nklr - paypal users watch for this scam

DSN_KLR650
Ira Agins

front/rear tire pressures

Post by Ira Agins » Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:22 pm

In looking over Elden Carl's Multisurface Moto Web pages, I noticed the following statement regarding tire pressures, refering to MT21's in this case: "For street use 26PSI front and 22 PSI rear. For dirt use with rim locks, use 17 PSI front and 14 PSI rear (don't try this without rimlocks)." Since I'm much more experienced in street ridimg where one tends to have more pressure in the rear tire than the front, I find this curious. Is this a typo, or do folks actually run more pressure in the front tire than the rear? Cheers! Ira Agins Santa Fe, NM A16

Devon Jarvis

Post by Devon Jarvis » Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:36 pm

Ira Agins wrote:
> > In looking over Elden Carl's Multisurface Moto Web pages, I noticed > the following statement regarding tire pressures, refering to MT21's > in this case: > > "For street use 26PSI front and 22 PSI rear. For dirt use with rim > locks, use 17 PSI front and 14 PSI rear (don't try this without > rimlocks)." >
That's Elden's opinion. I have no problems with tire slippage with low pressures, and I don't use rimlocks. I use 14 front and 17 rear. Devon -- "It's a troublesome world, all the people who are in it, are troubled with troubles almost every minute" Dr. Seuss

Ira Agins

Post by Ira Agins » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:01 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Devon Jarvis wrote:
> Ira Agins wrote: > > > > In looking over Elden Carl's Multisurface Moto Web pages, I
noticed
> > the following statement regarding tire pressures, refering to
MT21's
> > in this case: > > > > "For street use 26PSI front and 22 PSI rear. For dirt use with rim > > locks, use 17 PSI front and 14 PSI rear (don't try this without > > rimlocks)." > > > > That's Elden's opinion. I have no problems with tire > slippage with low pressures, and I don't use rimlocks. I use > 14 front and 17 rear.
It's not the pressures themselves I question. It's running the front tire at a lower pressure than the rear. Cheers! Ira Agins Santa Fe, NM A16

Devon Jarvis

Post by Devon Jarvis » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:07 pm

Ira Agins wrote:
> > > "For street use 26PSI front and 22 PSI rear. For dirt use with rim > > > locks, use 17 PSI front and 14 PSI rear (don't try this without > > > rimlocks)." > > > > > > > That's Elden's opinion. I have no problems with tire > > slippage with low pressures, and I don't use rimlocks. I use > > 14 front and 17 rear. > > It's not the pressures themselves I question. It's running the front > tire at a lower pressure than the rear. >
Yes, it seems strange to me too. Either it's a typo or it works well for him. I always thought that you ran more pressure in the rear tire because the drivetrain torque heated it up more than the front. Devon -- "It's a troublesome world, all the people who are in it, are troubled with troubles almost every minute" Dr. Seuss

Tony Holt

nklr - paypal users watch for this scam

Post by Tony Holt » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:17 pm

> > > Arden Kysely wrote: > > > > For those of you with PayPal accounts out there, here's some info
on
> > a new type of internet scam using a fake PayPal email and web
site.
> > > > __Arden > > > > A new Web site spoofs the PayPal online payment site and attempts
to
> > trick PayPal customers into divulging sensitive account and
billing
> > information. The fake Web site is the latest example in what
security
> > experts say is a rising trend of "brand spoofing" scams. > > > > PayPal customers are directed to the site, www.paypal- > > billingnetwork.net, by an e-mail message that appears to come from > > the Mountain View, Calif., company.
> > One easy way to make sure you are going to the correct site, > is to manually type in the address every time. www.ups.com > paypal.com ebay.com etc it's an easy way to avoid the > problems. > Devon
Also secure sites start with https.not just http. Tony Tengai Dorset UK

dumbazz650

Post by dumbazz650 » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:10 pm

> > > Ira Agins wrote: > > > > > "For street use 26PSI front and 22 PSI rear. For dirt use
with rim
> > > > locks, use 17 PSI front and 14 PSI rear (don't try this
without
> > > > rimlocks)." > > > > > > > > > > That's Elden's opinion. I have no problems with tire > > > slippage with low pressures, and I don't use rimlocks. I use > > > 14 front and 17 rear. > > > > It's not the pressures themselves I question. It's running the
front
> > tire at a lower pressure than the rear. > > > > Yes, it seems strange to me too. Either it's a typo or it > works well for him. > > I always thought that you ran more pressure in the rear tire > because the drivetrain torque heated it up more than the > front. > > Devon > >
I understood the concept as being that because the tire is wider, it can support the same load at a lower pressure than the front. But obviously it needs to carry a greater load, not the same load. Eldon is also NOT a fan of using the KLR as a cargo beast. So those of you with 600lbs of rider and gear should use a little more tire pressure than what's recommended. Mark A9, A3