corbin swap?

DSN_KLR650
Tad Gralewski

question - reg/rect and spark coil

Post by Tad Gralewski » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:53 pm

Quick question to the list. Has anyone here experienced a catastrophic failure of either the regulator/rectifier or the spark coil on a KLR650? We're gearing up for a big trip to Alaska and want to make sure we have all the bases covered. I searched the archives and see no discussion on either of these items. I have recently heard of someone having a relay (radiator fan to be specific) go bad on them. Any other "don't forget about this" suggestions would be appreciated. Just curious, and thanks in advance. Tad

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:10 pm

> Quick question to the list. Has anyone here experienced a > catastrophic failure of either the regulator/rectifier or the spark > coil on a KLR650? >
Haven't heard of one.
> I have recently heard of someone having a relay (radiator fan to be > specific) go bad on them. >
There may be other instances that I missed but I think the most recent radiator fan problem that was posted was a false alarm. Ron thought he had a problem with the switch; it turned out that he simply didn't get the bike hot enough. You only need the fan for slow going. On a long highway trip you won't need it. In the past others -including myself -have thought the relay was shot but the problem turned out to be something else - often the fuse.
> Any other "don't forget about this" > suggestions would be appreciated. >
Do the doohickey upgrade.
> Just curious, and thanks in advance. > > Tad >
Sure, Bogdan

Bogdan Swider

Post by Bogdan Swider » Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:29 pm

> Any other "don't forget about this" > suggestions would be appreciated. > > Just curious, and thanks in advance. > > Tad >
I'll also advise a simple mod that could save you some trouble. You'll be travelling on many miles of gravel roads - I'm told. Cut a piece of Plexiglas the size of your headlight lens. Adhere it to the lens with four of those little Velcro squares that have adhesive surfaces on both sides. It'll protect an expense item. Bogdan

jon.sykes@ps.ge.com

corbin swap?

Post by jon.sykes@ps.ge.com » Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:51 pm

Will swap my dished Corbin seat (KLR650) for the other kind of Corbin, or a stock saddle plus $. Dished Corbin is too low for me and makes the riding position uncomfortable after a while (I'm 6.0' and 34" inseam). Good condition, black with green pinstriping.