furry bikes

DSN_KLR650
Kurt Simpson

list notes...

Post by Kurt Simpson » Mon Nov 13, 2000 1:12 pm

Every list has to stake its own claim. This one started with a culture of "high-tolerance" to this day there are few set rules. Blatant spam has zero tolerance, as does personal attacks. The list admin makes a few judgement calls on most of the rest. NKLR is here to stay. It is important that people understand how the "NKLR" feature in the subject line allows users to "filter" to delete automatically...so, theoretically a person would never see an NKLR post. If you don't understand how this works email me off-line...   Kurt

Kurt Simpson

list notes...

Post by Kurt Simpson » Thu Dec 28, 2000 3:51 pm

I have debated with Arne as to whether to send this post and have decided to contradict my own advice to him by sharing with the list. Amazingly, we have grown to nearly 1,000 listers...a sizable group. In the last few weeks we have experienced something new. A person who has chosen to post negative and antagonizing notes under a variety of assumed accounts. I will not mention any names. For those of you who think you know who this might be I urge you not to speculate and to not send private mail. Here are the steps we've taken in the order we rolled them out. 1. We've reminded all listers there are two rules on the list, no personal attacks and no spamming. 2. We've cautioned the lister in question. 3. We've banned the accounts in question, 4 prior to today and today still another. We have every reason to expect more. 4. We've changed the settings on the list so all posts from new listers have to be approved by the moderator. This last one is fairly drastic. On the other hand it will prevent what is in a real sense attacks of people on the list. Many of us feel that the KLR list is a terrific source of good will, good information and camaraderie. Arne and I are committed to keeping it that way. I regret that all of this is necessary. Life is so short and there are many important issues to be dealt with. If people have any better ideas feel free to contact me offlist. Kurt Simpson

Arne Larsen

list notes...

Post by Arne Larsen » Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:13 pm

Kurt is working his ass off here people... I can't thank him enough for stepping in and moderating the list while I am on a bit of a (much needed) sabbatical. What he is doing is NOT fun... and it is most certainly not power-tripping. It is very stressful. This list started as a relatively small group of enthusiasts. Due to Kurt's original vision and commitment, and many of you people who have made up this list for awhile now, the list has developed and maintained a certain je ne sais quois (sp?) as far as character and personality. Amazingly, this "character" has - for the most part - remained in spite of the lists bulging proportions. This charactyer is far, far more valuable than membership numbers anyday. I applaude and support Kurt in his tireless, Herculean effort to keep this list what it is. Anyone who would seek to undermine this deserves what they themselves bring their way. 'nuff said... carry on... nothing to see here folks... keep moving. Arne
--- In DSN_klr650@egroups.com, "Kurt Simpson" wrote: > I have debated with Arne as to whether to send this post and have decided to > contradict my own advice to him by sharing with the list. > > Amazingly, we have grown to nearly 1,000 listers...a sizable group. In the > last few weeks we have experienced something new. A person who has chosen to > post negative and antagonizing notes under a variety of assumed accounts. I > will not mention any names. For those of you who think you know who this > might be I urge you not to speculate and to not send private mail. > > Here are the steps we've taken in the order we rolled them out. > > 1. We've reminded all listers there are two rules on the list, no personal > attacks and no spamming. > 2. We've cautioned the lister in question. > 3. We've banned the accounts in question, 4 prior to today and today still > another. We have every reason to expect more. > 4. We've changed the settings on the list so all posts from new listers have > to be approved by the moderator. > > This last one is fairly drastic. On the other hand it will prevent what is > in a real sense attacks of people on the list. Many of us feel that the KLR > list is a terrific source of good will, good information and camaraderie. > Arne and I are committed to keeping it that way. > > I regret that all of this is necessary. Life is so short and there are many > important issues to be dealt with. If people have any better ideas feel free > to contact me offlist. > > Kurt Simpson

Bogdan Swider

list notes...

Post by Bogdan Swider » Fri Dec 29, 2000 7:19 pm

> I regret that all of this is necessary. Life is so short and there are > many > important issues to be dealt with. If people have any better ideas feel > free > to contact me offlist. > > Kurt Simpson >
I know I'm not alone in thanking you for finding time in this short life to start and then maintain this list. Thanks also to Arne. Bogdan

Backroad Bill

list notes...

