klr650 valve adjust interval and ....

DSN_KLR650
haverkortbrothers

engine shot

Post by haverkortbrothers » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:29 pm

Hey folks, Just a quick little (sad) story. My 01 KLR650 was making a bit of a noise when (and only when) I was in fifth. The RPM's didn't matter. Clutch in or out didn't make a difference. It was only a slight noise, but since I was going away on vacation for two weeks I decided to have my shop look at it. I called them while on vacation after a couple of weeks to see what the deal was, and man, did I get a suprise. They said that the engine was wrecked. They said that it was in such bad shape, they're having a hard time determining what went wrong. They say that they can't even save the engine case! I have about 50,000 km on it, and despite what my friends say, I do regular maintence (oil changes, balancer chain and drive chain adjustments, etc). I've never had a problem with the ole girl before... Any comments? Does this sound like a balancer chain adjuster dohicky gone wrong? Good thing for extended warrently! I should get my bike back in time for the rainy season. Thanks, Tyson

Devon Jarvis

engine shot

Post by Devon Jarvis » Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:26 pm

You drove your bike to the dealer, nothing wrong except a "noise" when shifted into 5th gear, and the dealer says the engine is so shot the cases can't even be saved? My bullsh*t detector just went off. Anyone care to speculate? Devon haverkortbrothers wrote:
>Hey folks, > >Just a quick little (sad) story. My 01 KLR650 was making a bit of a >noise when (and only when) I was in fifth. The RPM's didn't matter. >Clutch in or out didn't make a difference. It was only a slight >noise, but since I was going away on vacation for two weeks I decided >to have my shop look at it. >I called them while on vacation after a couple of weeks to see what >the deal was, and man, did I get a suprise. They said that the >engine was wrecked. They said that it was in such bad shape, they're >having a hard time determining what went wrong. They say that they >can't even save the engine case! I have about 50,000 km on it, and >despite what my friends say, I do regular maintence (oil changes, >balancer chain and drive chain adjustments, etc). I've never had a >problem with the ole girl before... >Any comments? Does this sound like a balancer chain adjuster dohicky >gone wrong? Good thing for extended warrently! I should get my bike >back in time for the rainy season. > > >

klr6501995

engine shot

Post by klr6501995 » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:44 pm

Mighty stinky if you ask me. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "haverkortbrothers" wrote:
> Hey folks, > > Just a quick little (sad) story. My 01 KLR650 was making a bit of
a
> noise when (and only when) I was in fifth. The RPM's didn't
matter.
> Clutch in or out didn't make a difference. It was only a slight > noise, but since I was going away on vacation for two weeks I
decided
> to have my shop look at it. > I called them while on vacation after a couple of weeks to see
what
> the deal was, and man, did I get a suprise. They said that the > engine was wrecked. They said that it was in such bad shape,
they're
> having a hard time determining what went wrong. They say that they > can't even save the engine case! I have about 50,000 km on it, and > despite what my friends say, I do regular maintence (oil changes, > balancer chain and drive chain adjustments, etc). I've never had a > problem with the ole girl before... > Any comments? Does this sound like a balancer chain adjuster
dohicky
> gone wrong? Good thing for extended warrently! I should get my
bike
> back in time for the rainy season. > > Thanks, > Tyson

kdxkawboy@aol.com

engine shot

Post by kdxkawboy@aol.com » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:16 pm

