nklr - aaa towing . . . available in california

DSN_KLR650
Jam_nut

klr650 vs. dr650se

Post by Jam_nut » Mon May 13, 2002 10:33 am

Well, I'm here to ask the experts. I am just about to pruchase a big bore dual purpose bike to add to my collection. I am looking for input as to the best bike for me. Here are the details: 1. 18 years riding experience on sport bikes(considered above agerage) 2. 4 years riding experience on dirt (18 years ago) 3. Plan on 50% pavement riding and 50% dirt road and trails (no heavy motorcrossing) 4. Can get a new 2002 KLR650 for $4,595 or new 2002 DR650SE for $4,195 The $400 savings on the DR is very attractive. I also like to looks better (just my opinion), however I've heard that the KLR is a better overall bike. All comments are very appreciated.

ridecaptan

klr650 vs. dr650se

Post by ridecaptan » Mon May 13, 2002 12:03 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Jam_nut" wrote:
> Well, I'm here to ask the experts. I am just about to pruchase a
big
> bore dual purpose bike to add to my collection. I am looking for > input as to the best bike for me. Here are the details: > > 1. 18 years riding experience on sport bikes(considered above
agerage)
> 2. 4 years riding experience on dirt (18 years ago) > 3. Plan on 50% pavement riding and 50% dirt road and trails (no
heavy
> motorcrossing) > 4. Can get a new 2002 KLR650 for $4,595 or new 2002 DR650SE for
$4,195
> > The $400 savings on the DR is very attractive. I also like to
looks
> better (just my opinion), however I've heard that the KLR is a
better
> overall bike. > > All comments are very appreciated.
For your planned use, I think the KLR would be your best choice. Don't get me wrong, the DR is a great bike. But I'm told that they are not as good on the street ie uncomfortable seat, lack of wind protection. I can't tell you this from experience as I have never ridden one. I did own it's little brother though, the DRZ400s. Sweet dual sport bike, but again not as street friendly. I am quite happy with the KLR. Plenty of power ie torque, comfy seat, good wind protection, and is a lot of fun off-road. For trail riding, you do need to add some armor, but the same can be said for the DR. And one other thing, aftermarket. There is virtually no aftermarket support for the DR, quite to the contrary for the KLR, loads of aftermarket goodies. Ed A15

alaska_rider

klr650 vs. dr650se

Post by alaska_rider » Mon May 13, 2002 12:04 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Jam_nut" wrote:
> Well, I'm here to ask the experts. I am just about to pruchase a
big
> bore dual purpose bike to add to my collection. I am looking for > input as to the best bike for me. Here are the details: > > 1. 18 years riding experience on sport bikes(considered above
agerage)
> 2. 4 years riding experience on dirt (18 years ago) > 3. Plan on 50% pavement riding and 50% dirt road and trails (no
heavy
> motorcrossing) > 4. Can get a new 2002 KLR650 for $4,595 or new 2002 DR650SE for
$4,195
> > The $400 savings on the DR is very attractive. I also like to
looks
> better (just my opinion), however I've heard that the KLR is a
better
> overall bike. > > All comments are very appreciated.
Those are some excellent prices on both bikes. The KLR has more of an aftermarket following so it is easier to taylor the bike just to your liking. The largest tank available for the DR is a 5 gal unit form IMS. This falls short of the stock 6.1 gal tank the KLR comes stock with. The DR is better in the dirt but the KLR is generally though of as a better all around bike since it is more comfortable for long trips on pavement yet it can still go offroad. The DR suffers some for long road trips. Depends on your priorities. I agree with you about the looks, the DR looks a lot better and more modern. The army green on the KLR has really grown on me though. Scott A16

Motorcycle_Dan

klr650 vs. dr650se

Post by Motorcycle_Dan » Mon May 13, 2002 2:06 pm

> looking for input as to the best bike for me.
You came to the KLR list for an "unbiased" opinion of best dual sport. Yeah, your likely to get that. Like asking a group of Muslim's who their favorite profit is. For Me the KLR.
> 3. Plan on 50% pavement riding and 50% dirt road and trails
50/50 get the Zook. (and don't come back here complain'n bout how uncomfortable and buzzy it is on the freeway) Would be nice to know your inseam. If you don't mind a tall bike I'd go with the DRZ400. Far better trail riding. But I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect bike. Just keep buy'n them and never sell them till you collect more than you can keep track of. Dan /|\

