nklr watch out for greeting cards

DSN_KLR650
Chris Krok

nklr smog

Post by Chris Krok » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:56 am

> The Los Angeles area was know to the Indians before the westerners got > there as "The Valley Of 10,000 Smokes.
Actually, that's in Alaska. But that doesn't make the litter problem any less... I've seen people here open their car door at an intersection, and dump out a McDonald's bag. When I was in college, I worked in a NY state park over the summers. I was stopped behind a woman turning out of a parking area, when she rolled down the window and threw out a cigarette wrapper. So I dropped the truck into 4-low and pushed her into the intersection. Chevy's word against Volvo's. :) Krokko -- Dr. J. Christopher Krok John Lucas Adaptive Wind Tunnel Caltech MS 205-45, Pasadena, CA 91125

James L. Miller Jr.

nklr smog

Post by James L. Miller Jr. » Tue Oct 22, 2002 11:28 am

Back in my smoking days, I used to be very careful on where I put my butts. I'd field strip it (you military guys know what I'm talking about) and put it in a pocket. I hated to see people throw their butts out the window, especially lit ones. I'd roll up beside them, making sure I'd have my smoke close to the butt, motion for them to roll down the window. When they did roll down the window, I'd flick my butt in their car, yelling "hey, I think you dropped this at the last intersection". Made for some frantic movements when they figured out what I'd thrown. Just my way of making friends. millerized smoke free for almost 15 years, drink free for just under a year.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Chris Krok wrote: > > > The Los Angeles area was know to the Indians before the westerners got > > there as "The Valley Of 10,000 Smokes. > > Actually, that's in Alaska. But that doesn't make the litter problem > any less... I've seen people here open their car door at an > intersection, and dump out a McDonald's bag. When I was in college, I > worked in a NY state park over the summers. I was stopped behind a > woman turning out of a parking area, when she rolled down the window and > threw out a cigarette wrapper. So I dropped the truck into 4-low and > pushed her into the intersection. Chevy's word against Volvo's. :) > > Krokko > > -- > Dr. J. Christopher Krok > John Lucas Adaptive Wind Tunnel > Caltech MS 205-45, Pasadena, CA 91125

Chris Krok

nklr smog

Post by Chris Krok » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:04 pm

> From: "J. Sherlock" > Subject: NKLR: California Smog BS > They are also planning on outlawing SUV's, yet I have seen nothing about > whom gets to decide what the definition of a SUV will be.
Probably the same person who decides what an "assault weapon" is.
> Have to be careful and keep your eyes and ears open because CARB > (California Air Resources Board) are the biggest eco fascist group in > existence.
Yep... They seem to know a lot about pollution and physiology, but absolutely nothing about automotive technology, manufacture, or market forces. Their attitude is, "We'll just come up with a standard, and they'll have to meet it." They also keep tightening the emissions levels on older cars, which weren't even designed to run the smog tests we have today (in So Cal, at least). A member of our RX-7 club called to ask them about that, and they said, "We can reduce the allowable emissions as much as we want until it matches the level when the car was new." Right. So, CARB is going to buy all of us new cars when it becomes impossible to make an old car meet the standard? Krokko -- Dr. J. Christopher Krok John Lucas Adaptive Wind Tunnel Caltech MS 205-45, Pasadena, CA 91125

RM

nklr smog

Post by RM » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:36 pm

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Chris Krok wrote:
>forces. Their attitude is, "We'll just come up with a standard, and >they'll have to meet it."
It gets worse. The mfr's often get told HOW to meet the standard as well. Chevron cooked up a non-oxygenated gasoline that meets all current standards yet the CARB wasn't interested. Can you say "Archer Daniels Midland?" RM

Judson D. Jones

nklr smog

Post by Judson D. Jones » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:46 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, RM wrote:
> Can you say "Archer Daniels Midland?"
Yeah. Up here in corn country, it's worth it to cross the river to Wisconsin and pay a nickel more per gallon to get a tank of gas that isn't full of grain alcohol.

RM

nklr smog

Post by RM » Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:57 pm

>>Can you say "Archer Daniels Midland?" >Who is Archer Daniels Midland? (it's ringin' a bell, but a pretty small >bell...) I suppose I could google it.
Shell, BP, Exxon, Mobil, Arco is "big oil." ADM is "big alcohol." RM PS. Stu, I did *not* say "big alcoholic!"

RM

nklr smog

Post by RM » Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:00 pm

>would you be referring to this? >http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa241es.html
Among others, yes.

Chris Krok

nklr smog

Post by Chris Krok » Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:04 pm

> >forces. Their attitude is, "We'll just come up with a standard, and > >they'll have to meet it." > > It gets worse. The mfr's often get told HOW to meet the standard as well. > Chevron cooked up a non-oxygenated gasoline that meets all current > standards yet the CARB wasn't interested.
Ah, just like the reason the AMA was fighting with the EPA over motorcycle standards.
> Can you say "Archer Daniels Midland?"
OK, "Archer Daniels Midland." Who is Archer Daniels Midland? (it's ringin' a bell, but a pretty small bell...) I suppose I could google it. Krokko -- Dr. J. Christopher Krok John Lucas Adaptive Wind Tunnel Caltech MS 205-45, Pasadena, CA 91125

Chris Krok

nklr smog

Post by Chris Krok » Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:05 pm

> Can you say "Archer Daniels Midland?" > > RM
would you be referring to this? http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa241es.html Krokko -- Dr. J. Christopher Krok John Lucas Adaptive Wind Tunnel Caltech MS 205-45, Pasadena, CA 91125

Bogdan Swider

nklr smog

Post by Bogdan Swider » Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:27 am

> Who is Archer Daniels Midland? (it's ringin' a bell, but a pretty small > bell...) I suppose I could google it. > > Krokko > >
Wasn't he the character in All in the Family played by Carroll O' Conner ? Bogdan