berrins

DSN_KLR650
RM

now i've done it!

Post by RM » Thu Feb 08, 2001 3:13 am

Sheesh. I couldn't stop myself! I just closed the deal on a leftover A14. I was going to shop a little harder but dammit I wanted the bike to ride this weekend! So sue me! Couple of questions.. 1. Any opinions on Pacific Specialty Insurance Company? I finally found the rates I was looking for and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this company. 2. Kawa extended warranty. $380 for 36 mos (total warranty wound be 48mos). It transfers to a new owner for free. Do it or not? 3. I want to get roadside assistance PDQ. What was the consensus on towing and recovery? If I join the AMA (worth it?) I can get MoTow for $25 a year. Thoughts? 4. What size U-haul trailer do I need to transport this ugly homeless beast to its new cave^H^H^H^Hgarage? 5. Are there any must-have essentials that I absolutely must pick up from the parts counter when I take delivery? Spare tube? Tire irons? What size? 6. Common dealer assembly mistakes to check before my first ride? If it rains this weekend, I'll be working on that sidestand switch for sure. RM <-- Grinning fool, about to play Crash-The-New-KLR

Mark Wilson

now i've done it!

Post by Mark Wilson » Thu Feb 08, 2001 3:41 am

----- Original Message ----- From: RM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2001 4:13 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] NOW I've done it! > > Sheesh. I couldn't stop myself! > > I just closed the deal on a leftover A14. I was going to shop a little > harder but dammit I wanted the bike to ride this weekend! So sue me! > > Couple of questions.. > > 1. Any opinions on Pacific Specialty Insurance Company? I finally found > the rates I was looking for and I was wondering if anyone knows anything > about this company. I've never heard of them, you want to get quotes from several different companies, you'll be surprised at the difference sometimes. Also try Progressive, State Farm, if you have homeowners ins, try them too. > 2. Kawa extended warranty. $380 for 36 mos (total warranty wound be > 48mos). It transfers to a new owner for free. Do it or not? Thats questionable. I wouldnt do it. $380 dollars can buy some cool stuff. > 3. I want to get roadside assistance PDQ. What was the consensus on > towing and recovery? If I join the AMA (worth it?) I can get MoTow for > $25 a year. Thoughts? Join AMA. I dont know about Mo Tow. If you ride alot offroad, you might want to check and see if they will pick you up in the middle of the forest. I just carry a cell phone and credit card, and take my chances. No problems yet. > 4. What size U-haul trailer do I need to transport this ugly homeless > beast to its new cave^H^H^H^Hgarage? What? RIDE IT!!!!!!!!! and dont call my pretty bike "ugly"! 8*} > 5. Are there any must-have essentials that I absolutely must pick up from > the parts counter when I take delivery? Spare tube? Tire irons? What > size? Dont get carried away on your first day, you have a long way to go. You can check out my KLR mods website to see some KLR mods that you might be interested in. http://www.angelfire.com/mo/motormark/klrmods.html Get good riding gear first, you dont want to get splattered. > 6. Common dealer assembly mistakes to check before my first ride? > > If it rains this weekend, I'll be working on that sidestand switch for > sure. > > RM http://www.geocities.com/motormark64/ http://www.angelfire.com/mo/motormark/ KLR-650 A-13 "warthogg" XR250R "superfly" Stone Mountain, Ga ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

zircam@hotmail.com

now i've done it!

Post by zircam@hotmail.com » Thu Feb 08, 2001 8:30 am

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., RM wrote:
> > Sheesh. I couldn't stop myself! > > I just closed the deal on a leftover A14. I was going to shop a
little
> harder but dammit I wanted the bike to ride this weekend! So sue
me!
> Couple of questions.. > 6. Common dealer assembly mistakes to check before my first ride?
RM - Congrats on the new ride!! One thing I would check is the chain tension. When I got mine I didn't discover it 'til about 300 miles. The chain was taught with the bike sitting on the sidestand. After reading so much on the list about improper chain adjustment and the damage it can cause to the countershaft seal I loosened it up pronto. Another thing is to adjust the bars and levers to where they are comfortable for you. Most dealers seem to slap these things on with no regard for how they fit the new owner. Good luck. Robb

Rev.Chuck

now i've done it!

