help replacing oe exhaust

DSN_KLR650
sim_n_o

gas tank mod

Post by sim_n_o » Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:41 am

This question goes out to those having performed the cross over MOD. I did this mod , it worked out well except for one small problem. I didn't have to switch to reserve til I hit 317mi. The problem is that there was no reserve. After switching to reserve it ran about 1/2 mi. Has anyone else had this happen and is there a solution besides switching back to factory setup? Joe S.

Harry Thames

gas tank mod

Post by Harry Thames » Sat Jun 01, 2002 11:35 am

I usually get around three miles after switching to reserve. If you want more reserve fuel run on the reserve setting (sucking fuel from the left side) when the left side goes dry at 260 miles, switch to the right side for another gallon of fuel. I carry spare gas when on trips. Harry SC

Joseph Simoneaux

gas tank mod

Post by Joseph Simoneaux » Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:54 pm

Harry, thanks. I'll try that. You offered the suggestion of removing the fuel filter when I had the initial "High Speed Stalling" problem. That did help at the time, I think because the rust was cloging it. I did put a filter(copper core or what ever that is)on the crossover. Did you put one of these on the crossover line or just the original screen? I ride with several friends on cruisers. Its fun to watch them fuel up three times to my one.LOL Lastly, do you attend any of the dual sport rides here on the east coast? If so what are some of the better ones? Joe simoneaux
On Sat, 01 Jun 2002 12:33:33 -0400 Harry Thames wrote: I usually get around three miles after switching to reserve. If you want more reserve fuel run on the reserve setting (sucking fuel from the left side) when the left side goes dry at 260 miles, switch to the right side for another gallon of fuel. I carry spare gas when on trips. Harry SC Checkout Dual Sport News at http://www.dualsportnews.com Be part of the Adventure! Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

cactus_reese

gas tank mod

Post by cactus_reese » Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:28 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Joseph Simoneaux wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Jun 2002 12:33:33 -0400 Harry Thames
wrote:
> > I usually get around three miles after switching to reserve. If
you want
> more reserve fuel run on the reserve setting (sucking fuel from
the left
> side) when the left side goes dry at 260 miles, switch to the
right side for
> another gallon of fuel. > I carry spare gas when on trips. > > Harry > SC >
Harry, If you are only getting 3 miles on reserve, I believe something is wrong. I had this problem when I installed a fuel filter. Someone else on the list posted the fix. Here's what worked for me. The little bronze element cone fuel filter must be as close to the petcock as possible. The line from the filter to the carb should go in as direct a path as possible without dipping down below the carb fuel inlet. Clamp the inlet and outlet line connections to the filter with zipties to keep air out. Now you should get 30+ miles on reserve without having to lean it over. -Bryan

gas tank mod

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:49 pm

Has anyone done a gas tank mod like the one listed at: http://www.bigcee.com/fuelmod.html ? Did it work as described? Thanks Rick

Fred Hink

gas tank mod

Post by Fred Hink » Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:44 pm

Bogdan would be the one to ask. He and Skip were doing this mod at one of the Canyonlands Motor Classic's a few years ago. Bogdan was searching frantically for all the victims (I mean volunteers) he could find to do this modification. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com
----- Original Message ----- From: To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 11:30 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Gas Tank Mod > Has anyone done a gas tank mod like the one listed at: > http://www.bigcee.com/fuelmod.html ? > > Did it work as described? > > Thanks > > Rick

Bogdan Swider

gas tank mod

Post by Bogdan Swider » Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:18 pm

> Bogdan would be the one to ask. He and Skip were doing this mod at one > of > the Canyonlands Motor Classic's a few years ago. Bogdan was searching > frantically for all the victims (I mean volunteers) he could find to do > this > modification. > > Fred > http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com > >
The victim was me. I was convinced that this mod would be the answer to my prayers; I hated the fact that we have a half gallon of unusable gas. But....I ended up removing mine. You guys have read how a fuel filter can mess up the klr's delicate gas tank to carb relationship. Well image the suck it takes to pull gas through that tube. It will exacerbate any fuel problems you might have. I didn't attach mine with a magnet. So I'd get fuel starvation when the thing bounced around. I believe that could happen even with a magnet if you were riding on a bumpy surface. Now I just lay the bike down to access the gas in the tanks black hole. Bogdan

Harry Thames

gas tank mod

Post by Harry Thames » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:14 pm

I've still got the right side pick in my tank but I have had lots of disappointments while using it. I've tried seven different inline filters; none would flow fuel at high rpm with less than three gallons of gas in the tank. Its great being able to go close to 300 miles before switching to reserve but I can only get eight to ten miles out of the reserve now. On cross country rides I always carry a spare gas can. When riding with other KLRs that don't have the mod we have to stop early for gas so I don't benefit from the mod then. Loaning gas to GoldWings that try to go the same distance as my KLR is worth the trouble of the mod. Harry SC

J. Simoneaux

gas tank mod

Post by J. Simoneaux » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:05 pm

I have had the gas tank mod in place for close to a year now. It works very well on my bike. I have an inline filter(bronze cone style). My only complaint is that its sometimes difficult to remember how aggressively or sedately I rode 240ish miles ago. As a result I've run out of gas several times with such a small reserve(couple of miles). I range from 250-270 miles on a tank. I used a lead weight to keep my fuel pickup in the bottom of the right side of the tank. Have the folks that use the mod placed a tube on the reserve pickup as well, to get the last few OZs out of the left side? I've taken to carring a large mouth plastic bottle ~16oz full of fuel with me for times that I might be far between filling stations. Much better that pushing, especially with hard bags. they tend to beat up the inside calf.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Harry Thames" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 5:14 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Gas Tank Mod > I've still got the right side pick in my tank but I have had lots of > disappointments while using it. I've tried seven different inline filters; > none would flow fuel at high rpm with less than three gallons of gas in the > tank. Its great being able to go close to 300 miles before switching to > reserve but I can only get eight to ten miles out of the reserve now. On > cross country rides I always carry a spare gas can. When riding with other > KLRs that don't have the mod we have to stop early for gas so I don't > benefit from the mod then. Loaning gas to GoldWings that try to go the same > distance as my KLR is worth the trouble of the mod. > > Harry > SC > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

ronnie lyons

gas tank mod

Post by ronnie lyons » Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:48 am

Didn't see this on the FAQ's. Someone mentioned the name of a lister who modified his gas tank to make both sides useable, instead of just the side with the petcock. Any ideas? Thanks! Ronnie --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Tax Center - File online, calculators, forms, and more [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]