klr650 1999 for sale in montreal quebec for 2800$cnd

DSN_KLR650
imperial-4776@webtv.net

rust practicals in the gas tank

Post by imperial-4776@webtv.net » Sat Apr 06, 2002 6:24 pm

My wifes Super Sherpa has rust in her gas tank. I have on a couple of occasions taken the tank off and swirled the gas around, and then dumped it, in the hopes of removing all the rust practicals and flakes. But there are still practicals in there, and they have now worked there way into the carb float bowl and have blocked the jet. I have taken the carb off and cleaned it thoroughly (big pain in the neck), ... right now the bikes is running, and has fresh petrol in her, but I know that sooner or later, some of those practicals are going to work there way back into the carb. Is there another way of cleaning out the gas tank, rather than just swirling and shaking the tank. TIA Dave Salem OR

ridecaptan

Post by ridecaptan » Sat Apr 06, 2002 6:36 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., imperial-4776@w... wrote:
> > My wifes Super Sherpa has rust in her gas tank. I have on a couple
of
> occasions taken the tank off and swirled the gas around, and then
dumped
> it, in the hopes of removing all the rust practicals and flakes.
But
> there are still practicals in there, and they have now worked
there way
> into the carb float bowl and have blocked the jet. > > I have taken the carb off and cleaned it thoroughly (big pain in
the
> neck), ... right now the bikes is running, and has fresh petrol
in her,
> but I know that sooner or later, some of those practicals are
going to
> work there way back into the carb. > > Is there another way of cleaning out the gas tank, rather than just > swirling and shaking the tank. > > TIA > Dave > Salem OR
Why not get an inline gas filter. It will solve your problems. I have heard when storing a bike for any lenght of time, to fill the tank up, so that condensation cannot form inside the tank. Ed

Mark St.Hilaire, Sr

Post by Mark St.Hilaire, Sr » Sat Apr 06, 2002 10:51 pm

> Why not get an inline gas filter. It will solve your problems. I > have heard when storing a bike for any lenght of time, to fill the > tank up, so that condensation cannot form inside the tank.
I agree. I believe we should ALL have filters installed, and filling the tank with gas that has been treated with Sta-Bil is the best thing to do. Run the bike to be sure the Sta-Bil gas has replaced whatever might be in the carb and you're good to go. Wise men still seek Him... Mark St.Hilaire, Sr A15 My Adelphia Email can be "iffy." If you don't get a response, please try: KLR6500@... HomePage: http://home.adelphia.net/~msaint/index.html KLR650 Motorcycle Pages: http://klr6500.tripod.com/

Ted Palmer

Post by Ted Palmer » Sun Apr 07, 2002 8:51 am

Dave (imperial-4776@...) wrote:
> My wifes Super Sherpa has rust in her gas tank.
[...]
> Is there another way of cleaning out the gas tank, rather than just > swirling and shaking the tank.
You could put some nuts and bolts in the tank and swirl those around, but even if you clean it out, you will likely have bare steel exposed that will rust eventually. You might want to investigate the various tank sealers out there, like "Kreem", which put an epoxy-type coating inside that tank. The procedure can be somewhat messy and smelly, but the fix is a lot more permanent than waiting for the seams to rust through. Mister_T Melbourne Australia

ydnaandyca

klr650 1999 for sale in montreal quebec for 2800$cnd

Post by ydnaandyca » Sun Apr 07, 2002 9:32 am

Hi, I would like to sell my Klr, is anyone interrested? http://www3.sympatico.ca/andre.roy3/Image.JPG -1999, 30,000Km fully functionnal in good condition. -It got an acerbis plastic gas tank and Happy trail's side racks! Please contact me for more details; emailto:andre.roy3@...