cold, wind rain and soft luggage.

DSN_KLR650
zacarado

mayo luggage

Post by zacarado » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:50 am

OK OK Due to the clamoring of requests for a photo of the Mayo luggage system I somehow eventually got a photo posted in the yahoo photo site under the clever name of ~MAP0000, this stuff isn't easy. Some further blah blah--- Around the dry bag is a day pack for stuff,hydration bladder, snacks, camera etc etc. Between the Mayo buckets is a BBQ bottle for 1 gal H2O and a qrt of oil. Inside the spare rear tire is no fewer then 6 Stagg Dynamite Hot chilli. The boy is clever and resourceful. If there are any other comments, questions, considerations please fell free. If there is enough interest I'd try to post a picture of my combo lower fairing,skid plate, foot rests, case guard, H2O pump guard, chain lube holder and radiator guard. Crash tested both on and off road

S. B. Lawrence

mayo luggage

Post by S. B. Lawrence » Mon Oct 21, 2002 2:52 pm

If the rider of that bike is still alive and well (yourself?) I think you've dispelled any notion that something catastrophic is going to happen should the rack cargo should get a tad over 22lb or whatever it reads on that "anti-litigation device" attached at the factory.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "zacarado" wrote: > OK OK Due to the clamoring of requests for a photo of the Mayo > luggage system I somehow eventually got a photo posted in the yahoo > photo site under the clever name of ~MAP0000, this stuff isn't easy. > Some further blah blah--- Around the dry bag is a day pack for > stuff,hydration bladder, snacks, camera etc etc. Between the Mayo > buckets is a BBQ bottle for 1 gal H2O and a qrt of oil. Inside the > spare rear tire is no fewer then 6 Stagg Dynamite Hot chilli. The boy > is clever and resourceful. If there are any other comments, > questions, considerations please fell free. If there is enough > interest I'd try to post a picture of my combo lower fairing,skid > plate, foot rests, case guard, H2O pump guard, chain lube holder and > radiator guard. Crash tested both on and off road

Mike Thompson

mayo luggage

Post by Mike Thompson » Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:14 pm

Probably been tried but what about hitting the local thrift/secondhand stores for suitcase luggage and vanity cases to use as bags &tail box? Some of this seems like tuff stuff, and ya might find a color to match the bike. Anyone tried it? Mike The difference between a good man and a bad one is the choice of cause.

Valkyrie Bob

mayo luggage

Post by Valkyrie Bob » Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:58 pm

How about a set of these instead of panniers costing 1K? http://home.earthlink.net/~dayridersmc/planotoolbox/index.html I've been looking in flea markets, sporting goods stores, second hand shops, etc...and these are about the most sturdy boxes I've found to date. They're wide and deep enough to put a decent amount of gear in. I think the two-tray system on top could actually be a plus for those hard-to-reach items that always seem to end up in the bottom of the box (plus you don't get that cruddy black googaw stuff that rubs off the aluminum). They may cost a little more than mayo luggage, but you do get that snazzy "Plano" emblem on the side. {=o) Bob -A (...but looking hard) valkyriebob@...
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Thompson" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 9:14 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Mayo luggage > Probably been tried but what about hitting the local > thrift/secondhand stores for suitcase luggage and vanity > cases to use as bags &tail box?

Ramey

mayo luggage

Post by Ramey » Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:01 pm

When I'm not tourning, using my mayo luggage, I use a Rubbermaid 22" tool box I strap to my rack. It just doesn't have the capacity for trips, though it is great for hauling many things. I use it to carry lotsa junk when I day trip. Got mine as a spiff-probably bought 2-3K worth of parts. Oh well. -----Original Message----- From: Valkyrie Bob [mailto:valkyriebob@...] Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 6:56 PM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Mayo luggage How about a set of these instead of panniers costing 1K? http://home.earthlink.net/~dayridersmc/planotoolbox/index.html I've been looking in flea markets, sporting goods stores, second hand shops, etc...and these are about the most sturdy boxes I've found to date. They're wide and deep enough to put a decent amount of gear in. I think the two-tray system on top could actually be a plus for those hard-to-reach items that always seem to end up in the bottom of the box (plus you don't get that cruddy black googaw stuff that rubs off the aluminum). They may cost a little more than mayo luggage, but you do get that snazzy "Plano" emblem on the side. {=o) Bob -A (...but looking hard) valkyriebob@...
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Thompson" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 9:14 PM Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] Mayo luggage > Probably been tried but what about hitting the local > thrift/secondhand stores for suitcase luggage and vanity > cases to use as bags &tail box? List sponsored by Dual Sport News at www.dualsportnews.com. List FAQ courtesy of Chris Krok at: www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html Unsubscribe by sending a blank message to: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com . Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

ksveader

cold, wind rain and soft luggage.

Post by ksveader » Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:57 pm

Over the course of last weekend I descided to try out my KLR's touring legs. I rode her up to Camden ME on Saturday, and back on Sunday, about 180 miles each way. It was cold and windy as hell the whole way up there. If any one is familliar with the area, going over the bridges in Portsmouth NH and Bath Me were truely harrowing but the scaryiest single incident came when a big ol' gust caught me well healed over in a fast sweeper at about 80 and blew the wheels out from under me! Those Kenda KNobbies gripped right up, but damn was I scared! To make the day coplete, it started raining when I got on to rt 90. Not the most pleasant ride, but I did learn that: 1) The stock seat is fine for me @210# 2) My Tourmaster soft bags came through unburned and the contents uncooked. I mounted them prety far forward, and would have made 2-up impossable, but the set up suited my needs well, and I'm glad that I don't have to spend a couple hundred bucks on racks! We stayed at Beloin's Motell, right on the coast. The views were fantastic, and it's a realy nice little place. We Drank at the Sea Dog Brewery ( http://www.seadogbrewing.com/ ) and saw a band called Jinxed ( http://www.jinxedlife.com ). They are a great jam band in the tradition of the Greatfull Dead and Phish, and did a lot of original stuff mixed with some covers. Verry nice. Sunday mornmig we had brunch at the Samoset Resort ( http://www.samoset.com ), on RT.1, on the other side of Camden. IT's a beautifull place with great food. Sunday's ride home was prety cold untill I put on my balaclava and rain pants over my long-johns and jeans (they made great wind pants!). All in all I had a great time on my KLR and wiht good friends. It was a great weekend! BTW: I use about 4 gals of gas to get up and 4 to get back with full knobbies,a 14t front sprocket (I think stock is 15, no?) and me and my gear. I'm prety happy with that. Ken kveader@... Haverhill MA