Post by Rev.Chuck » Thu Feb 08, 2001 10:33 am

Congradulations! Did you get a good deal?
>1. Any opinions on Pacific Specialty Insurance Company? I finally found >the rates I was looking for and I was wondering if anyone knows anything >about this company. >
I had them for the first year on my A13, but dropped them for the less expensive (for me) GMAC. I never excercised a claim, so I can't comment on their performance.
>2. Kawa extended warranty. $380 for 36 mos (total warranty wound be >48mos). It transfers to a new owner for free. Do it or not? >
I also thought about this, but backed off. I remembered while working for a major computer manufacturer, the profit we made was not on the system sold, but the extended warranty... I never needed the extended warranty on the KLR as it worked out.
>3. I want to get roadside assistance PDQ. What was the consensus on >towing and recovery? If I join the AMA (worth it?) I can get MoTow for >$25 a year. Thoughts? >
Can't help, but AAA does not provide mototcycle assistance for its members, I paid $90 to have a bike taken 5 miles with a tow truck one time, $120. another for about the same miles (neither for the KLR)! Your decision...
>4. What size U-haul trailer do I need to transport this ugly homeless >beast to its new cave^H^H^H^Hgarage? >
Why not ride it?
>5. Are there any must-have essentials that I absolutely must pick up from >the parts counter when I take delivery? Spare tube? Tire irons? What >size? >
Kawasaki saddle bags are great and inexpensive, stay away from their idea of a side rack to keep the bags off the hot exhaust though, $45 for a bent piece of tubing doesn't hang with me.
>6. Common dealer assembly mistakes to check before my first ride? >
Check the oil, this list agrees to dis agree about volume, but I take it to the top of the sight glass with the bike vertical. Check all safty related nuts and bolts. Depending on your inseam, you may want to flush the top of the front tubes with the top face of the triple clamp, the bikes come shipped in every adjustment there you can think of.
>If it rains this weekend, I'll be working on that sidestand switch for >sure. >
Or riding wet! :^) == Rev. Chuck :^)>+ A13 http://klr650.www.50megs.com/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ _____________________________________________________________

thesquasher@hotmail.com

now i've done it!

Post by thesquasher@hotmail.com » Thu Feb 08, 2001 10:40 am

I have insurance with this company (PSIC). $311 a year full coverage. They are with McGraw. Are you in California? I think PSIC is California only company???? First thing I did was change the grips to gel types. Also the carb vent thingy and a brighter light bulb (not DOT aproved type). Most likely you will see some white stuff around the right side coolant container. This is overflow it happens to new bikes.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., RM wrote: > > > 1. Any opinions on Pacific Specialty Insurance Company? I finally found > the rates I was looking for and I was wondering if anyone knows anything > about this company. > > 5. Are there any must-have essentials that I absolutely must pick up from > the parts counter when I take delivery? Spare tube? Tire irons? What > size? > > 6. Common dealer assembly mistakes to check before my first ride? > > > RM

thesquasher@hotmail.com

now i've done it!

Post by thesquasher@hotmail.com » Thu Feb 08, 2001 10:47 am

A helmet and gloves!!!!
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., RM wrote: > > > > 5. Are there any must-have essentials that I absolutely must pick up from > the parts counter when I take delivery? Spare tube? Tire irons? What > size? >

Multifunction-ES@Bigfoot.com

now i've done it!

Post by Multifunction-ES@Bigfoot.com » Thu Feb 08, 2001 11:45 am

2. Kawa extended warranty. I opted NO, I almost never get an extended warranty on anything. Unless I am buying something that I am pretty sure will break early or I can't afford to fix it if it does. The KLR is neither. 5. Common dealer assembly mistakes to check before my first ride? Mirrors Chain Oil Level BEFORE you leave the dealership Buy lots of blue loctite, little screws will depart with regularity. Have fun! Ed Snow 2001 KLR650 "Zoom Zoom"

Kurt Simpson

now i've done it!

Post by Kurt Simpson » Thu Feb 08, 2001 2:00 pm

> (worth it?) I can get MoTow for >$25 a year. Thoughts? > Can't > help, but AAA does not provide mototcycle assistance for its > members
not with regular membership but yes with RV plus...a few dollars more and they tow to your place of choice up to 100 miles or so four times a year... Kurt

guymanbro

berrins

Post by guymanbro » Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:26 pm

No policy change I just ordered a set of bearings and the total was less than $20 including shipping (I thought I ordered the part numbers for SKF's but got the mix of Chinese and polish crap). dat brooklyn bum
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Zachariah Mully wrote: > Perhaps they've changed their policy... Anyhow you don't want that > Chinese crap. > > On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 15:42, richard6121 wrote: > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., Zachariah Mully wrote: > > > > > Er. NO. > > > http://www.arrowweb.com/bake/pwtl.htm > > > > I was looking at this: > > > > http://www.arrowweb.com/bake/6000chi.htm > > > > The page you listed doesn't seem to have 6000-series bearings > > listed... > > > >