Post by Backroad Bill » Fri Dec 29, 2000 7:57 pm

I apologize for my part in the latest list discord. A person I don't know took a real dislike to me. I am sorry if I annoyed anyone with publicly pointing this out. It got under my skin, and though I did not enjoy it, I feel that I did what I had to do. I thank Arne and Kurt for their use of good judgement in the resolution of this matter. I wish everyone a Happy New Year. I'm having one too! Backroad Bill Sunny California where it's a balmy 20 degrees or so in the morning lately.

racing43rd@aol.com

list notes...

Post by racing43rd@aol.com » Sat Dec 30, 2000 11:49 pm

Indeed I don't believe I've ever taken the time to thank either of you. Thank you Kurt, Thank you Arne. To both of you, and everyone else have a wonderful 2001. Ed Windsor Ohio

Kurt Simpson

list notes...

Post by Kurt Simpson » Mon Aug 13, 2001 10:29 am

My thanks to all for helping get the KLR list headed back in the right direction. The posts over the weekend remind me of what the list can be at its best. Since I started "the campaign" I've received lots of notes encouraging me to stop the negativism on the list. Many posts from people who've unsubscribed because they've been offended at some of the threads. I think we're turning it around...I have to shake my head to believe there is over 1,500 of us... We had some humble beginnings 21/2 years ago. It went something like, Kurt: "hello Fred are you there?" Fred: "yep...I think Gino is too" Bill: "so here we go..." Redondo: " let me introduce you to some of my friends..." Gino: "hey, you hear the one about the guy who went to his BMW dealership for capocinno?" Kurt

Kurt Simpson

list notes...

Post by Kurt Simpson » Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:07 pm

I returned from Copper Canyon and Batopilas a little before noon yesterday. I spent from 3:00 - 7:30 pm reading each of the 900 or so messages on the list since my departure. As many of you know the tradition of NKLR posts is here to stay. Dr. Krok recalled the reasoning very well to the hapless new poster wondering why so many off-topic posts, i.e., without NKLR and the ability to write off-topic there would be little to keep veteran listers around. There is only so much that can be written about a bike that has been around in one form another since 1986. For digest listers you aren't going to get a lot of help with the NKLR designation. For regular listers, NKLR is the designation you can use to engage the filter function with your email program to direct those posts to trash or an NKLR folder for perusal at a later time. Bagwan has spoken well about the pluses of encouraging controversial off-topic and uncensored conversation. Others have commented about the inability of a list to accommodate the deeply held believes of others without fueling the fires of injustice. In my view, there were several unfortunate turns. There were several instances of personal attacks, and a gradual disintegration of the arguments about homosexuality that became gay bashing. I'm going to rewrite the introduction to the list to state clearly the bashing of any groups ethnic or otherwise is also off-limits to the list. Had I been here, I'm certain I would have stepped in well before things took the turn of personal attacks. I'm not certain what to do at this point and am open to other's reasonings. If you have thoughts on whether punitive action should be taken or not...or, in general, how to improve the list I'd like to hear from you. Please feel free to write me off-list at ajax@... or you can post your thoughts with NKLR on the list as long as you avoid names or references to individuals. Finally, I do have one peeve. With respect to "messages from Elden" I would ask people not to forward any messages. It is unfair as Elden has a number of axes to grind and three of our current listers and sponsors are former editors/publishers of Dual Sport News. Elden has his facts wrong and his arguments are one-sided. All for now... Kurt

Judson D. Jones

list notes...

Post by Judson D. Jones » Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:52 pm

Kurt, As a relative newcomer to this list, I would hope you would relax your objection to having Eldon Carl's posts appear. I don't have the history to know why it would rankle, but from his recent offering it was clear enough to this newbie that he does have an axe to grind. It was also clear that he may have some useful information about KLRs. It was just as clear that on some counts his opinions are just a bunch of BS. Mr. Carl's name is revered in some circles as a KLR guru. For that reason alone, I would like to hear what he has to say. For years I have been sifting through the slag from various self-anointed BMW gurus, in order to extract a few nuggets of wisdom. This list has shown enough collective savvy to separate the wheat from the chaff, both on list politics and on technical matters.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Kurt Simpson wrote: > > Finally, I do have one peeve. With respect to "messages from Elden" I would ask people not to forward any messages. It is unfair as Elden has a number of axes to grind and three of our current listers and sponsors are former editors/publishers of Dual Sport News. Elden has his facts wrong and his arguments are one-sided. > > All for now... > > Kurt

Russell Scott

list notes...

Post by Russell Scott » Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:32 pm

While the cats away, the mice will play, and Sherlock is Mighty Mouse. :) Russell