any room at the inn?

DSN_KLR650
Devon Jarvis

hesitation and backfires ad nauseum.....

Post by Devon Jarvis » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:46 am

Last night I packed around the choke fitting on the carb with an adhesive putty, to seal it. Made no difference with the hesitation, and the burble on the overrun. This morning I started the bike then shut off the choke too early, and sprayed the intake boot and choke fitting with WD-40. No change in the idle. I've had bikes backfire due to exhaust leaks in the past, it never affected the throttle response. So I'm still looking for an intake or carb leak- but I have to say I'm stumped. I was given some very good advice a while ago by an old-timer mechanic, that "most problems with the carburetor are ignition". Tobin just made the suggestion of changing the spark plug boot- it has a resistor inside, and apparently he's seen a couple bikes with similar symptoms get fixed by replacing the plug boot. I can't think of anything else at this point. Devon -- "It's a troublesome world, all the people who are in it, are troubled with troubles almost every minute" Dr. Seuss

Tumu Rock

Post by Tumu Rock » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:26 am

Devon, I've got a spare spark plug boot (the elbow piece....spark plug cap?) if you want to try that. I bought it to try to fix my stalling in the rain problem but it's a no go, so the boot I took off is probably just fine. dat brooklyn bum
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Devon Jarvis wrote: > Last night I packed around the choke fitting on the carb > with an adhesive putty, to seal it. Made no difference with > the hesitation, and the burble on the overrun. > > This morning I started the bike then shut off the choke too > early, and sprayed the intake boot and choke fitting with > WD-40. No change in the idle. > > I've had bikes backfire due to exhaust leaks in the past, it > never affected the throttle response. So I'm still looking > for an intake or carb leak- but I have to say I'm stumped. > > I was given some very good advice a while ago by an > old-timer mechanic, that "most problems with the carburetor > are ignition". Tobin just made the suggestion of changing > the spark plug boot- it has a resistor inside, and > apparently he's seen a couple bikes with similar symptoms > get fixed by replacing the plug boot. I can't think of > anything else at this point. > > Devon > > -- > "It's a troublesome world, > all the people who are in it, > are troubled with troubles > almost every minute" > > Dr. Seuss

Dan Bittner

Post by Dan Bittner » Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:53 am

----- Original Message ----- From: "Devon Jarvis" To: "KLR650 group" DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 6:47 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] hesitation and backfires ad nauseum..... > Last night I packed around the choke fitting on the carb > with an adhesive putty, to seal it. Made no difference with > the hesitation, and the burble on the overrun. Devon, I noticed from your original post that your 1 3/4 turns out on the pilot screw, which according to my service manual is the factory setting. Isn't one of the first things most people due, even if the bike is bone stock, is to turn out the pilot screw from the factory setting to cure the very problems that your describing? Valve clearances are ok right ? I'm sure your aware that one to tight will cause the same problems. What worked best for me on pilot screw adjustment was to make adjustments while riding after the bike was TRULY up to operating temp. I made index marks on the bottom of carb when the pilot screw was in the seated position so I wouldn't lose track of where it was and made on the road adjustments using one of those small telescoping mirrors so I see my marks and the pilot screw and a adjusting tool made out of an appropriately sized cap screw that I dremmeled a screw driver end on, carry these two items in my riding jacket at all times, as there very small. Started out with a base setting of 2 1/2 out, ended up at 3 1/8 out, but my bike isn't stock either. Still averaging 48 mpg with aggressive riding. Good luck, Dan Bittner Sacramento, Ca.

Devon Jarvis

Post by Devon Jarvis » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:11 am

My bike came set 3/4 turn out. I reset it to 1 1/2 turns out which cleared up the lean surging I was having. When I reinstalled a stock carb I set it to 1 3/4 turn. In the process of troubleshooting this, I have tried 2 turns out and 2 1/2 turns out. It reduced, but didn't eliminate the hesitation and backfiring. I'm sure it's either something stupid I've overlooked, or something I just haven't though of. For all I know, the carb I'm using (Tumu has my original carb at the moment since he needed it last-minute for the Alcan) had the seat for the pilot screw machined .5mm too deep and it's just starting out too lean. But the weird thing is the bike idles very well, no "hunting" idle. Only when you slowly open the throttle 1/8 and the carb starts to get on the main circuit does it hesitate. Originally I thought some of the transfer ports on the pilot circuit were clogged, but I've used every way I know to clean them and no difference. Thanks Devon Dan Bittner wrote:
> > Devon, > I noticed from your original post that your 1 3/4 turns out on the pilot > screw, which according to my service manual is the factory setting.

