high altitude operation?

DSN_KLR650
killer650@attbi.com

help! (solved!) next problem...

Post by killer650@attbi.com » Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:38 pm

Well, perhaps we all know why my KLR lugs at low speed. The intake valves are out of spec. The smallest gauge I have is .127mm, but it cannot fit under either intake lobe. Also, one of the exhaust valves is out of spec @ < .152mm, and the other is at the low end of the range @ .152. Sooo...where do I go from here? The shim calcs I have seen require a "current" gap to work. Since I cannot get anything under the intakes I don't know where to start.

Fred Hink

Post by Fred Hink » Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:46 pm

You will have to remove the shims that are out of spec to see what you have now to be able to tell you what you need to get your clearance in spec. Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com
----- Original Message ----- From: To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 4:01 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] HELP! (SOLVED!) Next problem... > Well, perhaps we all know why my KLR lugs at low speed. The intake valves are > out of spec. The smallest gauge I have is .127mm, but it cannot fit under > either intake lobe. Also, one of the exhaust valves is out of spec @ and the other is at the low end of the range @ .152. > > Sooo...where do I go from here? The shim calcs I have seen require a "current" > gap to work. Since I cannot get anything under the intakes I don't know where > to start. > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > >

rm@richardmay.net

Post by rm@richardmay.net » Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:13 pm

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 killer650@... wrote:
>Well, perhaps we all know why my KLR lugs at low speed. The intake valves >are out of spec. The smallest gauge I have is .127mm, but it cannot fit >under either intake lobe. Also, one of the exhaust valves is out of spec >@ < .152mm, and the other is at the low end of the range @ .152.
Assume that the intake clearances are zero, and go down four shim sizes. That's a good starting point... RM

Tengai Mark Van Horn

Post by Tengai Mark Van Horn » Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:07 pm

At 8:13 PM -0500 1/19/2003, rm@... wrote:
>On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 killer650@... wrote: > >>Well, perhaps we all know why my KLR lugs at low speed. The intake valves >>are out of spec. The smallest gauge I have is .127mm, but it cannot fit >>under either intake lobe. Also, one of the exhaust valves is out of spec >>@ < .152mm, and the other is at the low end of the range @ .152. > >Assume that the intake clearances are zero, and go down four shim sizes. >That's a good starting point...
Better yet, go to Sears or Walmart and pick up a freakin' feeler gauge set so you can tell where things really are. Mark B2 A2 A3

killer650@attbi.com

Post by killer650@attbi.com » Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:22 pm

I removed all the shims. Bad news is that the one that I measured at :) Dave
> You will have to remove the shims that are out of spec to see what you have > now to be able to tell you what you need to get your clearance in spec. > > Fred > http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 4:01 PM > Subject: [DSN_klr650] HELP! (SOLVED!) Next problem... > > > > Well, perhaps we all know why my KLR lugs at low speed. The intake valves > are > > out of spec. The smallest gauge I have is .127mm, but it cannot fit under > > either intake lobe. Also, one of the exhaust valves is out of spec @ ..152mm, > > and the other is at the low end of the range @ .152. > > > > Sooo...where do I go from here? The shim calcs I have seen require a > "current" > > gap to work. Since I cannot get anything under the intakes I don't know > where > > to start. > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > > > >

RM

Post by RM » Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:32 pm

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 killer650@... wrote:
>So by the best of my math, I need 2 2.50 shims. I'll call my local dealer >for my raping in the morning. If they don't have it Fred is my next call.
Take the old shim to the dealer. Most parts counters seem to have a micrometer handy.

killer650@attbi.com

Post by killer650@attbi.com » Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:41 pm

I did (Sears), it was too big (.127 min). I got another at Autozone and it did the trick. Fred has now added a nice one to his site, I will take the Sears one back and get Fred's with my next order. Besides, zero clearance is zero clearance. The cam lobe was resting on the shim at TDC. Fred, make sure that feeler set has a .000mm one... ;) Dave
> At 8:13 PM -0500 1/19/2003, rm@... wrote: > >On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 killer650@... wrote: > > > >>Well, perhaps we all know why my KLR lugs at low speed. The intake valves > >>are out of spec. The smallest gauge I have is .127mm, but it cannot fit > >>under either intake lobe. Also, one of the exhaust valves is out of spec > >>@ < .152mm, and the other is at the low end of the range @ .152. > > > >Assume that the intake clearances are zero, and go down four shim sizes. > >That's a good starting point... > > Better yet, go to Sears or Walmart and pick up a freakin' feeler > gauge set so you can tell where things really are. > Mark > B2 > A2 > A3

RM

Post by RM » Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:44 pm

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 killer650@... wrote:
>Besides, zero clearance is zero clearance. The cam lobe was resting on >the shim at TDC. Fred, make sure that feeler set has a .000mm one... ;)
I just e-mailed you a .000" feeler. Print it out and get to work!

Fred Hink

Post by Fred Hink » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:09 pm

Each shim size is marked in .05mm increments which is just about .002". The only shims that are available from aftermarket are marked in .05mm but I have seen some that came out of new engines that were marked in .025mm from Kawasaki. I don't think they are even available to be purchased from Kawasaki. Why you need to be that precise is beyond me. You have .004" to play with to be in spec so that should equal two shim sizes. Set your clearances towards the loose side since most all KLRs clearances will tighten with age. (no comments about old ladies boobs please) ;-) Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com
----- Original Message ----- From: To: "Fred Hink" Cc: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 7:11 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] HELP! (SOLVED!) Next problem... > I removed all the shims. Bad news is that the one that I measured at no indicator on it at all. Probably wore off. Based on my caliper measurements, > I am guessing it is a 260 as a 265 measures .105 and this one measures ..104. Is > one or two THOUSANDTHS of an inch really going to make a difference? I figure > it is better to err on the loose side. > > So by the best of my math, I need 2 2.50 shims. I'll call my local dealer for > my raping in the morning. If they don't have it Fred is my next call. > > Damn this bike is fun! :) > Dave > > You will have to remove the shims that are out of spec to see what you have > > now to be able to tell you what you need to get your clearance in spec. > > > > Fred > > http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: > > To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> > > Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 4:01 PM > > Subject: [DSN_klr650] HELP! (SOLVED!) Next problem... > > > > > > > Well, perhaps we all know why my KLR lugs at low speed. The intake valves > > are > > > out of spec. The smallest gauge I have is .127mm, but it cannot fit under > > > either intake lobe. Also, one of the exhaust valves is out of spec @ > ..152mm, > > > and the other is at the low end of the range @ .152. > > > > > > Sooo...where do I go from here? The shim calcs I have seen require a > > "current" > > > gap to work. Since I cannot get anything under the intakes I don't know > > where > > > to start. > > > > > > List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ > > courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html > > > Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: > > > DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . > > > > > > > > > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Judson D. Jones

Post by Judson D. Jones » Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:12 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Tengai Mark Van Horn wrote:
> > Better yet, go to Sears or Walmart and pick up a freakin' feeler > gauge set so you can tell where things really are.
No feeler gauge will fit if the valve isn't closing. You just have to go down enough on shim size so that your clearance will fall into range. If I remember right, five sizes should get you to .010 if you are at zero, while four sizes should put you right in range. When I did mine recently, I only had the shims to go down 4 sizes on one very tight exhaust valve, and I ended up right at a loose .006, so I'm going to have to order a couple of shims and check them again fairly soon.