. My feet both touch, but they're far from flat. If you want it lower you can buy a lower seat, have the stock seat shaved, or get lowering links. Mine is fine just as it came from the factory. If you tour on it and add the weight of luggage and gear, it gets a little lower just when you need it most. __Arden
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" wrote: > Would a person at 5'7" have a real problem riding a KLR650? > > -Jeff Hughes > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Devon

klr seat height

Post by Devon » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:55 pm

Mechwarrior01@... wrote:
>Would a person at 5'7" have a real problem riding a KLR650? > >
No. I'm 5'7". I have a Corbin dip seat, which is nice for offroading (having the extra 1" of reach without sacrificing the ground clearance) but even that's not necessary. There are a lot of things you can do with the suspension to make it fit you even better, some are expensive and others are pretty cheap. With the sheepskin on the seat, I can just get the balls of both feet down at once. Devon

Jim The Canoeist

klr seat height

Post by Jim The Canoeist » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:08 pm

Put your leg over one at a dealer's or find someone on this list near you. Once you have determined that the ground is 'way down there' and only with tippy-toe extensions can you reach it, you will be demotivated - especially if the 5'7' is coupled with a short inseam. Do not let that dissuade you. A totally satisfactory dual-purpose machine for the "altitude-challenged" is the KLR650 with the suspension lowered (cheap and easy) and/or a modified or replacement seat. If you are anywhere near Peoria, AZ, you can test yourself on mine which is 3" lower in the saddle and I am 5'6" with 28" inseam. (That invite goes for any other local folks who want to measure themselves - 623 815-0171.) My son is 5'4" and he rides mine just fine too. -Jim in AZ
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 11:13 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] KLR seat height > Would a person at 5'7" have a real problem riding a KLR650? > > -Jeff Hughes > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

jeff

klr seat height

Post by jeff » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:50 pm

I have a 30" inseam.... i heard from my MSC instructor that for safety, you should be able to flatfoot both feet.... -Jeff Hughes -------Original Message------- From: Arden Kysely Date: Friday, December 05, 2003 01:43:59 PM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: KLR seat height Depends on leg length more than height. I'm a little over 5'8" with a 31" inseam and I don't have a problem. It also depends on how much foot contact you require with the ground. My feet both touch, but they're far from flat. If you want it lower you can buy a lower seat, have the stock seat shaved, or get lowering links. Mine is fine just as it came from the factory. If you tour on it and add the weight of luggage and gear, it gets a little lower just when you need it most. __Arden
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" wrote: > Would a person at 5'7" have a real problem riding a KLR650? > > -Jeff Hughes > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Don Kime

klr seat height

Post by Don Kime » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:13 pm

At 01:56 PM 12/5/03 -0500, Jeff wrote:
>I have a 30" inseam.... i heard from my MSC instructor that for safety, you >should be able to flatfoot both feet....
Imo, that's very conservative. Probably good advice for a newbie. Once you become a reasonably skilled rider, the balls of both feet is great, and the ball of one foot and tiptoe of the other is passable. Just avoid stopping on gutters like the entrance to a driveway! Ride safe, Don Kime - VFR750F, GL1500SE, GL1100, KLR 650 OH - M/C Safety Instructor/RiderCoach dkime@... http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/