Dan Bittner

Post by Dan Bittner » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:45 am

----- Original Message ----- From: "Devon Jarvis" To: "Dan Bittner" ; "KLR650 group" DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 8:13 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] hesitation and backfires ad nauseum.... Devon, Doesn't sound like you've missed anything to me, if the carb's an unknown, unfortunately it may just be worn out. Check out this site, www.factorypro.com/products/jets.html , particularly the section mid way down on slide, needle and emulsion tube wear, these guys are pretty sharp. Carbs are not only a compremise, they're a pain in the butt too. Dan Bittner Sacramento, Ca. Devon wrote > In the process of troubleshooting this, I have tried 2 turns > out and 2 1/2 turns out. It reduced, but didn't eliminate > the hesitation and backfiring. > > > Thanks > Devon > > Dan Bittner wrote: > > > > Devon, > > I noticed from your original post that your 1 3/4 turns out on the pilot > > screw, which according to my service manual is the factory setting. > >

Dan Bittner

Post by Dan Bittner » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:31 am

----- Original Message ----- From: "Devon Jarvis" To: "Dan Bittner" Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 9:04 AM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] hesitation and backfires ad nauseum..... Devon, Not always. You've seen race cars going into turns off throttle with those pretty flames coming out of the exhaust. That's unburned fuel accumulated in the exhaust system being fired off. And yes I feel your pain. Let us know how the ignition work goes. Float level is good, yes? Last post, worked 12 hours last night, going to bed. Good Luck, Dan Bittner Devon wrote, > Besides a worn needle or needle jet leaves > the bike with a rich hesitation, and that would cover the > backfiring not cause it. > > Devon > > -- > "It's a troublesome world, > all the people who are in it, > are troubled with troubles > almost every minute" > > Dr. Seuss > >

Devon Jarvis

Post by Devon Jarvis » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:40 am

True, but since putting on the choke while I ride makes the problem go away, I'm banking on too lean. I'm very close to refitting the 38mm Mikuni I was using before. Or having Tumu swap carbs with me to see if the problem is replicated on his bike. Devon Dan Bittner wrote:
> > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Devon Jarvis" > To: "Dan Bittner" > Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 9:04 AM > Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] hesitation and backfires ad nauseum..... > > Devon, > > Not always. You've seen race cars going into turns off throttle with those > pretty flames coming out of the exhaust. That's unburned fuel accumulated in > the exhaust system being fired off. And yes I feel your pain. Let us know > how the ignition work goes. Float level is good, yes? Last post, worked 12 > hours last night, going to bed. > > Good Luck, > Dan Bittner > > Devon wrote, > > > Besides a worn needle or needle jet leaves > > the bike with a rich hesitation, and that would cover the > > backfiring not cause it. > > > > Devon > > > > -- > > "It's a troublesome world, > > all the people who are in it, > > are troubled with troubles > > almost every minute" > > > > Dr. Seuss > > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
-- "It's a troublesome world, all the people who are in it, are troubled with troubles almost every minute" Dr. Seuss

zrod73026

Post by zrod73026 » Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:37 pm

Could someone close go swap carbs with Devon? He's got troubleshooting blindness and I've got a headache tryin to figure it out. Sure hope I don't have this problem cuz he's forgot more than I'll ever know! That's what he told me anyway. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!! Devon, have you got a cobbled carb? Start over with your troubleshooting! I ain't sayin it again! We all need a kick in the head from time to time! Hell, I'm starting to enjoy it!
--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Devon Jarvis wrote: > True, but since putting on the choke while I ride makes the > problem go away, I'm banking on too lean. > > I'm very close to refitting the 38mm Mikuni I was using > before. Or having Tumu swap carbs with me to see if the > problem is replicated on his bike. > > Devon > > Dan Bittner wrote: > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Devon Jarvis" > > To: "Dan Bittner" > > Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 9:04 AM > > Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] hesitation and backfires ad nauseum..... > > > > Devon, > > > > Not always. You've seen race cars going into turns off throttle with those > > pretty flames coming out of the exhaust. That's unburned fuel accumulated in > > the exhaust system being fired off. And yes I feel your pain. Let us know > > how the ignition work goes. Float level is good, yes? Last post, worked 12 > > hours last night, going to bed. > > > > Good Luck, > > Dan Bittner > > > > Devon wrote, > > > > > Besides a worn needle or needle jet leaves > > > the bike with a rich hesitation, and that would cover the > > > backfiring not cause it. > > > > > > Devon > > > > > > -- > > > "It's a troublesome world, > > > all the people who are in it, > > > are troubled with troubles > > > almost every minute" > > > > > > Dr. Seuss > > > > > > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > -- > "It's a troublesome world, > all the people who are in it, > are troubled with troubles > almost every minute" > > Dr. Seuss

Devon Jarvis

Post by Devon Jarvis » Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:50 pm

Swapping carbs is the last option, if only because the bike runs decently (but not as well as it did when I last used the stock carb) and I am so F*!king tired of pulling the carb out. I'm going to swap out the spark plug cap and see if that changes anything. Then I'm going to park the bike and start drinking. Devon zrod73026 wrote:
> > Could someone close go swap carbs with Devon?

david gay

Post by david gay » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:00 pm

Devon, I don't know if your using a KLX needle or putting washers under the stock one, but I mechanic that I learned a lot from while growing up said he would not put the clip on the top or bottom position, because it could cause a hesitation. He would install the next size richer or leaner main, and stay in the middle part of the needle adjustment. I just went up to a 155 main, after another 5mm washer under the stock needle didn't get rid of the last of the lean/surge that came back after drilling my airbox. Seems to have done the trick. Dave A12 Devon Jarvis wrote:Swapping carbs is the last option, if only because the bike runs decently (but not as well as it did when I last used the stock carb) and I am so F*!king tired of pulling the carb out. I'm going to swap out the spark plug cap and see if that changes anything. Then I'm going to park the bike and start drinking. Devon zrod73026 wrote:
> > Could someone close go swap carbs with Devon?
List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]