newbie: foot amputated after wreck (was might purchase klr650 99')

DSN_KLR650
Will Conway

newbie: might purchase 99' klr650, what do you think?

Post by Will Conway » Tue May 14, 2002 5:34 pm

1999 KLR 650 only 1678 miles I went to a nearby Kawasaki / John Deere Tractor dealer, (odd combo, must like green) and asked if they have a KLR650. (Nice and friendly folks there) He said there is a used one in back, behind some used ATVs, for $2500. Mmm... I thought I was looking to save and finance my way into a new 2003 in a few months. I am looking for my first motorcycle, and I'm bound to drop a bike while riding off road. Why not get a used bike that's been dropped for a lot less? Well, turns out that the bike was repossessed and there wasn't history on the maintenance. It looks like it was dropped more than once on concrete and the guy couldn't make payments. It fired up on command, and didn't make any chirp, ping, or rattle while riding around the parking lot. Felt good as I can tell. After looking the bike over thoroughly, I found scratches on the right and left duct thingies below the tank, a sheared bolt on the rear rack, left hand guard broken off, torn grips, worn rear tire, and odd wear marks on the outer sides of the rear fender tip (please explain that one please (wheelies?)). The muffler wasn't stock, and wasn't fully sealed at the front (missing a clamp of some sort). But, I'd replace the muffler with stock model, get new grips, bark busters, 70/30 road/ dirt tires anyway. What could I possibly be out? I fear this bike may have been run ragged because of the heavy amount of rear tire wear. Is it normal to have less than 2/32nds of tread on the rear after 1600+ miles. I just don't get this bike's story. Maybe the guy blew a tire, wrecked the bike on the interstate, lost his job due to the bike injury, and had it repossessed. On the good side, the tank didn't have a scratch or dent, the plastic bash plate didn't have cracks or scratches (never off road?), turn signals worked and were attached properly, but the headlight wasn't on. Neutral indicator lit up. The frame didn't appear to have any dentsor damage. She started immediately, and the only damaged parts were inexpensive or cosmetic parts that I'd replace at sometime or another by preference. I think I just sold myself a KLR, but for what price and how would I negotiate? If everything appears to be working properly, how should I have the bike inspected thoroughly for long term maintenance and personal safety before I buy? Sorry about my lengthy first post, but I want to be a member of the KLR community. Thanks for the info, Will [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

gregpaul

Post by gregpaul » Tue May 14, 2002 6:24 pm

Sounds like a damn good price. The weird marks on the rear fender are probably from bottoming out the rear shock and catching the fender and possibly pulling it back under itself. Is the rear tire the stock tire? If not and it's a knobby, the pavement will strip a knobby down pretty quickly. The headlight is probably a fuse under the seat. If you drop the bike on either side the first things to go are the plastic brush guards and grips. Trust that I know. :) Have the dealer throw in a valve adjust.... on second thought do it right; do it yourself. Have the dealer warranty it for a year and offer them $2000. You have a great bargaining chip by reminding them what "HORRIBLE" shape the bike is in. The KLR is an extremely rugged and forgiving bike so without major damage showing you are probably in good shape. I paid $3000 for a '97 last September with 4000 miles and was "delighted". If nothing else you should be able to ride it for a couple of years, get your money back out of it and buy a brand new 2004! :-))) Greg in Dallas
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "Will Conway" wrote: > 1999 KLR 650 > only 1678 miles > > I went to a nearby Kawasaki / John Deere Tractor dealer, (odd combo, must like green) and asked if they have a KLR650. (Nice and friendly folks there) He said there is a used one in back, behind some used ATVs, for $2500. Mmm... I thought I was looking to save and finance my way into a new 2003 in a few months. I am looking for my first motorcycle, and I'm bound to drop a bike while riding off road. Why not get a used bike that's been dropped for a lot less? > > Well, turns out that the bike was repossessed and there wasn't history on the maintenance. It looks like it was dropped more than once on concrete and the guy couldn't make payments. It fired up on command, and didn't make any chirp, ping, or rattle while riding around the parking lot. Felt good as I can tell. After looking the bike over thoroughly, I found scratches on the right and left duct thingies below the tank, a sheared bolt on the rear rack, left hand guard broken off, torn grips, worn rear tire, and odd wear marks on the outer sides of the rear fender tip (please explain that one please (wheelies?)). The muffler wasn't stock, and wasn't fully sealed at the front (missing a clamp of some sort). But, I'd replace the muffler with stock model, get new grips, bark busters, 70/30 road/ dirt tires anyway. What could I possibly be out? I fear this bike may have been run ragged because of the heavy amount of rear tire wear. Is it normal to have less than 2/32nds of tread on the rear after 1600+ miles. > > I just don't get this bike's story. Maybe the guy blew a tire, wrecked the bike on the interstate, lost his job due to the bike injury, and had it repossessed. > > On the good side, the tank didn't have a scratch or dent, the plastic bash plate didn't have cracks or scratches (never off road?), turn signals worked and were attached properly, but the headlight wasn't on. Neutral indicator lit up. The frame didn't appear to have any dentsor damage. She started immediately, and the only damaged parts were inexpensive or cosmetic parts that I'd replace at sometime or another by preference. > > I think I just sold myself a KLR, but for what price and how would I negotiate? > > If everything appears to be working properly, how should I have the bike inspected thoroughly for long term maintenance and personal safety before I buy? > > Sorry about my lengthy first post, but I want to be a member of the KLR community. > > Thanks for the info, > Will > > > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Miata Myk

