new technology meets the old....

DSN_KLR650
Zachariah Mully

pre-3.0 joe rocket ballistic jackets?

Post by Zachariah Mully » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:24 am

Hey all- I've found a whole bunch of JR Ballistic jackets on sale for $49, but they're the pre-3.0 (or older) version of the jacket. http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_e5eee75907acd97049211274aba078fc/i-1.JPG Are these versions any better or worse than the 3.0 or 4.0 versions of the jacket? Any glaring design flaws? I did have a 3.0 jacket, but I've since given it to my father, so I'm looking for a cheap replacement for my upcoming March TAT trip. I have a choice of wearing either my MotoPort Ultra II, my MSR Gold Medal jacket w/MX armor, or picking up another cheap jacket like the Ballistic... I'd rather not wear my MotoPort as it's too nice for offroading and is more restrictive in the arms than my other two choices, but it is extremely waterproof and warm though, something I might value on a 2,000 mile motorcycle trip in March. My MSR GM jacket is cut for enduro riding and for wearing MX gear under, but it's not the most waterproof of jackets. I'm going to try soaking it with Camp-Dry this weekend, but it's only a Cordura shell and only partially coated (it's listed as "water-resistent"). It'd be the best choice if I knew the whole trip was going to be serious off-road, but my impression is that we'll be doing a lot of backroads. The Ballistic that I had was a pretty good comprimise, it seemed to be pretty warm, and if I treated it (as many recommend) I am sure it'd be pretty waterproof as well. And I wouldn't mind getting it all screwed up out on the trail. But I no longer have it, so is the older model a suitable substitute and worth $50+shipping? Thanks, Z DC A5X A11X

imperial-4776@webtv.net

Post by imperial-4776@webtv.net » Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:54 pm

Don't hold out on us ... where did ya find the jackets at ? Dave

Zachariah Mully

Post by Zachariah Mully » Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:59 pm

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 16:54, imperial-4776@... wrote:
> Don't hold out on us ... where did ya find the jackets at ? > > Dave
You gotta tell me first if they're good or not, so's I can be sure to get one before anyone else ;) Z DC A5X A11X

KJ

Post by KJ » Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:17 pm

Try this ;) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2405551895&ca tegory=6750 Karl A14 on 3/4/03 5:59 PM, Zachariah Mully at zmully@... wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 16:54, imperial-4776@... wrote: >> Don't hold out on us ... where did ya find the jackets at ? >> >> Dave > > You gotta tell me first if they're good or not, so's I can be sure to > get one before anyone else ;) > > Z > DC > A5X > A11X > >

Zachariah Mully

Post by Zachariah Mully » Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:18 pm

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 17:02, Dave wrote:
> well to be honest I have no idea if there any good ... they look good > and well worth the $50, so long as they come in other colors other than > barney purple. > > I'd buy one .... if I had the URL > > dave >
Well, I just bought one, $60 shipped for a new (old) JR Ballistic isn't bad, even if the only color in my size was purple ;) Search ebay for the seller "gomotoshop" or seach for "Joe Rocket Ballistic Jacket". He's got a ton of sizes with Buy It Now prices of $49+$10s/h, though it does look like most are purple. Z DC A5X A11X

Zachariah Mully

Post by Zachariah Mully » Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:21 pm

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 17:17, Zachariah Mully wrote:
> Well, I just bought one, $60 shipped for a new (old) JR Ballistic isn't > bad, even if the only color in my size was purple ;) >
Damn... I paypal'ed them at 5:14pm EST and got email at 5:17pm saying they'd processed my order and it'd ship tomorrow. w00t! Z DC A5X A11X

dooden

Post by dooden » Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:52 am

Hey "Z" they got lots of streets named after you in Washington... Called "One Way" Oh wait... your from... Nevermind.. ;-) That was the jacket that kinda looked like a Expedition jacket right ? Dont worry.. im way to cheap to spend money one. Dooden the Cheapskate.. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Zachariah Mully wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 16:54, imperial-4776@w... wrote: > > Don't hold out on us ... where did ya find the jackets at ? > > > > Dave > > You gotta tell me first if they're good or not, so's I can be sure
to
> get one before anyone else ;) > > Z > DC > A5X > A11X

Zachariah Mully

new technology meets the old....

Post by Zachariah Mully » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:56 pm

Quoting ceb :
> When I saw the pic of Z's bike, I couldn't believe it. A KLR dirtier than > mine. Although, mine does look to have a better seat and a bigger gas tank. > BEAN
Fortunately, that wasn't my bike, it was Tumu's first KLR, the one that got stolen... It had definitely seen better days. Also heard better days, the SuperTrapp on that bike was within an inch of it's life, I think the only thing holding it on Tumu's bike and in one piece was a combination of rust and mud. Hellishly loud. Just the way Tumu likes it ;) Z DC A5X A12X

Allan Patton

Post by Allan Patton » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:56 pm

Did you get your Joe Rocket yet? I took your suggestion and ordered one. Came today. I wouldn't call it "barney purple", think that would be a light shade. This is dark purple, more like "K-State purple". Should match the green bike real well. It's a nice jacket. However, it's tight around my big belly. 5'10 270 lb. Ordered a XL because that is what I wear in the Tourmaster. The Joe Rocket sleeve length is about the same. It's just tighter around the belly, and is a little shorter in length. The pockets on the Tourmaster are better. What I like better about the Joe Rocket is the snaps on the flap over the zipper rather than the Velcro and a larger reflective strip on the back. Still, for sixty bucks, it's hard to beat. Allan A14
----- Original Message ----- From: "Zachariah Mully" To: "Dave" Cc: "KLR List" DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 4:21 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Re: Pre-3.0 Joe Rocket Ballistic jackets? > On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 17:17, Zachariah Mully wrote: > > > Well, I just bought one, $60 shipped for a new (old) JR Ballistic isn't > > bad, even if the only color in my size was purple ;) > > > > Damn... I paypal'ed them at 5:14pm EST and got email at 5:17pm saying > they'd processed my order and it'd ship tomorrow. w00t! > > Z > DC > A5X > A11X > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Zachariah Mully

Post by Zachariah Mully » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:04 pm

Quoting Allan Patton :
> Did you get your Joe Rocket yet? I took your suggestion and ordered one. > Came today. > >
Yup, got mine today as well. Actually quite pleased with it, though I agree the XL is a little smaller in this Ballistic than it is in the Ballistic 3.0 jacket. It's a very simply cut jacket with absolutely none of the crap that JR puts on their jackets now... Which surpised me, I always figured that JR started making horrendously ugly jackets, but apparantly they've been working on it. The fabric seems to be heavier than the 3.0 jacket as well. Anyhow, mine fits pretty well, only complaint is that the sleeves are a little tight around my massive biceps ;) But for $60, it was a steal. I scotchguarded the hell outta it tonight. I hope it dries by tomorrow... Z DC A5X A12X