noisy valves?

DSN_KLR650
aches70546

riding alone

Post by aches70546 » Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:08 pm

Well, it's cool if you have people doing and going the same direction as you but not always the thing. I spend about 99 percent of my riding alone. But, in doing this you have to add extra causion and give it up on some places you want to go. I was in a situation like that a few years ago doing the TAT Arkansas on my DR350SE with full camping gear and clothing strapped on the seat and luggage rack behind me. The day before I had been running thru 3 to 6 inch dust in the valleys of Central Arkansas. That night , while I was camping in Mohawk Park, the rains came. The next morning it turned all this dust into very slippery snot. Even with fairly fresh Kenda 270's on the bike it was slipping and sliding all over the place. I was thinking that if I went down ( and chances of this happening were getting better all the time )that no one would find me for a long time, phones don't work in the valleys, So, much to my regret I gave it up and turned around and got back on the highway and headed home. Was a 522 mile day all together on the DR350 and most of it in the rain. Did go back later on the KLR and finished the TAT though with better weather. Heck at 58 years old ya gotta know when to fold them ha ha ha.... Andy Cajun Country

TLrydr@aol.com

riding alone

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:30 pm

In a message dated 3/5/02 10:13:50 PM EST, achesley@... writes: << Heck at 58 years old ya gotta know when to fold them ha ha ha... >> way to go, I hope to be riding at 58. Keep it up and do it now, Mike

leroy_cope

riding alone

Post by leroy_cope » Wed Mar 06, 2002 8:03 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., TLrydr@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 3/5/02 10:13:50 PM EST, achesley@g... writes: > >
ha... >>
> > way to go, I hope to be riding at 58. Keep it up and do it
now,
> > Mike
Heck I can't even remember when I was 58. Roy Cope

texklr

riding alone

Post by texklr » Wed Mar 06, 2002 9:47 pm

--- In DSN_klr650@y..., "aches70546" wrote:
> Heck at 58 years old ya gotta know when to fold them ha ha ha.... > > Andy > Cajun Country
Howdy Andy - I'm still riding at age 63 and I ride alone. To tell the truth, a person is missing something great if they don't go solo at times. Ride safe Jim

TLrydr@aol.com

riding alone

Post by TLrydr@aol.com » Wed Mar 06, 2002 10:28 pm

In a message dated 3/6/02 9:11:06 PM EST, coaster@... writes: << Heck I can't even remember when I was 58. >> Yea, sometimers kicks in just before alltimers, lol Mike

millerized_2000

riding alone

Post by millerized_2000 » Thu Mar 07, 2002 6:26 am

I've got to admit, that's the only way I'll ride. Not that I don't like other people, and it's not because of my sparkling personality. I just enjoy the silence. Get around too many people, the noise just drowns you out. The silence of a thousand gunshots. But that's another solo thing! millerized a15
> > Howdy Andy - I'm still riding at age 63 and I ride alone. To tell > the truth, a person is missing something great if they don't go
solo
> at times. > > Ride safe > > Jim

Bogdan Swider

riding alone

Post by Bogdan Swider » Thu Mar 07, 2002 9:15 am

> I've got to admit, that's the only way I'll ride. Not that I don't > like other people, and it's not because of my sparkling personality. > I just enjoy the silence. Get around too many people, the noise just > drowns you out. The silence of a thousand gunshots. But that's > another solo thing! > millerized > a15 > >
Now there's one thing we can agree on. I enjoy an occasional group or duo ride but......I work with people and live with people therefore most of my ridding, especially long trips, is done alone. Bogdan

Krgrife@aol.com

riding alone

Post by Krgrife@aol.com » Thu Mar 07, 2002 4:18 pm

In a message dated 3/7/02 4:26:56 AM Pacific Standard Time, millerized_2000@... writes: << I've got to admit, that's the only way I'll ride. Not that I don't like other people, and it's not because of my sparkling personality. I just enjoy the silence. Get around too many people, the noise just drowns you out. The silence of a thousand gunshots. But that's another solo thing! >> I agree, that has always been my preference but after my Baja accident in January my vow was not to ride alone in such remote areas anymore. I had been getting away with it in Baja for 25 years but got a harsh reminder of possible consequences. I will be a little more cautious but do not plan to give it up entirely. I'm going to have surgery on the shoulder in a few weeks and then there will be 3-4 months of rehab before I can ride off pavement again so in total this accident will have kept me off the bike for around 8 months. That is the longest period I have gone without riding in the past 40 years. I'm going through pretty serious withdrawal. Regards, Kurt Grife

texklr

riding alone

Post by texklr » Thu Mar 07, 2002 5:25 pm

. I'm going to have surgery on the shoulder in a few
> weeks and then there will be 3-4 months of rehab before I can ride
off
> pavement again so in total this accident will have kept me off the
bike for
> around 8 months. That is the longest period I have gone without
riding in
> the past 40 years. I'm going through pretty serious withdrawal. > Regards, > Kurt Grife
Hey Kurt - I feel for you, brother. I messed up my shoulder (actually I added to damage already done) in May of last year. Mine was also done off road - I was leaving the road when I didn't really want to. I had rotator cuff surgery and was off the bike for about six weeks. When I asked the doctor if I could ride again, he said sure, just don't fall off. Insurance paid $2500 for the damage and the dealer fixed it for $850. Hope everything goes well for you. Ride safe Jim

John Irvine

riding alone

Post by John Irvine » Thu Mar 07, 2002 6:37 pm

--- Krgrife@... wrote:
> I agree, that has always been my preference but > after my Baja accident in > January my vow was not to ride alone in such remote > areas anymore.
Some aquaintences here in New Mex were riding the Continental Divide Trail a couple weeks ago and one crashed resulting in a couple of busted /cracker vertebra. He was very lucky to be with others who helped him out. I have done that same trail solo, crashed, and started to think aboutbeing stuck there for a few days. __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Try FREE Yahoo! Mail - the world's greatest free email! http://mail.yahoo.com/