Post by Miata Myk » Wed May 15, 2002 5:17 am

Way too much. I paid $2,500 for a '99 A13 10-months ago. It had about 1800-2000 miles on it and was missing the plastic handguards and had a small mark on the left fairing (probably dropped lightly on left side, broke the handguard which is worthless anyhow and took the other off to match). Otherwise this machine was spotless. For the disaster that you are looking at try $1600 or less.

David Critchley

Post by David Critchley » Wed May 15, 2002 12:43 pm

Strangely enough, the local JD dealer in Fort Saskatchewan ,Alberta, has recently become our local Kawasaki dealer, could this be part of a trend ? Is the KLR really agricultural equipment ? Stay tuned for further developments, and remember, you saw it here first !!! Welcome aboard, David C

kilrcalikawi

Post by kilrcalikawi » Wed May 15, 2002 1:19 pm

Kawasaki makes utility vehicles as well as many other things, like welding robots and all kinds of other fun stuff, not just motorcycles, may expalain the dealer selling both lines of equipment a little better.
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., David Critchley wrote: > Strangely enough, the local JD dealer in Fort Saskatchewan ,Alberta, has > recently become our local Kawasaki dealer, could this be part of a trend > ? > Is the KLR really agricultural equipment ? Stay tuned for further > developments, and remember, you saw it here first !!! > Welcome aboard, > David C

Will Conway

newbie: foot amputated after wreck (was might purchase klr650 99')

Post by Will Conway » Thu May 16, 2002 8:49 am

original thread was "Newbie: Might Purchase 99' KLR650, What do you think? I found out that my story about the bike wasn't too far off. The dealer bought the bike off a guy (had it sitting in his garage) and sold ot to some young guy. The kid got high, went out and flipped the bike. As a result of the injuries sustained by the wreck, they amputated his foot. Ummm... This explains the rear fender damage that I originally posted. The dealer then repossessed the bike, and is trying to sell it to me. The dealer has had it for 4 months, and said he may put it to auction soon. I worry about frame damage that may have occured. None that I can see. Internal damage, how could I check. (thanks for the one tip Jake Sagebrush) He said he'd give me 50/50 30day warranty, and for me to call back with a price that I feel is reasonable. Again, this guy seems friendly, has a firm handshake, and looks you straight in the eye. I feel I can trust him, but I know that paper has a lot more power than a handshake now. I think I want to start the bid war at $1500. (remember, he said $2500 at first look). This bike needs some small work, but appears mechanically sound. More pointers would help. Will Here's my original post. 1999 KLR 650 only 1678 miles I went to a nearby Kawasaki / John Deere Tractor dealer, (odd combo, must like green) and asked if they have a KLR650. (Nice and friendly folks there) He said there is a used one in back, behind some used ATVs, for $2500. Mmm... I thought I was looking to save and finance my way into a new 2003 in a few months. I am looking for my first motorcycle, and I'm bound to drop a bike while riding off road. Why not get a used bike that's been dropped for a lot less? Well, turns out that the bike was repossessed and there wasn't history on the maintenance. It looks like it was dropped more than once on concrete and the guy couldn't make payments. It fired up on command, and didn't make any chirp, ping, or rattle while riding around the parking lot. Felt good as I can tell. After looking the bike over thoroughly, I found scratches on the right and left duct thingies below the tank, a sheared bolt on the rear rack, left hand guard broken off, torn grips, worn rear tire, and odd wear marks on the outer sides of the rear fender tip (please explain that one please (wheelies?)). The muffler wasn't stock, and wasn't fully sealed at the front (missing a clamp of some sort). But, I'd replace the muffler with stock model, get new grips, bark busters, 70/30 road/ dirt tires anyway. What could I possibly be out? I fear this bike may have been run ragged because of the heavy amount of rear tire wear. Is it normal to have less than 2/32nds of tread on the rear after 1600+ miles. I just don't get this bike's story. Maybe the guy blew a tire, wrecked the bike on the interstate, lost his job due to the bike injury, and had it repossessed. On the good side, the tank didn't have a scratch or dent, the plastic bash plate didn't have cracks or scratches (never off road?), turn signals worked and were attached properly, but the headlight wasn't on. Neutral indicator lit up. The frame didn't appear to have any dentsor damage. She started immediately, and the only damaged parts were inexpensive or cosmetic parts that I'd replace at sometime or another by preference. I think I just sold myself a KLR, but for what price and how would I negotiate? If everything appears to be working properly, how should I have the bike inspected thoroughly for long term maintenance and personal safety before I buy? Sorry about my lengthy first post, but I want to be a member of the KLR community. Thanks for the info, Will [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]