[azds] [dsn_klr650][zrx1100] klr 650 - a15 - for sale - $3800 - how

DSN_KLR650
usafprogman21

potential new klr650 owner here

Post by usafprogman21 » Sat Jul 13, 2002 7:46 pm

Hi! I just started riding this winter on my first bike: a 1978 KZ 400. Not a bad little bike. I've had to put quite a bit of work into it. Well, actually, friends from another board have put quite a bit of work into it. One of those guys owns a DRZ and let me ride it. Well, needless to say, I'm hooked on Dual Sports. Did some research, as well as asking around, and it looks like the KLR650 is at the top of my list. I really liked the BMW F650GS, but that's almost twice as much as a KLR. Anyhow, I was given a link to this board by people on the Nebraska Motorcycle Rider's board and told to check it out. Thought you guys (and gals) might be able to shed some light on the KLR650. Pros? Cons? Recommendations? Thanks! Eric

Devon Jarvis

Post by Devon Jarvis » Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:04 pm

My $.02.... KLR is a cheap bike. Half the price of the F650GS, maybe a bit more than half the build quality. Components, including brakes, suspension, and rims, are very low-end. The engine makes less power than any other 650cc single currently sold. The KLR650 engine does not respond to the usual, simple performance mods that will greatly pep up an XL650, DR650 etc. The most you'll get is another 4hp, with a great increase in noise and fuel consumption, unless you get into overbores and high compresison pistons. Kawasaki, in the finest British tradition, has steadfastly ignored a fairly common (2-3% of post-95 new bikes) failure of the engine balancer system, which can seize the engine. Said balancer system is a rube-goldberg-worthy L-shaped chain run with 4 sprockets, a mess of guides, and a tensioner with a significant weak part. It also runs the water and oil pumps. The KLR hasn't been redesigned in any way since 1987, and has the looks to prove it. It may be the least developed bike on the market. Except for some engine internals and the countershaft sprocket, most parts will fit all bikes from all years. It is easy to maintain, simple to work on. People complain about the valve clearance check procedure, but they aren't yet accustomed to tearing into motors. The simplicity of the KLR (oh, and the shoddy dishonest useless Kawi dealer network) inspires people to become their own mechanics. The body panels don't really fit that well (on my '01 at least). It needs anywhere from $300 to $1000 in upgrades for offroad riding, depending on what your definition of "offroad" is. That said, somehow the bike is more than the sum of its cheap-ass parts and I really like it. I've put 14,000mi since buying it May '01, and really beat the sh*t out of it. I do a lot of routine service and maintainance because of the offroad service. I think it is the best compromise of long-distance comfort and offroad capability (after you fix it up a bit). My opinions on the KHI dealer network are my own, and hopefully your experience will vary. Honest, skilled mechanics experienced with KLRs do exist but they seem to be in Utah. Devon Brooklyn A15 usafprogman21 wrote:
> Hi! > > I just started riding this winter on my first bike: a 1978 KZ 400. > Not a bad little bike. I've had to put quite a bit of work into it. > Well, actually, friends from another board have put quite a bit of > work into it. One of those guys owns a DRZ and let me ride it. > Well, needless to say, I'm hooked on Dual Sports. Did some research, > as well as asking around, and it looks like the KLR650 is at the top > of my list. I really liked the BMW F650GS, but that's almost twice > as much as a KLR. > > Anyhow, I was given a link to this board by people on the Nebraska > Motorcycle Rider's board and told to check it out. Thought you guys > (and gals) might be able to shed some light on the KLR650. Pros? > Cons? Recommendations? > > Thanks! > > Eric

Devon Jarvis

Post by Devon Jarvis » Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:20 pm

BTW an aftermarket fix exists for this, costs $30, and is easy to install BUT requires a couple not-to-expensive special tools. Look at sagebrushmachine.com happy-trail.com dual-star.com arrowheadmotorsports.com etc... The aftermarket for the KLR is one of the reasons I bought one. Devon Devon Jarvis wrote:
> My $.02.... > Kawasaki, in the finest British tradition, has steadfastly ignored a fairly > common (2-3% of post-95 new bikes) failure of the engine balancer system, > which can seize the engine. Said balancer system is a rube-goldberg-worthy > L-shaped chain run with 4 sprockets, a mess of guides, and a tensioner with > a significant weak part. It also runs the water and oil pumps.

sherparider

Post by sherparider » Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:25 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Devon Jarvis wrote:
> My $.02.... > > KLR is a cheap bike. Half the price of the F650GS, maybe a bit more > than half the build quality. Components, including brakes, > suspension, and rims, are very low-end. The engine makes less > power than any other 650cc single currently sold.
And then you should hear what people who *don't* like the bike have to say about it... [yeesh.]

