running reds in tennesee and red light sensor's

DSN_KLR650
Tom Rothoehler

temperature gauge

Post by Tom Rothoehler » Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:17 pm

I've been riding my new KLR around for the last couple of weeks and am slowly getting used to all the new sounds and quirks of the bike (the ear seems to be the best doctor for my bike). I was wondering about the temp. gauge as it fluctuates quite a bit. Its 2-10c here (35-50F) and when I'm driving on highways or over say 60-80kmh the gauge barely registers, but if I'm driving around in the city, the needle comes up to a little over the center. Is this normal? Looks like either the rad is doing an awesome job or there is something whacked with the thermostat. thanks in advance, Tom. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Robert Diaz

temperature gauge

Post by Robert Diaz » Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:54 pm

That is normal, stop and go driving will cause the temp to be higher. When you are on the freeway the bike is opened up and will always run cooler. I've had my A15 for about a year now and noticed the same thing and thought that something was wrong with my bike, but I have been repeatedly reassured that that is normal. Cheers! Rob D A15 '83 GPZ '00 Indian Chief '93 Heritage Softail --- Tom Rothoehler wrote:
> I've been riding my new KLR around for the last > couple of weeks and am > slowly getting used to all the new sounds and quirks > of the bike (the ear > seems to be the best doctor for my bike). I was > wondering about the temp. > gauge as it fluctuates quite a bit. Its 2-10c here > (35-50F) and when I'm > driving on highways or over say 60-80kmh the gauge > barely registers, but if > I'm driving around in the city, the needle comes up > to a little over the > center. Is this normal? Looks like either the rad > is doing an awesome job > or there is something whacked with the thermostat. > > thanks in advance, > > Tom. > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been > removed] > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Try FREE Yahoo! Mail - the world's greatest free email! http://mail.yahoo.com/

Matthew

temperature gauge

Post by Matthew » Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:01 pm

all normal! thats how the temps go on em all. --- Tom Rothoehler wrote:
> I've been riding my new KLR around for the last > couple of weeks and am > slowly getting used to all the new sounds and quirks > of the bike (the ear > seems to be the best doctor for my bike). I was > wondering about the temp. > gauge as it fluctuates quite a bit. Its 2-10c here > (35-50F) and when I'm > driving on highways or over say 60-80kmh the gauge > barely registers, but if > I'm driving around in the city, the needle comes up > to a little over the > center. Is this normal? Looks like either the rad > is doing an awesome job > or there is something whacked with the thermostat. > > thanks in advance, > > Tom. > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been > removed] > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
===== Matthew A14 Tucson AZ ----------------------------------------------------------- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. john 3:16 __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Try FREE Yahoo! Mail - the world's greatest free email! http://mail.yahoo.com/

Bogdan Swider

temperature gauge

Post by Bogdan Swider » Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:33 am

> I've been riding my new KLR around for the last couple of weeks and am > slowly getting used to all the new sounds and quirks of the bike (the ear > seems to be the best doctor for my bike). I was wondering about the temp. > gauge as it fluctuates quite a bit. Its 2-10c here (35-50F) and when I'm > driving on highways or over say 60-80kmh the gauge barely registers, but > if > I'm driving around in the city, the needle comes up to a little over the > center. Is this normal? Looks like either the rad is doing an awesome > job > or there is something whacked with the thermostat. > > thanks in advance, > > Tom. >
The gauges vary. Yours acts about like mine has for the 40k miles I've ridden the bike. Bogdan

John Lyon

temperature gauge

Post by John Lyon » Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:36 am

Tom: Sounds about normal to me. In the same temps on the highway my guage is at reading about 1/4. City traffic at similar temps is exactly as you describe for my bike. John --- Tom Rothoehler wrote:
> I've been riding my new KLR around for the last > couple of weeks and am > slowly getting used to all the new sounds and quirks > of the bike (the ear > seems to be the best doctor for my bike). I was > wondering about the temp. > gauge as it fluctuates quite a bit. Its 2-10c here > (35-50F) and when I'm > driving on highways or over say 60-80kmh the gauge > barely registers, but if > I'm driving around in the city, the needle comes up > to a little over the > center. Is this normal? Looks like either the rad > is doing an awesome job > or there is something whacked with the thermostat. > > thanks in advance, > > Tom.
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Try FREE Yahoo! Mail - the world's greatest free email! http://mail.yahoo.com/

philipnoyb

temperature gauge

Post by philipnoyb » Wed Mar 06, 2002 4:24 pm

I asked the same question when I bought my A15. It's normal.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Tom Rothoehler wrote: > I've been riding my new KLR around for the last couple of weeks and am > slowly getting used to all the new sounds and quirks of the bike (the ear > seems to be the best doctor for my bike). I was wondering about the temp. > gauge as it fluctuates quite a bit. Its 2-10c here (35-50F) and when I'm > driving on highways or over say 60-80kmh the gauge barely registers, but if > I'm driving around in the city, the needle comes up to a little over the > center. Is this normal? Looks like either the rad is doing an awesome job > or there is something whacked with the thermostat. > > thanks in advance, > > Tom. > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

