list closed ? !

DSN_KLR650
wayne adamson

kill switch

Post by wayne adamson » Tue May 28, 2002 7:17 pm

I was out riding in the bush to-day and somehow the kill switch fell off my bike. Just the red part,it must have caught on my wolfman tankbag? Anybody ever have this happen? I am going to try and take it apart and cross the wires so my bike will start.When I shut it off,it wouldn't start,I mean the starter would not engage.Totally dead. Any suggestions?...........Wayne

esteban80127

kill switch

Post by esteban80127 » Wed May 29, 2002 1:13 am

I had this exact thing happen when a ring on my Wolfman caught the kill switch and tore it out in the middle of nowhere on a trail 60 miles form anywhere alone on a week day in North central Colorado. I hot wired the switch to get the bike to start and used it that way for 6 months. Now I have a $65 new switch on which I have shortened & shaped the red thumb lever. I cut it on an angle so this cannot happen again. I used a Foredom flexi-shaft grinder...like a dremel. A very worthwhile mod. Steve
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Wayne Adamson" wrote: > I was out riding in the bush to-day and somehow the kill switch fell off my > bike. Just the red part,it must have caught on my wolfman tankbag? Anybody > ever have this happen? I am going to try and take it apart and cross the > wires so my bike will start.When I shut it off,it wouldn't start,I mean the > starter would not engage.Totally dead. Any suggestions?...........Wayne

wayne adamson

kill switch

Post by wayne adamson » Wed May 29, 2002 1:34 am

Steve,I tried to hot wire the switch and I F-up something,but I'm not sure what?I crossed the brown wire with the orange wire, with the white and black wire,turned on the key,and fried something? It made a popping sound,and started to smell.I shut it off and then connected the orange and brown alone,witch I think are the right ones to hot wire? Now the starter works,but I have to figure out what I fried? I have the tank off,and the fairing off,but it was getting to late to continue.I have both manuals,but I am not very good at reading electrical diagrams.If anyone can offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you .............Wayne
----- Original Message ----- From: "esteban80127" To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 11:13 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: Kill Switch > I had this exact thing happen when a ring on my Wolfman caught the > kill switch and tore it out in the middle of nowhere on a trail 60 > miles form anywhere alone on a week day in North central Colorado. I > hot wired the switch to get the bike to start and used it that way > for 6 months. > > Now I have a $65 new switch on which I have shortened & shaped the > red thumb lever. I cut it on an angle so this cannot happen again. I > used a Foredom flexi-shaft grinder...like a dremel. > > A very worthwhile mod. > > Steve > > > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Wayne Adamson" wrote: > > I was out riding in the bush to-day and somehow the kill switch > fell off my > > bike. Just the red part,it must have caught on my wolfman tankbag? > Anybody > > ever have this happen? I am going to try and take it apart and > cross the > > wires so my bike will start.When I shut it off,it wouldn't start,I > mean the > > starter would not engage.Totally dead. Any > suggestions?...........Wayne >

Jim Hyman

kill switch

Post by Jim Hyman » Wed May 29, 2002 6:03 am

Wayne, You have sent +12 volts improperly through the CDI unit and the exciter coil in the stator. The CDI and exciter coil may have been damaged. If there is no spark when you crank the engine, you have damaged one or more wires or the CDI and/or exciter coil are fried. The ignition system is a magneto setup, meaning that it does NOT use any part of the 12 volt system. The BLACK/WHITE wire connects the exciter coil (in the stator) to the CDI and this wires goes to the kill switch and the ignition switch. In the RUN position, this wire is NOT connected to any other wires. In the STOP position (kill switch) or the OFF position (ignition switch), this BLACK/WHITE is grounded (via the BLACK/YELLOW wire) and the ignition system can't generate any sparks. The wiring diagram shows 4 wires that go to the kill switch: BLACK/WHITE BLACK/YELLOW YELLOW/RED BROWN When the ignition switch is in the ON position, the BROWN wire is connected to the always hot (+12 volts) WHITE wire. This BROWN wire feeds +12 volts to the electric starter button. Pressing the starter switch momentarily feeds +12 volts to the YELLOW/RED wire that goes to the STARTER CIRCUIT RELAY. The ORANGE wire goes from the TURN SIGNAL RELAY to the TURN SIGNAL SWITCH. There is a RED wire (at the ignition switch) that is permanently connected (U.S. & Canadian models) to a BROWN wire in the HEADLIGHT switch. Before you do any further damage, see if there is a lister nearby that can help you perform resistance checks on the CDI unit and exciter coil. See message # 8095 for additional info on CDI measurements. Professor A9 Federal Way, WA. [USA] ++++++++++++ Wayne wrote: I was out riding in the bush to-day and somehow the kill switch fell off my bike. Just the red part,it must have caught on my wolfman tankbag? Anybody ever have this happen? I am going to try and take it apart and cross the wires so my bike will start.When I shut it off,it wouldn't start,I mean the starter would not engage.Totally dead. Any suggestions?...........Wayne -- 2nd message -- Steve,I tried to hot wire the switch and I F-up something,but I'm not sure what?I crossed the brown wire with the orange wire, with the white and black wire,turned on the key,and fried something? It made a popping sound,and started to smell.I shut it off and then connected the orange and brown alone,witch I think are the right ones to hot wire? Now the starter works,but I have to figure out what I fried? I have the tank off,and the fairing off,but it was getting to late to continue.I have both manuals,but I am not very good at reading electrical diagrams.If anyone can offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you .............Wayne

