who's got the parts bike? overflow hose routing, and broken stu

DSN_KLR650
InWoods13@aol.com

battery tenders nklr

Post by InWoods13@aol.com » Thu Feb 14, 2002 3:24 pm

Has anyone bought a Battery Tender Junior? Seems to have most of the features of the larger "Plus" model, but doesn't specifically state "designed to charge sealed batteries" as the Plus does. There's just about a 20.00 price difference between the two. Any thoughts on Yuasa's two models? Scott A14 "thunderdog" Sorrento, Fl

jon.sykes@ps.ge.com

battery tenders nklr

Post by jon.sykes@ps.ge.com » Thu Feb 14, 2002 5:04 pm

No, I just make sure I start, if not ride, my bike at least once a week - making such a device unneccessary. -----Original Message----- From: InWoods13@... [mailto:InWoods13@...] Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 2:24 PM To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com Subject: [DSN_klr650] Battery Tenders NKLR Has anyone bought a Battery Tender Junior? Seems to have most of the features of the larger "Plus" model, but doesn't specifically state "designed to charge sealed batteries" as the Plus does. There's just about a 20.00 price difference between the two. Any thoughts on Yuasa's two models? --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.323 / Virus Database: 180 - Release Date: 2/8/2002

don_detloff

battery tenders nklr

Post by don_detloff » Thu Feb 14, 2002 5:35 pm

> > Has anyone bought a Battery Tender Junior?
That's what I use and I have been very happy with it. I left it attached to the KLR's battery all last winter and only had to add a slight amount of water in the spring. I also kept the gas tank filled to the top with the proper amount of Stabil added. In the spring all I did was roll the bike out of the garage, hit the starter button and ride. I will probably buy a couple more of them. One for the Triumph and another for the Miata. It's easy enough to switch among the three vehicles, but it's easier to have one for each and forget about it for a few months. One reason I went with the Jr. version is it simply plugs into an outlet and is one less thing to trip over in the garage. Don Detloff Fair Haven, MI, USA '00 KLR650 '00 Triumph Sprint RS '64 Yamaha Trail 80 (ret.)

Fred Hink

battery tenders nklr

Post by Fred Hink » Thu Feb 14, 2002 6:30 pm

There is about a .5amp difference in the charging rates. .75amp vs. 1.25amp (I believe) Fred http://www.arrowheadmotorsports.com Utah Motorcycle Rally May 30 - June 2 http://www.canyonlandsmotorclassic.com
----- Original Message ----- From: To: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 2:24 PM Subject: [DSN_klr650] Battery Tenders NKLR > > Has anyone bought a Battery Tender Junior? > Seems to have most of the features of the larger "Plus" model, but doesn't > specifically state "designed to charge sealed batteries" as the Plus does. > There's just about a 20.00 price difference between the two. > > Any thoughts on Yuasa's two models? > > Scott > A14 "thunderdog" > Sorrento, Fl > > Checkout Dual Sport News at > http://www.dualsportnews.com > Be part of the Adventure! > > Visit the KLR650 archives at > http://www.listquest.com/lq/search.html?ln=klr650 > > Post message: DSN_klr650@yahoogroups.com > Subscribe: DSN_klr650-subscribe@yahoogroups.com > Unsubscribe: DSN_klr650-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > List owner: DSN_klr650-owner@yahoogroups.com > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > > >

azman321aaa

battery tenders nklr

Post by azman321aaa » Thu Feb 14, 2002 11:23 pm

February issue of Rider magazine has a good article on maintenance chargers. They said amperage isn't that important on maintenance chargers, because it takes relatively little to maintain a battery. The main difference is the number of stages a charger handles. They quoted 4 stages: Bulk (high volume of current for a depleted battery), Absorption (carefully finish a nearly charged battery), Equalization (removes sulfation from plates - a bad thing) and Float (maintains the battery at 100%, in theory). Battery Tender Jr. is .75 amps, and 2 stage for $39.95. Battery Tender Plus is 1.25 amps, and 3 stage for $59.95. Yuasa 1200901 is .9 amps and 3 stage for $41.95. Yuasa 1201501 is 1.5 amps and 5 stage for $59.95. Several others are also listed, and these are MSRP, which is sometimes discounted. My understanding is any will keep an undamaged battery at 100%. The extra stages on the Yuasa's purport to rehabilitate a battery damaged by sulfation (from non-use) if possible. Some also feature compensation for ambient temperature. Web sites are: www.batterytender.com and www.yuasabatteries.com. Jett
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., InWoods13@a... wrote: > > Has anyone bought a Battery Tender Junior? > Seems to have most of the features of the larger "Plus" model, but doesn't > specifically state "designed to charge sealed batteries" as the Plus does. > There's just about a 20.00 price difference between the two. > > Any thoughts on Yuasa's two models? > > Scott > A14 "thunderdog" > Sorrento, Fl

tomklr

battery tenders nklr

Post by tomklr » Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:59 am

In Nov. a friend and I bought 4 of the Battery Tender Plus units from Motorcycle Access Warehouse, the price including shipping averaged out to a little over $38 each. One of these failed within a couple of weeks of hooking it up. It was sent back under warranty, but it took several phone calls and a lot of follow-up before I got a new replacement unit. Took almost 5 weeks between my UPS shipping date and when it landed back on my doorstep. They now all seem to be working, we'll see how it goes in a couple of months when we pop the batteries back into the bikes. Tom '01 KLR

klrz4ever

battery tenders nklr

Post by klrz4ever » Fri Feb 15, 2002 7:26 am

Jon, Neither starting your bike nor short rides will keep your battery in good condition. The battery doesn't get charged at idle, and short rides may not be enough to recap the charge lost through the normal discharge that takes place over time. One thing you can do is keep your battery clean and dry so it doesn't discharge quicker by making a connection between the terminals via the grunge on the top. Arden Kysely
--- In DSN_klr650@y..., jon.sykes@p... wrote: > No, I just make sure I start, if not ride, my bike at least once a week - > making such a device unneccessary.

klrz4ever

battery tenders nklr

Post by klrz4ever » Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:04 am

>It's easy enough to switch among the three > vehicles, but it's easier to have one for each and forget about it > for a few months.
I wouldn't want to totally forget about it, as some charging takes place over those months that will use up the electrolyte in the battery. It might be wise to check your battery fluid level at least once a month until you know how much is being used. They don't like to run low and will last longer if they are kept topped up. Arden Kysely, SoCal (what's winter?)

klrz4ever

battery tenders nklr

Post by klrz4ever » Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:20 am

> There is about a .5amp difference in the charging rates. .75amp
vs. 1.25amp
> (I believe) > > Fred
Fred's correct, according to www.batterytender.com. The Battery Tender Plus also puts out 18 watts vs. 9 for the Junior, and features a 3-step (bulk/absorbtion/float) charging algorith where the Junior has a 2-step (bulk/float). There's lots of info on their web site, certainly more than I understand. Arden

InWoods13@aol.com

battery tenders nklr

Post by InWoods13@aol.com » Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:16 pm

In a message dated 2/14/02 6:37:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, ddetloff@... writes:
> Has anyone bought a Battery Tender Junior?
That's what I use and I have been very happy with it. I left it attached to the KLR's battery all last winter and only had to add a slight amount of water in the spring. I also kept the gas tank filled to the top with the proper amount of Stabil added. In the spring all I did was roll the bike out of the garage, hit the starter button and ride. I will probably buy a couple more of them. One for the Triumph and another for the Miata. It's easy enough to switch among the three vehicles, but it's easier to have one for each and forget about it for a few months. One reason I went with the Jr. version is it simply plugs into an outlet and is one less thing to trip over in the garage. Don Detloff Fair Haven, MI, USA >> Great! Thanks Don. I need it for the multiple bike/project bike thing. -Scott A14 "thunderdog" Sorrento, Fl