Tengai650

klr650 vs. dr650se

Post by Tengai650 » Mon May 13, 2002 3:04 pm

>--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Jam_nut" wrote: >> DR is very attractive. I also like to >looks >> better (just my opinion), however I've heard that the KLR is a >better >> overall bike.
I think the build quality, fit & finish of the DR is better, but the KLR is a more versatile bike and would probably enjoy greater longevity of use. Aftermarket support seems about the same. Mark B2 A2 A3

gpokluda

klr650 vs. dr650se

Post by gpokluda » Mon May 13, 2002 3:49 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Tengai650 wrote:
> I think the build quality, fit & finish of the DR is better, but
the
> KLR is a more versatile bike and would probably enjoy greater > longevity of use. > Aftermarket support seems about the same. > Mark
As an FYI about the DR650. Five Stars does offer a full line of accessories for the DR including engine guards, center stand, top rack and side racks. Gino

judjonzz

klr650 vs. dr650se

Post by judjonzz » Mon May 13, 2002 5:07 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Motorcycle_Dan" wrote:
> > go with the DRZ400. Far better trail riding. But I don't think > there is such a thing as a perfect bike. Just keep buy'n them
and
> never sell them till you collect more than you can keep track of. > Dan
My $.02 on the choice between the DR and the KLR. I feel qualified to comment as the owner of both a DR and a KLR. Although the '90, kickstart-only DR650 is a beater, it has better suspension, and handles better than my "98 KLR, both on and off road. Neither one is a trail bike, though. If you want a street-legal trail bike, do like Dan says, get the DRZ400. I decided on a new KLR, bought the '98 because a good deal turned up. If the deal had been a DR650, I'd have bought it, spent money on a seat before other things. There's a lot of overlap, and not too many places you could ride one and not the other.

Frosty

klr650 vs. dr650se

Post by Frosty » Mon May 13, 2002 10:24 pm

Rode both, bought the KLR. Buddy I go riding with has the DR650, he walks away from me in the sand and I walk away from him on the street. frosty -----Original Message----- From: Jam_nut [mailto:jam_nut@...] Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 8:32 AM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] KLR650 vs. DR650SE Well, I'm here to ask the experts. I am just about to pruchase a big bore dual purpose bike to add to my collection. I am looking for input as to the best bike for me. Here are the details: 1. 18 years riding experience on sport bikes(considered above agerage) 2. 4 years riding experience on dirt (18 years ago) 3. Plan on 50% pavement riding and 50% dirt road and trails (no heavy motorcrossing) 4. Can get a new 2002 KLR650 for $4,595 or new 2002 DR650SE for $4,195 The $400 savings on the DR is very attractive. I also like to looks better (just my opinion), however I've heard that the KLR is a better overall bike. All comments are very appreciated. Checkout Dual Sport News at http://www.dualsportnews.com Be part of the Adventure! Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Zensurweb Admin

klr650 vs. dr650se

Post by Zensurweb Admin » Tue May 14, 2002 5:16 pm

I went to a dealer at lunchtime and they had both bikes side by side. The KLR looks huge in comparison to the DR650 (optical illusion caused by the gas tank). The DR650 has a very off road type seat that stretches way over the gas tank which I would think would help when trying to move around off road. It also has a much narrower seat which felt pretty uncomfortable compared to the KLR but must be a lot better for standing up riding. The DR650 has virtually no wind protection and a very basic instrument panel. You sit on the DR650 and in the KLR. I can now see why people say the KLR is more road biased (better road ergo's, comfort, wind protection, bigger gas tank) and the DR650 more dirt biased (off road seating, minimal plastics and instruments). The Dr650 felt like a dirt bike with a Dual sport package. The KLR feels like an adventure tourer. I didnt get to ride the DR650 but I would imagine they would be a bit uncomfortable on the freeway. Does anyone know if the DR650 has more HP than the KLR ? I also spotted a KTM640LC which is similar to the DR650 in many respects but a bit better finished. I couldnt see it being $2000 better than our bikes though. I believe it has an extra 15 ponies over the KLR and it is about 20 pounds lighter though. Mark KLR650A13 ZX6RJ1 -----Original Message----- From: gpokluda [mailto:k650dsn@...] Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 1:50 PM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Re: KLR650 vs. DR650SE
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., Tengai650 wrote: > I think the build quality, fit & finish of the DR is better, but the > KLR is a more versatile bike and would probably enjoy greater > longevity of use. > Aftermarket support seems about the same. > Mark As an FYI about the DR650. Five Stars does offer a full line of accessories for the DR including engine guards, center stand, top rack and side racks. Gino Checkout Dual Sport News at http://www.dualsportnews.com Be part of the Adventure! Visit the KLR650 archives at http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Devon Jarvis

klr650 vs. dr650se

Post by Devon Jarvis » Tue May 14, 2002 8:25 pm

The KTM is about 40lb lighter, 15hp more, 5mm bigger diameter forks, narrower, taller, better brakes, better suspension, etc. Sprinkle $2000 onto a KLR, upgrading most of the components a little bit and some a lot, and there you go. Oh, and put it together carefully at the factory as well. Unlike the KLR. Devon A15 (ridden Tumu's KTM640 a little bit) zensurweb admin wrote:
> I went to a dealer at lunchtime and they had both bikes side by side. > I also spotted a KTM640LC which is similar to the DR650 in many respects but > a bit better finished. I couldnt see it being $2000 better than our bikes > though. I believe it has an extra 15 ponies over the KLR and it is about 20 > pounds lighter though. > > Mark > > KLR650A13 > ZX6RJ1