philipnoyb

temperature gauge

Post by philipnoyb » Wed Mar 06, 2002 4:24 pm

I asked the same question when I bought my A15. It's normal.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Tom Rothoehler wrote: > I've been riding my new KLR around for the last couple of weeks and am > slowly getting used to all the new sounds and quirks of the bike (the ear > seems to be the best doctor for my bike). I was wondering about the temp. > gauge as it fluctuates quite a bit. Its 2-10c here (35-50F) and when I'm > driving on highways or over say 60-80kmh the gauge barely registers, but if > I'm driving around in the city, the needle comes up to a little over the > center. Is this normal? Looks like either the rad is doing an awesome job > or there is something whacked with the thermostat. > > thanks in advance, > > Tom. > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Ted Palmer

temperature gauge

Post by Ted Palmer » Thu Mar 07, 2002 6:43 am

Tom Rothoehler wrote: [...]
> I was wondering about the temp. > gauge as it fluctuates quite a bit. Its 2-10c here (35-50F) and when I'm > driving on highways or over say 60-80kmh the gauge barely registers,
Sounds suspect to me. The thermostat should keep the temp up, that is why it is there.
> but if > I'm driving around in the city, the needle comes up to a little over the > center. Is this normal?
That part sounds ok. FWIW, my KLR600 (with much more radiator area) tends to run around 3/8 on the gauge around town. Even it hot weather is doesn't go up much and it takes a lot of idling to get the fan to come on, but I have a much bigger reserve of cool water. I have found at highway cruise in cold weather, the bike runs closer to the middle line than it does in hot weather. IMO, this is how is should be, but it seems that in the experience of the 650 riders here, there is a difference. The last time the temperature fluctuated a lot, the imbecile dealer servicing ensured there was not enough coolant in the system. Mister_T Melbourne Australia

xs650@dejazzd.com

temperature gauge

Post by xs650@dejazzd.com » Wed May 28, 2003 12:51 pm

Someone mentioned a while back that when fitting KLR600 instruments to a 650 that a 3.4 ohm resistor is required to make the temp gauge work properly. With this bit of info I connected (3) 10 ohm resistors in parallel(3.333 ohm yield) and added M/F connectors and tried it. I saw no difference on my gauge. I removed a resistor(now 5 ohms) and still no improvement, and the same with just a single 10 ohm. By connecting a pair in series (20 ohms) I noticed the fan came on right at the lower edge of the "red zone". For me this is much better than having the needle pegged to the right. FWIW Eric in Pa

Dave Watkins

temperature gauge

Post by Dave Watkins » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:30 pm

FTGWN, Here's a copy of my original post concerning the temp gauge on a 1985 instrument cluster reading high on a 1995 KLR. No mention of a KLR 600 was made as you can see. Hope this helps...... SNIP......................................... FTGWN, Well yesterday "The Prodigal Son", a 1995 KLR650, left home for good. As some of you may recall the original instrument cluster had been replaced with one off a parted out 85 model. The result was that the temp gauge always pinned over to the hot side within a couple of minutes regardless of the weather. I added a 3.4 Ohm resistor inline at the temperature sending unit and this brought the gauge back into normal range. Kawasaki's part number is 28018-1052. Cost was about $4.00 Canadian or about 20 cents for you "Southerners". While any resistor will do the trick this one was prewired with bayonet connectors at each end and also had been "heat shrunk". I just added it to the existing sensor lead at the sensor and added more heat shrink over the whole thing. SNIP.............................................. Cheers, Dave Watkins 1998 KLR650 "He who has no name" Calgary, Alberta Canada Voice: 1.403.701.5746 Fax: 1.403.266.0626 Email: dave@... WWW: http://www.davewatkins.net DISCLAIMERS ARE FOR LAWYERS I SAID IT, I MEANT IT, I STAND BEHIND IT
----- Original Message ----- From: To: dsn_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 11:42 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] temperature gauge > Someone mentioned a while back that when fitting KLR600 instruments to a 650 that a 3.4 ohm resistor is required to make the temp gauge work properly. With this bit of info I connected (3) 10 ohm resistors in parallel(3.333 ohm yield) and added M/F connectors and tried it. I saw no difference on my gauge. I removed a resistor(now 5 ohms) and still no improvement, and the same with just a single 10 ohm. By connecting a pair in series (20 ohms) I noticed the fan came on right at the lower edge of the "red zone". For me this is much better than having the needle pegged to the right. FWIW > Eric in Pa > > > > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >