last call, copyright question...

DSN_KLR650
thehowofnow

visibility and safety

Post by thehowofnow » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:03 am

Years ago I was on my bike in Albuquerque, NM, sitting at a traffic light minding my own business and waiting for the light to change. Just as the light changed, a car flashed passed me in the lane to my right. I rode on to the next light and a car pulled up next to me and a guy said, "You have NO idea how close you came to getting killed back there. That woman was speeding in YOUR lane and at the last second pulled over to the right lane and shot on through the intersection." Yikes. I was close to being road kill and didn't have a clue. After doing some research on statistics regarding motorcycle accidents, it seems a really important precaution is to err on the side of making sure the bike and rider are as visibile as possible. To that end, I spray painted my stock KLR handguards blaze orange. (Hey, it's already ugly in the very best sense of the word, what could this hurt?) I could tell the difference immediately. I'm noticed from the head on almost as much as when I wear my blaze orange hunting jacket. I've been wondering what the best products are to increase visibility, and have a question at the end of this ramble. It seems like this is a cheap investment when compared to the potential consequences of not being seen. The more obvious options seem to be: Reflective jacket, like the Aerostich Hi-Vis material Orange or hi-vis helmet (relective material?) Brighter headlamp Adding running lights Flashing brake light Extra brake light Reflective material Two questions. 1. What is the best reflective material out there and 2. What has anyone else done to increase the chances that somnabulent, lethargic, spaced out, heavy-lidded sleep-deprived, sloth and torpored, tranced out drivers notice you? Than

gpokluda

visibility and safety

Post by gpokluda » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:16 am

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "thehowofnow "
> I've been wondering what the best products are to increase
visibility,
> and have a question at the end of this ramble. It seems like this
is
> a cheap investment when compared to the potential consequences of
not
> being seen.
Your first mistake was riding a motorcycle in New Mexico ;o) I've sold a number of yellow helmets to riders who want to be conspicuous as well as bright colored jackets. reflective vests work well also. ALwasy be aware of your surroundings (especially the rear view) and keep your bike in gear at stop lights, so you can pop out of the way of you have to. My experience is that no matter what you do to be seen, cagers will still not see you. Gino, who lives in New Mexico with enchanted drivers.

Judson D. Jones

visibility and safety

Post by Judson D. Jones » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:30 am

Timely question. The current MCN has an article on not getting rearended. My friends tell me my hi-viz orange Daystar fork boots really stand out. They do relieve the monotony of dark teal blue with black accerssories. The fashion police have been increasing their overflights, however. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "thehowofnow " wrote:
> Years ago I was on my bike in Albuquerque, NM, sitting at a
traffic
> light minding my own business and waiting for the light to
change.
> Just as the light changed, a car flashed passed me in the lane
to my
> right. I rode on to the next light and a car pulled up next to me
and
> a guy said, "You have NO idea how close you came to getting
killed
> back there. That woman was speeding in YOUR lane and at
the last
> second pulled over to the right lane and shot on through the > intersection." Yikes. I was close to being road kill and didn't
have
> a clue. > > After doing some research on statistics regarding motorcycle > accidents, it seems a really important precaution is to err on
the
> side of making sure the bike and rider are as visibile as
possible.
> To that end, I spray painted my stock KLR handguards blaze
orange.
> (Hey, it's already ugly in the very best sense of the word, what
could
> this hurt?) I could tell the difference immediately. I'm noticed
from
> the head on almost as much as when I wear my blaze orange
hunting
> jacket. > > I've been wondering what the best products are to increase
visibility,
> and have a question at the end of this ramble. It seems like
this is
> a cheap investment when compared to the potential
consequences of not
> being seen. > > The more obvious options seem to be: > > Reflective jacket, like the Aerostich Hi-Vis material > Orange or hi-vis helmet (relective material?) > Brighter headlamp > Adding running lights > Flashing brake light > Extra brake light > > Reflective material > > > Two questions. > > 1. What is the best reflective material out there and > > 2. What has anyone else done to increase the chances that > somnabulent, lethargic, spaced out, heavy-lidded
sleep-deprived, sloth
> and torpored, tranced out drivers notice you? > > > Than

Tony Sansom

visibility and safety

Post by Tony Sansom » Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:38 am

In principle, I agree with the idea of making ourselves as visible as possible. However, a number of points on the subject: I have spent a lot of money on safety riding equipment already. Do I really need to make myself and my bike look ridiculous in order not be harmed by the careless? Where do we draw the line? We are all equally responsible for looking out for each other, whatever kind of vehicle we use. By making ourselves more visible, aren't we making others lazier? How useful is hi-viz when somebody piles into the car behind you (stationary) and pushes it into you (stationary), as happened to me last year? Am I being too idealistic or are we all kinda missing the point? I'd be interested in people's responses. Tony
----- Original Message ----- From: mailto:Judson D. Jones DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 4:30 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Visibility and safety Timely question. The current MCN has an article on not getting rearended. My friends tell me my hi-viz orange Daystar fork boots really stand out. They do relieve the monotony of dark teal blue with black accerssories. The fashion police have been increasing their overflights, however. --- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "thehowofnow " wrote: > Years ago I was on my bike in Albuquerque, NM, sitting at a traffic > light minding my own business and waiting for the light to change. > Just as the light changed, a car flashed passed me in the lane to my > right. I rode on to the next light and a car pulled up next to me and > a guy said, "You have NO idea how close you came to getting killed > back there. That woman was speeding in YOUR lane and at the last > second pulled over to the right lane and shot on through the > intersection." Yikes. I was close to being road kill and didn't have > a clue. > > After doing some research on statistics regarding motorcycle > accidents, it seems a really important precaution is to err on the > side of making sure the bike and rider are as visibile as possible. > To that end, I spray painted my stock KLR handguards blaze orange. > (Hey, it's already ugly in the very best sense of the word, what could > this hurt?) I could tell the difference immediately. I'm noticed from > the head on almost as much as when I wear my blaze orange hunting > jacket. > > I've been wondering what the best products are to increase visibility, > and have a question at the end of this ramble. It seems like this is > a cheap investment when compared to the potential consequences of not > being seen. > > The more obvious options seem to be: > > Reflective jacket, like the Aerostich Hi-Vis material > Orange or hi-vis helmet (relective material?) > Brighter headlamp > Adding running lights > Flashing brake light > Extra brake light > > Reflective material > > > Two questions. > > 1. What is the best reflective material out there and > > 2. What has anyone else done to increase the chances that > somnabulent, lethargic, spaced out, heavy-lidded sleep-deprived, sloth > and torpored, tranced out drivers notice you? > > > Than List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

kcuf_oohay_666

visibility and safety

Post by kcuf_oohay_666 » Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:11 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, "thehowofnow " wrote:
> > > Two questions. > > 1. What is the best reflective material out there and > > 2. What has anyone else done to increase the chances that > somnabulent, lethargic, spaced out, heavy-lidded sleep-deprived,
sloth
> and torpored, tranced out drivers notice you? > > > Than
I found that Lime Green reflector tape made by 3M is the most noticable. I a friend of mine said he couldn't see my bike but could see this green glow from several miles away floating in space then as I came clser he noticed it was me.

Devon Jarvis

visibility and safety

Post by Devon Jarvis » Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:11 pm

This is why I filter to the front of traffic lights nearly all the time. I've seen enough rear-end accident just as you describe, that I would rather risk a ticket than a hospital trip. Sometimes, riding the lane line is actually safer. Devon A15 Tony Sansom wrote:
> > How useful is hi-viz when somebody piles into the car behind you (stationary) and pushes it into you (stationary), as happened to me last year? > > Am I being too idealistic or are we all kinda missing the point? I'd be interested in people's responses. > > Tony

KJ

visibility and safety

Post by KJ » Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:32 pm

I suggest a seebak vest. http://www.seebak.com/cyl-710.htm I think people really notice me more with the vest on. I have yet to try it on the bike, but while in the grocery store I get a lot more looks than before;) Seriously, while riding in Manhattan traffic day or night the vest really helps, I notice more people spot me and seem to make eye contact, not that prevents anyone from stepping right out in front of you or cutting you off, but at least they can't honestly say they didn't see you. The other benefit is that while lane splitting on the bridges more people pull over a bit to make room, figure the white helmet and vest make me look like a cop or something. I also just finished a 120 LED taillight conversion for the stock housing , basically a rectangular PCB with 120 red superbright LEDs installed on it. I don't have many miles on it yet so I'm waiting to report on it in detail. But it appears to be brighter than the stock brake light from all angles and much brighter looking straight on to the LEDs. A modulator is the next step. while sitting at traffic lights I try and blink the brake light on and off to help the cages see me. This is what I like about LEDs is the instant on effect they have it grabs your attention better than the slower blink cycle of incandescent bulbs. Karl A14 on 1/19/03 11:03 AM, thehowofnow at thehowofnow@... wrote:
> Years ago I was on my bike in Albuquerque, NM, sitting at a traffic > light minding my own business and waiting for the light to change. > Just as the light changed, a car flashed passed me in the lane to my > right. I rode on to the next light and a car pulled up next to me and > a guy said, "You have NO idea how close you came to getting killed > back there. That woman was speeding in YOUR lane and at the last > second pulled over to the right lane and shot on through the > intersection." Yikes. I was close to being road kill and didn't have > a clue. > > After doing some research on statistics regarding motorcycle > accidents, it seems a really important precaution is to err on the > side of making sure the bike and rider are as visibile as possible. > To that end, I spray painted my stock KLR handguards blaze orange. > (Hey, it's already ugly in the very best sense of the word, what could > this hurt?) I could tell the difference immediately. I'm noticed from > the head on almost as much as when I wear my blaze orange hunting > jacket. > > I've been wondering what the best products are to increase visibility, > and have a question at the end of this ramble. It seems like this is > a cheap investment when compared to the potential consequences of not > being seen. > > The more obvious options seem to be: > > Reflective jacket, like the Aerostich Hi-Vis material > Orange or hi-vis helmet (relective material?) > Brighter headlamp > Adding running lights > Flashing brake light > Extra brake light > > Reflective material > > > Two questions. > > 1. What is the best reflective material out there and > > 2. What has anyone else done to increase the chances that > somnabulent, lethargic, spaced out, heavy-lidded sleep-deprived, sloth > and torpored, tranced out drivers notice you? > > > Than > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy > of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

KJ

visibility and safety

Post by KJ » Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:00 pm

So true, It's harder to get rear ended if you keep moving forward, I try not to just sit at the end of a line of stopped cars. It is harder for someone to hit you when you are stopped between the cars at traffic lights. I had some guy start yelling at me for filtering my way through stopped traffic in midtown NYC, apparently I got to close to his oh so sweet black BMW sedan. This guy was really pissed off, he was screaming that the light was red and where did I think I was going to go. Just to front of the line I said to myself. He obviously didn't appreciate that I had be filtering all the way across the city and that wasn't the only red light I had come to that evening. Karl A14 on 1/19/03 3:10 PM, Devon Jarvis at jarvisd@... wrote:
> This is why I filter to the front of traffic lights nearly all the time. I've > seen enough rear-end accident just as you describe, that I would rather risk a > ticket than a hospital trip. > > Sometimes, riding the lane line is actually safer. > > Devon > A15 > > Tony Sansom wrote: > >> >> How useful is hi-viz when somebody piles into the car behind you (stationary) >> and pushes it into you (stationary), as happened to me last year? >> >> Am I being too idealistic or are we all kinda missing the point? I'd be >> interested in people's responses. >> >> Tony > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy > of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >

Cloyce D. Spradling

visibility and safety

Post by Cloyce D. Spradling » Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:15 pm

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 05:04:35PM -0000, Tony Sansom wrote: : I have spent a lot of money on safety riding equipment already. Do I really need to make myself and my bike look ridiculous in order not be harmed by the careless? Where do we draw the line? I'd rather look stupid than dead. I ride because it's fun, not because it makes me look cool. : We are all equally responsible for looking out for each other, whatever kind of vehicle we use. By making ourselves more visible, aren't we making others lazier? The others are already lazy. If you don't make yourself more visible, you could become a victim of that laziness. Yes, they should be more responsible, but they're not. : How useful is hi-viz when somebody piles into the car behind you (stationary) and pushes it into you (stationary), as happened to me last year? Not useful at all, but it's pretty unrelated. How useful is your helmet when you're not crashing? :) Anyway, I don't feel comfortable until I have two or three cars behind me. That's probably not enough, but like you said, you have to draw the line somewhere, right? : Am I being too idealistic or are we all kinda missing the point? I'd be interested in people's responses. Personal responsibility is a great idea, just like communism. But people just aren't wired properly to make them work. -- Cloyce A13 in Austin

KLR Rider

visibility and safety

Post by KLR Rider » Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:22 pm

Thanks Karl - for further working to piss off the public about bikes. Seems so frustrating to those of us trying to build a better image. You are doing something illegal (in most states). Good riding safety at stop lights (or whenever stopped behind another vehicle) means you keep an escape route visible and watch as traffic is approaching. Not only the car behind you but also the one behind that one, etc. Keep the bike in gear and ready to 'jump' if you have to. Sorry to be so sarcastic, but I analogize your actions right up there with loud pipes arguments. And just to answer some of the guaranteed to follow flames, we participate in an unsafe activity. Justifying breaking the law because it "is safer" doesn't cut it. If you want to be "safer", drive a cage. -Scott
----- Original Message ----- From: "KJ" > So true, It's harder to get rear ended if you keep moving forward, I try not > > I had some guy start yelling at me for filtering my way through stopped > traffic in midtown NYC, apparently I got to close to his oh so sweet black > BMW sedan. This guy was really pissed off, > Karl