Chris

klr seat height

Post by Chris » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:20 pm

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 01:56:38PM -0500, Jeff wrote:
> I have a 30" inseam.... i heard from my MSC instructor that for safety, you > should be able to flatfoot both feet.... > > -Jeff Hughes
As a new rider, yeah I'd have to agree with him. It will give you a lot more confidence on the bike if you can. Also the weight is pretty high on a KLR, any added leverage you have against it is a help, if you're a new rider you will be wobbly and not having firm footing isn't very reassuring. As mentioned though, you can lower it pretty easily. Adding a link kit is probably a half hour's work, then you slide the forks up in the clamps to level it out. You will lose ground clearance this way, but as a new rider it shouldn't be an issue to you for anywhere you should be riding. A 3" link kit and a dipped seat and you should be all set. A lot of dealers will pop a link kit on for you or just ask the list for local members, there are many who would gladly help out if you aren't sure about doing it yourself. I can tell you from a perspective of a returning rider just getting licensed again in June that the KLR is nothing but friendly to get going on. I'm completely satisfied with my choice to go with this bike. Has plenty of power, but not so much as to beg me into real trouble. The suspension and brakes make it very forgiving of meatheaded rider errors. I can manhandle it disgustingly mid-turn and get away with things that on a sportbike I'd be eating a guardrail from. Plus you can take it on trails....which is the most fun I've ever had and an amazing confidence and skill builder. Forgiving ride and power Simple and reliable design, easy to work on Great mileage and cheap to run in general A bargain for the money A steal as a used bike generally I wouldn't give up on it yet. -- ___ ______ _____ __ ________ ___ / _ |< < / == / ___/__ / /_ /_ __/ / __ ____ _ ___ /__ \ / __ |/ // / ****/ (_ / _ \/ __/ / / / _ \/ // / ' \/ _ \ /__/ /_/ |_/_//_/ == \___/\___/\__/ /_/ /_//_/\_,_/_/_/_/ .__/ (_) 8600 miles*Russel Lines*Supertrapp Race* /_/ http://www.panix.com/~cesser/mybike/

Jim The Canoeist

klr seat height

Post by Jim The Canoeist » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:48 pm

Hardly any offroad bike/rider combo's allow for that any more. Just the taller riders have that advantage. I agree on the safety concern but we have created a market for long wheel travel and soft seats and that somehow translates to the engineers that it is OK to design unacceptable seat heights for shorter riders. It's universal. Try to find even a 400cc class dirt bike to fit. The KLR ain't bad and it's modifiable. -Jim in AZ
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 11:56 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Re: KLR seat height > I have a 30" inseam.... i heard from my MSC instructor that for safety, you > should be able to flatfoot both feet.... > > -Jeff Hughes > > -------Original Message------- > > From: Arden Kysely > Date: Friday, December 05, 2003 01:43:59 PM > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: KLR seat height > > Depends on leg length more than height. I'm a little over 5'8" with a > 31" inseam and I don't have a problem. > > It also depends on how much foot contact you require with the ground. > My feet both touch, but they're far from flat. If you want it lower > you can buy a lower seat, have the stock seat shaved, or get lowering > links. Mine is fine just as it came from the factory. If you tour on > it and add the weight of luggage and gear, it gets a little lower > just when you need it most. > > __Arden > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" wrote: > > Would a person at 5'7" have a real problem riding a KLR650? > > > > -Jeff Hughes > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Arden Kysely

klr seat height

Post by Arden Kysely » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:57 pm

Feet flat is great for new riders and safety instructors preach safety because that's their job, but you soon realize that if you watch where you put your feet down you can get by with less contact with the ground. I've ridden KLRs since 1989 and have only had a couple of scares because my feet wouldn't touch. Then your choices come down to exercising good balance, or falling over. I've done both. If you're not comfortable with the KLR's height, change it or start with something lower and/or lighter. __Arden
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" wrote: > I have a 30" inseam.... i heard from my MSC instructor that for safety, you > should be able to flatfoot both feet.... > > -Jeff Hughes > > -------Original Message------- > > From: Arden Kysely > Date: Friday, December 05, 2003 01:43:59 PM > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: KLR seat height > > Depends on leg length more than height. I'm a little over 5'8" with a > 31" inseam and I don't have a problem. > > It also depends on how much foot contact you require with the ground. > My feet both touch, but they're far from flat. If you want it lower > you can buy a lower seat, have the stock seat shaved, or get lowering > links. Mine is fine just as it came from the factory. If you tour on > it and add the weight of luggage and gear, it gets a little lower > just when you need it most. > > __Arden > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" wrote: > > Would a person at 5'7" have a real problem riding a KLR650? > > > > -Jeff Hughes > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Jim The Canoeist

klr seat height

Post by Jim The Canoeist » Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:24 pm

Yes - certainly there are fit problems for larger-than-average people too. Perhaps this as a solution? ;-] http://www.dcminimoto.com/images/Polini_Minimotard.jpg -Jim in AZ
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris" To: "Jim The Canoeist" Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 2:59 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Re: KLR seat height > Try finding any bike to fit when you're 6'5". Most bikes are for the > little people. Stop whining ;-).