how far do you go before reserve?

DSN_KLR650
usdoctobe

is 2 up touring possible on the klr?

Post by usdoctobe » Fri May 31, 2002 11:18 am

Hello Last weekend my wife and I took a 200 mile ride on my current little $500 beater cycle. After the ride she TOLD me that the next day we were going to Bob's BMW and buying a new BMW because her rear was hurting her so much. She loves riding but can't stand the passenger perch on the little cycle. I really like the r1150rt and the st1300 honda is coming out with looks great too, but I am in school and trying to put off a purchase like that for a couple more years until after graduation. I just saw that last month someone posted an older KLR set up for touring for sale. I'm pretty sure I missed that sale, but have always wanted a klr and would be much more happy shelling out $3000 than owing the bank the $15000 or more for the new sport tourers. Now it seems obvious to me that a klr is not primarily set up as a long distance slab tourer, though I know it has been used as such by many people. What I want to know is what people who have done some 2 up touring have to say about the KLR. How did the passenger take the rides? Were they willing to get back on the bike ever again? How much difference would a russel or corbin make for the passenger? I would appreciate any input. Thanks, Aaron

PRBKLR@cs.com

Post by PRBKLR@cs.com » Fri May 31, 2002 11:55 am

Aaron, my wife and I have done a couple of long rides (+200 miles). For the driver, its not really a problem, provided your suspension is set accordingly. I would recommend Progressive springs in front, as the front end dive with a passenger onboard is a bit disconcerting. I have a 34" inseam, so balancing the bike was not a problem when we came to a stop. Besides, the passenger lowers the seat height a bit. The bike can handle it just fine. We traveled backroads, hills, highway, trails, etc... without a hitch or hiccup. 75 to 85mph indicated was no problem on open roads. As for the passenger, well, she was willing to get back on. Though she did look longingly at the lady perched on the Goldwing (armrests and all) as they passed us while we were stopped for a break. Saddlesoreness was an issue, but I think it would be for anyone that does not spend a good deal of time on a bike, regardless of how cushy the seat is... The main complaint she had was that her feet were numb and/or tingly after a while due to the vibration of the passenger foot pegs. This can be somewhat alleviated by wearing well cushioned shoes, but it won't solve the problem completely. A backrest would have been a big plus in her mind as well. This could be fashioned fairly easily using the headrest from a small car...Rev. Chuck, who's been offlist for awhile, rigged one up that looked pretty good. You could find this on his website if it is still available. Other than that, she really didn't have any complaints. However, if I planned to do a great deal of touring on a consistant basis, I would consider one of the bigger touring bikes you mentioned. But for the occassional 2 up tour, the KLR is up to the job. Good Luck! Paul A13 Frisco, TX "usdoctobe" wrote:
> >What I want to know is what people who have done some 2 up touring >have to say about the KLR. How did the passenger take the rides? >Were they willing to get back on the bike ever again? How much >difference would a russel or corbin make for the passenger? >

guytal1

Post by guytal1 » Fri May 31, 2002 12:46 pm

>What I want to know is what people who have done some 2 up touring >have to say about the KLR. How did the passenger take the rides?
My wife and I use the KLR for touring every now and then. It works fine for us but we're both fairly "compact" (both of us together weigh just over 250lbs). I set the rear shock to the stiffest position and it still sags quite a bit, which actually makes for a fairly comfortable freeway ride (windshield is more upright, my head a little lower). So, depending on your physical size, it may or may not work for you, but it's certaindy do-able. Guy KLR650 A13

sherparider

Post by sherparider » Fri May 31, 2002 12:52 pm

My wife and I are both much happier with her having her own cycle. You might want to have your wife take the MSF class and find out whether she enjoys driving and whether she'd be safe enough a driver.

