more carb jetting

DSN_KLR650
Murray Dochstader

digest number 4377 klr fork conversion

Post by Murray Dochstader » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:07 am

To: Z, and any other Listers contemplating a Fork Conversion. I finished grafting a set of KLX 250 R (inverted) forks on to my "Baja" KLR yesterday. I bought a '94 250 with a "lunched" engine as a theft recovery for $350.00, removed and rebuilt the forks, replaced the springs with 46 gm. springs from Race Tech, had a shop cut me a couple of bushings, welded a new steering stop on the lower clamp, and re-assembled the whole thing. I used the 250 speedo drive, and the 250 brake set-up (which is marginal) with the KLR master cylinder. I found it to be a very simple swap, made simpler by the fact that parts are readily available from Kawasaki, and, while the new set-up is not state-of-the-art, it transforms the big KLR into a more-than-acceptable double-track bike. If anyone has more questions, feel free to contact me. Murray Dochstader B.C. Canada.

Lujo Bauer

Post by Lujo Bauer » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:21 am

What triple clamps and stem did you use? -Lujo Murray Dochstader wrote:
> To: Z, and any other Listers contemplating a Fork Conversion. > > I finished grafting a set of KLX 250 R (inverted) forks on to my "Baja" KLR > yesterday. I bought a '94 250 with a "lunched" engine as a theft recovery > for $350.00, removed and rebuilt the forks, replaced the springs with 46 gm. > springs from Race Tech, had a shop cut me a couple of bushings, welded a new > steering stop on the lower clamp, and re-assembled the whole thing. > > I used the 250 speedo drive, and the 250 brake set-up (which is marginal) > with the KLR master cylinder. > > I found it to be a very simple swap, made simpler by the fact that parts are > readily available from Kawasaki, and, while the new set-up is not > state-of-the-art, it transforms the big KLR into a more-than-acceptable > double-track bike. > > If anyone has more questions, feel free to contact me. > > Murray Dochstader B.C. Canada. > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Zachariah Mully

Post by Zachariah Mully » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:56 am

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 06:07, Murray Dochstader wrote:
> To: Z, and any other Listers contemplating a Fork Conversion. > > I finished grafting a set of KLX 250 R (inverted) forks on to my "Baja" KLR > yesterday. I bought a '94 250 with a "lunched" engine as a theft recovery > for $350.00, removed and rebuilt the forks, replaced the springs with 46 gm. > springs from Race Tech, had a shop cut me a couple of bushings, welded a new > steering stop on the lower clamp, and re-assembled the whole thing.
The 94 KLX250R front end is exactly the same as the KLX650R front end.
> I used the 250 speedo drive, and the 250 brake set-up (which is marginal) > with the KLR master cylinder.
Replace you rotor, I found the OEM rotor to perform really poorly (and it warped on me), so I replaced it with a cast iron EBC rotor. Stops quite well now.
> I found it to be a very simple swap, made simpler by the fact that parts are > readily available from Kawasaki, and, while the new set-up is not > state-of-the-art, it transforms the big KLR into a more-than-acceptable > double-track bike.
Simple in what way? It's not trivial, and I'm wondering what OEM parts were used to make the swap possible. Z

idahoarchaeologist83704

more carb jetting

Post by idahoarchaeologist83704 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:05 am

I know this subject is like beating a dead horse but... I installed an Super Trapp IDS2 Quiet last night. Just rode it to work today, nice mellow sound, doesn't sound like a VW bus anymore. I also bought the dynojet kit. The bike seems to run fine with six discs and stock carb settings. I am going to turn the fuel screw out a bit and install some of the DJ kit. I am a little leery about drilling out the slide however (cause it can't be changed back to stock). I was thinking about going with the 140 main jet, 3rd groove on the needle. My main interest is cooler running and more low end power for trail/gravel road riding. Of course I don't want the mileage to get too bad but a little decrease is fine. I don't get to go far from home these days anyway (we had a second little girl two weeks ago today). suggestions anyone. Chris