wayne adamson

kill switch

Post by wayne adamson » Wed May 29, 2002 5:03 pm

Professor,I know I have fried the CDI because I have it off and it is cracked and it has that burned electric smell. I am very electronically challenged so please be gentle with me. What are the odds that if I order a new CDI add a new kill switch that everything else will be OK? I live in a remote area so I have to have parts sent up on the bus. The only person that can help me can't come for at least a couple of days. Is the exciter coil the coil that is connected to the spark plug wire,with two connectors,black and black &yellow coming out the other end?Thanks for your time......................Wayne
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Hyman" To: "Wayne Adamson" ; "KLR List" DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 4:02 AM Subject: [DSN_klr650] re: Kill Switch > Wayne, > > You have sent +12 volts improperly through the CDI unit and the > exciter coil in the stator. The CDI and exciter coil may have been > damaged. If there is no spark when you crank the engine, you have > damaged one or more wires or the CDI and/or exciter coil are fried. > The ignition system is a magneto setup, meaning that it does NOT use > any part of the 12 volt system. > > The BLACK/WHITE wire connects the exciter coil (in the stator) to > the CDI and this wires goes to the kill switch and the ignition > switch. In the RUN position, this wire is NOT connected to any > other wires. In the STOP position (kill switch) or the OFF position > (ignition switch), this BLACK/WHITE is grounded (via the > BLACK/YELLOW wire) and the ignition system can't generate any > sparks. > > The wiring diagram shows 4 wires that go to the kill switch: > BLACK/WHITE > BLACK/YELLOW > YELLOW/RED > BROWN > > When the ignition switch is in the ON position, the BROWN wire is > connected to the always hot (+12 volts) WHITE wire. This BROWN wire > feeds +12 volts to the electric starter button. Pressing the > starter switch momentarily feeds +12 volts to the YELLOW/RED wire > that goes to the STARTER CIRCUIT RELAY. > > The ORANGE wire goes from the TURN SIGNAL RELAY to the TURN SIGNAL > SWITCH. > > There is a RED wire (at the ignition switch) that is permanently > connected (U.S. & Canadian models) to a BROWN wire in the HEADLIGHT > switch. > > Before you do any further damage, see if there is a lister nearby > that can help you perform resistance checks on the CDI unit and > exciter coil. See message # 8095 for additional info on CDI > measurements. > > Professor A9 Federal Way, WA. [USA] > > ++++++++++++ > Wayne wrote: > > I was out riding in the bush to-day and somehow the kill switch fell > off my > bike. Just the red part,it must have caught on my wolfman tankbag? > Anybody > ever have this happen? I am going to try and take it apart and cross > the > wires so my bike will start.When I shut it off,it wouldn't start,I > mean the > starter would not engage.Totally dead. Any > suggestions?...........Wayne > > -- 2nd message -- > > Steve,I tried to hot wire the switch and I F-up something,but I'm > not sure > what?I crossed the brown wire with the orange wire, with the white > and black > wire,turned on the key,and fried something? It made a popping > sound,and > started to smell.I shut it off and then connected the orange and > brown > alone,witch I think are the right ones to hot wire? Now the starter > works,but I have to figure out what I fried? I have the tank off,and > the > fairing off,but it was getting to late to continue.I have both > manuals,but I > am not very good at reading electrical diagrams.If anyone can offer > some > advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you > .............Wayne

wayne adamson

kill switch

Post by wayne adamson » Wed May 29, 2002 5:47 pm

Listers, If you have been following my story since yesterday,LISTEN UP. $400.00 for CDI,$72.00 for engine stop switch. This is all in CND $$,plus %14 tax,plus shipping. All this because I made a stupid mistake in trying to hot wire my bike because the kill switch caught on my wolfman tank bag and fell off without my knowledge while riding. I guess it's only money,but it is an expensive lesson! Wayne

mnron2002

kill switch

Post by mnron2002 » Wed May 29, 2002 5:57 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Wayne Adamson" wrote:
> Listers, If you have been following my story since yesterday,LISTEN
UP.
> $400.00 for CDI,$72.00 for engine stop switch. This is all in CND
$$,plus
> %14 tax,plus shipping. All this because I made a stupid mistake in
trying to
> hot wire my bike because the kill switch caught on my wolfman tank
bag and
> fell off without my knowledge while riding. I guess it's only
money,but it
> is an expensive lesson! > Wayne
Wayne, thanks for the lesson. I went out and taped the little loops shut on my Wolfman Explorer. It looks like the culprit is the little side bags. Well, they won't get me. Sorry for the tough lesson learned, though. OUCH!! MNRon

esteban80127

list closed ? !

Post by esteban80127 » Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:37 pm

How can that be? Where will all of the newly converted KLRheads go? If spam is the problem, would opening it with references help? Steve G
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "monahanwb" wrote: > --- In DSN_klr650@y..., "a16jeff" wrote: > > Sold my 2002 KLR650 yesterday and already miss the big lug. It was > a > > great bike but I have spent too much time on beemers. This list was > a > > great resource and I recommended it to the new owner. Thanks Jeff > > Yes, I agree. It's too bad they can't join, according to the > information on the home page.