watercooling

DSN_KLR650
Dale Steele

sun/shade tips?

Post by Dale Steele » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:39 pm

I came back over Ebbetts pass late in the day yesterday and fought riding in/out of the sun and shade for much of the way. I'd like to hear how others deal with this as it was hard on my eyes, especially after a day out in the bright sun about 10,000 ft hiking. I found myself riding with one hand when i could to shade my eyes so I could see the road ahead. There's got to be a better solution. I was in dark shade for much of the time too so it doesn't seem a tinted faceshield on my full face helmet would work. Suggestions anyone? Dale p.s.awesome day to be in the high country! A-15 in Stockton __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Zachariah Mully

sun/shade tips?

Post by Zachariah Mully » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:52 pm

Quoting Dale Steele :
> I came back over Ebbetts pass late in the day > yesterday and fought riding in/out of the sun and > shade for much of the way. I'd like to hear how others > deal with this as it was hard on my eyes, especially > after a day out in the bright sun about 10,000 ft > hiking. I found myself riding with one hand when i > could to shade my eyes so I could see the road ahead. > There's got to be a better solution. I was in dark > shade for much of the time too so it doesn't seem a > tinted faceshield on my full face helmet would work. > Suggestions anyone?
Two strips of electrical tape across the top of your faceshield works wonders. And it's a whole sh*tload cheaper than the $16 tint strips the Goldwing and BMW crowds love buying ;) Z DC A5X A12X

George Basinet

sun/shade tips?

Post by George Basinet » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:13 pm

Dale, I put a couple of pieces of black electrician's tape lengthwise across the top edge of my face shield. When the sun is in my face I just drop my head to shield my eyes. George Escondido, CA Dale Steele wrote:
>I came back over Ebbetts pass late in the day >yesterday and fought riding in/out of the sun and >shade for much of the way. I'd like to hear how others >deal with this as it was hard on my eyes, especially >after a day out in the bright sun about 10,000 ft >hiking. I found myself riding with one hand when i >could to shade my eyes so I could see the road ahead. > > >

Alan L Henderson

sun/shade tips?

Post by Alan L Henderson » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:41 pm

>shade for much of the time too so it doesn't seem a >tinted faceshield on my full face helmet would work. >Suggestions anyone? > >Dale >p.s.awesome day to be in the high country! >A-15 in Stockton >
I used the black tape on the face shield trick after I burned the crap out of my face on a long trip into the sun. I just saw a visor advertised that fastens to your face shield. I'll get the info when I run across it again. Alan Henderson A13 Iowa

Thane Silliker

sun/shade tips?

Post by Thane Silliker » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:35 am

Fog City makes a version of their liner that goes to a dark blue in daylight. I have one, but the shade-changing capability went away after 5 months of use. Annoying. I will be calling them to claim on their warranty. It's a great high-tech feature. I just wish it lasted longer. At 09:34 PM 21/09/2003 -0500, Alan L Henderson wrote:
> > >>shade for much of the time too so it doesn't seem a >>tinted faceshield on my full face helmet would work. >>Suggestions anyone?
Happy Trails from London, Canada Thane Silliker, CET, STOC #730 The ST1100 Sport / Grand Touring Motorcycle KLR650 Adventure Touring ST Owners Club Iron Butt Association Canadian Motorcycle Association 2001 Iron Butt Rally Gold Medal Cross Canada Record 59:45 http://www.silliker.ca

Arden Kysely

sun/shade tips?

Post by Arden Kysely » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:48 am

I use a strip of wide blue masking tape, but if you're in the market for a new helmet, consider the Jarow Mono X2, which has a flip-down dark visor. Check it out at www.protecq.com. __Arden --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Dale Steele wrote:
> I came back over Ebbetts pass late in the day > yesterday and fought riding in/out of the sun and > shade for much of the way. I'd like to hear how others > deal with this as it was hard on my eyes, especially > after a day out in the bright sun about 10,000 ft > hiking. I found myself riding with one hand when i > could to shade my eyes so I could see the road ahead. > There's got to be a better solution. I was in dark > shade for much of the time too so it doesn't seem a > tinted faceshield on my full face helmet would work. > Suggestions anyone? > > Dale > p.s.awesome day to be in the high country! > A-15 in Stockton > > __________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Bogdan Swider

sun/shade tips?

Post by Bogdan Swider » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:46 am

> I use a strip of wide blue masking tape, but if you're in the market > for a new helmet, consider the Jarow Mono X2, which has a flip-down > dark visor. Check it out at www.protecq.com. > Arden >
I live at 6,000 ft and often ride 2-4k higher. Also it's mostly clear around these parts. I won't ride with a helmet that doesn't have a visor. My choice is a true dual sport helmet the Nolan N-70; unfortunately I don't believe it's made anymore. I think you can still get the J.C. Whitney copy the Electro 4-in-1 - currently on 4 wk back order. Bogdan

butch278@webtv.net

sun/shade tips?

Post by butch278@webtv.net » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:25 am

I use a product called static shade from Pep Boys automotive store , sure it or the like is available at many auto stores. Comes in 4 x 7 sheet, cut to suit, stick on outside of visor, clings by static adhesion. Has not come off at over 130 on my zx6r. Peel off and re apply as the mood or sun strikes you. Saw it on webbike world as a cheap solution. Maybe two bucks for it and enough left over to give some to friends. Butch (with new dent on tank) A 16 [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

mwl_95623

sun/shade tips?

Post by mwl_95623 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:38 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Dale Steele wrote:
> I came back over Ebbetts pass late in the day > yesterday and fought riding in/out of the sun and > shade for much of the way. I'd like to hear how others > deal with this as it was hard on my eyes, especially > after a day out in the bright sun about 10,000 ft > hiking. I found myself riding with one hand when i > could to shade my eyes so I could see the road ahead. > There's got to be a better solution. I was in dark > shade for much of the time too so it doesn't seem a > tinted faceshield on my full face helmet would work. > Suggestions anyone? > > Dale > p.s.awesome day to be in the high country! > A-15 in Stockton >
Dale, You might want to look into some polarized sunglasses. Matt

Krgrife@aol.com

sun/shade tips?

Post by Krgrife@aol.com » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:54 pm

In a message dated 9/22/03 12:58:08 PM Central Daylight Time, mwl_95623@... writes:
> You might want to look into some polarized sunglasses.
In June I rode down to Cabo San Lucas and back (on a '79 Yamaha XS11), on the return trip I was wearing polarized sunglasses behind my clear face shield. It was highly entertaining watching the asphalt change color from yellow to blue to various shades of purple as I moved my head from side to side. I highly recommend it just for the entertainment value. Kurt Grife [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]