grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrribbit

DSN_KLR650
Ingo Lahnemann

doohickey source?

Post by Ingo Lahnemann » Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:53 am

Hello Listers... I'm not trying to start trouble, but I do have a question... Is there another source for an after market doohickey? In light of all the talk about failures, I've jumped on the crest of the wave and decided to replace my doohickey this winter. While assembling the required tools, materials, etc. I was told by a respected vendor that there were alternatives to the Sagebrush machine doohickey that do not require special fitting (filing) and were readily available. Has anyone had any experience with doohickey's manufactured by "other" vendors? Thanks to Devon and Mark for their hard work documenting this replacement process... if it wasn't done so well I'd never attempt this. Ingo Lahnemann Office Phone:1+609 397-0525 Mobile Phone:1+609 937-8246

Zachariah Mully

doohickey source?

Post by Zachariah Mully » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:11 am

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 07:53, Ingo Lahnemann wrote:
> Hello Listers... > > I'm not trying to start trouble, but I do have a question... Is there > another source for an after market doohickey? In light of all the talk > about failures, I've jumped on the crest of the wave and decided to > replace my doohickey this winter. While assembling the required tools, > materials, etc. I was told by a respected vendor that there were > alternatives to the Sagebrush machine doohickey that do not require > special fitting (filing) and were readily available.
Jake's does *not* require filing... You can special order an undersize doohickey that you must file to fit the shaft, but I think what you were referring to was the very first batch... This fouled on the back of the starter clutch, and Jake has since modified his design to take that into account.
> > Has anyone had any experience with doohickey's manufactured by "other" > vendors? >
If you're talking about the Zen lever, then no, but I can say this... Why are they using stainless steel in a part that runs in an oil bath?? Probably so that they can charge $65 for the lever. The holder and puller from them are $54.95, so you'll spend 2x as much as with Jake. In contrast you can get the spring, lever, rotor holder and rotor puller from Jake for around the same price as just their lever. Yes, you might have to wait for the next batch to be made, but you'll have to do the same with Zen lever, as their website says they're out of stock as well. All in all, it's really not that hard of a procedure. If there is ANYONE in the Mid-Atlantic area that would like help with the procedure, I would be more than happy to help you with it, I have all the tools necessary as well as a heated garage (I turn my dryer on ;). You just have to get your KLR to DC. Z DC A2 A5 A11

Tengai Mark Van Horn

doohickey source?

Post by Tengai Mark Van Horn » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:26 am

At 10:11 AM -0500 12/10/2002, Zachariah Mully wrote:
>All in all, it's really not that hard of a procedure. If there is ANYONE >in the Mid-Atlantic area that would like help with the procedure, I >would be more than happy to help you with it, I have all the tools >necessary as well as a heated garage
Likewise, I have helped a couple folks do their fix and or demoed the fix, and will gladly help anyone who wants to ride to Centre County PA. I have all the tools, and a torpedo heater in the garage. U-bring-beer; I'll make the chili. Mark B2 A2 A2

Devon Jarvis

doohickey source?

Post by Devon Jarvis » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:39 am

Zachariah Mully wrote:
> > Why are they using stainless steel in a part that runs in an oil bath?? > Probably so that they can charge $65 for the lever.
I was wondering this myself, and the machinist (who occasionally lurks here) emailed me about it. The steel alloy he used was selected for toughness, and the ability to work-harden the surface without becoming brittle (as I understood his explanation). Actually a fairly ideal alloy which just happens to be corrosion resistant. It's expensive metal though. Standing in the machinist's shoes, you'd use whatever material would guarantee you'd never have someone's engine blow up because your part broke. Professional judgement call I guess. Devon A15

Arden Kysely

doohickey source?

Post by Arden Kysely » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:04 am

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Ingo Lahnemann wrote:
> Hello Listers...
I was told by a respected vendor that there were
> alternatives to the Sagebrush machine doohickey that do not require > special fitting (filing) and were readily available.
Ingo, I've put two of Jake's doohickeys into KLR's (for peace of mind, both stock parts were OK) and neither required filing or other special fitting. There are reports of doohickeys touching the starter gear, but we didn't have that problem and Jake has since made changes so that won't happen. If Kawi made all the bikes the same, it never would have happened in the first place. __Arden

doohickey source?

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:01 am

snip
> materials, etc. I was told by a respected vendor that there were > alternatives to the Sagebrush machine doohickey that do not require > special fitting (filing) and were readily available. > Ingo Lahnemann
snip
> Office Phone:1+609 397-0525 > Mobile Phone:1+609 937-8246
Ingo, I installed a Sagebrush Machine Shop Doohickey in my A16. There was NO special fitting required. It fit just right- no clearance issues. Billy in Dripping Springs TX

andreas@ahack.org

doohickey source?

Post by andreas@ahack.org » Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:03 pm

DOOHICKEY EXPERIENCE I replaced stock doohickey with Jake's a while ago. My Tengai '91 B4 had blown itself with some balancer problem while the previous owner had it. The second dohickey (the one I replaced) had buckled because it had been tightened too firmly, unless you unscrewed the adjuster bolt ~ 8 turns the balancer shaft (or whatever it is called) couldn't adjust. ALTERNATIVE DOOHICKEY SOURCE Have a look at http://www.fayettemotorcycles.com/eagle/eagle-home.htm. :-) Andreas - - - Andreas Hack @ location: 'nanga mai', Taroona, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia @ work: attempting to impersonate a business information systems mechanic with a 'whole-of- organisation' viewpoint @ life: wanderer & dreamer, domestic grump, bushwalking, touring cycling, touring kayaking, KLR650 'Tengai' rider, bush philosophy @ www.ahack.org - - -

Inire

doohickey source?

Post by Inire » Tue Dec 10, 2002 5:36 pm

--- andreas@... wrote:
> > ALTERNATIVE DOOHICKEY SOURCE > Have a look at >
http://www.fayettemotorcycles.com/eagle/eagle-home.htm.
>
bummer, They're out too. drat! crossing fingers (but not too worried since I don;t expect to be able to ride regularly until January...) ===== Jeff "My dice hate me!" Miller Gaming to keep War out of RealTime! Watch FireFly! Fridays on Fox...Serenity Needs You! KLR650A7 (name pending...Corsair?) __________________________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now. http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Russell Scott

doohickey source?

Post by Russell Scott » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:40 pm

At the rate doohickey madness is spreading, Jake's going to be towing his KLR in a Lincoln Navigator, with a bumber sticker that says, "I used to ride my KLR, until people started breaking their doohickeys". R -----Original Message----- From: Inire [SMTP:inire@...] Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 3:37 PM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Doohickey Source? --- andreas@... wrote:
> > ALTERNATIVE DOOHICKEY SOURCE > Have a look at >
http://www.fayettemotorcycles.com/eagle/eagle-home.htm.
>
bummer, They're out too. drat! crossing fingers (but not too worried since I don;t expect to be able to ride regularly until January...)

mnron2002

doohickey source?

Post by mnron2002 » Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:27 am

--- In DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com, Russell Scott wrote:
> At the rate doohickey madness is spreading, Jake's going to be
towing his
> KLR in a Lincoln Navigator, with a bumber sticker that says, "I
used to
> ride my KLR, until people started breaking their doohickeys". >
His vanity plate could read: MRDOHKY MNRon