4mm heavy tire tubes

DSN_KLR650
aguywithadream

klr vibration - numb hands

Post by aguywithadream » Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:24 pm

I bought a new KLR 650 a few weeks ago and took it out for a long tour yesterday. I spent the whole day on the bike, 10 hours, 500Km (300 miles). A good day's ride. I noticed my fingers getting numb after about 20 minutes of constant riding at 100 kph (60 mph). This I believe is a circulation issue from hanging on in the same position for that period of time. It goes away after a few seconds of relaxation. There is a second "kind" of numbness that seems to be from the vibration of the bike that causes a tingling sensation that lasts much longer. A few questions; Has anyone else noticed this with the KLR ? I was thinking of purchasing some new grips, and mirrors while I'm at it from dual star. Does anyone have experience with the rally grips ? Which rally grips best fit the KLR, 714 or 737 ? Do the dual star mirrors work better than the OEM ones vibration wise ? A gel seat is also now firmly on my radar, again anyone used the dual star one for both on and off road ? many thanks, Paul [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

klr650a15

Post by klr650a15 » Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:44 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "aguywithadream" wrote:
> > I noticed my fingers getting numb after about 20 minutes of
constant riding at 100 kph (60 mph). This I believe is a circulation issue from hanging on in the same position for that period of time. It goes away after a few seconds of relaxation. There is a second "kind" of numbness that seems to be from the vibration of the bike that causes a tingling sensation that lasts much longer.
>
Hey Paul, Had much the same problem myself... my 'fix' included: Johar Cush 1 motorcycle (4-3/4" x 7/8" foam) grips, Vista Cruise throttle-lock, and bicycle gloves with padding to protect the Median nerve and Ulnar nerve. Phil Live Oak, FL

RM

Post by RM » Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:48 pm

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, aguywithadream wrote:
>I noticed my fingers getting numb after about 20 minutes of constant >riding at 100 kph (60 mph). This I believe is a circulation issue from >hanging on in the same position for that period of time. It goes away >after a few seconds of relaxation. There is a second "kind" of numbness >that seems to be from the vibration of the bike that causes a tingling >sensation that lasts much longer.
Ditch the stock bars. Replace with something aluminum.

Tom Lippe

Post by Tom Lippe » Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:03 pm

I just received one of the "dual star mirrors", and I still have one stock one, so I could compare side to side before committing to the second dual star mirror. I am running stock tires, handle bar, springs, etc. Results: Above 40mph, my "stock" mirror can quickly cause nausea, because everything seems to blurrrrrr and vibrate. I can not tell anything about the image in the mirror at that speed or faster. The "dual star mirrors" only have a tiny vibration, and I can easily identify the vehicle in the mirror, and can tell if it is approaching or going away from me. Much, much, better, but still a tiny bit of vibration. I will order the second mirror the next time I purchase from Dual Star. Tom A16
>>> "aguywithadream" 06/10/02 01:23PM >>>
I bought a new KLR 650 a few weeks ago and took it out for a long tour yesterday. I spent the whole day on the bike, 10 hours, 500Km (300 miles). A good day's ride. I noticed my fingers getting numb after about 20 minutes of constant riding at 100 kph (60 mph). This I believe is a circulation issue from hanging on in the same position for that period of time. It goes away after a few seconds of relaxation. There is a second "kind" of numbness that seems to be from the vibration of the bike that causes a tingling sensation that lasts much longer. A few questions; Has anyone else noticed this with the KLR ? I was thinking of purchasing some new grips, and mirrors while I'm at it from dual star. Does anyone have experience with the rally grips ? Which rally grips best fit the KLR, 714 or 737 ? Do the dual star mirrors work better than the OEM ones vibration wise ? A gel seat is also now firmly on my radar, again anyone used the dual star one for both on and off road ? many thanks, Paul [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] Checkout Dual Sport News at http://www.dualsportnews.com Be part of the Adventure! Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Jim Priest

Post by Jim Priest » Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:21 pm

Just worked on this over the weekend. Put on some new 737's. Previous owner had installed bar ends so I just snipped off the end and they went on fine. Also filled the bar with silicone - not sure if it worked yet - wanted to make sure the silicone is all setup for a few days. If it doesn't work - I'll probably chuck the stock bars and get some else anyway. FWIW - took about 7/8 of standard caulk gun type tube to fill the bars with about 1" left on each end for the bar ends to fit. jim (A12)
On Monday, June 10, 2002, 5:23:46 PM, aguywithadream wrote: a> Has anyone else noticed this with the KLR ?

ridecaptan

Post by ridecaptan » Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:10 pm

> There is a second "kind" of numbness that seems to be from the
vibration of the bike that causes a tingling sensation that lasts much longer.
> >
It's funny, I hadn't really noticed it until today and I have 2000 miles on the bike. When I got home from work, I went for a 1/2 hour ride at 65/70 mph steady. My hands were tingling for a while afterwards. I'm sold on Pro-Grip gel grips from past experiece, so I'll be picking some up on my day off wed. I have the gel seat mod and it is pretty good. Of course I can't compare it to the stock, as it was that way when I bought it. Ed A15
> > many thanks, > > Paul > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Ryan Newman

Post by Ryan Newman » Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:48 am

> I noticed my fingers getting numb after about 20 minutes of constant
riding at 100 kph (60 mph). This I believe is a circulation issue from hanging on in the same position for that period of time. It goes away after a few seconds of relaxation I too have this problem. I attribute it to poor circulation. I got one of those wrist roller thingys to help out. But it only helped so much. Then I installed the Vista Cruise and Whoooo-Weeeeee what a difference! Now when my hand starts going numb, I just flip the cruise on and I'm fine. Even use the cruise to prevent the numbing from the start. Ryan

edsnowmail

Post by edsnowmail » Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:21 am

> I noticed my fingers getting numb after about 20 minutes of > constant riding at 100 kph (60 mph). This I believe is a > circulation issue from hanging on in the same position for that > period of time. It goes away after a few seconds of relaxation. > There is a second "kind" of numbness that seems to be from the > vibration of the bike that causes a tingling sensation that lasts > much longer.
When I got my KLR, I noticed the numbness right away. I installed the ProGrip Gel grips first. They helped some, many have reported mixed results with the Bar Snake so I skipped that one. Vista Cruise or a Throttle Rocker will help a lot for a little money. I use the Throttle Rocker. Ed Snow Oceanside

RM

4mm heavy tire tubes

Post by RM » Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:22 pm

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, jackfrontz wrote:
>Are the 4mm tubes good for high speed (70mph+-) highway riding?
After many thousands of freeway miles, I can say "yes."