mnron2002

Post by mnron2002 » Fri May 31, 2002 1:06 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "usdoctobe" wrote:
> Hello > > Last weekend my wife and I took a 200 mile ride on my current
little
> $500 beater cycle. After the ride she TOLD me that the next day we > were going to Bob's BMW and buying a new BMW because her rear was > hurting her so much. She loves riding but can't stand the
passenger
> perch on the little cycle. > > I really like the r1150rt and the st1300 honda is coming out with > looks great too, but I am in school and trying to put off a
purchase
> like that for a couple more years until after graduation. > > I just saw that last month someone posted an older KLR set up for > touring for sale. I'm pretty sure I missed that sale, but have > always wanted a klr and would be much more happy shelling out $3000 > than owing the bank the $15000 or more for the new sport tourers. > > Now it seems obvious to me that a klr is not primarily set up as a > long distance slab tourer, though I know it has been used as such
by
> many people. > > What I want to know is what people who have done some 2 up touring > have to say about the KLR. How did the passenger take the rides? > Were they willing to get back on the bike ever again? How much > difference would a russel or corbin make for the passenger? > > I would appreciate any input. > > Thanks, > > Aaron
I love my KLR, but I would have considered the Concours (it came down to one or the other, KLR won) if I was going to go two-up. And the price is right as well. Just a thought.... MNRon

kilrcalikawi

Post by kilrcalikawi » Fri May 31, 2002 1:19 pm

I have put almost 4000 miles on my KLR all two up, adding a backrest is a must for the passenger (I use a milkcrate wired down and then strapped down with a ratchet tie down (she loves it), works well for storage too, my new Givi case with backrest is on it's way) and other than the vibration in the footpegs for the passenger it is a fairly comfortable ride, it does require a few more stops to rest than a goldwing probably would but it does work. The stops make the trip more fun anyway, you find yourself stopping at places you would normally just drive by. Trev A16
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "usdoctobe" wrote: > Hello > > Last weekend my wife and I took a 200 mile ride on my current little > $500 beater cycle. After the ride she TOLD me that the next day we > were going to Bob's BMW and buying a new BMW because her rear was > hurting her so much. She loves riding but can't stand the passenger > perch on the little cycle. > > I really like the r1150rt and the st1300 honda is coming out with > looks great too, but I am in school and trying to put off a purchase > like that for a couple more years until after graduation. > > I just saw that last month someone posted an older KLR set up for > touring for sale. I'm pretty sure I missed that sale, but have > always wanted a klr and would be much more happy shelling out $3000 > than owing the bank the $15000 or more for the new sport tourers. > > Now it seems obvious to me that a klr is not primarily set up as a > long distance slab tourer, though I know it has been used as such by > many people. > > What I want to know is what people who have done some 2 up touring > have to say about the KLR. How did the passenger take the rides? > Were they willing to get back on the bike ever again? How much > difference would a russel or corbin make for the passenger? > > I would appreciate any input. > > Thanks, > > Aaron

RM

Post by RM » Fri May 31, 2002 1:26 pm

On Fri, 31 May 2002, usdoctobe wrote:
>What I want to know is what people who have done some 2 up touring have >to say about the KLR. How did the passenger take the rides? Were they >willing to get back on the bike ever again? How much difference would a >russel or corbin make for the passenger?
The KLR is fine for playing around 2-up for hours. I would NOT attempt to take a lady-friend on a multi-state tour on a KLR, regardless of saddle modifications. The one possible exception is if she's 5' 0" and weighs not an ounce over 110lbs, and even then she probably won't be too happy. If you manage to find a ~110lbs lady friend who will ride on the back of your KLR for 1500 miles, you NEED to marry her. Or, you could just find a 110lb woman that you hate and buy her a house. In the end, it all works out the same. RM

twowheelwandering

Post by twowheelwandering » Fri May 31, 2002 1:39 pm

Lemme get this straight - -your wife did 200 miles on your little beater in the first place -you're in school and not flush... -you've wanted a KLR anyway... I would say - do you want to do dirt? If you and your wife are of reasonable size, you'll easily fit on the KLR. The smaller each of you are, the more luggage you can carry - not sure if you meant day riding or multi day touring. I think the KLR is the perfect bike for two up dirt - obviously its more limited than 1 up, but if you turn your passenger onto dirt, you'll have a whole bunch of fun together. Only tip - replace both front and rear pegs with dirtbike style pegs, it will give her a lot more confidence when you are both standing. I would change out the rear shock if you're serious about it, and another seat is almost necessary. Keep in mind you can get kits or auto upholsterers to redo your seat, many of them do bikes or can tell you who does... If you're buying it so you can do solo off road as well, I would still say go for it and don't worry about the passenger pegs (still change out yours). If you're going to stay on-road, I think there would be a lot more dirt cheap multicylinders with good seating out there that would be way better value than the KLR. For what its worth. Rich www.geocities.com/twowheelwandering The above assumes you WANT to ride with your wife. If not, I would lean towards the DRZ-400. 20 miles 2-up on that fence post of a seat and you'll be riding solo again.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "usdoctobe" wrote: > Hello > > Last weekend my wife and I took a 200 mile ride on my current little > $500 beater cycle. After the ride she TOLD me that the next day we > were going to Bob's BMW and buying a new BMW because her rear was > hurting her so much. She loves riding but can't stand the passenger > perch on the little cycle. > > I really like the r1150rt and the st1300 honda is coming out with > looks great too, but I am in school and trying to put off a purchase > like that for a couple more years until after graduation. > > I just saw that last month someone posted an older KLR set up for > touring for sale. I'm pretty sure I missed that sale, but have > always wanted a klr and would be much more happy shelling out $3000 > than owing the bank the $15000 or more for the new sport tourers. > > Now it seems obvious to me that a klr is not primarily set up as a > long distance slab tourer, though I know it has been used as such by > many people. > > What I want to know is what people who have done some 2 up touring > have to say about the KLR. How did the passenger take the rides? > Were they willing to get back on the bike ever again? How much > difference would a russel or corbin make for the passenger? > > I would appreciate any input. > > Thanks, > > Aaron

judjonzz

Post by judjonzz » Fri May 31, 2002 1:56 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "sherparider" wrote:
> My wife and I are both much happier with her having her own cycle. > You might want to have your wife take the MSF class and find out > whether she enjoys driving and whether she'd be safe enough a
driver. I think sherparider has got the right idea. I think the only time you really want a woman on the back of your bike is if you haven't had sex with her, but hope to. If you're married, that is probably not the situation. Actually, my GF and I got together in part because she saw some pictures of one of my trailriding adventures, and she seemed eager to learn. She did get on the back of my bike a couple of times, but soon got her own. She took the MSF course, found a GS425 for $225, and started going to rallies with me. She caught on quickly, and was dead game for a brisk sport-touring pace, until the Suzuki melted a piston on the way to Sturgis. Then we found her a good price on a high-mile R80ST, which suits her perfectly. BTW, it came with steel ammo cans for saddlebags, and a bashplate made from a shovel. It has been off-road some. Her BMW is down at the moment for a valve job, and she is really bugging me to get it done, but my machinist is in the middle of moving his shop. Meanwhile, I'm looking for a cheap, small-displacement dirt bike for her. Had her out in the Cheyenne River breaks last weekend and she was going like a bat out of hell across the prairie on my buddy's XR200. Anyway, the moral is, we have a lot of fun. The heck with two-up touring.

Steven van Twuyver

how far do you go before reserve?

Post by Steven van Twuyver » Sat Jun 01, 2002 11:36 am

> I usually have to switch to reserve at 225 miles and it takes 4.8 > gals to fill my A15. You could probably find a petcock with a shorter > reserve tube or modify the one that's in the bike. Personally I like > the fact that my KLR has a 50+ mile reserve capacity in case I brain > cramp and forget how much fuel I have in the tank. Besides, can > anyone ride their KLR for more than 200 miles without getting off for > a rest?? You're a lot tougher than I am if you can.
Keep in mind that riding style, load, and which part of the country you buy fuel in make a significant difference in fuel economy. In Northern Canada, where the speed limit is roughly 60mph(100km) and the gas is excellent quality I was getting approximately 60MPG and did several stretches of 240+ miles without going on reserve. Through Washington and Oregon I was getting 50MPG - driving a little faster. When I hit California, it went to 40MPG which I attribute to fuel quality alone since it never went any higher the entire length of the state. I've noticed similar drops in fuel mileage on other bikes commng from Arizona into California. -svt-