In a message dated 2003-07-22 6:45:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time, vansee@... writes:
> > > Mighty stinky if you ask me. > > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "haverkortbrothers" > wrote: > >Hey folks, > > > >Just a quick little (sad) story. My 01 KLR650 was making a bit of > a > >noise when (and only when) I was in fifth. The RPM's didn't > matter. > >Clutch in or out didn't make a difference. It was only a slight > >noise, but since I was going away on vacation for two weeks I > decided > >to have my shop look at it. > >I called them while on vacation after a couple of weeks to see > what > >the deal was, and man, did I get a suprise. They said that the > >engine was wrecked. They said that it was in such bad shape, > they're > >having a hard time determining what went wrong. They say that they > >can't even save the engine case! I have about 50,000 km on it, and > >despite what my friends say, I do regular maintence (oil changes, > >balancer chain and drive chain adjustments, etc). I've never had a > >problem with the ole girl before... > >Any comments? Does this sound like a balancer chain adjuster > dohicky > >gone wrong? Good thing for extended warrently! I should get my > bike > >back in time for the rainy season. > > > >Thanks, > >Tyson > >
If the engine is shot I would expect they should be able to show why the crank is gone or why the cam shaft/bearing surfaces are shot. The KLR head/cams have to bought as a single unit because the bearing surfaces for the cam are built into the head being machined to match the actual manufacturing tolerances on the cams being used. While it may sound odd, from the POV of manufacturing costs it is cheaper than trying to use traditional clam shell bearings. Those are about the only mechanical things I know of that could be so shot as to total an engine but still let you ride into the dealership. Pat G'ville, Nv [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

xs650@dejazzd.com

engine shot

Post by xs650@dejazzd.com » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:35 pm

Speculate? Like someone at the dealership needed a KLR engine, and was taking advantage of an extended warranty to cover their need? I would have to see this to actually beleive it. Eric in Pa
> > From: Devon Jarvis > Date: 2003/07/22 Tue PM 08:18:35 EDT > To: KLR650 group DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Engine shot > > You drove your bike to the dealer, nothing wrong except a "noise" when > shifted into 5th gear, and the dealer says the engine is so shot the > cases can't even be saved? > > My bullsh*t detector just went off. Anyone care to speculate? > > > Devon > > haverkortbrothers wrote: > > >Hey folks, > > > >Just a quick little (sad) story. My 01 KLR650 was making a bit of a > >noise when (and only when) I was in fifth. The RPM's didn't matter. > >Clutch in or out didn't make a difference. It was only a slight > >noise, but since I was going away on vacation for two weeks I decided > >to have my shop look at it. > >I called them while on vacation after a couple of weeks to see what > >the deal was, and man, did I get a suprise. They said that the > >engine was wrecked. They said that it was in such bad shape, they're > >having a hard time determining what went wrong. They say that they > >can't even save the engine case! I have about 50,000 km on it, and > >despite what my friends say, I do regular maintence (oil changes, > >balancer chain and drive chain adjustments, etc). I've never had a > >problem with the ole girl before... > >Any comments? Does this sound like a balancer chain adjuster dohicky > >gone wrong? Good thing for extended warrently! I should get my bike > >back in time for the rainy season. > > > > > > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

engine shot

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:48 pm

>They said that the > engine was wrecked. They said that it was in such bad shape,
they're
> having a hard time determining what went wrong. They say that they > can't even save the engine case!
Well, the engine may well have been "shot", although I don't know anything which wrecks the engine so badly that the cases are ruined without you noticing any noise or loss in performance. But my guess is that if they rebuild that sucka without touching the tranny, it'll still be making noise in 5th gear when you get it back. Paul A16 01 M750D

dooden

engine shot

Post by dooden » Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:37 am

And since the ext warr. covers such failures, the dealer makes flat rate for rebuilding and KHI pays for it. Good and bad, if they rebuild it good, you get a fresh motor, the dealer rakes some flat time money from KHI, if they rebuild it bad, they still get the money, you get a POS back, but at least if it fails again it might be covered down the road since the dealer rebuilt it. "having a hard time determining what went wrong" DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "haverkortbrothers" wrote:
> Hey folks, > > Just a quick little (sad) story. My 01 KLR650 was making a bit of a > noise when (and only when) I was in fifth. The RPM's didn't matter. > Clutch in or out didn't make a difference. It was only a slight > noise, but since I was going away on vacation for two weeks I decided > to have my shop look at it. > I called them while on vacation after a couple of weeks to see what > the deal was, and man, did I get a suprise. They said that the > engine was wrecked. They said that it was in such bad shape, they're > having a hard time determining what went wrong. They say that they > can't even save the engine case! I have about 50,000 km on it, and > despite what my friends say, I do regular maintence (oil changes, > balancer chain and drive chain adjustments, etc). I've never had a > problem with the ole girl before... > Any comments? Does this sound like a balancer chain adjuster dohicky > gone wrong? Good thing for extended warrently! I should get my bike > back in time for the rainy season. > > Thanks, > Tyson