Tengai650

Post by Tengai650 » Sun Jul 14, 2002 12:37 am

At 9:56 PM -0400 7/13/2002, Devon Jarvis wrote:
>(The) balancer system is a rube-goldberg-worthy >L-shaped chain run with 4 sprockets, a mess of guides, and a tensioner with >a significant weak part.
Would that weak part happen to be an old boot? Mark B2 A2 A3

Ted Palmer

Post by Ted Palmer » Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:27 am

Devon Jarvis wrote: [...]
> Said balancer system is a rube-goldberg-worthy > L-shaped chain run with 4 sprockets, a mess of guides, and a tensioner with > a significant weak part. It also runs the water and oil pumps.
[...] You'll find that the oil pump takes a gear drive direct from the crank. Mister_T Melbourne Australia

steve pye

Post by steve pye » Sun Jul 14, 2002 10:09 am

----- Original Message ----- From: "usafprogman21" >Hi! > Well, I'm hooked on Dual Sports. Did some research, > as well as asking around, and it looks like the KLR650 is at the top > of my list. > Anyhow, I was given a link to this board by people on the Nebraska > Motorcycle Rider's board and told to check it out. Thought you guys > (and gals) might be able to shed some light on the KLR650. Pros? > Cons? Recommendations? > > Thanks! > > Eric Stand by for a Very Biased opinion: The 'A' series KLR 650 is the BEST Dual-Sport motorcycle available on todays market, dollar for dollar. It is cheap to purchase and maintain, extremely versatile, well supported in the aftermarket and due to the fact that there have been few changes to the design in 16 years, there are plenty of used parts around. It does have a couple of design 'weak points' but hang around this list for awhile and you will discover the cures are readily available and cheap. If you plan on doing a mix of off-road, urban and highway driving in any combination - buy the KLR. You won't be sorry. Cheers, Steve A11

Devon Jarvis

Post by Devon Jarvis » Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:04 pm

Better that he knows the facts. The whole doohickey thing really pissed me off at first. If Jake's upgraded part wasn't available I would still be pissed off, especially after the new spare OEM doohickey I bought was a worse fit on the shaft than the one with 5000mi on it, and the welding quality was laughable. I did spend about 5 hours riding today on it. 100mi upstate to meet friends for offroad riding, about 20 miles of rocks, hillclimbs, gravel road, woods trails, whoops, jumps (yes Ed we did ride to the top of the lead mines, on the hard trail), then 100mi home. My butt doesn't hurt, the bike ran great in the heat whether in first gear in the woods or 80mph on the highway, and besides rearranging the highway pegs a little all I have to do is clean the chain. I would not be so casual about hammering a $9000 bike with electronic fuel injection. I definitely have the right bike for the riding I do. Devon sherparider wrote:
> --- In DSN_klr650@y..., Devon Jarvis wrote: > > My $.02.... > > > > KLR is a cheap bike. Half the price of the F650GS, maybe a bit more > > than half the build quality. Components, including brakes, > > suspension, and rims, are very low-end. The engine makes less > > power than any other 650cc single currently sold. > > And then you should hear what people who *don't* like the bike have to say about it... > > [yeesh.]

Devon Jarvis

Post by Devon Jarvis » Sun Jul 14, 2002 5:23 pm

Thank you Ted, that's right. I have (fortunately) not needed to take off that side's engine covers. The water pump however does take its drive from the end of the balancer, right? Devon A15 Ted Palmer wrote:
> Devon Jarvis wrote: > [...] > > Said balancer system is a rube-goldberg-worthy > > L-shaped chain run with 4 sprockets, a mess of guides, and a tensioner with > > a significant weak part. It also runs the water and oil pumps. > [...] > > You'll find that the oil pump takes a gear drive direct from the crank. > > Mister_T > Melbourne Australia

InWoods13@aol.com

Post by InWoods13@aol.com » Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:01 pm

In a message dated 7/13/02 8:48:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time, gymrat@... writes: << Hi! I just started riding this winter on my first bike: a 1978 KZ 400. Not a bad little bike. I've had to put quite a bit of work into it. Well, actually, friends from another board have put quite a bit of work into it. One of those guys owns a DRZ and let me ride it. Well, needless to say, I'm hooked on Dual Sports. Did some research, as well as asking around, and it looks like the KLR650 is at the top of my list. I really liked the BMW F650GS, but that's almost twice as much as a KLR. Anyhow, I was given a link to this board by people on the Nebraska Motorcycle Rider's board and told to check it out. Thought you guys (and gals) might be able to shed some light on the KLR650. Pros? Cons? Recommendations? Thanks! Eric >> Hey Eric, If you like the characteristics of the F650....the KLR (or DR650) will serve you well, at around half the cost. Other big upside to the KLR, is that you won't have to do a second mortgage to replace parts broken in off road dumps. The KLR's no DR-Z as weight goes, though. If you're looking for more of a 50/50 or 60/40 dualsport out of the box, the DR-Z400, or one of the new KLX's will definitely flip your skirt. All best -Scott A14 "thunderdog" Sorrento, Fl