how much clearance between front fender and frame? steering fee

DSN_KLR650
stutzman44610

first oil change

Post by stutzman44610 » Sun Mar 17, 2002 5:01 pm

I've got about 800 miles on my new 02klr , when do you all recomend to make the first oil change and what oil?

Conall O'Brien

first oil change

Post by Conall O'Brien » Sun Mar 17, 2002 5:25 pm

>From: "stutzman44610" >To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com >Subject: [DSN_klr650] first oil change >Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:01:24 -0000 > >I've got about 800 miles on my new 02klr , when do you all recomend >to make the first oil change and what oil? > >
My personal preference would be to change it now with Castrol GTX 20-50W. Then every 1500 miles for the next 4500 miles to break it in. If you want you could stay with Castrol with 3000 mile change intervals, changing the oil filter every 6000 miles. Conall- no more delvac for me thanks 95 KLR _________________________________________________________________ Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

toomanybikes

first oil change

Post by toomanybikes » Sun Mar 17, 2002 5:28 pm

Do it yesterday. I think I posted my comments about my 1st oil change for my Duke to the wrong list. It was recommended at 600 miles along with the valve check which is next on the agenda. The KLR will get some riding this week. Interesting thing about the Duke is that it came with synthtic Shell 4 in it. I was going to use Dead Dino juice but since it had synthetic in it I added Mobil 1 15/50. --- stutzman44610 wrote:
> I've got about 800 miles on my new 02klr , when do > you all recomend > to make the first oil change and what oil? > > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Sports - live college hoops coverage http://sports.yahoo.com/

Devon Jarvis

first oil change

Post by Devon Jarvis » Sun Mar 17, 2002 5:47 pm

Conall, Why no Delvac? what problems have you had? BTW the 3,000mi oil change interval just counts for street-only riding in my opinion. You should do it twice as often if the bike sees much trail riding. Use cheaper oil, since almost anything will work fine for 1000-1500 mi. Though GTX is an excellent oil, and cheap as well. Maybe it's cheaper at Costco than the Delvac, I haven't looked. Devon A15 Conall O'Brien wrote:
> >From: "stutzman44610" > >To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > >Subject: [DSN_klr650] first oil change > >Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:01:24 -0000 > > > >I've got about 800 miles on my new 02klr , when do you all recomend > >to make the first oil change and what oil? > > > > > > My personal preference would be to change it now with Castrol GTX 20-50W. > Then every 1500 miles for the next 4500 miles to break it in. If you want > you could stay with Castrol with 3000 mile change intervals, changing the > oil filter every 6000 miles. > > Conall- no more delvac for me thanks > 95 KLR

RM

first oil change

Post by RM » Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:11 am

On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Devon Jarvis wrote:
> BTW the 3,000mi oil change interval just counts for street-only >riding in my opinion. You should do it twice as often if the bike sees >much trail riding. Use cheaper oil, since almost anything will work fine >for 1000-1500 mi.
Based on my oil analysis results, I would consider 3k an absolute maximum for any oil in a KLR, synth or otherwise. RM

Conall O'Brien

first oil change

Post by Conall O'Brien » Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:07 pm

I don't really automatically trust everything I've been told, but the reason I probably won't use Delvac diesel oil anymore is... Elden Carl tore into my old KLR motor with approx 90,000 miles and reported that there was lots of carbon buildup. I used Delvac for the last half of the motors usage and Elden and I suspect that the additive package for these diesel engine oils, like Delvac, may not be the best for motorcycles. Don't know for sure though. Conall
>From: Devon Jarvis >Reply-To: jarvisd@... >To: "DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com" DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> >Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] first oil change >Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 18:44:43 -0500 > >Conall, > > Why no Delvac? what problems have you had? > > BTW the 3,000mi oil change interval just counts for street-only riding >in my opinion. You should do it twice as often if the bike sees much trail >riding. Use cheaper oil, since almost anything will work fine for 1000-1500 >mi. Though GTX is an excellent oil, and cheap as well. Maybe it's cheaper >at >Costco than the Delvac, I haven't looked. > >Devon >A15 > >Conall O'Brien wrote: > > > >From: "stutzman44610" > > >To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > > >Subject: [DSN_klr650] first oil change > > >Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:01:24 -0000 > > > > > >I've got about 800 miles on my new 02klr , when do you all recomend > > >to make the first oil change and what oil? > > > > > > > > > > My personal preference would be to change it now with Castrol GTX >20-50W. > > Then every 1500 miles for the next 4500 miles to break it in. If you >want > > you could stay with Castrol with 3000 mile change intervals, changing >the > > oil filter every 6000 miles. > > > > Conall- no more delvac for me thanks > > 95 KLR > >
_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx

RM

first oil change

Post by RM » Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:36 am

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Conall O'Brien wrote:
>I don't really automatically trust everything I've been told, but the >reason I probably won't use Delvac diesel oil anymore is... Elden Carl >tore into my old KLR motor with approx 90,000 miles and reported that >there was lots of carbon buildup. I used Delvac for the last half of the >motors usage and Elden and I suspect that the additive package for these >diesel engine oils, like Delvac, may not be the best for motorcycles. >Don't know for sure though.
I think that after 90k miles, the rings are pretty much toast and carbon/sludge buildup in the engine is going to be inevitable thanks to the increased blowby of combustion gasses. If anything, getting 90k miles is a testament to doing something right. What were your drain intervals?

Ryan Newman

first oil change

Post by Ryan Newman » Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:48 pm

> >I don't really automatically trust everything I've been told, but the > >reason I probably won't use Delvac diesel oil anymore is... Elden Carl > >tore into my old KLR motor with approx 90,000 miles and reported that > >there was lots of carbon buildup. I used Delvac for the last half of the > >motors usage and Elden and I suspect that the additive package for these > >diesel engine oils, like Delvac, may not be the best for motorcycles. > >Don't know for sure though.
Whoa! You got 90,000 miles out of the engine? Heck, with a testament like that, I may just switch to Delvac. And I was going to be happy to get 60k on my bike. I only have 5k on my 99' right now, I've got a LOT of riding to do. I have also heard of other people swearing by Deisel motor oil, not only for bikes, but passenger cars as well. Ryan

Conall O'Brien

first oil change

Post by Conall O'Brien » Fri Mar 22, 2002 5:29 pm

Right, carbon buildup in the chamber. Conall
>From: Devon Jarvis >To: Conall O'Brien >Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] first oil change >Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:28:52 -0500 > >Conall, > > Carbon buildup? Do you mean sludge inside the crankcase, or carbon >buildup in the combustion chamber? > >Devon > >Conall O'Brien wrote: > > > > I don't really automatically trust everything I've been told, but the >reason > > I probably won't use Delvac diesel oil anymore is... Elden Carl tore >into my > > old KLR motor with approx 90,000 miles and reported that there was lots >of > > carbon buildup. I used Delvac for the last half of the motors usage and > > Elden and I suspect that the additive package for these diesel engine >oils, > > like Delvac, may not be the best for motorcycles. Don't know for sure > > though. > > Conall
_________________________________________________________________ Join the world s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. http://www.hotmail.com

Conall O'Brien

first oil change

Post by Conall O'Brien » Fri Mar 22, 2002 5:32 pm

>From: RM >CC: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> >Subject: Re: [DSN_klr650] first oil change >Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 11:36:22 -0600 (CST) > > >On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Conall O'Brien wrote: > > >I don't really automatically trust everything I've been told, but the > >reason I probably won't use Delvac diesel oil anymore is... Elden Carl > >tore into my old KLR motor with approx 90,000 miles and reported that > >there was lots of carbon buildup. I used Delvac for the last half of the > >motors usage and Elden and I suspect that the additive package for these > >diesel engine oils, like Delvac, may not be the best for motorcycles. > >Don't know for sure though. > >I think that after 90k miles, the rings are pretty much toast and >carbon/sludge buildup in the engine is going to be inevitable thanks to >the increased blowby of combustion gasses. > >If anything, getting 90k miles is a testament to doing something right. >What were your drain intervals? > > > >
Very Irregular, sometimes not very frequently..longer than 6000 miles. Conall _________________________________________________________________ Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com