don_detloff

engine shot

Post by don_detloff » Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:45 am

Sounds like the shop wants to milk KHI for a big warranty bill. This is also a common practice with ouboard motors. Don Detloff
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Devon Jarvis wrote: > You drove your bike to the dealer, nothing wrong except a "noise" when > shifted into 5th gear, and the dealer says the engine is so shot the > cases can't even be saved? > > My bullsh*t detector just went off. Anyone care to speculate? > > > Devon >

xs650@dejazzd.com

engine shot

Post by xs650@dejazzd.com » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:28 am

Dooden, He said that even the CASES weren't useable. You can't rebuild without cases, and I agree with Devon, sounds like massive quantities of BS. Eric in Pa
> > From: "Dooden" > Date: 2003/07/23 Wed AM 05:37:40 EDT > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Engine shot > > And since the ext warr. covers such failures, the dealer makes flat > rate for rebuilding and KHI pays for it. > > Good and bad, if they rebuild it good, you get a fresh motor, the > dealer rakes some flat time money from KHI, if they rebuild it bad, > they still get the money, you get a POS back, but at least if it fails > again it might be covered down the road since the dealer rebuilt it. > > "having a hard time determining what went wrong" > Sounds more than a "slight" noise to me, but its possible something > small went and it cascaded around and took out more stuff. > > Dooden > A15 Green Ape > > Hope they hurry and get it right for your sake. > > > > --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "haverkortbrothers" > wrote: > > Hey folks, > > > > Just a quick little (sad) story. My 01 KLR650 was making a bit of a > > noise when (and only when) I was in fifth. The RPM's didn't matter. > > Clutch in or out didn't make a difference. It was only a slight > > noise, but since I was going away on vacation for two weeks I decided > > to have my shop look at it. > > I called them while on vacation after a couple of weeks to see what > > the deal was, and man, did I get a suprise. They said that the > > engine was wrecked. They said that it was in such bad shape, they're > > having a hard time determining what went wrong. They say that they > > can't even save the engine case! I have about 50,000 km on it, and > > despite what my friends say, I do regular maintence (oil changes, > > balancer chain and drive chain adjustments, etc). I've never had a > > problem with the ole girl before... > > Any comments? Does this sound like a balancer chain adjuster dohicky > > gone wrong? Good thing for extended warrently! I should get my bike > > back in time for the rainy season. > > > > Thanks, > > Tyson > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

zrod73026

engine shot

Post by zrod73026 » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:26 am

If the motor is that bad, maybe they will give you a crate motor from the factory. I think it would be nice of the dealer to tell the factory that the motor was a Pile, so they could provide youi a brand new one and not a cobbled rebuild months later. Good Luck, Rod --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "haverkortbrothers" wrote:
> Hey folks, > > Just a quick little (sad) story. My 01 KLR650 was making a bit of
a
> noise when (and only when) I was in fifth. The RPM's didn't
matter.
> Clutch in or out didn't make a difference. It was only a slight > noise, but since I was going away on vacation for two weeks I
decided
> to have my shop look at it. > I called them while on vacation after a couple of weeks to see
what
> the deal was, and man, did I get a suprise. They said that the > engine was wrecked. They said that it was in such bad shape,
they're
> having a hard time determining what went wrong. They say that they > can't even save the engine case! I have about 50,000 km on it, and > despite what my friends say, I do regular maintence (oil changes, > balancer chain and drive chain adjustments, etc). I've never had a > problem with the ole girl before... > Any comments? Does this sound like a balancer chain adjuster
dohicky
> gone wrong? Good thing for extended warrently! I should get my
bike
> back in time for the rainy season. > > Thanks, > Tyson